Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ghostface
crap! i just typed up a long post and accidentally closed the tab before i submitted!! rar! I'll try to remember it roughly.

thanks sheridan for your inspiring number. I hoped to match my LC rate, but you give me hope I can do even better which I wasn't expecting.

I ate some pizza for lunch and made some comment about it not being really satisfying etc, but then there's always the day after tomorrow

I asked about meal replacement shakes. i feel like a robot sometimes and if i had a nutritionist that just handed me things to eat when to eat them, I would be fin with that and follow it and probably do just fine. it's when I have to think for myself and have options. thats why I think LC worked for me, I just knew what I couldn't eat and just didn't eat that and ate whatever else within reasonable carb range. and i think thats why juddd sounds good is I can figure out some "automatic" dd routine and just do it and won't care, and then on up days I won't have to think too much either and will be able to just eat whatever within reason.

I've never been a breakfast person at all so I can already see my dd's will be me just not eating anything till late afternoon or even maybe just eating a 500 cal dinner. i like the idea of spacing out tiny meals, but that has always been a pain, too much thinking

so I was thinking about some kind of low cal meal replacement shake for lunch/afternoon and then some ~300cal dinner of real food. that would probably be the same every dd because i'm a robot. does this sound reasonable or good/bad idea? any suggestions on meal replacement suggestions? I would ocassionally get low carb slimfast shakes when i felt like I wasn't eating enough on LC and those were fine and reasonably filling/satisfying, i could see that working for a dd which is why I'm asking. has anyone done all meal replacement shake style down days cause i could see my robot brain being fine with that also.

Last edited by ghostface; 06-21-2012 at 11:31 AM..
ghostface is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
Sheridan's Helpful Hint For Newbies:

Dig out a pair of pants that you can't fit into that you've hidden in the back of your closet. If that's not possible, go to a thrift/charity shop and buy a pair of pants that are somewhat too small to get into. Try those pants on frequently, especially if you show no downward movement on the scale. You will almost certainly be amazed at the changes your body is making even though you may not see it documented on the scale. Pants are a much better tool to show progress than is the scale. As you are able to fit comfortably into the tight pants, go get another pair to use as a gauge.

Another thing is to go out and get a measuring tape and measure yourself right at the beginning and periodically retake those measurements. Very often you will find you're shrinking even though the scale doesn't show it.

DMIL gave me a ton of her size 14 jeans, and I think of you every time I try them on. I can get them zipped and buttoned, but it's not pretty . . . yet!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface View Post
crap! i just typed up a long post and accidentally closed the tab before i submitted!! rar! I'll try to remember it roughly.

thanks sheridan for your inspiring number. I hoped to match my LC rate, but you give me hope I can do even better which I wasn't expecting.

I ate some pizza for lunch and made some comment about it not being really satisfying etc, but then there's always the day after tomorrow

I asked about meal replacement shakes. i feel like a robot sometimes and if i had a nutritionist that just handed me things to eat when to eat them, I would be fin with that and follow it and probably do just fine. it's when I have to think for myself and have options. thats why I think LC worked for me, I just knew what I couldn't eat and just didn't eat that and ate whatever else within reasonable carb range. and i think thats why juddd sounds good is I can figure out some "automatic" dd routine and just do it and won't care, and then on up days I won't have to think too much either and will be able to just eat whatever within reason.

I've never been a breakfast person at all so I can already see my dd's will be me just not eating anything till late afternoon or even maybe just eating a 500 cal dinner. i like the idea of spacing out tiny meals, but that has always been a pain, too much thinking

so I was thinking about some kind of low cal meal replacement shake for lunch/afternoon and then some ~300cal dinner of real food. that would probably be the same every dd because i'm a robot. does this sound reasonable or good/bad idea? any suggestions on meal replacement suggestions? I would ocassionally get low carb slimfast shakes when i felt like I wasn't eating enough on LC and those were fine and reasonably filling/satisfying, i could see that working for a dd which is why I'm asking.
Sounds like a perfect plan to me. I do best when I have pretty much the same things over and over on a DD. It's usually yogurt or protein shake in the morning, chili in the afternoon, and DH chooses dinner. It's much easier with little variation, so you DON'T have to think. Once you find what keeps you satisfied, it works like a charm. Best of luck to you!
Old 06-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Stats: 227/175/? 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: started JUDDD 3/22/2012
Quote:

so I was thinking about some kind of low cal meal replacement shake for lunch/afternoon and then some ~300cal dinner of real food. that would probably be the same every dd because i'm a robot. does this sound reasonable or good/bad idea? any suggestions on meal replacement suggestions? I would ocassionally get low carb slimfast shakes when i felt like I wasn't eating enough on LC and those were fine and reasonably filling/satisfying, i could see that working for a dd which is why I'm asking. has anyone done all meal replacement shake style down days cause i could see my robot brain being fine with that also.
I think that sounds like a good plan to start with. Many people here use a "rote menu" for their DD. I'm not one who has ever been satisfied with shakes, but many are. My personal two cents is the longer a person can hold off eating on a DD and then eat real food within the DD calorie allotment, the easier it will be for them in the long run to really incorporate this way of eating/living into their "real life" (as opposed to "dieting life"). But that's just my opinion. I've mentioned on the forum before that I pretty much ate the JUDDD way for many, many years and was quite slender. I never used shakes on my low days but just "ate very carefully", and it wasn't anything I really had to pay close attention to. Everyone is different, though, so find your groove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
DMIL gave me a ton of her size 14 jeans, and I think of you every time I try them on. I can get them zipped and buttoned, but it's not pretty . . . yet!
But it WILL be *very pretty when you can!

Truly, being able to fit into stuff that was impossible to zip or button or wear without looking like a can of refrigerator biscuits exploded (y'all know what I'm talking about!) is far more inspiring to me than any number on the scale. I like it when the scale goes down, you bet, but the clothes thing gives me a much bigger positive reinforcement/rush.

JUDDD has changed my life
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #35
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 59 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
"or wear without looking like a can of refrigerator biscuits exploded "
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Sounds like a perfect plan to me. I do best when I have pretty much the same things over and over on a DD. It's usually yogurt or protein shake in the morning, chili in the afternoon, and DH chooses dinner. It's much easier with little variation, so you DON'T have to think. Once you find what keeps you satisfied, it works like a charm. Best of luck to you!
thanks for the response. in searching around I saw some post where you mentioned wendy's chili and i thought, that's a good idea.

you've had some great success on juddd it seems. am i reading it right from your profile there that you're down about 60 lbs since you started roughly 6 months ago?
Old 06-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #37

Quote:
thanks for the response. in searching around I saw some post where you mentioned wendy's chili and i thought, that's a good idea.

you've had some great success on juddd it seems. am i reading it right from your profile there that you're down about 60 lbs since you started roughly 6 months ago?
That's right. I'm one who actually lost better on JUDDD than I ever did with Atkins. I also took most of last month as a maintenance break because I've been dealing with some thyroid issues, so not all of that time has been "nose to the grindstone" dieting, though I have always stuck to my rotations and been within my calorie limits. I just increased to a higher level DD when I was giving my body a break. I cannot sing JUDDD's praises enough.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
"or wear without looking like a can of refrigerator biscuits exploded "
I admit I have a pair of jeans that I keep trying on & have witnessed this "look" on myself.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #39

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Ghostface , you are going to do great here I can just tell. So much great advice already but I just wanted to say hi!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #40
Junior LCF Member

thanks for all the warm welcome. lol @ pants don't lie.

I have many pairs of progress marker pants that I accumulated on my rise that I've already gotten too small for a couple of pairs, but a few more pairs to go LOL
Old 06-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Lower Carb/JUDDD
I dont know if anyone told you. But if you start adding in carbs once you start JUDDD, dont be discouraged by a quick up swing of the scale!! The carbs will throw a few water pounds on you, but by your 2-3 DD the scale should swing back down!!!

Welcome to JUDDD!!! Love this place.....Think you will too!!!

Last edited by krow134; 06-21-2012 at 05:56 PM..
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #42
Junior LCF Member

thanks, i probably won't even weigh myself for the first week, and after that I'll probably only do it after down days.

first down day today... so happy to eat an apple. and later a progresso soup for 200 or so calories! so excited. i love chunky soups and know you can get/make a lot relatively low calorie, but carbs...never could eat soups really without special making something.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amlyjo
Stats: 332/310/175
WOE: LC-HF-MP
Start Date: June 2013
I use the EAS Carb Control shakes on my DDs. They are 110 cals and 17gms protein. I don't plan them specifically but I like to have them in the fridge for when I need to rush out the door. I have even blended it into a smoothie with a 1/2c of frozen berries and 2c frozen spinach. That I was able to sip on for a while and was quite good.
amlyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #44
Junior LCF Member

oh good idea. i think i bought those exact ones once when i went to get the slimfast kind and they were out. those are really low cal, but i think they had more carbs than the slimfast one so I was kinda turned off by that. thanks!
Old 06-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If she is talking about the same EAS that I am thinking of, they only have 2 carb and 17 protein. I could never drink them alone, but mixed with fruit or whey they would be much better. If it will get you the nutrition for 110 cals that is a win-win.

Last edited by sunday; 06-22-2012 at 09:13 PM..
Old 06-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #46
Junior LCF Member

so curiosity got the best of me and I weighed myself this morning (after my first DD) -3lbs to 250. probably a fluke and i wouldn't have been discouraged either way, but curiosity was killing me, and i was totally surprised. I still thinking weighing myself only after down days will keep the bounce down and not toy with my emotions lol

and my first down day i ate an apple, cup of popcorn and 2 campbells harvest select soups spaced throughout the day and i felt totally satisfied and fine.

Last edited by ghostface; 06-23-2012 at 12:40 PM..
Old 06-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
That's excellent for a first DD!!!
The -3lbs is not unusual, but definitely impressive!!!
That is to say--probably not a fluke. That's just what DDs do...they're magical!

Glad you found it easy.
The math *is* fun, I think!
I hope this is something that will work out for you, and that you will enjoy for a long time!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #48
Junior LCF Member

haha thanks, i'm excited for my second up day.

I must admit though i grossly mismanaged my first up day and ate most of my daily calories at like noon (estimated in my mind what it was roughly, then after i ate actually looked it up), and had to cool it in the evening, so I did have a little bit of a hunger headache in the morning of my first down day, and I was annoyed at myself for not planning my first up day better and quickly realized if i'm gonna do some "blow almost your whole day's calories on a meal" thing, it should definitely be closer to the end of the day to help carry over into your down day.

but such is life with noob growing pains.

gonna go eat whatever will tickle my fancy today, within reason (and i will check first this time )
Old 06-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #49
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Stats: 227/175/? 5'8"
Start Date: started JUDDD 3/22/2012
Quote:
haha thanks, i'm excited for my second up day.

I must admit though i grossly mismanaged my first up day and ate most of my daily calories at like noon (estimated in my mind what it was roughly, then after i ate actually looked it up), and had to cool it in the evening, so I did have a little bit of a hunger headache in the morning of my first down day, and I was annoyed at myself for not planning my first up day better and quickly realized if i'm gonna do some "blow almost your whole day's calories on a meal" thing, it should definitely be closer to the end of the day to help carry over into your down day.

but such is life with noob growing pains.

gonna go eat whatever will tickle my fancy today, within reason (and i will check first this time )
We were ALL n00bs once! You're learning and that's great!

I think your strategy is a good one to help manage your DDs.

I think you're going to do very well with this.
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Ghostface, my DH has lost about 20 lb more on Juddd. It has been quite easy for him as he gets to eat lots more than 500 calories on DD. It's the UD that are difficult for him. How is it going for you.
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #51
Junior LCF Member

thanks for following up. how long has your husband been doing it. what do u mean by his up days are tougher?
Old 06-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Showcats
Stats: 193/168.6/150 5'6" Age 48
Start Date: 4/1/12 (177.8)
Muffabuff, my DH is the same way - does great on DD but his problem is that he doesn't eat enough on UD. He is in maintenance but still has the diet mentality where he thinks if he eats all of his UD calories he will gain weight.
Showcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Ghostface I started 3/26 and DH joined me within a couple of weeks. The UD are more difficult for him because he can never eat all his calories. It seems like a lot of the DH's have that problem.
Showcats, my DH only had about 30 lbs or so to lose so he doesn't have any of those fears. He just gets moody and doesn't feel like eating sometimes. I try to keep candy bars in the house, ones that he likes but I don't. That's usually good for about 250 calories. Tell him if he were to gain a bit he can go right back on WLM and drop it right away. Isn't he more likely to gain if he eats too few on his UD?
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
so curiosity got the best of me and I weighed myself this morning (after my first DD) -3lbs to 250. probably a fluke and i wouldn't have been discouraged either way, but curiosity was killing me, and i was totally surprised. I still thinking weighing myself only after down days will keep the bounce down and not toy with my emotions lol

and my first down day i ate an apple, cup of popcorn and 2 campbells harvest select soups spaced throughout the day and i felt totally satisfied and fine.
Swwweeeeeeeeet!!! Good for you!
Old 06-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Showcats
Stats: 193/168.6/150 5'6" Age 48
Start Date: 4/1/12 (177.8)
He loses so quickly so I am not sure why he is concerned. He lost over 30 pounds in 3 months on Weight Watchers and maintained for over 6 years so he is used to eating around 1400 or so calories and maintaining so his UD calories seem so high to him. That's why I told him his DD calories are 800 and he believes me and didn't calculate them himself. He loves peanut butter and I don't so I make sure we have that in the house.
Showcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Yes, you have to look for the Carb Control shakes. Locally my grocery store and Wally World have them. 2g net carbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
If she is talking about the same EAS that I am thinking of, they only have 2 carb and 17 protein. I could never drink them alone, but mixed with fruit or whey they would be much better. If it will get you the nutrition for 110 cals that is a win-win.
Huh. I like them. Actually I wish they weren't so expensive and I would have 2 a day for my DDs. I have yet to find a protein powder I like. Don't want to do soy. Any ideas? I like the shake idea from Dr. J, but don't know what to get other than these EAS or maybe even Atkins, but they are all so spendy in pre-made form.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #57
Junior LCF Member

i agree amlyjo, I don't mind either one. i went to target yesterday and bought some low carb EAS strawberry for 100cal, and then i thought, maybe the higher carb one with slightly more cals would be useful too so I bought a 4pack of those also. of course this was on an up day after i had dinner at cracker barrel feeling good about the world.

now on my down day, I opened the fridge and looked at the 170 vs 100 and thought "why in the world did I think i'd be ok with a 170cal shake on a down day" lol

but regarding the price. the low carb eas advantage shakes were on sale at target for like 4.xx regularly 6.78 or something like that. just fyi in case anyone ones to stock a few.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlyjo View Post
Yes, you have to look for the Carb Control shakes. Locally my grocery store and Wally World have them. 2g net carbs.

Huh. I like them. Actually I wish they weren't so expensive and I would have 2 a day for my DDs. I have yet to find a protein powder I like. Don't want to do soy. Any ideas? I like the shake idea from Dr. J, but don't know what to get other than these EAS or maybe even Atkins, but they are all so spendy in pre-made form.
Sun Warrior shakes are vegan and no soy! They're somewhat pricey, and I've only tried the vanilla warrior blend so far, but am happy with it. 84 calories per scoop. The rice blend only has 70 calories per scoop too, but they don't have that one at my store. I'll be ordering it when I run out of the warrior blend.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlyjo View Post

Don't mind me, I have difficulty drinking anything already processed. I couldn't drink muscle milk either! I have used the "Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey" and it does not have any soy. I have also used just plain whey protein and mix with almond or coconut milk. My fav smoothie, is very simple 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt, blueberries, 1/3 banana, Barlean's fortiflax, lots of ice and Hyperimmune Egg protein.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:12 AM   #60

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Ghostface, love the -3 already, you are doing this right! Being in the UK I don't know what dinner at Cracker Barrel might consist of but I am glad it made your world a happier place.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote