Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 06:17 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
2600 calories for an UD may be too much for you--the JUDDD calculator often gives numbers that are a bit high. Did you enter "little or no exercise"? Guessing at your age (50) and height (65 inches), I entered your weight into the calculator at "little or no exercise" and came up with 2113 cals for your UD. Obviously, your real height and age might lead to different numbers, but try the calculator again with "little or no exercise" and see what numbers it gives you. Most of us who exercise a LOT (I do at least an hour a day of vigorous hiking, cycling, or kayaking) use the lowest exercise levels to calculate our numbers.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2012, 06:51 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffabuff View Post
Special events are special because of the people that are there, not because of the food. Go enjoy yourself, nibble, go home. At the next event you will be smaller.You won't believe how much better your knees will feel, my RA is sooo much better. Your about to be a much happier you, it just takes a little commitment. Good luck I know you'll do great
Vanessa
Welcome to Juddd! I am believing that your knees are going to get much relief in this new WOE!

Vanessa, This is probably the best advice ever for JUDDD! I agree that we have fun and still enjoy family/friends without worrying about changing rotation. Once this is firm in our belief with JUDDD, rotation is simple. I have eaten out with family on DD and I have enjoyed their company maybe even a bit more while restricting what I eat! It becomes fun and no fuss.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kaos0100
Stats: 415/269/
WOE: JUDDD - started 6/25/12
Start Date: 3/27/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
2600 calories for an UD may be too much for you--the JUDDD calculator often gives numbers that are a bit high. Did you enter "little or no exercise"? Guessing at your age (50) and height (65 inches), I entered your weight into the calculator at "little or no exercise" and came up with 2113 cals for your UD. Obviously, your real height and age might lead to different numbers, but try the calculator again with "little or no exercise" and see what numbers it gives you. Most of us who exercise a LOT (I do at least an hour a day of vigorous hiking, cycling, or kayaking) use the lowest exercise levels to calculate our numbers.
Hi - I'm female, 44 years old, 5'2" tall and weigh 330. I entered "little or no exercise". It actually gave me 2610/522.
Kaos0100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
Make sure you are accurately weighing and counting calories.
I know I LIE to myself, and so does everyone I know. My sis just came to me saying she was counting her coffee cream as a tablespoon each cup, but after we discussed it she measured her normal fill line and was doing 2.5-3 OUNCES per mug. That added up to about a 1000 hidden calories each morning.
I did a quick mental tally of what you listed as average daily food and I get more in the neighborhood of 1800-2000 not 1500. Now that is just guessing, but most of us have found we eat more than we think we do, and those calorie levels will be critical to get up to and down below if you are diving into JUDDDD. Use good whole foods to get your calories up. Try adding quinoa (seed not a grain), more veg including some mod-starchy veg like sweet potato, chia and hemp seeds for good protein and omegas. You don't have to be tied to just the standard lowcarb fare to bring your calories up without going on a refined carb binge.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #35
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_lou_who View Post

I know I LIE to myself, and so does everyone I know.

My sis just came to me saying she was counting her coffee cream as a tablespoon each cup, but after we discussed it she measured her normal fill line and was doing 2.5-3 OUNCES per mug. That added up to about a 1000 hidden calories each morning.

I did a quick mental tally of what you listed as average daily food and I get more in the neighborhood of 1800-2000 not 1500. Now that is just guessing, but most of us have found we eat more than we think we do, and those calorie levels will be critical to get up to and down below if you are diving into JUDDDD. Use good whole foods to get your calories up. Try adding quinoa (seed not a grain), more veg including some mod-starchy veg like sweet potato, chia and hemp seeds for good protein and omegas. You don't have to be tied to just the standard lowcarb fare to bring your calories up without going on a refined carb binge.
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_lou_who View Post
I know I LIE to myself, and so does everyone I know. My sis just came to me saying she was counting her coffee cream as a tablespoon each cup, but after we discussed it she measured her normal fill line and was doing 2.5-3 OUNCES per mug. That added up to about a 1000 hidden calories each morning.
Thanks for the info. I do measure and weigh...otherwise I wouldn't have a clue about my carb/calorie intake either.

I use ****** to track, which means I also use their calculators for calories/carbs, except for foods for which I know the nutritional information. In which case I enter that as a custom food.

I'm pretty confident that the menu I gave as an example is correct calorie-wise.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amlyjo
Stats: 332/310/175
WOE: LC-HF-MP
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos0100 View Post
Hi - I'm female, 44 years old, 5'2" tall and weigh 330. I entered "little or no exercise". It actually gave me 2610/522.
Hey Karen, your numbers are very close to mine. I'm also 44, but taller at 5'10", and I started at 332. My calculator cals are listed at 529/2645. My first 2 up days had some special treats included and went over my carb ratio that I'd LIKE to stay at, but I was okay with it. I have still lost! I lost 5.4 lbs last week!! I didn't start JUDDD until later in the week, but still.

I do find attempting to get up to that many calories kinda tough. I am still planning to do low carb, but if I had a lunch planned with co-workers on an UD, I would not hesitate to have a burger (even with the bun) but I'd probably skip the fries (I have trouble limiting those!). Have a salad or something instead. Are you sure they always choose restaurants that don't have any choices for low carb? That's hard to believe because the low carb eating lifestyle has been so popular for so long and most restaurants are used to subbing. Can you suggest some places to them that might have more choices.

Also, if it were me, I would not alter my rotation, but I would just plan to go on an UD. If the lunch plans that week didn't fall on an UD, I wouldn't go. Next week it probably will. So, surely a couple of times a month your lunch plans will fall on an UD and you can go, feast, enjoy your friends and food without guilt.

If you want to stay low-carb, like me, our best bet is going to be fat. This morning I had 2 eggs in 1T butter. That was a lot of butter! I also added a second cup of coffee with more cream because I have the calories to spare. It was a late breakfast though, so I am not sure I will be hungry for a snack, but I will at least find a way to have 100 calories. Maybe some hummus on a wasa cracker or something. Choose higher fat meats.

I also think you can move to moderate carb intake on your UDs. Do you like popcorn? I LOVE popcorn. I am keeping it in my rotation as a wonderful treat on my UDs, lots of butter of course! I am not going to touch rice and pasta or any baked goods. But I might not sweat it if I have a serving (measured and counted) of tortilla chips with queso!

I just want to encourage you to give it a try. It all sounds like magic. But it is still dieting/changing your lifestyle. My DDs are HARD. I try to stay under 500, but I have not quite made that yet. All I can do is stay busy and look forward to tomorrow. If you give it 2 weeks of your life and it's not for you, then you can go back to your LC eating plan that is netting you great losses already! I think JUDDD might just be the shake up that your metabolism needs.
amlyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Karen! So glad you are here! You are going to be very successful on JUDD. I just know it!

You have gotten some great advice here already so I don't have much to add. Your numbers sound right to me.

I'm of a little different opinion on changing rotations so you can go out and enjoy the pleasure of friends and food.

Yes, it's recommended that for the first 2 weeks you stick to strict UD/DD rotations if you can. This is so you can get the maximum benefit of SIRT1 gene activation and the magical special protein/enzymes that will be flooding your body as you do your DD rotations.

However, a MD in many cases will provide the needed calorie spread to continue the SIR (Silent Information Regulators) activation.

If you can stick to the strict rotation for 2 weeks that would be best. BUT if you need that UD to fall on a certain day so you can celebrate or go out for a special occasion, it's not going to ruin all your efforts.

Just get right back into your good DD rotations and all will be well.

What we love, love, love about this WOL is that the sheer joy of it keeps us going long term. We don't have to go to a party and eat celery sticks while others are having party food.

Also, check out the different percentages/levels on the calculator.

Keep in mind that you can legally go all the way up to 45% on a DD and still be in weight loss mode!! This was a revolutionary thought to me. I used to panic when I would get invited out to a special dinner on a DD. Sometimes with short notice on the very day!

Instead of turning it down, I learned that I can actually go up to that 45% allotment and still count it as a DD. And, I can manage to have a delicious meal and even some wine and still be ok. I'm not a big dessert person, so I either skip it or just take one bite of DH's dessert and I'm good.

What I'm saying is enjoy your life!! Don't throw JUDD out the window and don't throw special luncheons with friends or other special celebrations out the window.

Once the SIR enzymes are built up, you will most likely experience appetite suppression and a calmness as well as starting to crave healthier foods over junkier choices. That's what happened to me. This makes it easy to go out to eat on an UD OR a DD and make really healthy, low calorie choices when I need to.

Again, glad you joined the JUDD BUDDs! I'm looking forward to reading your posts and getting to know you!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #39
Blabbermouth!!!

Just realized I said I don't have much to add and then proceeded to blab and blab and blab! Guess I did have much to add.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #40
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellobrix View Post
Hi - I am new to JUDDD as well. I was looking for a switch to perhaps give my weight loss a nudge and also incorporate some other foods. I have a history of binge eating, so this does feel somewhat risky for me. I really have to be deliberate and careful. On my UD's - which is only three so far - I've eaten some bread on one, some rice on the next, and yesterday was my UD and I kept my carbs much lower and I think I like that better. It felt safer that way.

I have a plateau that I always hit at 170. As I started this, I was sitting at 170/171... dropped to 169.8, then back up again... but now after my UD yesterday I woke up to 169.6 this morning so if the pattern that I see here were to apply to me, I expect that tomorrow (today is a DD) will be closer to 169 or perhaps even 168.

I like this because we're travelling soon - my brother's wedding - and it will allow me to enjoy myself and still maintain my plan. So far I haven't had any wild cravings, so it's been good in that regard. I'd love to see 160 by August and I think that is entirely possible.
Sounds like you are off to a great start! Enjoy your brother's wedding! and to JUDD!
Old 06-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all the great advice.

I am a veteran low-carber, so switching to counting calories is definitely a new mind-set.

One other question...For your first day on JUDDD, do you start with a DD or an UD or does it matter at all?
Old 06-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #42
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos0100 View Post
Thanks for all the great advice.

I am a veteran low-carber, so switching to counting calories is definitely a new mind-set.

One other question...For your first day on JUDDD, do you start with a DD or an UD or does it matter at all?
I doesn't matter except for this thought: Eating well and fully on an UD tends to help sustain us successfully through our entire following DD. It sort of gives us something good to run on.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #43
Blabbermouth!!!

Yep. It's always a good idea to start with an UD to make sure you have the energy reserves to have a really good first DD. Only exception is that if you know for sure you ate enough calories yesterday to call it an UD. If you are not sure, make your first day an UD.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Karen you can have lunch out with friends or coworkers on a DD and order a plain salad with balsamic vinegar and some sliced skinless chicken or turkey. You'll have something to chew, be with your friends AND not blow your DD. it can be done. It's a matter of priorities. How bad do you want this? You can do it!!! Also I agree with Yam Yam better to raise your DD percentages for the day then turn it into a full on UD.

Last edited by Muffabuff; 06-19-2012 at 02:12 PM..
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #45
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I had lunch out today, a 305 toasted cheese and ham sandwich, with a soya flat white coffee, 85.

Tonight I had a salad, 40.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all your replies.

Regarding eating out...I know that for ME, there are certain restaurants that I cannot go to. For example, a Chinese buffet is not for me. I find it very hard to get something unbreaded, no sugar, etc. Also, a lot of the foods are temptations and even though I've been doing low carb for a while now, those foods are STILL temptations. So I don't put myself in that situation. Italian restaurants are hard for me too. Now I'm sure there are some that offer low carb options, but the particular restaurant I'm referring to does not. Well except for a Caesar salad...seriously, that's it. In addition, they bring out this warm bread to dip...it's too much of a temptation for me.

So it is as least encouraging that IF one of those lunches falls on an up day, I can go and have SOMETHING that won't put me over my calorie limit. The choices expand tremendously...and that's all I want, a choice.

Last edited by Kaos0100; 06-19-2012 at 03:13 PM..
Old 06-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Karen, you are absolutely right. I'd have no idea what to chose. Even Mexican can be tough because although you can get fajitas, there are those chips staring at you!

Think you'll give it a go?
Old 06-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlyjo View Post
Karen, you are absolutely right. I'd have no idea what to chose. Even Mexican can be tough because although you can get fajitas, there are those chips staring at you!

I'm thinking about it seriously. I'm still reading and researching...and also looking at what lots of you eat on a DD or UD. I want to be prepared...be sure I have food for both types of days...I'm a planner (I'm anal like that).

Thanks for being so nice to me.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

I am realizing that it's going to be a challenge to get to that amount of calories on an up day. I weigh/measure and track my food in ******. I average about 1500-1600 calories per day. Today is 1400 with 13 net carbs.

I'm starting to think this is why my weight loss isn't what it should be.

Last week, I lost 2.5 pounds. This week, I gained 2 pounds. No difference from week to week in the amount of water I drink or the amount of food I eat. And I don't cheat.

Frustrating....
Old 06-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlyjo View Post

I MIGHT could go to a Mexican restaurant and have a few chips...lol. But that's a big maybe. This particular work lunch group goes out every Friday...only on Friday. And this is a well-established group, doing this long before I came along, so switching from Friday to coincide with one of my UD isn't an option. So I have to adapt in a way that I can live with.

Also, I think it will be hard to determine the calorie count on a lot of these restaurant meals. For example, at a Mexican restaurant, I could try to choose a dish that would allow me to stay within my calorie range, but I have no idea what the nutritional value is for that dish...

I'm just a question-asking fool it seems. (I was taught if you don't ask, you don't learn).
Old 06-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

There is rarely a restaurant where you cannot get a serving of steamed or broiled fish with no butter or sauce or a steamed veggie platter. Most will make you something simple that is off menu. You must be determined and creative. Just because they put bread or chips on the table doesn't mean you have to eat it. Once again it's a matter of priorities. You really are only dieting every other day, one cannot have it all. There are some sacrifices that simply must be made if you want to lose the weight. There is no free lunch ( no pun intended). I don't mean to sound harsh but most of your posts seem to be focusing on how to get around this woe rather than actually following the plan.

Last edited by Muffabuff; 06-19-2012 at 06:10 PM..
Old 06-20-2012, 12:30 AM   #52
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sammycat
Stats: 139/134/125
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2012
Hi Kaos0100, I came from low carb, and find it so much easier to eat out on a DD than I did on lc.

I went to a chinese buffet and just had veggies a little rice and un battered meat. I just kept my portions small. I may have had 600 calories that day but still had a loss that week.

Good luck, you can do it.
sammycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:42 AM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Karen, I'll bet you'll find your way through this just fine. You've probably read the DD food threads. They're a fantastic way to navigate every second day. Some of us find we need volume, some protein or fat, and some are satisfied by strong flavours. Whichever it turns out to be for you, those threads are full of ideas.
Same goes for restaurants. I don't do many of them - not a huge value for me. But if they were, I'd be exploring menus online or finding comparable menus online to figure out choices before going. And that's because I know myself well enough to suspect I'd cave under the least stress and land face first in plates of lasagna and chocolate-caramel something if I didn't. That may not be the case for you.
The answers will come as you do JUDDD day to day. And what you learn while doing it will add to our experience. I hope it ends up working for you. I say that because I'm a huge fan of JUDDD. It has changed the whole eating/weight thing from something torturous and massively resistant to something fun, interesting, and gentle. Makes me want to spread the word.
All the best, Karen.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:49 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Karen, I'll bet you'll find your way through this just fine. You've probably read the DD food threads. They're a fantastic way to navigate every second day. Some of us find we need volume, some protein or fat, and some are satisfied by strong flavours. Whichever it turns out to be for you, those threads are full of ideas.
Same goes for restaurants. I don't do many of them - not a huge value for me. But if they were, I'd be exploring menus online or finding comparable menus online to figure out choices before going. And that's because I know myself well enough to suspect I'd cave under the least stress and land face first in plates of lasagna and chocolate-caramel something if I didn't. That may not be the case for you.
The answers will come as you do JUDDD day to day. And what you learn while doing it will add to our experience. I hope it ends up working for you. I say that because I'm a huge fan of JUDDD. It has changed the whole eating/weight thing from something torturous and massively resistant to something fun, interesting, and gentle. Makes me want to spread the word.
All the best, Karen.
Thank you for your reply.

I've been reading the DD recipes and threads trying to get an idea of what others eat on a DD. I've doing low carb so long, switching to low calorie is a challenge.

I know I have issues with some foods, therefore, I try to avoid those and also avoid placing myself in situations where I'm tempted by them. Apparently some folks don't understand that, but that is my reality.

Whenever I'm invited out to a restaurant, I attempt to find a menu online if I haven't been there before and determine if there is anything I can have (currently low carb). If there is nothing suitable for me or I can't find a menu, I probably won't go.

If this occurs on a DD, hopefully I will be able to find something that is lower calorie to have.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:03 AM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Karen, when I first switched from LCish to JUDDD, I was astounded to realize how much I'd been eating. I'll bet I was eating 3-4000 calories per day. It made me panic to pull in the reins as much as my calorie numbers required.
I think the lovely people on this board do understand where we start from. I also think their experience has taught them that, in the end, the kind of freedom we're looking for comes from jumping in, shifting our priorities (if those priorities made me tubby in the first place), and just doing it. I have huge respect for that. I also had to find my way toward that in baby steps.
All the best with this.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Karen, it is the same reality for all of us here. If not we wouldn't need to be here. Life is full of temptations that may not be good for us. Like I've always taught my children, life's NOT fair! Life will continue to go on all around you. The world will not change for you. It is you who must change if you want to lose weight. IMHO the only way this will work for you is you must change your way of thinking BEFORE you change your way of eating. You need to understand that it's just too bad if a waiter puts bread in front of you and your friends partake. It's tough if they decide to have dessert in front of you and you can't have any if you want to leave obesity behind. These are the adult decisions one is forced too make when in your position. We all know how you feel even if you don't think we do. Unfortunately, this is not a wish that can be granted to you it is a big job that requires work and a lot of sacrifices. Adi is a very smart women! Juddd is a blessing that we all feel more than lucky to have found. But we have to work Juddd it doesn't work us. Hard as you try there is no way around it, you must set priorities and make sacrifices.
Vanessa
Old 06-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/192/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
My 2 cents are that you shouldn't get too overwhelmed with the minuscule details at first. JUDDD is easy so don't try to complicate it too much. You get to decide what you want to do (Isn't that fun ) Maybe decide that for the first 2 weeks you will not eat out on a DD and you will on an Up Day. That will give you lots of options and remove any temptations you might have. Then after 2 weeks you will be more comfortable in the place you are and the answers you seek will be easier for YOU to answer. We all have to find our own way even if we go down the path together.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #58
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewstate View Post
My 2 cents are that you shouldn't get too overwhelmed with the minuscule details at first. JUDDD is easy so don't try to complicate it too much. You get to decide what you want to do (Isn't that fun ) Maybe decide that for the first 2 weeks you will not eat out on a DD and you will on an Up Day. That will give you lots of options and remove any temptations you might have. Then after 2 weeks you will be more comfortable in the place you are and the answers you seek will be easier for YOU to answer. We all have to find our own way even if we go down the path together.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewstate View Post
Absolutely!
Old 06-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Karen, I have to ask, what do you have to lose? (pun) If you stall out then you can go back to what you were doing before. At least twice a month that Friday lunch bunch will land on an UD and you can go and have fun.

Trust me, you CAN get those calories in on an UD. There are lots of ideas and it adds up fast. I can't say that I am for sure up to 2500, but darn close, and that's good enough for me. I'm super strict on my DDs.

And I know precisely how you feel about the temptations. I would absolutely NOT try to go out to eat on a DD the first couple of weeks. I have been doing this a week and don't feel ready to even approach my kitchen to cook for my family on a DD, much less go out to a restaurant. I'd love to actually fast mostly on my DDs but am not there yet.

I hope you try it. I am in love with JUDDD.