Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
So..What DON'T You miss about low carb?

This is to all you Juddders, who, like me, are no longer low carbing....and any food is now fair game!

I have been planning a weekend away with DH, to our favourite city..York (in England), and it got me remembering our last trip, last summer, in the middle of a heat wave!

I had just started Atkins, and, us being tea and coffee addicts had planned to take some tea bags, coffee n milk for our hotel room.

Well DH had his usually long life milk portions, but I had a pot of cream...which after a warm 2 hour train ride, and 30 min walk to the hotel in blazing sunshine, was well on its way to becoming a pot of yogurt!

I popped it in the rooms bathroom sink, which I filled with cold water...much to DH annoyance, as he now had to brush his teeth over the bath!

(I think I managed to get 2 cups of coffee out of the whole pot..by the next morning it was a case of "one lump or two..?" yeuch!)

In fact, many of my low carb go to snacks...cheese sticks, mini peperami's ect, did not fare very well in the heat.

Our time in the beautiful restaurant next door took twice as long....the restaurants nutritional list was half a mile long...and it took me ages to find something low carb enough that I actually WANTED to eat!

I then had to have my coffee black..and luke warm, after waiting 10 minutes for a waiter to find out if the accompanying spray cream had added sugar (it did!)

That evening we went for a late boat ride up the river Ouze..a fantastic experience..and we were both starving by the time we got back to the hotel. As the hotel didn't provide food, we nipped to a Tesco express for a midnight snack..DH had a sandwich, a piece of cheesecake and some fruit...all I could find was a pack of ham and some sad looking olives.

We sat on the bed back at the hotel, DH eating happily, me eating ham n olives...and wondering if I should risk the cream for a cuppa. (I decided against..i prefer my coffee not to smell cheesy! )

On the way back to the train the next day we nipped into Betty's..a very famous bakery...their huge fruit n nut scones are to die for...Dh bought 2...one for him and i for me "in case you want it later" (..I wanted it NOW! )

I went into a nearby health food store and got a bag of nuts...and resisted the urge to rip the extra scone from DH's hands!

My main memories of this wonderful break are of being totally fed up with my food...fed up of having to find something I COULD eat..rather than something I WANTED to eat...not of walking the city walls, or having a romantic time on a floodlit boat ride....and that is something I definatly do not miss about low carbing....for me it worked when planned out at home...not so well when you want to go with the flow!

Despite all this, I lost not a lb on low carb anyway!

This year, after maintaining at goal weight for 9 months on JUDDD, the food will be chosen according to what I WANT to eat, not what I CAN eat...thoroughly enjoyed....and then forgotten, as I enjoy my time spent with DH!

hugs
jo
x

"Eat today for the clothes you want to wear tomorrow!"

Last edited by Joedi; 06-18-2012 at 10:40 AM..
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LeenieX
Stats: 180/173/150 5'9"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 6/14/2012
I've only been off for 4 days but I don't miss a darn thing! I don't care if I eat another piece of bacon again in my life. Maybe I would feel differently if it had actually worked for me. I seem to be the only person who could be in ketosis and still gain weight.

Enjoy your vacation this year!
LeenieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: babykinz
WOE: LCishJUDDD
I don't miss the chewing, all the chewing of all that meat.
babykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
PORK RINDS!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PhoebeHerself
Stats: 203.4/183.6/160
WOE: -17.8 lbs HCG/JUDDD is next
Start Date: February 2012
I had wonderful success with low-caring before I had children. While I believe in the power of low caring, I'm enjoying NOT obsessing about a little natural sugar here or there. I enjoy eating a LOT of carbs but in the form of veggies and fruits.
PhoebeHerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sammycat
Stats: 139/134/125
Start Date: June 2012
Jo!

Lucky you to have found JUDDD and well done on reaching goal and maintaining.

I hear everything your saying.

I've done Atkins several times over the years and don't get me wrong, It's a great plan and works for many, however it's not for me long term. I did learn a lot from doing Atkins though so well worth it. For instance I realize I'm wheat intolerant and that all my joint aches went away when I ate low carb. Now the only wheat I eat is the small amount in low carb wraps and pittas etc.

I did however resent anyone telling me I can't have tomato, peppers and onions on induction because they're too carby. It just didn't make sense and makes me want them more.

After about week 3 or 4, came the leg cramps at night, the pains in the chest and feeling tired and quite down. After that I would give up and pile the pounds back on.

This is only my second week on JUDDD but already feel I could stick with this for life. I'm keeping wheat to a minimum, other than that, I'm pretty much eating what I want on UP days and it's a revelation.

I'm jealous your going to Betty's. Enjoy it!

Last edited by sammycat; 06-18-2012 at 11:48 AM..
sammycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Thanks Sammy! You just reminded me of MORE things I dont miss..the leg cramps..OMG!
Middle of the night agony...despite taking magnesium, potassium, and lots of broth!

Now that I think of it, a woe that need suppliments to prevent pain is not really idea, is it?

And from the first week of Atkins, my heart raced...and I tried everything..again, magnesium, higher does, potassium, fluids, salts...it was SO unpleasant.

Find it hard to believe I put up with it for 6 months! I know it works for many people, but low carb just didnt work for me...however much I wanted it too...wish I had found juddd first!

And another thing...lol...it was expensive....all the meat eggs n cheese..plus the "substitutes"!

hugs
Jo
x
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jodeeras
Stats: 174 / 160.0 / 115
Start Date: 12/1/11 Atkins; 5/8/12 JUDDD
I don't miss the MIMs - Flaxmeal muffins.

While better than Atkins Diet Revolution rolls, the MIMs still are rubbery.

I can have REAL bread.
jodeeras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #9

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I don't miss being the awkward one at every gathering.

I will always love bacon, so this morning I had a bacon sandwich.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jodeeras
Stats: 174 / 160.0 / 115
Start Date: 12/1/11 Atkins; 5/8/12 JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post

I will always love bacon, so this morning I had a bacon sandwich.
I "second" that!
jodeeras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I don't miss the food - I love it and still eat it ... in carefully planned and calorically portioned amounts.

Agree with everything said so far (really don't miss the leg cramps!).

I don't miss trying to eat enough - ahem - roughage without eating too many carbs. Every morning, I appreciate the fiber I ate the day before!

I don't miss being stalled, even when I counted calories and carbs.

I don't miss being afraid I would eat something with hidden carbs (servers in restaurants do not always really know the ingredients) and find myself fighting a desire to binge.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
^^ This x 1,000,000.

I also very much don't miss trying to convince myself that Revolution Rolls are an acceptable substitute for real bread. Or that any low-carbicized recipe is, for that matter. I know some people are truly OK with recipes that have been re-engineered for low carbing and I'm really happy for them if they are. For me, any of those things were maddening and I'd be even more craving The Real Thing (whatever that thing was at the time).

Now that I can have whatever I want, my craving is down to almost nothing... it's an "Oh, that sounds good, have to make/buy that soon", instead of a "GIMME *NOW*" kind of thing. And I usually forget to make/buy whatever it was that sounded good because it's slipped my mind.

Last edited by Sheridan; 06-18-2012 at 02:59 PM..
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
Now that I can have whatever I want, my craving is down to almost nothing... it's an "Oh, that sounds good, have to make/buy that soon", instead of a "GIMME *NOW*" kind of thing. And I usually forget to make/buy whatever it was that sounded good because it's slipped my mind.
Totally agree. I invariably forget about whatever it was 12 hours before that my body was sure I had to have. It rarely if ever requires me to make/get/eat it. Shows how psychological our love affair with food is.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_lou_who View Post
Totally agree. I invariably forget about whatever it was 12 hours before that my body was sure I had to have. It rarely if ever requires me to make/get/eat it. Shows how psychological our love affair with food is.
It sure does!
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I don't miss saying "I can't have that " over and over and over.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #16

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
A fun thread, Jo! Glad I got to the Forum to see it and participate. Your avi picture is darling. Looks like you're doing wonderfully!

I still eat about all the same low carb foods I ever did. Well, not the pork rinds (GAK) and I never got into the *alternate* sweeteners except for occasional Splenda packets or syrup, never used *alternate* flours or bake mixes, and never used Low Carb shakes or bars, etc.

So I still eat the meat and eggs, cheese & butter & cream, the low carb veggies & berries & nuts, etc.

It's just that I don't have to limit my life to just those foods anymore. Now I add in all the rest of the foods in the world. A baked potato isn't off limits to me. I enjoy a bowl of corn flakes with whole milk and sugar for breakfast occasionally. (Corn Flakes were always my favorite cold breakfast cereal, even when I was a child. LOL)

I don't have to pull the delicious crispy crust off of my fried chicken now. I had a wonderful slice of exquisite fresh apple pie yesterday that DH's daughter made him for Father's Day.

So the low carb foods still form the basis of my daily diet, but I can now *round it out* with moderate carb foods and even some high carb foods too, and JUDDD keeps it all in check.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IThinkICan
Stats: 218/142-144/145
WOE: HCG-R5P4 JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
So I still eat the meat and eggs, cheese & butter & cream, the low carb veggies & berries & nuts, etc.

It's just that I don't have to limit my life to just those foods anymore. Now I add in all the rest of the foods in the world.

I don't have to pull the delicious crispy crust off of my fried chicken now. I had a wonderful slice of exquisite fresh apple pie yesterday that DH's daughter made him for Father's Day.

So the low carb foods still form the basis of my daily diet, but I can now *round it out* with moderate carb foods and even some high carb foods too, and JUDDD keeps it all in check.
This sums me up now. I generally start with a low carb basis, but don't sweat the extra carbs here and there. There was cake at church on Sunday... I had a few bites off my son's piece - which was enough to make me feel satisfied and content. I may order steak and veggies for dinner at a restaurant, but I don't have to deny myself a piece of bread that is served with it. It's quite refreshing! Life is so liveable now!

Last edited by IThinkICan; 06-18-2012 at 07:43 PM..
IThinkICan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heather
Stats: 175.8/155.6/149.8
WOE: JUDDD/Potato Hack
Start Date: Restart 6/27/14 - Loss: 20.2 lbs
LC + me = disaster

Low carbing was a terrible disaster for me. I lost "0" in about six weeks. I studied it before starting, read all the books, ('72 Atkins, new Atkins, Taubes, Carpenter, Eades, Dolson), blogs, bought ketone strips, low-carbed my kitchen, was 100% sure it was THE ANSWER - all that before I started. I didn't expect to lose alot, just SOMETHING! I tweaked it, stopped tweaking it, did the Fat Fast and bounced 2 lbs up and down. I probably would have tried even longer than 6 weeks, except I was having to take naps and didn't have the strength to exercise anymore. I got progressively weaker.

I spent days reading the lc forum, and it dawned on me that there were many others struggling with it. I wasn't the only one. One day, I was so weak, I thought, "What am I DOING? I won't do this one more minute. I miss exercising." I went and ate a sweet crunchy apple (felt like I was sinning).

I believed from reading about JUDDD that I would lose and hopefully it will speed up my slow metabolism. I lost 3 lbs the first week, but only hope for small losses in the future - I don't mind losing slowly if I feel healthy and have energy to exercise. I only found out about JUDDD because I was researching speeding up metabolisms.

I know lc is a "God sent" for others -I've read the success stories, and many JUDDDers do lc with JUDDD. I'm just really happy for anyone that finds a WOE that they're happy with and works for them - whether it's lc or something else.

P.S. Must say - love how JUDDD is helping me get back a normal relationship with food. But that's another story.....

Pounds to goal: only 5.8
(Total loss will be 26.0 lbs.)

Last edited by Heather; 06-18-2012 at 09:13 PM..
Heather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NonnyK
Stats: 5" 1' Goal 130-- My Fitness Pal Username: NonnyK
WOE: JUDDDer
Start Date: 06/7/12
Eating an In And Out Burger protein style!!
You just can't convince me the lettuce wrap tastes the same as having it normal with bread!!

NonnyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
I don't miss weighing the same for 2 1/2 months. And I don't miss crying into the latte I'm making my DH because I can't have one.
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: minimonkey
Stats: 5'0" -- very small frame
WOE: Clean eating, whole foods
This thread is making me giggle --

I'm doing JUDDD low carb, actually -- my body just prefers lower carb eating, and I've been doing it forever now (since 2003, with a few short breaks over the years), so I don't much think about it anymore. That said, low carb alone is not enough to make me lose weight, because I am completely adapted to this WOE.

I may try adding in some select carbs later on, if I manage to reach goal and maintain easily with JUDDD ... we'll see. But I can't see a time -- ever -- when I will go back to refined sugars or most grains as a regular part of my diet. Fruit, sweet potatoes... those I would like to enjoy from time to time.... and even certain grains would be nice on occasion ... but if that doesn't work out, I still have a lot of low carb choices that I genuinely enjoy.

Oh, and I should add -- I very rarely eat bacon. It seems that so many low carbers live on bacon, which I find funny -- people (low carb or not) DO love their bacon! I eat it maybe once or twice a year, if I have breakfast out somewhere and it sounds particularly good. Eggs, on the other hand, I do eat pretty much every day, in some form or another.

8/28:128.6 .... 10/7 118.4 ....10/20: 115.8

Last edited by minimonkey; 06-18-2012 at 11:47 PM..
minimonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:52 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
Eating Indian and Chinese food without the rice to put it on.

Spending twice as much on food because without potatoes a normal portion of stew or a small serving of meat is too measly.

Feeling stressed because I had to have a cup of tea at a friend's house and she put milk in it.

No pasta. Pasta with clam and tomato sauce..

I am still trying not to eat wheat. I think there is something in the idea that it's not good for us. But I can decided day by day. It is the "locked in" idea of Atkins that if you sin by as much as half a slice of toast that you blow the entire diet for three days that is so miserable and unworkable.

Our food culture is grain dominant. It's not realistic to ask us never ever to eat high carb foods again.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:31 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lylydvd
ok,i will say the opposite i do miss low carb because when i was doing it i was very satisfied never felt hungry i was able to binge on nuts and heavy cream and fried foods and delicious fatty meats without counting or gaining may i mention also without losing !! but it's good way to maintain your weight ,not good enough for losing it
lylydvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Henush
Stats: 220
WOE: JUDDD/Fast-5
Start Date: Restart - September 2013
As Pheobe said, I think lc worked great for me before I had my daughter. I did South Beach for many years and lost and maintained. Since I had my daughter, I went back to my tried and true method (lc) only to discover =, to my horror, that it just wasn't working any more.

Also, like Kissa said, being the odd one out at any family/social gathering is something I do not miss - especially since I'm *still* losing weight.

But definitely don't miss the expense of lc, the specialty items, all that meat, eggs, and cheese...
Henush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:25 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: circusgirl
Stats: 219/185/140
WOE: primal/paleo-currently HCG
Start Date: August 1999 primal, HCG in 2010
I don't miss anything...I feel great lc. I just enjoy the freedom of JUDDD, especially since I have non-negotiable food restrictions.
circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:35 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimonkey View Post
This thread is making me giggle --

I'm doing JUDDD low carb, actually -- my body just prefers lower carb eating, and I've been doing it forever now (since 2003, with a few short breaks over the years), so I don't much think about it anymore. That said, low carb alone is not enough to make me lose weight, because I am completely adapted to this WOE.

I may try adding in some select carbs later on, if I manage to reach goal and maintain easily with JUDDD ... we'll see. But I can't see a time -- ever -- when I will go back to refined sugars or most grains as a regular part of my diet. Fruit, sweet potatoes... those I would like to enjoy from time to time.... and even certain grains would be nice on occasion ... but if that doesn't work out, I still have a lot of low carb choices that I genuinely enjoy.

Oh, and I should add -- I very rarely eat bacon. It seems that so many low carbers live on bacon, which I find funny -- people (low carb or not) DO love their bacon! I eat it maybe once or twice a year, if I have breakfast out somewhere and it sounds particularly good. Eggs, on the other hand, I do eat pretty much every day, in some form or another.

I am another LC Juddder! Oh, I am not a diehard LC'er and have had a couple of the 100 g carb UDs before, especially when I first began. I am one who just discovered LC 5 years ago. It wasn't until I hit pre-meno and began to panic about my weight. In fact, I never had a weight problem until 45 and then it wasn't till 49 that I decided to get serious.

Most of my carbs come from fruit, oatmeal, and veggies. I am hoping that when I do get to goal, (soon ) that I can have a splash more of the complex carbs and especially dark chocolate. I doubt that I will ever be a sugar girl again. I breakout right on my nose and it is not pretty.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
SLOW weight loss.
Meat, meat OR meat.
Leaving pizza crust on the plate, and trying to appear nonchalant
Pretending lettuce is bread and claiming to prefer it
Yearning for Chinese food, a piece of cake or some pasta.
NoWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heather
Stats: 175.8/155.6/149.8
WOE: JUDDD/Potato Hack
Start Date: Restart 6/27/14 - Loss: 20.2 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWeigh View Post
SLOW weight loss.
Meat, meat OR meat.
Leaving pizza crust on the plate, and trying to appear nonchalant
Pretending lettuce is bread and claiming to prefer it
Yearning for Chinese food, a piece of cake or some pasta.
ditto
Heather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzeQ
Stats: 5'2"/75 years old 169/160/135
WOE: Anything that works!
Start Date: June 6, 2011
I still keep my carbs at <100 a day. That is easy peasey to do. However, I admit that not having to strategize helps so much. Sometimes I crave meat, and other days not so much. I like having a piece of toast with poached eggs, stuff like that. But I still stay vigilant.
SuzeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Biggest thing for me: I DON'T miss the experience of "messing up" one day or one tiny bit and gaining 5 pounds the next morning. Then, those 5 pounds staying on my body for 2 or more weeks despite me not cheating at all. Ugh! Ugh! Ugh!

I don't miss the guilt I always felt doing LC!

I love that JUDD is forgiving. I've been on enough vacations and business trips since starting this that I know I can really live! I can enjoy the social events, dinners, luncheons, get back home, get back to rotations and any vacation weight gained disappears quickly. Most of the gain turns out to be water weight and falls away. I don't get bloated. My clothes fit even after the occasional UUAAD.

There is no guilt w/ JUDD woe for me. Just get right back into rotations every time. It's easy.

Unreal. I'm so darn happy about this. Yay for JUDD!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote