Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abby
Stats: 5'7";197_'09;167/139/132_'12
WOE: LC/VLC
MAINTENANCE QUESTION?????

My maintenance calorie level on both the JUDDD site and Tool: Calorie calculator - MayoClinic.com is around 1800 cal/day. In theory, one should be able to MAINTAIN current weight at this intake level. So why does the JUDDD maintenance plan ask you to essentially alternate between 100% of your maintenance level and 50-60%???????

Why shouldn't I simply be able to maintain by eating around 1800 calories per day?????
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
My maintenance calorie level on both the JUDDD site and Tool: Calorie calculator - MayoClinic.com is around 1800 cal/day. In theory, one should be able to MAINTAIN current weight at this intake level. So why does the JUDDD maintenance plan ask you to essentially alternate between 100% of your maintenance level and 50-60%???????

Why shouldn't I simply be able to maintain by eating around 1800 calories per day?????
Just depends, on if you want the Sirt-1 and it's benefits??? If not, then you certainly don't have to rotate.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:38 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Sunday, but I still don't get it. If eating at one's maintenance level should stabilize one's weight, then wouldn't alternating between 100% and 50% cause you to continue to lose?????
Old 06-18-2012, 05:33 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I don't know why the JUDDD site says that. My experience has been that I can eat a TON on calories on my UDs and maintain as long as my DDs are still 600 calories. I've calculated the averages and I'm staying around 1900 calories, which is fine for me to maintain at 5'7". I DO go up and down the scales 3-4 pounds every week, but it doesn't bother me. As long as it always goes back down, which it does, I'm a happy camper.
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:48 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Agree with Redhead! Your UD is 1800 calories but you have to add the rotation even in maintenance while JUDDDing. If you were to eat 1800 calories every day, you should in theory maintain, but you will not have the other benefits of JUDDD. And as your metabolism slows with age, so will your weight begin to fluctuate. Just ask any of us who have gone through menopause! You will understand where we are coming from!

Avoid regaining lost fat.
Slow the aging process.
Reduce the cause of inflammatory disease by 90%.
Etc.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<278/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I think I posted the same thing a few months ago...
and I think many maintainers have to eat higher-than-maintenance calories on their UDs to keep from losing weight.

MATHEMATICALLY speaking,
let's say your maintenance calories are 2000/day (easier math ),
then you should be able to eat something like 3000 UD/1000 DD.
Realistically...Some people may have to eat less, but I think some people can eat even more, because the rotation of JUDDD makes you lose weight even when you're eating "maintenance" calories.

Can't wait til I get to maintenance and can find out!!!

PS--Ha! Here, found it:
Something I don't understand about JUDDD maintenance...
New lows, 2014:
7/27 275.4

Last edited by piratejenny; 06-18-2012 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: PS
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, thanks PJ! I knew she would have to eat more on UD, but figured that the JUDDD calculator may be why so many are losing weight during maintenance! Which is also the miracle of JUDDD! I am hoping that I am here in a couple of months!!!
Old 06-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
The Mayo site lists my maint cals at 1550. I think if I ate that every day, I'd gain. I stay very steady at 600/1600. So going to 1550 daily would not seem to be prudent for me.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Abby, have you read the book? You seem very interested in JUDDD although I know you are doing Stillmans. You have mentioned before that you might switch to JUDDD for maintenance.

I can't quite understand why you would wish to fix something that isn't broken. JUDDD works because of the variety of calories between the UDs and DDs.

Indeed you may be able to maintain by eating 1800 calories a day. Many people do I am sure. But that is not JUDDD and it will never offer you any of the wonderful health benefits of JUDDD.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Pirate, for the link. It's clear that many have pondered this same question. I'll probably adopt the suggested 1800/900 JUDDD program for "maintenance" but anticipate that I will still lose while averaging only 1350 cal/day. I want to maintain only. If that's the case, I'll look at either the Dukan or Stillman maintenance plans.

Thanks,

Last edited by Abby; 06-18-2012 at 06:22 PM..
Old 06-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #11

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Hi, Abby. First of all, all of the various Calorie Calculators can only give us *a number*... based on averages, and as we often come to realize, sometimes our bodies just aren't average when it comes to how much we can eat/calories we can eat, and still expect to maintain at our final goal weight. Some of us have found we couldn't lose or maintain on the numbers we were given, but a whole lot of us have found we could maintain at a higher number even. Which is certainly fun! So don't focus on those numbers as though they are carved into stone.

And then too, there is that last part of the equation which they always term *moderate exercise* or *sedentary*, etc. None of us know whether our estimates are correct there or not. LOL

And although the Mayo site and the JUDDD site are quite close in what they proclaim is our daily calorie number for maintenance, other sites are often enough lower, making the Mayo and JUDDD sites seeming to be the higher estimates. These last two sites are often giving maintenance numbers in the range of 100 calories a day above some of the other sites. Many have felt that the JUDDD Up Day number is pretty generous, but it certainly seems to work when paired with the given DD number, so most of us don't argue with success.

A lot of the pleasure of JUDDD is the freedom to eat anything on Up Days without having to eat at *diet-level* calories on those days at all! Every other day is FREE from DIETING. For some of us, that's been wonderful.

The basic reason for the Up/Down calorie spread even during maintenance is that alternating seems to keep some of that calorie cycling going, for the varied benefits that calorie cycling seems to bring. Studies seem to be showing that our bodies respond very positively to calorie cycling even when we are no longer working on any weight loss at all.

The point in the end is this: IF you go into JUDDD maintenance at your given 1800 calorie daily level, and choose to pair that with a 60% calorie level on alternate days, and IF you continue to lose more weight... You just increase your calories until you don't lose anymore! You wouldn't be the first to find that at the given percentages, weight was still being lost! Lucky are those who face that problem. It's easy to enjoy increasing your days to 2000-calorie Up Days & 1200-calorie Down Days, or any number combination that you decide on to end the weight loss!

I think the JUDDD plan keeps folks averaged out *a little on the light side*, but that is probably just as well, as many, many of us have been so obese and morbidly obese that we will never really be able to eat the calories a more normal person might be expected to get by with easily. We try to heal on JUDDD. But we all may not be able to eat a normal amount of calories ever again, even in maintenance. We just wait and see.

We just still try to keep to eating somewhat higher calories on the one day and lower calories on the following day.. just to keep that cycle going. It seems to stimulate our metabolisms to function optimally.

In maintenance, we often have to experiment a bit to find our own true personal calorie numbers. The Calorie Calculators of the various sites, even Mayo & JUDDD, are only guides. Obviously if a person is losing weight beyond their goal at any given number, they change something.....
Old 06-19-2012, 03:46 AM   #12

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Thanks Pat, you are so clear with your explanations.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:08 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for your help, PAT. You're the Queen of JUDDD. I'll have to play around with the numbers during maintenance. I certainly have come to appreciate the remarkable utility of JUDDD for dieting. However, use of calorie cycling to simply maintain appears to be a very different animal.

Enjoy all of your visitors........