Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: circusgirl
Stats: 219/185/140
WOE: primal/paleo-currently HCG
Start Date: August 1999 primal, HCG in 2010
Hmmmm.

Disclaimer-I'm only sharing my experience, not making any suggestions. I figured it might be interesting for some!

I've been at this since the end of April if I remember correctly. This is the first week I've seen a number below my starting weight. I feel fabulous, and am not questioning the program at all.

I came to JUDDD after a long round of hcg, so the lack of losses weren't suprising. I knew my body was just trying to catch up with the previous losses. No biggie.

For reference I use my 35% number. I have a lot to lose, but coming off hcg I didn't want to push it. Plus I learned while doing hcg that I do better with higher than suggested cals.

One day, after being super strict for weeks I ate extra on my DD. The next day I saw my first big drop. I shared here and got feedback that my body was probably working to release long before that and it was a coincidence. I agreed.

Now it's been longer, and I had two other days where I ate extra on my dd's on days that were hectic and I was out of the house for 18 hours a day. And now the 3 days have been the ONLY time I've seen drops that were significant. I don't think this is a coincidence anymore.

I am not going to up my DD's. But I do think that it's not the worst idea to have a higher cal DD for me every 3-4 weeks. I seem to be the odd person that is really helped by shaking things up and eating a bit more than suggested. I plan to do it again in a few weeks just out of curiosity. If I lose more without doing it, that blows my theory (and I'd love to have it blown!) If that's the next significant loss I have, then I might be on to something *for me.*

Still loving JUDDD, thanks for all the encouragement!
circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I find I lose best if I jump around on DD - anything from near-fasting to about 600 cals. Keeping the same pattern DD after DD, I did lose. But I lose faster doing the JUDDD hippity-hoppity.

How far over did you go? MD level? UD level? Couple of hundred calorie level? Your experiment sounds like a good plan. You might even try having a weekly high DD.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

maybe 100 cals more? 150?

sorry, hit send to quickly.

Not a MD and certainly not an UD. Just a little extra.

Last edited by circusgirl; 06-19-2012 at 09:31 AM..
Old 06-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Did you go above 35%? I am just curious because I have noticed this same for me. I have seen quite a few others that have had slow losses report this. I believe Dawn was another.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, and I have been doing JUDDD since Feb 1, with only 23 lbs lost. I must admit the first month can't be counted though, because I lost my brother and my whole world was thrown upside down.

Last edited by sunday; 06-19-2012 at 10:08 AM..
Old 06-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

yup, I usually am at 35% and went a bit over.

two days ago on a dd I had my usual lunch, and instead of my 300 cal dinner I had chicken wings I marinated in tamari and ginger. DEFINITELY not dd friendly! That was probably more like 200 extra calories and lo and behold I dropped 2 pounds the next day, and then only went up a half a pound after yesterday's UD. That leaves me at my lowest weight yet.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Oh, and I have been doing this since Feb 1, with only 23 lbs lost. I must admit the first month can't be counted though, because I lost my brother and my whole world was thrown upside down.
I'm so sorry about your brother. I hope things are feeling a bit better each day and that he is at peace.

But ONLY 23 pounds? That's fantastic!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you. He was my baby brother, but was very special to me.

I am not complaining about the weight loss, but I am definitely like you are saying a "slow loser" . I think the problem with me also lies in my work and that during school year my food is prepared, so I tend to eat what is made and make it fit within JUDDD. In the summer and off season, I can really play with my menu and have the things that will work best. I ate a lot of soup, miracle noodles & salad on DD during school. Now, I can have some of my fav foods and still keep the calories down.

I have noticed that 35% (700) with 20% (360) sprinkled in sporadically is working as well, maybe better. I will know more when I can figure out what my UD should best be... I can eat up to 1783, but find it very difficult... almost like work. EVCO was helping in this department and it is a good thing that I like the cocoa crack!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 06-19-2012 at 10:03 AM..
Old 06-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just started the higher 35% DD days in May, but noticed my losses were not good in April and all of sudden started losing again.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I started at 185.8 and jumped to 196 or so the first week. Part of that was adding carbs back, so I just kept plodding along. When I go to 20% I am miserable and don't lose...a few times I gained!

35% is fine for me. And just today stepped on the scale to see 184.9.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sammycat
Stats: 139/134/125
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2012
Sorry to hear about the loss of your brother sunday.

23lbs is great, well done.

I've only been on JUDDD for a week, but my DD calories do vary between 400-600 with an aim to 500.

This may be the answer for some. Thanks for sharing circus girl.
sammycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by circusgirl View Post
I started at 185.8 and jumped to 196 or so the first week. Part of that was adding carbs back, so I just kept plodding along. When I go to 20% I am miserable and don't lose...a few times I gained!

35% is fine for me. And just today stepped on the scale to see 184.9.
I do believe you have found the magic number for you! I love that this way of eating is specialized for each of us. I never knew adding carbs would cause that much gain, but I quickly decided that I can't add sugar carbs. I get physically ill. I can have fruit and veggie carbs and that is delightful!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

forgot to add that my ultimate goal is 145. I am fairly muscular and definitely have a large frame. 40 pounds is not exactly chump change, if you know what I mean. I should be able to release at least the next 20-25 pounds easily. I think my body a. needed a rest after a prolonged VLCD, and b. just needs more cals for a few reasons (autoimmune disease being one significant one.)

Part of it may have something to do with being a fast oxidizer. I'm not sure about that, but I think it may be related.

I don't plan to ever go above 1000 cals on a dd. But apparently sporadically hitting 850-900 isn't an issue.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammycat View Post
Sorry to hear about the loss of your brother sunday.

23lbs is great, well done.

I've only been on JUDDD for a week, but my DD calories do vary between 400-600 with an aim to 500.

This may be the answer for some. Thanks for sharing circus girl.
Thank you Sammycat.

I am glad you are doing JUDDD. It is wise to do the induction as the book says and then experiment after you have been JUDDDing for about 8 weeks. The losses will come naturally and you may be surprised at being at goal before you even need to experiment!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just wondering what fast oxidizer means? I have not studied this? I have no doubt that you will reach your goal and enjoy the journey along the way!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Oh, and I have been doing JUDDD since Feb 1, with only 23 lbs lost. I must admit the first month can't be counted though, because I lost my brother and my whole world was thrown upside down.
So sorry about the loss of your brother. I also lost a brother in February and did not even think about trying to lose that month. He was the second brother I lost in a span of six months.

Even though I did not lose anything in February, I did not gain either. Then I had a good 6 pound loss in March.

For me, I lose best if I stay under my 360 calories which is 20%. Right now with my crazy travel schedule I've had a tough time staying that low.

Most of the time these past few weeks I'm eating more at a maintenance level and I am maintaining. Can't complain. This is the longest I've stuck with a plan, lost a big chunk of weight and kept it off in years.

Even if I maintain for another month before I get back into some more serious losses, I'm good. The main thing is that I FEEL so great! I'm much thinner (from size 18 to comfortable size 12 and even one pair of size 10 jeans).

Learning to maintain my losses is a huge victory for me. Thanks to JUDD I think I can keep to a maintain then lose then maintain then lose some more pattern for the rest of my life. This is actually an enjoyable wol!!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Just wondering what fast oxidizer means? I have not studied this? I have no doubt that you will reach your goal and enjoy the journey along the way!
thank you!

William Wolcott wrote the Metabolic Typing Diet and a few others have picked it up along the way.

Basically the way I feel best is no sugar, almost no carbs and lots of fatty meat. I burn through things so fast, I need caloric density.

Other people are mixed oxidizers and need protein and carbs to feel good.

Some are slow oxidizers and can have a diet very high in carbs and feel awesome.

There's an online test somewhere so you can determine your type.

I am just wondering if my "fast oxidization" means that I need more cals than someone who is a mixed or slow type?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

here's one...it's not as good as some others, but it will give you an idea:

Oxidizer Test (From Jillian Michaels) « Lucky Taste Buds!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
This is very interesting. It's as though you're upping the "intermittent" in intermittent fasting.
I suspect that, not only are we different from each other, we change day by day and month by month. I appreciate the numbers on the charts - otherwise we'd just fling our arms in the air and have no starting point and no direction - but surely it's constructive to have a bag of tweaks we can experiment with when we sense we've really and truly stalled.
The understandable downside is that I might start grabbing at tweaks before giving Juddd a chance to work as written.
Wonderful discussion. Wonderful learning. I hope you continue to update for us.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow! Thanks for the info on oxidizer! I had never heard of this, will take the test and report back.

YamYam, It is never easy and you have had double the loss!

I am so impressed with your sizes and inches lost! I have only gone down one size comfortably, but can see the inches and know that I am getting there.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/192/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
Very interesting. Its says I am by far a fast oxidizer but I have no clue what that means. I'll have to look into it later.
brewstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by circusgirl View Post
I am just wondering if my "fast oxidization" means that I need more cals than someone who is a mixed or slow type?
I bet it does.

Tina describes some people as burning right through caloric stress response into starvation mode (I love that 'burning right through' description). Makes me wonder if you are a burner.

What a fascinating thread! I am off to find the test!
Old 06-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March, 2009
circusgirl, I agree with Kristin's take on this, regarding the very definition of "intermittent".

After all, the SIRT-1 gene is called the rescue gene because it comes into play "when food supplies are unpredictable or sporadic", which was more likely than not all our ancestor's situations until very recent history.

After you had made certain the SIRT-1 gene was activated, maybe your unpredictable, sporadic diet changes were the very conditions the SIRT-1 gene was ready to use well to your advantage, for a healthy weight.
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Nancy,
that's what it feels like. pretty much exactly. and that's why I assume it's what's happening. if my cals drop too low I stop losing. I don't do well with fasting and I require a good amount of protein or I'm catabolizing muscle. That's why I upped my cals on hcg, and why I did it here too. I was spilling protein in my urine.

It's the only thing I can think of in terms of why cutting cals really low doesn't at all work for me.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #25
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Glad you are finding what works for you! Successful weight loss is the goal, well.. in addition to improved health too, of course. It sounds like you are learning your body and how it responds.

And whether the DD with a few extra calories was truly responsible for the actual weight loss, or triggered your fat cells to release the water from cells that had already been emptied of fat previously, (which is what I suspect) doesn't matter as much as the fact that weight loss is occurring, and you are able to see physical results as the number on the scale goes down.

You are doing what it takes, and you are reaping the benefits! Good job! One true thing about weight loss is, you earn every pound of your success. It's not one of those things where somebody else can *take the test for you*... Somebody else can't do the work for you, rake the leaves for you or do the dishes for you. When it comes to losing weight, it's up to us to do what it takes, or it doesn't happen. You're making it happen!
Old 06-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, I found the online test and laughed my way through it. Ultimately, it serves as a testament to how completely JUDDD has transformed me.

If I had taken the test six months ago, (before JUDDD) I would have been a fast oxidizer. After six months on JUDDD, I am a balanced oxidizer.

I have seen vast changes in my relationship to all foods. Sweets no longer give me a sugar spike, even if I want one. Carbs, refined or veggie/fruit are just a pleasant form of food that I enjoy...just as I enjoy meats and fats and so on.

I knew things had changed drastically. But I never expected a test would validate the change.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Nancy: That is just plain cool!!!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

that's incredible. JUDDD is changing me too. I'm still a fast oxidizer, but I'm closer to mixed or balanced. I suspect I may one day hit mixed. I never used to be able to handle carbs at all, and after just, what? 8 weeks on JUDDD? I can. There's no crazy spikes anymore. I just still feel better after protein, but I can eat carbs with it!
Old 06-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yam-Yam, do an internet search on 'Metabolic fast oxidizer online test'. The test is in caloriecount.about. It is slightly diff from the one circus posted.

Circus, I went through those transitions. I know you are enjoying the journey...isn't it wonderful?!?!!!

I find myself wondering what happens after several years on JUDDD. The future does look good.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #30
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Oh, fun to take the test. I am apparently a very strongly balanced oxidizer. Hardly any A or C answers but very strong in the B answers. So it said I like and do well eating everything. I could have told them that! My trouble is remembering to limit my portions of it all.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote