Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #61
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Okay, I guess we are talking about the same EVCO! I must have different tastebuds! Because IMHO, eggs taste fine, there is a slightly different taste but they love it. Children have different taste buds as well, my grands are not as picky as their parents were when they were children.

So, I did a search on Expeller Pressed and Cold Pressed and this explains what you are talking about...

Some oils are not cold pressed/expeller pressed and they use heat/hexane to remove the oil and it completely changes the taste. I don't know for sure which coconut oil uses the hexane method, but I agree that would not be a good oil to purchase and would definitely have a different taste. So it stands to reason that you would be losing the wonderful health benefits if you chose an oil that has used heat/chemicals to extract the oil from the nut. I think that by choosing only expeller pressed oils you will more likely be using oils that are more natural, more traditional, and better for your health.

What is Expeller Pressed Oil and Why Does it Matter? |

As you can see, the expeller pressing does not remove the flavor of the coconut. It is the heat or chemical that removes the flavor.
Yeah, the bleached and deodorized ones are not the best but it is a start. I remember when I got my very first jar---it was from the health food store and it was in the hair care section. Again, this was 2001 and not too many people at that time were using it as they are now. It was not hot as a supplement/food. Everyone was still anti-coconut oil. I was scared to death to put it in my mouth, I mean solid white oil in my mouth But I did it. I didn't use the whole jar for my oral consumption, I was still scared to use a hair product in my body. I think I used the rest of it for my body because I was reading that if you are consuming it, it should at least be food grade. Boy, have I come a long way Threads like this encourage us to do our own research so we are comfortable in what we are doing The more we know, the better off we are!

I get my coconut oil info from the website I buy it from---Tropical Traditions. They have all that info on their website and they process it differently. It really is a great site. Good info, even if you decide not to buy from them. I suggest looking at that one. I trust their products and feel quite good about buying my coconut oil, whether it be virgin or expeller pressed, from them. The FAQs will explain it all--just click on the coconut oils tab and then the pull down will have a FAQs. Very interesting stuff!!! Oh, and we had one lady who posted in the main lobby that she used Louana as her only coconut oil and she had a reduction in her cholesterol Again, it is not the best oil to buy, but it was all she could afford and it was what she was willing to do. But it worked for her! So it is an individual thing.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #62
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I am aware that I am using refined coconut oil to cook with. I choose to do so since I do not like the finished product with EVCO. I can't use butter since it burns and I don't use bacon due to all of the chemicals used to process it. Crisco isn't something I buy either but I guess I could use plain lard which I do have in the freezer for another purpose. So I am taking the low road and using refined coconut oil. To each his own.
I doubt that I am killing myself with cooking my egg in LouAnna every other morning. Might try the lard and see how it works. Lard is certainly cheaper.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/153/139 JUDDD 07/28/14
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #63

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I am aware that I am using refined coconut oil to cook with. I choose to do so since I do not like the finished product with EVCO. I can't use butter since it burns and I don't use bacon due to all of the chemicals used to process it. Crisco isn't something I buy either but I guess I could use plain lard which I do have in the freezer for another purpose. So I am taking the low road and using refined coconut oil. To each his own.
I doubt that I am killing myself with cooking my egg in LouAnna every other morning. Might try the lard and see how it works. Lard is certainly cheaper.
I have never tried lard. My DH thinks it is awesome. Maybe I should try it.
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #64
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Dawn - I could even render my own since I got a small bag of hog fat when we butchered our hogs last fall. Not something I wanted to do though. Really would prefer letting DS use it to make deer sausage next winter.
I already have a little package of lard in the frig thawing. I will test it on DH in the morning since it will be a DD for me. Wait, DH will eat anything so that isn't much of a test.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post

I have added it to smoothies and it didn't clump. I melt it and pour it in to the blender while it is running after everything elses is in there and blended (on low, you have to take the lid off).
I've done this, too, and it didn't clump for me.
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<278/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Oh, I love lard!!!
I don't use it a lot, as my son is vegetarian--just in some things that I make for myself.
I do use saved bacon grease, and I bought a tub of lard at the grocery store.
It's not ideal, because it's partially hydrogenated or something;
some day I hope to be able to render my own.

It gives a great texture to tortillas, home fries, biscuits, and pie crust.
And if you like refried beans, try warming them up with a spoonful of lard or bacon grease--so so SO good!!! Creamy and delicious!!!

I read that there's something in lard which prevents skin cancer!
I gotta run now, but I'll look for it later.
New lows, 2014:
7/27 275.4

Last edited by piratejenny; 06-17-2012 at 11:40 AM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Dawn, I am impressed that you have been using CO that long! I didn't realize how much coconut products TT has and will be ordering the next CO from them.

I am only going on 5 years of use and it wasn't always a big hit with me either! When I began the Hcg protocol in 09, I thought everyone was going a bit overboard about the benefits of the oil. I had the same experience with stevia, I was not a fan and could not see what all of the hoopla was. Now I have acquired a taste for both and wouldn't live without either.

Also, after reading Tropical Traditions website the oil that you are using does have all of the health benefits but they have found a way of blending the coconut taste out without using heat processses, so it is exactly the same healthwise as the EVCO.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Sunny7 I am guessing you eat LC or similar? It is nice to hear of others who have had good benefits! I have just started using it on my face, I was a bit worried that it would be too heavy. It certainly is much less costly than my other facial mosturizers. I will report back with my experience.
Yes i have been a low carber for 9years this month-----love it as a moisturizer----
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
Quote:
Dawn - I could even render my own since I got a small bag of hog fat when we butchered our hogs last fall. Not something I wanted to do though. Really would prefer letting DS use it to make deer sausage next winter.
I already have a little package of lard in i the frig thawing. I will test it on DH in the morning since it will be a DD for me. Wait, DH will eat anything so that isn't much of a test.
this is what i do, when we get one, i have the butcher save the fat, just render it out and keep it in the fridge---I-never by oils, just use this, bacon fat and coconut oil----
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/120/110-114
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Quote:
I already have a little package of lard in the frig thawing. I will test it on DH in the morning since it will be a DD for me. Wait, DH will eat anything so that isn't much of a test.
I have made my own lard too, very good stuff! Lard is not used in any sausage!!! Fat is used but not lard! Rather hard to explain the difference but there is! Your DS can use the pork fat, it is a different type of pork fat and not the type to use for lard! Hope this helps, my mother in law would be able to point it out, but she is no longer with us, she was the best when it came to lard!!
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #71

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/137.7/125; 5'1"
WOE: HCG Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 07/2014
Quote:

there is nothing wrong with using the refined. There is no magical magic stuff in the smelly bits of coconut oil, in fact it is the smelly bits that will cause cold pressed oil to go off faster than refined. The benefits of coconut oil are in the oil itself, not the taste or smell. the chemicals used to bleach and deodorize it do not remain in the oil. It's not like they are used as preservatives like salt or nitrates in bacon where they remain as part of the food. The benefits of CO come primarily because of the types of triglyceride that the oil is made of.

Of course cold pressed is a great option cause its least processed, but not all foods are better least processed. Look at the lycopene in tomato. Cold pressed is fine for those who want the taste and smell and expeller pressed/refined is fine for those who don't. the benefits don't change much if at all since there are not a lot of other vitamins minerals, etc to begin with.
Heating it doesn't harm the oil, it's fully saturated and will not go rancid or transmogrify. You can burn it, yeah, but you can burn any oil high enough and it's unhealthy burned, and no one is eating burned oil.

So if you like using refined, keep using it. It's an option and options are good.
i don't like coconut flavored in everything either.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #72

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Interesting thread. As to the subject of lard, if you can find a locker plant where they butcher for folks, you can often buy lard from them that isn't partially hydrogenated.

We always used to use lard. I still do. Grandma always said you couldn't make a really good and truly flaky pie crust unless you used lard. After tasting pie crusts that grandma made, anybody else's that were just made with Crisco vegetable shortening were a sad and lackluster disappointment!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #73
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I really appreciate everyone's input and own experiences. Enjoy learning and reading about the benefits as well as the downside to Coconut Oils.

I haven't been eating EVCO daily, but I have been cooking in it. I really wish that I didn't like it as much as I do! I plan to have my blood test next month as well as some other tests. I am hoping to receive a good report, but then I wonder what if I don't? Lots to ponder.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote