Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Wanted to share my DD tip (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/775700-wanted-share-my-dd-tip.html)

sorenkkg 06-19-2012 08:09 PM

Wanted to share my DD tip

As I started to write this, I realized this probably isn't new to a lot of folks. It's not even really new to me, but for some reason the last week or so, I feel like I had an ah-ha moment :hiya:

I plan my DD in advance, at least the night before, and here's my newest thing: I plan it backwards!

I use *********, and I put in my nightly snack first (usually almond milk or my new frozen almond milk recipe), then a nice dinner.

Then I see what I have left, and use that for lunch.

For me, night's when I'm hungriest, and sitting with DH while he eats is kinda hard (though on dd's, he mostly gets leftovers :D ), so I plan for a large volume of food, lots of veggies, and a biggish serving of protein.

Anyway- I feel I'm onto something for myself, and wanted to share. Ymmv of course, etc :)

Happy juddding, buddds!
Soren

skyesmom2002 06-19-2012 08:50 PM

I actually have never done this, but I like the sound of it. I think I'll try it for my next DD. What I normally do is fast till I can't take it anymore. I eat a snack or two and then a smaller scale dinner. I know, not a great plan. This sounds better :).

PhoebeHerself 06-19-2012 08:59 PM

Simple and obvious! Love it! Thank you for sharing!

amlyjo 06-19-2012 10:10 PM

Thanks for sharing this idea! I just planned out my DD tomorrow, backwards, since I too have trouble later in the day. It was helpful to plan for that late night snack and good dinner first. I even searched out a recipe that I want to try, and I might not have done that if I didn't think ahead carefully tonight.

:high5:

sammycat 06-20-2012 12:38 AM

Thanks Soren, I plan my DD the night before too on ***, but start with breakfast.

Great idea to start backwards as my hungry time is at night too.

:goodpost:

babykinz 06-20-2012 01:50 AM

Pretty brilliant.

gotsomeold 06-20-2012 02:43 AM

:jumpjoy::jumpjoy: Soren! That is so practical and positive. "Get to know yourself, figure out when your 'hungry' times usually happen, plan to ensure those times are not traps." You are Brilliant!

sorenkkg 06-20-2012 06:38 AM

:o

you guys are the best! I seriously wasn't going to post it, but I thought, maybe this helps a couple people?

Such great JUDDD BUDDDs! :heart::heart::heart:

Wallee 06-20-2012 06:41 AM

Great idea!! Sounds so simple but it sure never crossed my mind, I like it! Thanks!!

Joyjoy 06-20-2012 07:00 AM

Thanks, Soren. I'm going to try this with my UDs. DDs are easier for me, but on my UDs, there's still this tiny omg panic during the day as I see the number of calories remaining go down on an online counter. Your idea might be the perfect solution.:jumpjoy:

jodeeras 06-20-2012 08:02 AM

:clap:
Great idea. I also like joyjoy's idea of planning backward on UDs. On UDs I tend to eat a lot of calories for breakfast and feel a little panicky for the rest of the day.

Yam-Yam 06-20-2012 08:40 AM

Wow, that's a great tip! Never thought of it this way. The only time I thought like that was when I knew I was going out to a social dinner the next day (a DD) and definitely didn't want to change my rotation. Being familiar with the restaurant, I sort of planned backwards because I knew what I would be eating there.

This is a super idea for every DD! Thanks for sharing. And, hey, don't ever hold back on the good ideas!:jumpjoy::jumpjoy:

RenoMom 06-20-2012 08:41 AM

Good idea, I should have done this today, I brought a lunch of 350 cals and now only have 100 left for tonight, family is having smoked chicken so Ill have a few bites but not much.

Whitlin' 06-20-2012 08:47 AM

I do plan in advance, but never really thought of planning the "most-likely-culprit" meal first! :shake: In a line-up of meals, I'd have to pick out my evening eating as the usual suspect. It's the one that sometimes doesn't play nicely with others.

Thanks, soren, and also Kristin and Jo for seeing the UD application.

b_lou_who 06-20-2012 09:00 AM

awesome share! it does pay to plan around the meal(s) you know you will eat

CarolinaCoast 06-03-2013 02:29 AM

Bump

Alcestis 06-03-2013 06:03 AM

Thanks for bumping. This is such a brilliant idea! :)

Scarlett46 06-03-2013 06:22 AM

I do this too... sort of. I always try to plan my days ahead of time, for sure. When I don't, is when I get into trouble! And I plan whatever is expected to be my biggest meal first - after my coffee & creamer, which I have every day. Usually, it's dinner in my family too. But sometimes if I know we're having a pot luck at work for lunch, or I'm going to be traveling and won't have time to stop for dinner... I'll plan a larger meal earlier in the day. I play around with adding and removing things from the online calorie counter until it looks right to me!

ohcmb 06-03-2013 08:08 AM

I have been planning my days ahead of time and really like this!

I also planned my UD on saturday similarly

sorenkkg 06-03-2013 09:12 AM

I still do this :) I find planning an UD leads to much less UUAAD behavior, and planning DDs ensures you have the right foods on hand, and you can plan around an event or have your favorite food or whatever.

:)
S.

stephdray 06-03-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jodeeras (Post 15739053)
:clap:
Great idea. I also like joyjoy's idea of planning backward on UDs. On UDs I tend to eat a lot of calories for breakfast and feel a little panicky for the rest of the day.

I second this. And JoyJoy's comments, too.

sorenkkg 06-03-2013 02:16 PM

Oh YES! I do this basically every day. I plan the meals I *want* to eat with the food I *want* to eat. The other meal (lunch) or meals (depending on the day) I then figure out what fits to the remaining calories.

For example, b/c this happens a lot-- I'm still very much a MEAT EATER. Like, I don't mess around with 4oz hamburgers on an UD, ya know? ;) I want like a 16oz steak, or at least, I want the caloric "room" for that much. Maybe I'll eat it, maybe I won't. Or a rack of ribs, or whatever.

So I plan the day around that (say, 1000 cal for dinner or more even) and then I might skip breakfast and have a good lunch, or a bigger breakfast and a salad for lunch, whatever shakes out.

I think the point is that planning is key, and planning for whatever the meal is you want, and more importantly, the REALITY of how you are going to eat, is the key.

ya know?
:) S.

stephdray 06-03-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorenkkg (Post 16453419)
Oh YES! I do this basically every day. I plan the meals I *want* to eat with the food I *want* to eat. The other meal (lunch) or meals (depending on the day) I then figure out what fits to the remaining calories.

For example, b/c this happens a lot-- I'm still very much a MEAT EATER. Like, I don't mess around with 4oz hamburgers on an UD, ya know? ;) I want like a 16oz steak, or at least, I want the caloric "room" for that much. Maybe I'll eat it, maybe I won't. Or a rack of ribs, or whatever.

So I plan the day around that (say, 1000 cal for dinner or more even) and then I might skip breakfast and have a good lunch, or a bigger breakfast and a salad for lunch, whatever shakes out.

I think the point is that planning is key, and planning for whatever the meal is you want, and more importantly, the REALITY of how you are going to eat, is the key.

ya know?
:) S.

I also slate that much for dinner and I always have that plan of eating modestly during the day to accommodate it on an up day. That plan usually gets blown apart because I wake up hungry and cannot seem to settle down until I've wolfed down about 900 calories for breakfast. I've been trying to find ways to combat this so as to get control of up day calories again.

Planning in broccoli and fruit helps a lot.