Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 11:27 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Amlyjo and It certainly sounds like you understand the principles of Juddd not to mention the realities of weight loss. I'm looking forward to reading about your losses.
Vanessa
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2012, 01:15 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aeroangie
Stats: 159/159/130 anything
WOE: Low Carb + JUDDD
Start Date: 8/24/2012
I am a lurker mostly here....but have ???

Like the OP, I have been an active LC'er for many years. I want to ask this question here, and hope it doesn't get lost being an older thread.

As BrewState pointed out, isn't it possible to do something like:

Sun., Tues, Thurs - DOWN

Mon., Wed. Friday. - UP

Then do Saturday as a "MID"

I haven't started this plan yet, but am considering it also. If the calories worked out to maybe 500 extra per week, but you compensated by exercising adequately and by keeping carbs low (avoiding too much insulin) wouldn't this be a workable way to fit this diet into the OP's life? I am a retired fitness trainer and am used to tailoring things to work for people.

Just asking. I know there are purists among every group. I have never been one of them but didn't have extra weight until my thyroid went wonky and menopause started simultaneosly....and that luxury is gone so like someone pointed out, I may "have" to change my thinking too to lose 25 pounds!

But seriously, isn't JUDDD about the "averaged calories" rather than certain days?
Are people saying you won't lose or succeed on the plan if you try it another way?
I mean, this isn't like eating cake and ice cream on a strict Atkin's diet....is it?
What would be the harm in trying it a slightly different way? Would you crate an unstable weight, like Hcg? (which was not for me!)

I have used "intermittent fasting" in the past successfully with low carb, but I kind of "Paleo'd" my South Beach/Atkin's" in that, every day, I skipped breakfast, had a light SB lunch and then big Atkin's dinner. That would keep me going and I'd try really hard to go 18 hours from dinner until the next meal (Paleo - like our ancestors did before we had agriculture and refrigeration) but I ate SB/Atkin's menu. Therefore, I only ate during a small 5 -6 hour window. This type of fasting works also, so I can't really fathom the JUDDD is a completely different concept. Of course, with that idea, you don't count calories at all. With JUDDD. to me, the only drawback is counting the calories on ****** and all the planning that has to go into it. The major drawback to Atkin's for me now is....I think my body has truly adapted and with South Beach, my endo wants me to have no gluten! Like I said, this DID work but honestly, it was uncomfortable at times and limiting (and drove dh crazy!)

I bought the book so I guess I'll have a choice to make. Sounds very interesting but honestly as a fitness pro, a little gimmicky (with the skinny gene stuff.) If it works tho, that's all that matters but I do suspect and hope their is room for customization. If there isn't, I'll keep studying. Like with Hcg, I will try it and if I can't adapt or don't feel well, I'll quickly go back to Atkin's until I can find that "something" that going to "rock my metabolic world!"

Any thought greatly appreciated! Sorry for rambling.

Last edited by Aeroangie; 08-21-2012 at 01:47 AM..
Aeroangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:56 AM   #63
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Many JUDDDers follow the plan as you suggest giving them the same UDs and DDs each week. I think the simple answer is, give it a go. if it works for you then, hey presto, you have your answer. If not, you have to decide if you can live with the JUDDD plan.

I suggest you glance at the sticky thread about the the benefits of fasting, if you haven't already. It would interest you as a fitness professional I think.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Kissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Many JUDDDers follow the plan as you suggest giving them the same UDs and DDs each week. I think the simple answer is, give it a go. if it works for you then, hey presto, you have your answer. If not, you have to decide if you can live with the JUDDD plan.

I suggest you glance at the sticky thread about the the benefits of fasting, if you haven't already. It would interest you as a fitness professional I think.
I definitely have and do believe in the benefits of fasting (anti-aging, reducing inflammation, increasing lifespan, etc.) That was the reason I used intermittent fasting during my last successful attempt. The problem was the plan I concocted mixed three things, was uncomfortable for me when working out while fasting - before my first meal usually - and was very limiting for a slew of reasons.

Like the OP on this thread pointed out, the lunch situation (which I think could have been tailored for her, based on your reply!) I turned down invites for that whole six months, even with hubby, and then a six week vacay in 2009 thru me right off that whole bandwagon. I was gonna go back to it, but my Endo didn't like it (at all!) At that time, I was deficient in iron, B-12, D due to illness and he wanted me to stop and focus on my health, not my weight so I worked on becoming gluten free.

Now that I've recovered (as much as one can with an autoimmune illness) I sought out JUDDD hoping I could tailor it to fit mine and my husband's lifestyles. I was also hoping I could get him on the bandwagon with me. He has much more to lose and is riddled with health problems - blood pressure, arthritis, gout, asthma - and that was my reason also for choosing JUDDD. But if I take the weekend away from him every other week, he'd refuse.

I am glad to know it can be tailored and am looking forward to getting the book. I will delve into the sticky more now! Thanks!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #65
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
This is well worth watching especially for your husband.

Eat, Fast and Live Longer. Horizon

Last edited by Kissa; 08-21-2012 at 10:09 AM..
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

We'll watch it tonight when he gets home!!!! Thanks!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
But seriously, isn't JUDDD about the "averaged calories" rather than certain days?
No, it's really not.
Have you found this thread yet?
ITS ALL TRUE!!!! (Long)

And, since this is an old thread, you'd probably be better off posting in the "Newbies--Introduce yourselves" or the "August Newbie Chat" or starting a new thread, if you haven't already.

However, many people have asked the same questions you have, so perhaps you've found some answers since you posted this morning.

Anyway--

ETA:
Quote:
I will try it and if I can't adapt or don't feel well, I'll quickly go back to Atkin's
I would suggest not going back TOO quickly; give it at least 2 weeks or, preferably, a month.
Many people have a hard time the first week or so (although others seem to do fine once they get past the first 2 DDs), and feel much better/start experiencing weight loss...but it may take a couple weeks to get used to it, and another couple to start seeing changes. There are some really spectacular success stories, though, so it can be worth it to stick it out for a month!!!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 08-21-2012 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: ETA
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

OK! That's good advice. I don't have the JUDDD book yet, and haven't read that much either (obviously.) And I DO have obstacles that I must overcome before I even THINK about messing with my metabolism. That is what we are doing here on this forum...and I joined here in 2002 so I am tenacious.

I probably have the same story as many women....what was 5 pounds turned into 25 pounds 10 years later somehow. I can't run, jump, BEAT it away like I used to now and it kind of goes up and down and tortures the hell out you. I can't starve it away (cause that really sucks!) I REALLY don't want a short term plan. I want to do something and make a real commitment - something that is right for me, my body and my life. So, I am ready to "be married" but I want it to be right. I can't be a fitness trainer anymore due to spinal injuries, so, I poke around, and "quickly" run back to Atkins... like a baby (which BTW, was why this forum exists!)

I am not a bandwagon jumper kind of person....not a risk taker.....though I do LOVE risk taker's and am married to one in real life! LOL!

It all boils down to one thing really.....Is the pain of being the way that I am right now greater than the pain of change? Then, if I change, will it be short lived or will it be permanent?

These are questions anyone should ask themselves before mucking with their own metabolism.

Thanks for all your great replies and advice!!!! Whether I do it or not.....I have much to think about!!!
Old 08-22-2012, 06:26 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/192/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
Just to pop in and say Hi~! I have seen many people do a mid day and it seems to work for them. Think of JUDDD as a continuum and the more "by the book" you do it, the faster you lose, but that doesn't mean we can't tweak it a little to suit our needs and therefore not lose weight. It is recommended to follow strict rotations for at least a couple weeks though (UD,DD,UD,DD etc) to make sure you have it down before introducing any of those variations.

I have done low carb since 2008 and decided that JUDDD would be a great addition to a low carb diet. I have had an ocassional treat here and there (ok wine has been more than ocassional ) but mostly I'm trying to stick to my roots. On atkins I averaged about 4 lbs a month loss (with several breaks for pregnancies) and here I am losing on average 8 lbs a month and truthfully I don't always count calories that accurately so it could be more.

The truth is its a very easy plan to adapt to your way of eating and can be done many many ways so as Kissa so wisely put, try it and see.

Last edited by brewstate; 08-22-2012 at 06:27 AM..
brewstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: buttah
Stats: 189/137/136-140
WOE: peri-meno "corrective" R4
Start Date: LowCal/Dukan/JUDD 2/12-8/12, then 3 rounds rxHCG
I too am fairly new to JUDDD (started July 22, and after a stalled start, it has been fantastic). But I came here to say:

Not everyone has to eat "up to" their UD calories on the calculator to lose. I rarely come close, and in fact, I'm fairly certain if I did, my losses wouldn't be as great. And has been reported here more than once (but most seem to ignore it - although whatever works for them), Dr. J never says anywhere (in his book) that you have to eat UP TO a certain amount on UD's. He says merely to eat just enough to be satisfied, not stuffed. Frankly, I think that's important advice. A couple of JUDDDers have written to him and received a response where he said the UD calculator number is more of a limit than a minimum. that it is the DD number that is vitally important, not the UD one.

I just felt it was important to say. I think most of got fat by eating past hunger. I for one have no intention of going back to that mindset. And the Leptin research tells us that fat people need less food, but as we get thinner, we may actually need MORE food. The body tells us what it needs, and I'm just someone who does better listening to it. (Having said that, DD's do involve ignoring some hunger!).

Best of luck. I am blown away by JUDDD (and again, not eating my calculator's 1750 calories - more like 1200 to 1500 on UD's, with an odd 1600+... and losing JUST GREAT! (CHECK my numbers on the August weigh-in thread if you like.)

Last edited by buttah; 08-22-2012 at 12:52 PM..
buttah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Good luck with starving. I may choose to do that at some point, but not willingly! As a fitness pro, all my life, I can def. tell you all some REAL horror stories. BUT, I digress now. I will not "starve" my cells and reduce my lifespan or quality of life. I already see where this is going.

Therefore, I will have to play all the X-Box games "Dance" and just hurt afterwards. I beat my grandkids by more than 500,000 points (all the time) so I have GOT to just get my mind right! Starvation is not the nswer for me right now.....I think????
Old 08-23-2012, 01:19 AM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: buttah
Stats: 189/137/136-140
WOE: peri-meno "corrective" R4
Start Date: LowCal/Dukan/JUDD 2/12-8/12, then 3 rounds rxHCG
Who is starving? I'm sometimes hungry on DD's, but quite happy as a clam on UD's. If you're talking about JUDDD in general, the research on intermittent fasting is incredible. Read Dr Johnson's book. Watch the IF documentary from BBC Horizons posted in another thread. Or don't.

(I meant to say that I think most of us got fat by eating past satiety.)

All I know is I just saw my internist and she was blown away by my bloodwork, including a dramatic decline in inflamatiion.

Last edited by buttah; 08-23-2012 at 01:25 AM..
buttah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

I just see so many posts on here about coping with the hunger. I failed miserable on Hcg and that failure and then my weight jumping all around weighs heavily on my mind.

Brewstate.....glad to see someone admit they like their wine! My poison is vodka mixed with lime "No Carbarita" mix.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #74
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Aero: Check out this thread:

Benefits of Alternate Day Fasting/CRON
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #75
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
And watch this and maybe come back and tell us what you think of Michael Mosley and his report?

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/...nd+Live+Longer

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 08-23-2012 at 05:39 PM..
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

loved the videos

Thanks everyone! I got my husband to watch the one on BBC "Eat, Fast, * Live Longer." We're stoked to try it after Labor Day! He likes the idea of the 5:2 more than JUDDD.

Has anyone tried it? I'll start a new thread on this topic.

Last edited by Aeroangie; 08-24-2012 at 11:25 AM..
Old 08-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroangie View Post
Thanks everyone! I got my husband to watch the one on BBC "Eat, Fast, * Live Longer." We're stoked to try it after Labor Day! He likes the idea of the 5:2 more than JUDDD.

Has anyone tried it? I'll start a new thread on this topic.
I suggest all men to definitely do this! I mean they seem to have the IF gene, so 5:2 would be less stress.

I may give this a whirl in maintenance!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote