Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/192/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
Best tasting LC cheese?

Now that I can have an occassional sandwich again, I'm looking for the best tasting Low Calorie Cheese out there. There are so many kinds so can anyone suggest one along with the calorie count? The lower the better but I don't want it to taste like rubber. It can be a cheese product as long as it tastes good.

Thanks!
brewstate is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Most peeps around here use Laughing Cow or WW wedges.

I like to use reduced-fat cream cheese on sammiches...it takes the place of cheese AND mayo, and actually feels/tastes cheesier than a slice of cheese.

There are no low-cal cheeses that I like.
But a lot of sliced cheeses are 3/4oz and around 70-80 cals...some DDs I can fit that in. Other times I wait for an UD to eat loads of real cheese.

Last edited by piratejenny; 06-17-2012 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: grammar
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I use very thin slices of full-fat, real cheeses- cut 'em with a super sharp knife and weigh them thereafter. I find it does not take much cheese to add flavor.

On DD, when the mood hits, I make 'salad in a wrap'. 75 cals in the wrap, about 40 cals of veggies/lettuce, and 100 cals of cheese. 215 is a lot of calories but, oh it works. On UD, cheese is a great way to make my calories.

Okay, before everyone starts shouting, I do add Laughing Cow wedges to my cabbage stir fry. And it is delish .
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 06-17-2012 at 03:39 PM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March, 2009
Agreeing with Nancy, but I use finely shredded. That way I can add a little TWANG of my favorite, sharp cheddar, without feeling like I broke the nutritional bank. I have determined what 1/8-cup looks like, and can add that much without bothering to measure now, which makes it easy to enter into a calorie calculator.

LC cheeses Vote - I vote for Laughing Cow, Elise, simply because of the attention to packaging. Because of the perfect little wrapped portions, I know exactly how much I ate, and enter into a calorie calculator. Just as important, it remains sanitary and well-preserved when I may wait several DDs to eat it the next time. To my taste, Light Garlic and Herb, Light Creamy Swiss, and of the Smooth Sensations Cream Cheeses, the Garden Vegetable.

Wrap chat - I shred carrots and fresh yellow squash together in a small food processor, Nancy, and add just a little mayo. I place long thin slices of cucumber onto the wrap and fill with the carrot/squash mixture. It is messy to eat, but wonderful!!! Now here's the TMI part - it will keep a DD from being constipating, without adding too many carbs. Hmmm... I need to add that to the not-a-recipe thread.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
I just use the regular cheese and count the calories.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I think it is because on UD we can eat more cheese. For a short time I did keep low cal cheese and the real thing. And, every other day, I was reminded of how very good the real thing is.

As Whitlin' says, 1/8 cup, or a one ounce slice of good Gruyere, is...oh golly....mmmmmm

Re: TMI. I think shredding, finely chopping, food processoring veggies enhances digestion, increases apparent volume, creates a very satisfying texture/mouth-feel, and - ah - leaves town quickly. I love 'em.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
I actually like the Kraft 2% American slices for 45 calories. Worlds better than the fat free 30 calorie ones, I think.
mttemple4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:34 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: laceylady
Stats: 16w(210)/size 14(175)/size 12
WOE: LC -- again
Start Date: Jan 2012/restart May 2013/restart again Oct 2014
I bought Kraft Fat Free slices at 25 cals and they are OK -- I don't think much about it because it LOOKS like the good old full-fat slices. It's a mental thing for me, I guess. Laughing Cow swiss wedges I use more than any of the other flavors because it replaces mayo but still adds the cheesy flavor. If I have a roast beef sandwich, the tomato basil (or whatever it is--I'm out of it or I'd check for accuracy) is my choice; the French Onion is good on some Wasa crackers. I'm not much into the spicier ones but I'm sure they're good if you like spice.
laceylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ASHLEY2HAWAII
Stats: 196/183/125
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: RESTART 7-8-14
Sargento makes a very thin slice cheese in swiss, cheddar and colby jack. it is 40-45 cals and is the real thing. I love it I get it at Wal-mart.
ASHLEY2HAWAII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #10
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
I love Swiss cheese.
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I love, love, LOVE cheese! All types of cheese. But so far I've been disappointed in any low fat or fat free fake cheeses that are very low calorie... except for the Laughing Cow lite cheese wedges (and related brands), but particularly the Laughing Cow brand.

So on DDs, if I need cheese, it's Laughing Cow wedges. They are truly delicious. And I save my real full fat cheese eating for UDs and eat the real yummy thing!

Sort of like eating desserts, for me. I don't like the fake ones, weird ingredients, alternative sweeteners, etc. so I just don't eat desserts on Down Days. If I'm going to eat a dessert, it's going to be a great one made with real sugar, and it will be in a decent but still modest portion, eaten on an Up Day. God Bless JUDDD!
Old 06-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 2BoysMom
Stats: Too pissed to talk about it
WOE: Keeping it simple- Hi Fat, Mod Protein and Lo Carb
Start Date: 1.26.2004 - 1st time. This time 1.1.2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHLEY2HAWAII View Post
Sargento makes a very thin slice cheese in swiss, cheddar and colby jack. it is 40-45 cals and is the real thing. I love it I get it at Wal-mart.
Ditto this - for sandwiches, etc....it is the way to go. They are REAL cheese, just sliced very thin, so you get all the flavor without the calories.

For melting purposes, Laughing Cow light or WW wedges work quite nicely.
2BoysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Kerrygold, the Irish cheese maker, has a reduced-calorie cheddar which is amazingly good. Trader Joe's often carries it. Cabot has an excellent reduced calories cheddar as well. TJs often has reduced calorie cheeses from Switzerland which are yummy as well.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote