Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Does JUDDD magic ever stop? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/775357-does-juddd-magic-ever-stop.html)

brewstate 06-18-2012 12:43 PM

Does JUDDD magic ever stop?

I'm almost through my first month of JUDDD and in a whirlwind of weightloss I'm down 11 pounds (and that is with adding back many a carb so water weigh is including in the new low). My question is with Low Carb everything worked for me for a very long time and then just stopped and I'm worried JUDDD will too. I obviously don't expect 12 lb a month loses every month but I wonder are there any tips, techniques, etc to keep everything functioning. How often do I need to recalculate my numbers etc?

I have followed some great advice and kept firmly to my rotation and respected my numbers and hope this will help. I just don't want to be dreaming and then wake up :hyst:

Joyjoy 06-18-2012 12:52 PM

Elise, I know what you mean about being afraid to wake up.:) I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts on this one. I'm only two months in, and the only thing I can tell you is that more good stuff happened in the second month for me!
I do see lots of people stall at some point, and experiment to find their way through that stall. It's really encouraging to watch that happen, whether or not it happens to us.
There are certainly a good number of people who seem to be thriving long term with Juddd. That inspires me, big time. :)

Yam-Yam 06-18-2012 01:08 PM

Congrats on losing 11 pounds in one month! That is awesome!:jumpjoy:

I was just reading the other day about how our bodies don't usually rebel up to a certain point when we are losing weight. However, at some point when more and more of the fat stores are "being plundered" there is a metabolic defense mechanism that will kick in and try to preserve those fat stores (in case of a coming famine).

This stage is different for everyone and some even seem to sale along, lose steadily, get to goal and not see the pauses in weight loss.

Because of the fat burning magic of JUDD, lots of us continue to lose inches even when the scale seems to be stuck.

That is certainly happening for me!:jumpjoy: I just posted on the non-scale victories thread and the Whoo-Hoo thread about my measurements.

I hope everyone on JUDD takes measurements. Along with how your clothing fits, the inches lost when you total it up can be even more encouraging than the scale numbers!

I'm on the verge of being down -40 on the scale. Right now it's not moving much. But the thread on measurements by Barb got me motivated to get out the tape measure this morning. I measure about once a month.

Including all the places I measure, I have lost a total of 45.5 inches!!!:jumpjoy: And, even though the scale has not moved from last month when I measured, I have lost more inches. Incredible!

So, don't forget to measure and write it down!! The magic DOES go on in so many ways!:clap:

Kissa 06-18-2012 01:17 PM

Elise, I only had a little to lose to get down to my maintenance weight. I have stayed 2 to 4 pounds below that for 6 months and I find it gets easier, not harder.

No loss of magic for me. :)

sunday 06-18-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kissa (Post 15734258)
Elise, I only had a little to lose to get down to my maintenance weight. I have stayed 2 to 4 pounds below that for 6 months and I find it gets easier, not harder.

Thank you Kissa for staying here to make sure we all keep JUDDDing! :hugs:

I will be so thrilled to be at my goal weight and wonder sometimes, if I should be doing another plan to get this off faster? :dunno: But then, I remember that even though the weight is creeping and slowly dropping, one thing for certain, it is not going up! I have lost weight fast before and I can remember that when it does start moving up, there is a sad feeling of failure. :cry: I for once see the light at the end of the tunnel. It may take me a couple more months to get to the end, but I see it! :)

KeirasMom 06-18-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brewstate (Post 15734158)
I'm almost through my first month of JUDDD and in a whirlwind of weightloss I'm down 11 pounds (and that is with adding back many a carb so water weigh is including in the new low). My question is with Low Carb everything worked for me for a very long time and then just stopped and I'm worried JUDDD will too. I obviously don't expect 12 lb a month loses every month but I wonder are there any tips, techniques, etc to keep everything functioning. How often do I need to recalculate my numbers etc?

I have followed some great advice and kept firmly to my rotation and respected my numbers and hope this will help. I just don't want to be dreaming and then wake up :hyst:

I have been doing JUDDD for six months now. Some months have been better than others with the speed of loss. I have lowered my calories a couple of times, had to raise them again once, and went into maintenance about a month ago when I realized it was more a matter of my body wanting a break. I have lost nearly 57 lbs with JUDDD despite all that. Additionally, in March I was diagnosed hypothyroid and have had medication and dosage adjustments thrown into the mix. I'm still working all that out and making my health the biggest priority. That includes weight, but is more about my thryoid at this point.

I'm still considering myself on a maintenance break for the rest of June, but I'm letting my hunger dictate my DDs, and have been staying pretty low anyway. I'm losing better than I was last month and feeling free, allowing myself more calories if needed, but just not needing them. I should probably declare myself out of maintenance and back into WLM, but I feel so peaceful right now with my choices that I don't want to change anything.

I was sure the magic would last a couple of months and then I'd stop losing, or feel so restricted I couldn't do it another day. I think the real "magic" is that JUDDD is infinitely doable! There are days I'd rather just not think about calories, but mostly it's easy and fun, and WORTH it!

It's been six months for me, and the magic is still happening. It's evolving as I am within the framework of the plan, but it is not waning. I wish this for all my BUDDDs. The serenity and joy of knowing your plan works, and will continue to work, as long as you continue to work it.

amlyjo 06-18-2012 01:47 PM

:goodpost:Very inspirational to a newbie like me!:hugs:

stargazer 06-18-2012 03:14 PM

Reading this has really cheered me. I dropped calories on UDs to hurry the loss along and it worked but I feel ready to go back to generous UDs. I still lost but slowly and the reassurance is that you never put on fat. The water weight may bounce the scales but your jeans keep fitting.

gotsomeold 06-18-2012 03:38 PM

:rofl: I see how far gone into JUDDD I am.

When I read the question, I thought, "rotating calories, taking an occasional maintenance break, will ensure JUDDD magic continues: my cheeks won't get red again, my under-eye pouches and arthritis will not return, my energy will remain stable." I didn't even think about weight loss. :hyst: I so deeply believe that is a given, it didn't even cross my mind. :hyst:

brewstate 06-18-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomeold (Post 15734626)
:rofl: I see how far gone into JUDDD I am.

When I read the question, I thought, "rotating calories, taking an occasional maintenance break, will ensure JUDDD magic continues: my cheeks won't get red again, my under-eye pouches and arthritis will not return, my energy will remain stable." I didn't even think about weight loss. :hyst: I so deeply believe that is a given, it didn't even cross my mind. :hyst:

:doh: Sorry Nancy I should have been more specific. However since I just turned 30, my only under-eye pouches and joint pain are only caused by hauling around 3 kids under the age of 6 :stars: I'm sure the other benefits will make themselves apparent soon enough, but how exciting to see how deeply you believe in this WOE :clap:.

theredhead 06-18-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kissa (Post 15734258)

I can second this!

Beeb 06-18-2012 09:34 PM

Nope, hasn't stopped for me at all and I'm not even doing it the "right way" at all at the moment. JUDDD has helped me maintain just a bit above my second goal weight of 135 through some of the darkest days I have had in the last couple of weeks.

I say that's some magic!! ^^^^^ :up:

SoHappy 06-18-2012 09:54 PM

For me, much of the *JUDDD magic* is beyond simply the weight loss. That seemed to fluctuate with some weeks of careful eating giving me no weight loss, only to have the following week be a better than usual week of losses. But although I had some slower times and some periods of better losses, overall the Happy Wonder of weight loss kept on. Now I mostly maintain, and do a bit at weight loss levels if I've over-indulged to the point of gaining above my fairly generous maintenance range. :laugh:

The Magic, for me, is that I can eat of any foods in the world now and not return to obesity! It seems magical that I can moderate my eating, even when enjoying any and all foods. It's so freeing and pleasant to be able to simply know and accept that The Struggle of being overweight doesn't ever have to be a part of my life anymore.

Some general health benefits are usually conferred on us just by benefit of weight loss on most any diet plan, but when you research more on the added health benefits of alternate day fasting, intermittent fasting, and calorie restriction in general, the improved health results are where the true *JUDDD magic* lies!

NonnyK 06-18-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 15734307)
I have been doing JUDDD for six months now. Some months have been better than others with the speed of loss. I have lowered my calories a couple of times, had to raise them again once, and went into maintenance about a month ago when I realized it was more a matter of my body wanting a break. I have lost nearly 57 lbs with JUDDD despite all that. Additionally, in March I was diagnosed hypothyroid and have had medication and dosage adjustments thrown into the mix. I'm still working all that out and making my health the biggest priority. That includes weight, but is more about my thryoid at this point.

I'm still considering myself on a maintenance break for the rest of June, but I'm letting my hunger dictate my DDs, and have been staying pretty low anyway. I'm losing better than I was last month and feeling free, allowing myself more calories if needed, but just not needing them. I should probably declare myself out of maintenance and back into WLM, but I feel so peaceful right now with my choices that I don't want to change anything.

I was sure the magic would last a couple of months and then I'd stop losing, or feel so restricted I couldn't do it another day. I think the real "magic" is that JUDDD is infinitely doable! There are days I'd rather just not think about calories, but mostly it's easy and fun, and WORTH it!

It's been six months for me, and the magic is still happening. It's evolving as I am within the framework of the plan, but it is not waning. I wish this for all my BUDDDs. The serenity and joy of knowing your plan works, and will continue to work, as long as you continue to work it.

:goodpost:

Muffabuff 06-18-2012 11:13 PM

I have only been in maintenance for three days now and already I feel a big difference. My first UD was wonderful getting to eat my maintenance calories. It felt like all I did was eat non stop lol. My first DD was the easiest one ever. I woke up still full from my UD and felt like my 300 calories were more than enough. Today is my third day, an UD and I am barely able to get all my calories in. I'm really feeling the appetite suppression today. It's so funny because I could not wait to get to maintenance because I was getting pretty hungry on 1500 calories on UD and now I'm getting full on 1,000. I'm kind of scared to weigh myself this weekend because it feels like I'm pigging out every other day. But in reality I'm only getting 1,050 calories per day which is quite low. I could not live on another 1,200 calorie a day diet and on Juddd I'm actually getting less per day but it feels like so much more. Not to mention my RA in my back is better than its been in years and I haven't needed my RX medication. And my asthma which was acting up isn't anymore. Who could ask for more? So remember even if there are weeks here and there when the scale isn't moving, your body is truly healing from within, I can feel it. So will you.

gotsomeold 06-19-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brewstate (Post 15734663)
:doh: Sorry Nancy I should have been more specific. However since I just turned 30, my only under-eye pouches and joint pain are only caused by hauling around 3 kids under the age of 6 :stars: I'm sure the other benefits will make themselves apparent soon enough, but how exciting to see how deeply you believe in this WOE :clap:.

:D I hope JUDDD will be a WOL that ensures you never experience the delights of getting older!

sammycat 06-19-2012 11:08 AM

Well done Elsie this woe obviously agrees with you. With 3 under 6 hope you put 'hard exercise' in your calculations. :laugh:

Only being on JUDDD for a week and having ordered but not yet received the book, I want to thank you all for sharing your experiences, it's a huge help to me. X

Kissa 06-19-2012 03:06 PM

Muffabuff, I love that the magic is working for you in Maintenance too.

CarolinaCoast 06-03-2013 03:36 AM

Bump

Librarygirl 06-03-2013 06:22 AM

I guess it never really took off for me. I have lost 20 lbs in 6.5 months, so I'm grateful for that. If I can lose another 20 lbs in the next six months, that will be acceptable. :)