Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hikergurl
Stats: 5'11" 208/162/165
WOE: HCG/JUDDD
Start Date: 5/31/11
Anyone not counting calories on UD's?

Just wondering if there will ever come a day when I won't have to count calories anymore. I long for that freedom! Does anyone just eat to hunger on their UD, maybe even splurge with a dessert or larger meal here or there (but not binge), not count calories, and still lose and/or maintain?
hikergurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Terilynn
Stats: back to LC 1/6/14, going to stick to & make it
WOE: LC
I don't, but don't follow my lead..... I lose very slowly
Terilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
There are some who do and do fine with it. I personally couldn't, because I'd eat 3000 calories per UD and I still have a lot to lose. You're very close to goal, and if you think you can eat fairly close without going TOO far over or TOO far under (yes that can be a problem too), I say try it out and see what happens.

Laurie (theredhead) is in maintenance and I think she mentioned she eats a LOT of calories on UDs and just makes sure to really stick to her low DDs. Good luck and let us know what you decide and how it works out for you!

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/171.4/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD :)
Start Date: Start date: September 10, 2014
I still count on both days but I don't have a fit if I go over by 1 or 2 hundred cals on my UD, I royally screwed up my DD yesterday, I was making end of year "thank you" cookies for teachers and bus drivers, I made over 125 Huge cookies....4 different kinds (peanut butter, chocolate w/chocolate chunks, oatmeal, and chocolate chip) and ate about 6 of them! It was a once a year splurge and I made my husband take all the extras to work. Back on track today.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Balancing Dawn, I have to count or my UDs tend to come in too low.

Over time I have gotten a lot of info memorized. The meals I eat over and over again are nbd now. And when I eat out - special occasion, you know, doesn't happen too often, wear a dress, put on make up, brush my hair - I don't count, just make sure the surrounding DDs are below or at 500.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I definitely have to count. I expect I'll have to for a long time now.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sammycat
Stats: 139/134/125
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2012
I count too, but once I reach maintenance I won't count on the weekends as an experiment.
sammycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #8

Gallery: Majerus
Start Date: 1/03
I don't count on my uds. I have found it so freeing. I've only been doing this a less than 2 weeks, and I counted for the first 4 (I think) uds and I found myself getting nutso. Can we say OBSESSION? Since I stopped, everything has gotten easier. I'm starting to love eating like this. My dds (for the most part) are pretty easy. My uds (for the most part) are fairly reasonable. I'm finding I'm making pretty good choices now that I have the freedom to choose anything I want.

I know this doesn't work for some people. But for *me* it's the only way. And if I end up losing more slowly because of it I'm ok with that. Life's too short to be miserable all the time.

In fact, I feel better on this woe than I have in SUCH a long time. :confetti:

R3: 177.8/166.4/160

Last edited by Majerus; 06-15-2012 at 12:18 PM..
Majerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jodeeras
Stats: 174 / 160.0 / 115
Start Date: 12/1/11 Atkins; 5/8/12 JUDDD
I count on UDs:

First because I'm learning how many calories are actually in food. Over the years I've counted carbs and I've counted points (WW). Don't particularly like counting anything. So, I'm learning about calories. It's much more fascinating on JUDDD for some reason.

Second because I've noticed I don't have a ravenous appetite (as I did before), and I fear falling too far below my calories.

If I go on vacation, however, I let my appetite be my guide.

I hope to not have to count forever

Last edited by jodeeras; 06-15-2012 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: additional thought
jodeeras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Some JUDDDers have found that they eat too little on UDs, and gain weight!

I don't always count...or I count very loosely.
Yesterday was an UD...
I was still awake at 2am and very hungry. I tallied up everything I'd eaten
(I always write it down, even if I don't put in the calories)
and was at least 500, maybe 800 calories short of my ceiling (which is 2400)!
I got out of bed and had some toast & butter & cheese.

What's weird is that *sometimes* on UDs when I feel like I've pigged out, I've only eaten 1500-1800 calories. But on "hungry" DDs I find it difficult to stay under 1000-1200 calories.

I think it's weird that as little as 300 calories of fattier food, or perhaps food eaten with less anxiety (I sometimes get anxious on DDs!), is so much more satisfying.

I haven't seen her posting as much lately, but Sophiethecat is one who does not count on UDs and was maintaining very well.

I think it really depends on whether you can truly eat "intuitively", and whether your body is good at burning, rather than storing, fat.

As big as I am, I honestly get full rather quickly and hate the feeling of being stuffed. I eat so much less, and so much more slowly, than the skinny people in my life!!! I don't eat tiny portions, by any means, but neither do I eat in a gluttonous way (okay...maybe on holidays! ).
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 06-15-2012 at 03:32 PM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
I'm so hyper aware of calories at this point that I don't think I could NOT count calories even if I tried to. Does that make sense to anyone? When I see the food it's like there is automatically a little number floating in the air above it. But I'm ok with that because I consider it kind of like a little built in protective mechanism in my brain.Does anyone remember when Ohpra lost all that weight and brought out that little wagon of fat to represent the amount of fat she had lost? Well, that's how I think of it. Twenty five pounds of that greasy blobby yellow fat that I never want covering me up ever againThose nasty little calories are sneaky and they have a way of adding up so quickly it can make your head spinNot to mention they taste soooo good.i never met a calorie I didn't like.Once I'm in maintence I plan on having a couple of FD per month and see how that works for me. But as a rule, I will always count. My fear of gaining back the weight far outweighs my annoyance of calorie counting.
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #12

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terilynn View Post
I don't, but don't follow my lead..... I lose very slowly
This is me ^^^

I don't count my UDs either. But I am coming from hcg, am diet weary, and am afraid that I will go off the deep end if I go counting something else. I just want to eat!!!!!!!!! I did only 500 calories on the DDs. 500 calories I know how to do that! I lost well last week--I must have been needing those extra calories because I ate everything This week---gaining So, I am still counting the DDs calories and still eating whatever on UDs. Next week I will buckle down and get more with the program. Just trying to get my head in the program. Almost there!
Old 06-16-2012, 06:04 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/155/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
As KeirasMom mentioned, I'm able to have very free UDs in maintenance. I DID strictly count my UD calories until I got below my goal, then gradually started loosening up. The JUDDD magic has allowed me to eat a TON of food on UDs and stay below my goal for about the last six months! BUT, I'm VERY strict about 600 calorie DDs. I NEVER blow those. Eating up to 3000 calories on a lot of my UDs is my "reward". Also, most weekends, I do two UDs in a row, with no ill effects. For ME, this is the JUDDD magic.

I really think JUDDD has healed my metabolism and I'm able to handle those calories because of it. Now, let's pick this apart a little. In a week where I eat, say, 2800 calories four days, and 600 calories three days, I get an average of 1857 calories/day. At 5'7", this is a reasonable amount of maintenance calories. I love to eat, and I usually eat that many calories, or even 3000 calories on most UDs, but of course, there are some days I'm not as hungry and don't go quite that high. I just like that I don't seem to need to count the UDs anymore. I also eat some junk on my UDs, when we go out to eat, but at home, I cook and eat low carb. It's also easy to keep my carbs low on DDs.

This is my JUDDD wish for all my JUDDD BUDDDs...that YOU will have the healing, the SIRT1 enzyme activitiy, whatever the "magic" is....and we'll all live happily skinny after!
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredhead View Post
As KeirasMom mentioned, I'm able to have very free UDs in maintenance. I DID strictly count my UD calories until I got below my goal, then gradually started loosening up. The JUDDD magic has allowed me to eat a TON of food on UDs and stay below my goal for about the last six months! BUT, I'm VERY strict about 600 calorie DDs. I NEVER blow those. Eating up to 3000 calories on a lot of my UDs is my "reward". Also, most weekends, I do two UDs in a row, with no ill effects. For ME, this is the JUDDD magic.

I really think JUDDD has healed my metabolism and I'm able to handle those calories because of it. Now, let's pick this apart a little. In a week where I eat, say, 2800 calories four days, and 600 calories three days, I get an average of 1857 calories/day. At 5'7", this is a reasonable amount of maintenance calories. I love to eat, and I usually eat that many calories, or even 3000 calories on most UDs, but of course, there are some days I'm not as hungry and don't go quite that high. I just like that I don't seem to need to count the UDs anymore. I also eat some junk on my UDs, when we go out to eat, but at home, I cook and eat low carb. It's also easy to keep my carbs low on DDs.

This is my JUDDD wish for all my JUDDD BUDDDs...that YOU will have the healing, the SIRT1 enzyme activitiy, whatever the "magic" is....and we'll all live happily skinny after!
Great to read this! I look forward to not counting when I reach goal. I have 27 lbs to go before goal and have been experimenting with the "hunger scale" also. I am hoping that when I arrive at goal, that I can eat as per the "hunger scale" on UD and DD. I really have lost my appetite doing JUDDD and sometimes I fear that listening to my "hunger scale" may not always work to get the UD cals in. I so enjoy reading your posts.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: minimonkey
Stats: 5'0" -- very small frame
WOE: Clean eating, whole foods
I'm also coming off hcg (again!) and am approaching it much like Dawn is doing -- 500 calorie down days, unrestricted calories on up days (but low carb, for me, all around.) I did a cleanse along with the hcg this last few weeks, so my eating was very limited, and I was very depleted when I finished it.

I'm already seeing a damping down of my appetite, which is really encouraging -- my whole appetite mechanism got wonky with the prolonged starvation of doing way too many and too frequent rounds of hcg.

After the first two weeks, I'll start adhering to the up day calorie limits, I think -- and perhaps drop the down days too -- but right now, I'm enjoying the extra nourishment, and I think I really need it!

