Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 06:38 AM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Whitling, I see you are involved in Eldercare and I think that is wonderful! What a rewarding career!
My sister in law has a home business that takes care of alzheimer's and provides hospice services. She is one amazing person and is loved by all of her patients.

I was quite surprised at all of the links to EVCO and help for alzheimers and dementia. It does make me want to read his book now.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March, 2009
Sunday, it's not exactly a supplement, but my friend brought hers down by eating beans every day. She found info on the net about studies on beans and cholesterol and how much you can expect it to lower. I believe lima beans were shown to be good? Pintos are good. She eats a half-cup a day I think.

Btw, here's an article that came out today about what will raise HDL.

As for me, no, not a career decision, a family need. "Sandwich" meaning I'm primary caregiver for elderly parents in rapidly declining health who have had to move in with us, even though my youngest daughter is still preteen. (Older children also need me. They just don't think so! ) My husband helps a lot when he's home.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I have not read this entire thread, but wanted to add my $0.02. I have been using coconut oil since I found out about it in 2001. I started it when my DD was born and I was trying to recover from a c-section (my 3rd but not last one!). Anyhow, I have had my cholesterol checked and mine is low. It has been low for as long as I have been having it checked. My numbers are all good--in fact my triglycerides were so low the lab double checked them to be sure they were correct!

So this will be an individual thing. I have not been effected by using it. I take anywhere from 6 TBL to none per day. I was really good at one point taking 3 TBL daily, but fell out of the habit when I started my hcg journey. The hcg plan does not allow for oils, and when I can have oils I keep forgetting to add it back in LOL.

I love coconut oil!!!!!
Old 06-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Health benefits...

COCONUT OIL: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD

How to lower high cholesterol naturally without prescription drugs

Article 40: Coconut Oil by James South

Virgin Coconut Oil Halts Severe Dementia in 35 Days

Negative regarding EVCO & cholesterol...

Health Benefits Vs. Warnings of Coconut Oil | eHow.com

7 Causes of High Cholesterol - MSN Health & Fitness - Cholesterol

Coconut Oil and Heart Disease / Nutrition / Healthy Eating

Coconut Oil

The American Heart Association recommends limiting the amount of saturated fats you eat to less than 7 percent of total daily calories. That means, for example, if you need about 2,000 calories a day, no more than 140 of them should come from saturated fats. That’s about 16 grams of saturated fats a day.

Saturated Fats

I will definitely slow down AND limit how much EVCO I ingest daily from now on.
Unfortunately, many of these sources are from the same folks who think high-carb, low fat is best for everyone. Gary Taubes has a good overview.

If you don't like coconut oil, great--don't eat it. But if you like it, I don't think there's much evidence that supports the argument that people need to avoid it or limit it.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: angelasherell
Stats: 165/145/135
WOE: VLC/ZC
Start Date: 08/01/08
LDL is a calculation and recently those that went on to actual have their LDL tested found the calculation off. Then there is the issue of dense or fluffly. I use CO about a tablespoon daily. My HDL was 112 LDL 98 and Tri 47.
angelasherell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:46 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
Unfortunately, many of these sources are from the same folks who think high-carb, low fat is best for everyone. Gary Taubes has a good overview.

If you don't like coconut oil, great--don't eat it. But if you like it, I don't think there's much evidence that supports the argument that people need to avoid it or limit it.
Oh I love it! I will just make sure that I don't go over the 3 tbsp per day rule and I will keep a few healthy foods that lower cholesterol in my diet, beans, oat bran, flax. etc.

I guess I was trying to find the negative scientific research about EVCO raising cholesterol and it is difficult to find.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:41 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Oh I love it! I will just make sure that I don't go over the 3 tbsp per day rule and I will keep a few healthy foods that lower cholesterol in my diet, beans, oat bran, flax. etc.

I guess I was trying to find the negative scientific research about EVCO raising cholesterol and it is difficult to find.
Thanks for searching out research! It's always appreciated.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:50 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

One of the reasons that I was a bit caught off guard with the news that EVCO could raise cholesterol is that I have been encouraging both of my kids to incorporate EVCO in their diet. My children's father has heart disease in his family and especially high triglycerides. Neither of my children are overweight, my daughter may have 20 lbs of baby weight, but she is really not in bad health. DS is very fit and underweight. I just know that they will always have to be on the lookout for raised cholesterol and specially triglycerides because of their father. Because of this, I do want to be able to advise them correctly on adding EVCO.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 06-16-2012, 05:59 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tiva, I have all of Gary Taubes books and really admire his work. I also read the Coconut Miracle by Bruce Fife and have been a huge fan of EVCO. And one thing for certain, I am not anti-fat! I adore healthy, good fat!

Whitlin' ~ Thanks for the info about beans. I am not a fan of lima beans, but do love black beans, pinto and black eye peas. I will have to research if any of these are good for cholesterol.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:16 AM   #40

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I've taught myself to believe that cholesterol is NOT bad, good or bad titles given to them, it's not the cholesterol itself that is bad for you. It's the fact that cholesterol is used to patch up damage done to the arteries that is gives it a bad rap.

People in other countries have higher cholesterol than the US, but have low incidents of heart disease because they don't have the damage that requires being fixed with cholesterol/protein spackle.

I'd be more afraid of the things that will harden or damage my arteries and create free radicals and acidification and glycolysation and all of that other stuff. Cholesterol doesn't just go around sticking to healthy arteries.

Plus, the type of LDL cholesterol DOES matter, if you don't believe that high cholesterol is automatically bad no matter what.

My tryglicerides were SO low that all of my numbers were off when I had a panel done. I'd rather have low tryglicerides and high fluffy LDL, and try to keep the damage in my body to a minumum so I don't have to use any of the LDL for repair. When I'm old and falling apart, I will be grateful for the cholesterol patching me up and keeping me from leaking all over the place.LOL
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:50 AM   #41
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I too don't worry too much about cholesterol. I have had very high total numbers all of my life regardless of the diet I followed. BUT my ratio is always very good so I just keep trucking along. I think the hype about cholesterol is so the pharm companies can sell drugs.
Now that is just my view and you can believe the opposite because that is our right.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:30 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I've taught myself to believe that cholesterol is NOT bad, good or bad titles given to them, it's not the cholesterol itself that is bad for you. It's the fact that cholesterol is used to patch up damage done to the arteries that is gives it a bad rap.

People in other countries have higher cholesterol than the US, but have low incidents of heart disease because they don't have the damage that requires being fixed with cholesterol/protein spackle.

I'd be more afraid of the things that will harden or damage my arteries and create free radicals and acidification and glycolysation and all of that other stuff. Cholesterol doesn't just go around sticking to healthy arteries.

Really, really good point! If I understand correctly--It's inflammation that causes fissures in the artery walls, which require "patching" with cholesterol...cholesterol itself, in the bloodstream, is not "bad" unless it finds something to stick to!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amlyjo
Stats: 332/310/175
WOE: LC-HF-MP
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
One of the reasons that I was a bit caught off guard with the news that EVCO could raise cholesterol is that I have been encouraging both of my kids to incorporate EVCO in their diet. My children's father has heart disease in his family and especially high triglycerides. Neither of my children are overweight, my daughter may have 20 lbs of baby weight, but she is really not in bad health. DS is very fit and underweight. I just know that they will always have to be on the lookout for raised cholesterol and specially triglycerides because of their father. Because of this, I do want to be able to advise them correctly on adding EVCO.
Sunday and others, how do you eat the CO? Maybe it's the brand I bought, but it seems quite strong in coconut flavor. I can't possibly imagine cooking something savory like scrambled eggs with it! For a while I tried blending it in with my green smoothies, but it clumps. I didn't mind and ingnored it, but my kids and dh didn't like that at all.

My dh has triglycerides over 660 and is currently on Lipitor. I want him off that stuff. He also has blood sugar issues and I really think a good ol' Atkins diet would heal him of his sugar cravings and dependance. But he's an old dog and is listening more to his doc than me. I keep trying since he has to eat what I put in front of him.

My dd is 12 and not overweight, but maybe 10 lbs. It's that preteen pudge I think. Or my genes. She struggles with executive function/working memory and so I have read a lot about CO helping with that. My son was a preemie and simply needs the calories from good fats. But how do I get it in to them???? They won't just eat a spoon of it. They both like the flavor but I'm not sure they'd a lot of foods coconut flavored. I love to hide good stuff like spinach in smoothies (my son has not voluntarily eaten a vegetable in his whole 8 years of life). Any ideas? Yes, I've used it in baking but I am trying to limit baked treats. Should I look up coconut bark? Is that like a candy type of thing? They'd eat that!
amlyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlyjo View Post
Sunday and others, how do you eat the CO? Maybe it's the brand I bought, but it seems quite strong in coconut flavor. I can't possibly imagine cooking something savory like scrambled eggs with it! For a while I tried blending it in with my green smoothies, but it clumps. I didn't mind and ingnored it, but my kids and dh didn't like that at all.

My dh has triglycerides over 660 and is currently on Lipitor. I want him off that stuff. He also has blood sugar issues and I really think a good ol' Atkins diet would heal him of his sugar cravings and dependance. But he's an old dog and is listening more to his doc than me. I keep trying since he has to eat what I put in front of him.

My dd is 12 and not overweight, but maybe 10 lbs. It's that preteen pudge I think. Or my genes. She struggles with executive function/working memory and so I have read a lot about CO helping with that. My son was a preemie and simply needs the calories from good fats. But how do I get it in to them???? They won't just eat a spoon of it. They both like the flavor but I'm not sure they'd a lot of foods coconut flavored. I love to hide good stuff like spinach in smoothies (my son has not voluntarily eaten a vegetable in his whole 8 years of life). Any ideas? Yes, I've used it in baking but I am trying to limit baked treats. Should I look up coconut bark? Is that like a candy type of thing? They'd eat that!
Hi Amlyjo! I love cocoa bark! Here is a great thread with some yummy recipes for cocoa bark. The next time you make coconut oil candy, try this:)
Ya know, I remember using EVCO in my smoothies a while back and it didn't clump too bad, but it does make them very rich and filling. I cook eggs in EVCO, when I am not frying bacon, bacon is my usual egg frying oil. I cook most meats and grilled veggies with either EVCO or EVOO.

One of the links that I ran across while studying EVCO had amazing research that links EVCO with assisting children with ADD and focus issues. I am sure that you have read the research that has been done with Alzheimers and Dementia. That alone is enough to make me understand that it is a beneficial nutrient.

I know of others who have no desire for veggies, my bff will not eat veggies and she blames her upbringing because she was never encouraged to eat them, and says that she has a rough time with weight loss now.

I will look for ideas on the best way to encourage children to eat more veggies. My daughter has a 17 month and 4 year old and they both are crazy about some veggies, but still refuse to eat others. She has no problem feeding them brocolli, green beans, avocado, tomatoes, carrots and sweet potatoes. She struggles with introducing spinach to both and recently introducing black beans and sweet peas. I know that she started both very young.

Hope that we can find others on here that have small children with some great ideas on eating veggies.

Last edited by sunday; 06-16-2012 at 10:28 AM..
Old 06-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #45

Quote:

OK. My experience with coconut oil. My entire family HATES coconut and anything related to coconut. I found this oil back in 2001 and enjoy it. I do NOT like it IN anything. I think that the virgin coconut oil does flavor food and I am NOT fond of that. Neither is my family. I have tried it in hot tea (I like that but don't drink tea every day); Smoothies (NOT a fan of cold oil chunks ); eggs (coconutty eggs---ick!); chocolate bark (again not a fan.). I have tried every which way and just take the darn stuff with a spoon! But for the family I have purchased expeller pressed, that means the flavor of the coconut is taken out. I use that for all my baking and cooking. I fry my eggs and meat with it. I add it to tomato sauce, anything you can because it tastes like nothing. When the kids get sick I make them chicken soup and add coconut oil to that. Coconut oil is really best in hot things as it just melts in and you cannot tell it is there. The smoothies---yuck, just too cold to enjoy those. Well, you probably can see it but you cannot taste it. I buy my coconut oil, both the virgin and expeller pressed from Tropical Traditions. But you can experiment with Louana from the grocery to see if you would like the expeller pressed. They sell it in my walmart right in the cooking oils section. I highly recommend the expeller pressed coconut oil.

Ooooh, another way to get coconut oil IN your children is to put it ON your children!! If you read Tropical Traditions FAQs (just click on the oils tab and the FAQs will be an option to read) they give you the difference between the different types of coconut oil. And they have suggestions for using it as well. They do say that if you cannot tolerate swallowing the oil (some people get an itchy throat), put it on your skin so that it is absorbed by your body that way. I eat 3 TBL by the spoon per day (or at least shoot for that, lately I have been slacking) and the rest 1/2 TBL I slather on my body. I love it!!!

Last edited by dawnyama; 06-16-2012 at 12:58 PM..
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
TIVA, thanks very much for that information!

I found I was perhaps sensitive to the salicylates and so only use it very occasionally, in tiny amounts.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:

Coconut oil:
I agree that virgin coconut oil can have a strong flavor--but there is less flavorful oil, as was mentioned!

If there's not a problem with carbs, use up the oil you have as a butter substitute (or mix 50/50 with butter)--it's GREAT on toast & popcorn, as well as rice!!!

And perhaps your family would find other coconut products more palatable? Coconut milk can easily be added to curries, soups, and rice; or use it to make puddings, custards, flan, tembleque...coconut cream can be whipped! Some whipped coconut cream in a cup of coffee or cocoa would probably be more appetizing than an oil slick!

Coconut butter aka coconut manna is very yummy! Could also be mixed into peanut butter or almond butter.
And how about just snacking on coconut? You can get it dried, fresh, frozen...

For your son who needs more calories, check out this thread:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...fat-bombs.html
My experiments are in post #43

Triglycerides:

IIRC, Omega-3s are supposed to help with that. My doc rx'd Lovaza for me, but it gave me stomach cramps and didn't help much. I've been trying to eat herring and/or chia seeds every day.

Also, diatomaceous earth is supposed to be helpful. I started a thread about it a while ago...
Silica supplementation (diatomaceous earth)

...and here is a random testimonial I found:
"Six years ago I was given Statin drugs for high cholesterol, I had a severe reaction to them that has taken years to get over, I have battled the cholesterol since. This January it was once again very high, total cholesterol was 324, triglycerides 616. I decided to give the Diatomaceous Earth a try. I just had my levels checked again this week and after only 10 weeks my total cholesterol had dropped 91 points to 233 and my triglycerides dropped 370 points to 246. I am thrilled! I finally have hope of getting this under control without prescription drugs."
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 06-16-2012 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: spelling
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
i have been taking the CO for about 5 years, and my hdl is 113 and trigs are 47, i usually have between 2 and 3 T a day, love it in my tea and i use it as a moisturizer-----
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

PJ, I have been meaning to study DE/Silica. THANK you for bringing this back up!
Old 06-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny7 View Post
i have been taking the CO for about 5 years, and my hdl is 113 and trigs are 47, i usually have between 2 and 3 T a day, love it in my tea and i use it as a moisturizer-----
Sunny7 I am guessing you eat LC or similar? It is nice to hear of others who have had good benefits! I have just started using it on my face, I was a bit worried that it would be too heavy. It certainly is much less costly than my other facial mosturizers. I will report back with my experience.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, I found a few more articles about the benefits of EVCO as related to children. The one that I think is the most interesting is about childhood pneumonia and that research found that children recovered faster with EVCO than with antibiotics alone. Wow, I learn something new ever day!

Coconut Oil: A Natural Remedy for Pneumonia

Coconut Oil May Help Fight Childhood Pneumonia - US News and World Report

This ladies story is almost unbelievable! I am thrilled for her and her son.
Autism and Virgin Coconut Oil | Facebook

This woman believes that Coconut Oil makes vegetables more palatable to children.

Healthy fats to feed your kids - On Parenting - The Washington Post
Old 06-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #52

sunday

The problem I have had is that the coconut oil (virgin stuff) is so hard to give to children---well at least mine!! They hate the taste of it. Won't even touch it if they know that coconut oil is in something. So I have to "hide it" using expeller pressed, the kind that has no taste. That way they don't even realize they are getting something good for them! I have replaced regular old canola oil in my kitchen with the expeller pressed and we use that in everything!

I also love it all over my body--it is a great moisturizer. Have been using it for years. It is all I use when I am out in the sun. I like it before I go out and as an after sun moisturizer. I use it on my kids when they go in the sun as well.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitlin' View Post
Thank you for all that work, Sunday! You have been busy.

Just thought it might be interesting to mention that since the publication of that web article you cited on dementia, Dr. Newport has published a book, "Alzheimer's Disease: What If There Was a Cure?"
Whitlin~
Thank you for mentioning alzheimers research. I found her book and this link to her studies. It is phenomenal, very lengthy reading, but if anyone is dealing with alzheimers this would be very helpful...

http://coconutoil.com/AlzheimersDise...aryNewport.pdf
Old 06-17-2012, 07:20 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

My husband has ADD, and 2 T of coconut oil each day has helped him enormously. (Getting rid of 95% of the gluten in his diet has helped a lot too.)

We use coconut oil to saute all our veggies (the coconut taste vanishes, even though we use Nutiva); add coconut milk to coffee and smoothies; use coconut oil or milk in most of our baked goods; and use it in treats, frostings, icings, coconut bark. I also make a lot of Thai curries with coconut milk and various spice pastes found at the Asian grocery.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dawnyama, I am sorry, but have not found any EVCO which is cold pressed that tasted like yours? Ours doesn't have a bad taste at all! If you have a minute, go to Amazon or even here at Netrition and read all of the reviews, because I think you are confusing cold pressed with oils that have been heated and processed such as LouAna. Cold-processed means under 104 degree's, pressed within two hours of chopping, and unrefined and unfermented! Now that is fresh! I have used Nutiva and Spectrum forever and neither taste like you are saying? Believe me, I am sort of picky, and I could never have eaten it in shakes and deserts, or candies if it was that bad! Or had the odor you describe??? My family loves all of the veggies, eggs and meats cooked in EVCO as well. I also have enjoyed it in my morning coffee . I have even oil pulled with it and eaten right off the spoon!

Dotty has a thread about the different candies that she makes with it and haven't heard anyone else have a problem with these brands. I am sorry that you had that experience.

Last edited by sunday; 06-17-2012 at 07:53 AM..
Old 06-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
My husband has ADD, and 2 T of coconut oil each day has helped him enormously. (Getting rid of 95% of the gluten in his diet has helped a lot too.)

We use coconut oil to saute all our veggies (the coconut taste vanishes, even though we use Nutiva); add coconut milk to coffee and smoothies; use coconut oil or milk in most of our baked goods; and use it in treats, frostings, icings, coconut bark. I also make a lot of Thai curries with coconut milk and various spice pastes found at the Asian grocery.
Tiva,
My DH has ADD as well! This is great to know! He didn't know for certain what he was struggling with and recently was diagnosed. He retired last year from 35 years as an O & G Accountant, and said that he struggled all of his life with issues and did not realize that he was ADD. I am ADD as well, but nothing like he is. Mine is more focus/distraction issues, so I am definitely looking forward to this benefit as well.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:51 AM   #57
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I mix CO into my first cup of coffee in the morning. I usually take it black, but I add cream or something to the CO cup. Maybe make hot chocolate for the kids and add it there.

I have added it to smoothies and it didn't clump. I melt it and pour it in to the blender while it is running after everything elses is in there and blended (on low, you have to take the lid off).
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #58

Quote:
Dawnyama, I am sorry, but have not found any EVCO which is cold pressed that tasted like yours? Ours doesn't have a bad taste at all! If you have a minute, go to Amazon or even here at Netrition and read all of the reviews, because I think you are confusing cold pressed with oils that have been heated and processed such as LouAna. Cold-processed means under 104 degree's, pressed within two hours of chopping, and unrefined and unfermented! Now that is fresh! I have used Nutiva and Spectrum forever and neither taste like you are saying? Believe me, I am sort of picky, and I could never have eaten it in shakes and deserts, or candies if it was that bad! Or had the odor you describe??? My family loves all of the veggies, eggs and meats cooked in EVCO as well. I also have enjoyed it in my morning coffee . I have even oil pulled with it and eaten right off the spoon!

Dotty has a thread about the different candies that she makes with it and haven't heard anyone else have a problem with these brands. I am sorry that you had that experience.
I am talking about expeller pressed. I never mentioned anything about cold pressed. The expeller pressed is one that has the flavor of coconuts removed. What I am saying is that my kids hate coconuts!! Not everyone wants coconut everything.

My virgin does taste like coconut and I am fine with that. But not in my eggs or coffee. I just don't like that taste in my foods that I don't associate with coconuts. Coconutty eggs just do NOT appeal to me. I use tropical traditions and am just fine in what I buy. I have had Nutiva because everyone on here has been raving about it. Tastes just like my TT virgin coconut oil! My coconut oil has no rancid odor. It is just fine because it lasts forever!!! I have been using coconut oil forever---11 years in fact!!!

I was responding to a question that was "how to get coconut oil in my kids" and this is how I do it--with expeller pressed because the kids don't detect the taste of coconuts. To each his own

Last edited by dawnyama; 06-17-2012 at 08:56 AM..
Old 06-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #59
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I use the refined for cooking and the EVCO for eating. In my opinion they both have a place in my life. I really wasn't too excited about coconut flavored scrambled eggs either. Now in coconut bark it is fine to taste like coconut. Love that.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay, I guess we are talking about the same EVCO! I must have different tastebuds! Because IMHO, eggs taste fine, there is a slightly different taste but they love it. Children have different taste buds as well, my grands are not as picky as their parents were when they were children.

So, I did a search on Expeller Pressed and Cold Pressed and this explains what you are talking about...

Some oils are not cold pressed/expeller pressed and they use heat/hexane to remove the oil and it completely changes the taste. I don't know for sure which coconut oil uses the hexane method, but I agree that would not be a good oil to purchase and would definitely have a different taste. So it stands to reason that you would be losing the wonderful health benefits if you chose an oil that has used heat/chemicals to extract the oil from the nut. I think that by choosing only expeller pressed oils you will more likely be using oils that are more natural, more traditional, and better for your health.

What is Expeller Pressed Oil and Why Does it Matter? |

As you can see, the expeller pressing does not remove the flavor of the coconut. It is the heat or chemical that removes the flavor.

Last edited by sunday; 06-17-2012 at 10:01 AM..