Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KelAly8894
Stats: 124/118/110
WOE: JUDDD 1500/500
Start Date: 5/29/2012
Up Days Hard to Control

I'm new to JUDD and a former LCer. So, like many of you, I am having problems controlling my UD's because (I think) the increase in carbs is triggering overeating. Have any of you had luck controlling the urge to eat besides having to go back to a LC way of life? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I never thought my DD's would be easier for me to control.
KelAly8894 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
It took me a while to settle into a balance between UD "freedom" and still limiting calories. DDs are in some ways easier, as you mention.

As with any plan, planning helps a lot. If I allow myself X calories for breakfast, and Y calories for lunch, then I have Z calories for dinner. If I don't plan ahead, I end up with too many calories early in the day, and then am hungry in the evening.

So planning helps a lot!
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I am certainly not advocating the way I did it BUT I have lost 25 pounds since Januaury 8, 2012 doing DD/UUAD. I have just now had to REALLY start watching those UD calories in order to lose. I found that too much freedom was not good for me personally so I decided to follow the Lean for Life protocol for UD's using fullfat salad dressing to increas the calories since LFL is lowfat and low calorie although moderate carbs.

So perhaps choose another plan that is structured to follow along with JUDDD. I chose LFL since I am familiar with it and lost quite well on it years ago.
I have 15 more pounds to lose but am not in a hurry nor would I be too terribly upset if I never lose them. I am at a hppy place right now and can wear many clothes that have been hanging in my closet for the past 3 years so all is good.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Synger is right-plan, plan, plan. I should take that advice...

I came from LC too. My carbs are stiill fairly low, averaging under 100 every day-not on purpose, just used to it, I guess.... It does take a while to get used to, but it does happen. Yes, DDs are actually easier in a way...
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
You can do it a couple of ways. Back off the carbs, let the sirt enzymes build up, and then start re-introducing them slowly, stopping any that induce cravings to wait and reintroduce at a later time.

Or, just keep eating what you want, using Synger's advice to plan better, and in time, you should start making healthier choices naturally.

I've seen it work both ways. Personally, I chose the first. Came here from paleo, tried adding carbs, got cravings and big blood sugar spikes. I still follow a primarily primal/paleo woe because my body just really likes it, and I feel great this way. I don't miss the carby/sugary treats, because I make yummy goodies with grain-free flowers and low glycemic sweeteners (coconut sugar and stevia). If I stray and start nibbling on the grain/sugary stuff, my cravings increase (as do digestive troubles).

But just because you can't have those things NOW without triggering overeating, that doesn't mean you will never be able to have them. JUDDD heals so much, physically and mentally, that if you go back to a lower carb woe now, in a month or so, the story may look completely different. I'd likely do lc, but add in more veggies right away. Very few people find that veggies are binge triggers for them. Maybe don't overdo the carrots/peas since they are more sugary.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
I am one of those people who was having trouble staying within my UD calories when I first started. I do try to keep my carbs under 100, but there are days I go higher. As the months ticked by, I found a "healing" going on and I am able to stay at my UD limits without effort now. This is such a blessing!

I do know that certain foods are triggers for me. I have difficulty controlling certain items, so I only eat them in a controlled environment. For example, hot tortilla chips are a passion of mine. I do okay eating a controlled portion out at a restaurant and find I can control my UD calories for the rest of the day. BUT once I bought a bag home thinking I could ration them out. I couldn't. They called to me until I finished the bag. It was like the old days of binging. So I keep those out of the house. I also do not bring in ice cream. Certain foods do not trigger me to eat more. Like I can actually eat two squares of dark chocolate with almonds and sea salt, and fold up the rest of the package and not eat it.

You may want to back down on some of the carbs for awhile and re-introduce them slowly. And for awhile, you might want to avoid trigger foods. I think many of us experience a "healing" in that area as time goes on.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
KelAly,
Ooooh, I know what you mean! I have two thoughts:
1. Keep getting back on the horse. Each UUAD taught me more about my relationship with food. And after every one of them comes a beautiful DD.
2. I think it was Nancy who said she tried introducing one carby thing at a time, a week or two apart. This works for me. At this point I'm good with all veggies, berries and some but not all other fruits. Sweet chocolate still sends me off the rails, dark chocolate doesn't. Etc.
Hope this helps.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
sungoddess has it right,
you have to figure out which foods YOU can eat, have in the house, only have out somewhere as a treat, or just give a complete miss.
While you are free to choose anything you want to eat, your body and mind are unique and those choices will affect you.
I don't want to eat things that will cause me to binge. I don't want to eat things that will make me fatter and sick again. With intermittent fasting, the only one telling you what food choices to make is YOU. Plan to eat for your health, it pays off in the long run.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
WOE: JUDDD
It's easy to go wild early on for a lot of people. A few strategies I can think of might help.

First, limit yourself to ONE formerly forbidden item per UD. Be sensible about what you eat during the day, but allow yourself (plan for it) ONE "goodie", whatever particular thing it is that is persistently calling your name.

Make use at first of pre-packaged portion controlled things. It's against my frugal nature to do it, but I did it in the beginning until I felt I could trust myself and I don't have a problem now. Buy ONE doughnut at the bakery, get those small bags of chips, etc., get the smallest container of ice cream they sell, etc. If you know you have a tendency to eat the whole bag of chips, buy only the "lunch size" bags. Sure, you still could go on to rip open bag after bag after bag, but it would be more of a conscious decision on your part and not a mindless over-eating, "OOPS!" thing. Portion control is something most all of us have had trouble with. Most of us have a very skewed idea of what a "normal portion" really is.

It may be easier to save the goodie until later on in the day so it's something to look forward to and not setting the stage for a day of wild abandon. You'll have fewer hours to go "off the rails" before you go to bed if you eat formerly forbidden stuff later on in the day.

All my best!

Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Lots of good suggestions here!!!
Ditto to them, plus...

--I find L-Glutamine to be really helpful in controlling my hunger.
I did LC and JUDDD for over 18 months without consistently being less hungry.
One week of l-glut changed that drastically.
I take 5g, 4x per day.

--Eating a large, filling meal ("filling" differs for everyone; for some it means more protein, or more fat, or a ginormous salad) and allowing ZERO snacking between meals helps me a lot. If I want a "snacky" thing--chips, nuts, an ice cream bar--I have it with my meal.

If I get hungry between meals, I don't snack; I wait til I'm hungry enough to really eat--and learn to plan better meals!

(sometimes I allow coffee & cream or chicken broth & cream to hold me over if I feel shaky or grumpy)

It took a while, but I worked up to waiting at least 5 hours between meals (suggestions from Dr Bernstein & Dr Kruse).
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 06-15-2012 at 09:55 AM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
pj and Sheridan.

Last edited by Joyjoy; 06-15-2012 at 09:55 AM..
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
Really good advice all around and a number of different strategies to try. Many of us came from LC - me too, so I love the freedom to eat formally forbidden foods and my first couple of weeks the UDs were difficult to control. I still feel like I am dieting on UD as I can't just eat to hunger or desire or they turn into UUAD days of 3000 calories. What I do now and that works for me is to save most of my UD calories for a big blow out meal - on weekends it includes wine and desert so I feel like I can really splurge. I hope you find what works for you!
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yellobrix
Stats: 199/175/150
WOE: Tweaking & Discovering
Start Date: Over & Over... 'Til I Get It Right!
It's a risk for me, too - I feel like I'm running with scissors. I know that I'll have to count and plan and plan and count to make each UD a good one and not an excuse to be ridiculous. DD's are easy. I do need to make some adjustments for fat, since in following a very low carb plan, I had no worries about fat. Now, to keep the calories in check on the DD's I will need to find some lower-fat alternatives. Not a problem, just have to retool my thinking! Example - almond milk rather than coconut milk, and also portion sizes will definitely have to be reduced. I'd almost find it easier to eat nothing at all.
Yellobrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Yep, I waited several weeks before trying one small portion of one single trigger food at a time. Always eaten with a meal so 'hunger' did not get involved. Then I waited to see if I started thinking about more. If I did, I waited another couple of weeks then tried again. These days I can eat whatever portion I want of whatever I want...even tortilla chips (Love 'em! Beverly, we are definitely unsuspected twin sisters).

Last edited by gotsomeold; 06-15-2012 at 12:25 PM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KelAly8894
Stats: 124/118/110
WOE: JUDDD 1500/500
Start Date: 5/29/2012
WOW !!!! EVERYONE, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL OF THIS ADVICE. Now I have several plans of action to choose from and I'm sure I will find one or more that work for me. I will be returning to this thread every UD for great information and renewed motivation. I am so very grateful.
KelAly8894 is offline   Reply With Quote