At the moment, my goal is to break out of the vicious cycle of dieting and rebound gaining on nearly nothing, which was happening to me, badly. Once I've recalibrated a bit, I will launch more actively into WLM and see if I can drop the last ten pounds or so to goal.

8/28:128.6 .... 10/7 118.4 ....10/20: 115.8
minimonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #16

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
mini--I must say that it feels good to be strict on the DDs and not so strict in the UDs. I have gained this week but I know that once I start counting the calories I will go back down. I cannot count right now--not so much cannot as much as just plain don't want to. I am weary from the hcg, I have doing it too long and coming off a failed P2......I am doing OK. I think we will both benefit from this!!! No matter what the scale says. We have time to adjust things as necessary.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/155/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
Dawn, don't let the blip on the scale freak you out. Honestly, it DOES get easier, and the jumps will become smaller and less frequent. I'm glad you're with us!
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #18

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
I think I will probably need to count forever. My appetite is fairly broken, and I can eat and eat and eat and never notice that I'm getting so many calories. If it's the price I pay for getting to live in this body, instead of the 300 pound one, I'll take it.

But I don't necessarily think that everyone needs to count every day forever. YMMV.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thomasina838
WOE: JUDDD & paleo
Start Date: 16 Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikergurl View Post
Just wondering if there will ever come a day when I won't have to count calories anymore. I long for that freedom! Does anyone just eat to hunger on their UD, maybe even splurge with a dessert or larger meal here or there (but not binge), not count calories, and still lose and/or maintain?
you will eventually get there. but you will be the first to know when it happens. because you will eat as you like and get to the end of the day and have to question if you ate enough. and some days you wont. that is how you will know. it doesnt happen fast.
thomasina838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
I will count forever really. Otherwise I would eat way too much. However, I do at times over do it, and especially If I drink alcohol. So then I just get right back on it and watch the calories.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

I was feeling the same way, Dawn -- I just needed a few free days to eat all I desired, before getting strict again.

Tomorrow I will start monitoring my up day calories -- I'm feeling very little hunger on my down day today, so I am thinking that if the hunger suppression holds, I'll be more than satisfied with the up day amounts.

I'm working out regularly now, so I have fairly generous calorie allowances -- and I am using the JUDDD calculator for moderate exercise. My goal with the workouts is to build muscle, and that does require eating a fair amount, so I think that is a good decision.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
So good to see all of you JUDDDing! YOU are going to do great!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:27 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
I'll count for a long while yet. I never counted a calorie before JUDDDing, and was amazed at how much I was ingesting. And now, when I'm away from home (and I am for about 1/2 of each week), I'm amazed at how my estimates drift. An avocado? 14 cals! A huge steak? Maybe 150? A full bag of Oreos? 200?
Something desperate inside me still wants tons of food and is more than willing to lie to myself to get it. So yup, counting is for me until that changes.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:50 AM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

Man, I want some of those 14 calorie avocados! Send 'em right over! LOL --

I've dieted so much over the years that I am pretty much a walking calorie counter -- so I suspect I will always keep something of a running total in my head, whether I am formally counting them or not....
Old 06-18-2012, 04:32 AM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120.8/115-120
I love eating and eating up to my 1600 cal UD is a very easy for me. I know I can so easily go over by 1000-1500 cal , so I do have to count. I am sure once I reach my goal and also once I visually learn what 1600 cal looks like, I will relax a bit. But for the time being I do have to count everything.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:18 AM   #26

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
I count, but I am a NUMBERS person. I love playing with them. Have this you have XXX left, eat this, only have XXX left. If there is something special going on and I can't estimate easily, I will eat light the rest of the day so I have plenty left for the special event.
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jodeeras
Stats: 174 / 160.0 / 115
Start Date: 12/1/11 Atkins; 5/8/12 JUDDD
I did not count calories yesterday.

I thought I went way over (1600) as I ate pretty freely.

So, I entered the food from yesterday online this morning. I actually fell short by 250 / 300 calories. I also was up 1 1/2 lbs. (I find if I eat all my UD calories, the scale doesn't bounce as much for me.)

Think I won't try this again too soon.
jodeeras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodeeras View Post
I did not count calories yesterday.

I thought I went way over (1600) as I ate pretty freely.

So, I entered the food from yesterday online this morning. I actually fell short by 250 / 300 calories. I also was up 1 1/2 lbs. (I find if I eat all my UD calories, the scale doesn't bounce as much for me.)

Think I won't try this again too soon.
That's how it is/was for me, also.
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brehede
Stats: 283/264/140
WOE: LC JUDDD
Start Date: January 2012
I don't count UDs except that I keep fairly low carb. I do have a reasonable sense of whether I am going over the top calorie wise though! My weight loss is fairly slow for someone with lots to lose but the freedom of UDs help keep me on track!
brehede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I don't count when we are away camping, and it hasn't been an issue yet. Except for the darned liquor, that always affects the scale in a bad bad way.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote