Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Stitchfluffy
Stats: (170/165/135) PCOS-Fibromyalgia
WOE: JUDDD/LC
Start Date: Jan. 3 2012
Diet Soda: What's your opinion?

I've been doing JUDDD for a bit over a month, and I've lost about 6 lbs. Not quite as fast as I'd like, but I'll take it. My intake of diet soda has been very hight during this time, and I'm wondering, could this be hindering my loss? What's your opinion on diet soda getting in the way of weight loss?
Stitchfluffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Stitchfluffy
Stats: (170/165/135) PCOS-Fibromyalgia
WOE: JUDDD/LC
Start Date: Jan. 3 2012
Birth Control and Weight Loss?

I've been on JUDDD for about a month and have lost 6 lbs. Not the fastest, I know. I'm on BC pills for PCOS, and I was wondering, could this be getting in the way of weight loss? What's your opinion?
Stitchfluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I am totally anti- artificial sweeteners. Even the mainstream diet-guru types have all gone to saying they make you gain weight, are bad for you, etc.
My personal opinion is to avoid the "sweet" taste as much as possible, and when you need it go for a more natural solution that works for YOU like stevia, organic erythritol, raw local honey, or whatever works with your body.

I have PCOS with extreme insulin resistance. BC made it worse, metformin made it worse. Cutting sugars helped me feel better. It all affects weight, hormones are the killer in the mix.

Last edited by b_lou_who; 06-11-2012 at 02:30 PM..
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Well i am one who dont think it can really hurt UNLESS.. you dont drink water in addition.. most folks will get there fill from things like pop and cant drink the water needed to flush the system.. So if you must drink diet pop.. thats fine.. every thing in moderation.. but make sure that you drink at least your full water intake as well and they tell me, for each cup of coffee i drink i need to drink my full days water plus one additonal cup of water for each cup of coffee i take in.. So the real question for you is.. how much water are you really drinking?? ( just my oppinion)
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
They make me hungry so that will hinder weight loss.
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I drank a LOT of Diet Coke when I started and lost an average of a pound per week. I quit Diet Coke and most AS last month and now that I think about it my weightloss has essentially quit. Maybe I should pick up some Diet Coke on the way home. I have a little Diet Caffeine free Root beer sometimes on DD's but I used to drink Diet Coke all day.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
The truth is that each of us is different and what causes slow weight loss in on will have no effect on another. There are many who avoid all soda and artificial sweeteners, and as many others who have no issues with them

The BC is much the same.

What I think perhaps you need to hear is that I think a 6 pound loss in a month is wonderful. This is not a race and we all lose at different rates. You are only dieting 1/2 the time remember. Rejoice in the weight loss you are enjoying.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
The truth is that each of us is different and what causes slow weight loss in on will have no effect on another. There are many who avoid all soda and artificial sweeteners, and as many others who have no issues with them

The BC is much the same.

What I think perhaps you need to hear is that I think a 6 pound loss in a month is wonderful. This is not a race and we all lose at different rates. You are only dieting 1/2 the time remember. Rejoice in the weight loss you are enjoying.
Jbinme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I found that AS as well as stevia cause me to crave sweets. I quit sugar a few years ago and tried to add a few sugary treats when I first began JUDDD and noticed that I began obsessing over sweets which in turn felt like I may be slipping down a slippery slope. Another strange thing, and it may be because I have been sugarfree for so long, but when I eat anything with sugar in it now, my face breaks out! This is bizarre since I am 54! I just take it as a sign...LOL! Sometimes it shows up right at the end of my nose.

I drink a lot of water! At least 120 oz daily avg. So, I rarely have opportunity for a coffee/green tea/ or any other cold drink due to my water obsession.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 06-11-2012 at 03:42 PM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Artificial sweeteners make me hungry and cause me to crave sweets as well, so I avoid them. Stevia works well for me though.

Def a ymmv (your mileage may vary) thing. One great thing about JUDDD is how much we can learn about how different foods affect our bodies.

And 6 pounds is fantastic progress! KUTGW.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/192/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
Its really so difficult to say... I was doing 100% adkins and was not losing weight. I finally reduced my food down to nothing but eggs and mio etc flavored drinks. Lost very little. Gave up the AS and immediately dropped 3 lbs but then nothing. So I moved to JUDD have been living it up with the AS since its my "go to" on down days and have been losing quite nicely. Does this make any sense? No. I guess you'll just have to weigh how important it is for you. I'm a sugar addict and it keeps me sane and feeling undeprived when I'm not eating a lot of other things and does not increase cravings in ME so I see not point in giving it up unless I have too. If later I find it might be stalling my weight I will quit. If you are still losing weight and like it in your life, keep it, otherwise ditch it.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
The only time I am at all disappointed in water at meals is when I have a heavy food, like Italian food or cheeseburger. They are rare but I don't want them out of my life! I try to avoid diet drinks because I've researched them and don't like what i read. However, I also find sugared sodas way too sweet sometimes, now that I am used to avoiding sugared foods.

So when I have a heavy food like those (with which, in the past, I probably had a sweetened cola) a small diet cola like the Coke Zero smalls, for instance, does seem more like a treat to me than trying to have just water. If I take a bite of the food first, the different aftertaste isn't noticeable. This may happen no more than once a week to make me perfectly content, but I still realize it isn't best.

A tasty stevia-sweetened cola can't get here fast enough for me.

Btw, any soda or near-soda is probably best with the last meal of the day so it doesn't cause the day-long sweets cravings.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I tried Zevia which is stevia sweetened soda and truly wish that this company would try to make a Mountain Dew or Dr. Pepper with stevia, then I may actually give it another try. The thing is.... Pizza just plain out ...matter of fact does not taste good with water or tea.

Same thing with popcorn & movies. Just sayin'.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #14

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I don't drink it a lot, maybe a couple of times per week, but I haven't noticed cravings or stalling from it. I don't have a sweet tooth though--I tend to crave salty snacks more than sugary snacks.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimberino
Stats: 235/141 50 yo
WOE: Atkins/now JUDDD
Start Date: 3 '09 Atkins-3 '12 JUDDD
I don't crave sweets either. And I don't drink coffee. So my caffeine of choice is my hero, Diet Coke. I probably drink about 2-3 12 oz cans a day and don't have any problems. I start my day with a DC, drink water with all my meals and follow with DC for "dessert".
kimberino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:03 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 178/178/140...48 years old
Start Date: Start date: 11/17/2014
I am a big Diet Pepsi drinker, I was up to almost 2 liters per day before I quit on Jan. 1 of this year, I was soda free for 3 months then started adding it back in again (DUMB!!!). I am now drinking more soda than water and I know that has to stop!! There is IMO no reason to drink soda of any type every day, there is no nutritional value at all in sodas. Drinking it in moderation once or twice a week would do no harm but every day is too much. Now I just have to quit!

Exercise 4x per week.
Drink more water (80+ oz per day)
~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #17

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
I drink Coke Zero daily. I typically have the equivalent of 2 cans. Sometimes more , sometimes less. My DH does the same. In 7 weeks I am down 11.6 and DH is down 24.8. I can't imagine it is hindering our weight loss at all but that is us.
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:41 AM   #18

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
I should add, I also drink 1 gallon of water daily.
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
Diet Dr Pepper (Cherry if i can find it) or Diet Coke is my drug of choice. I also drink a lot of water. I am a slow loser. I would be heart broken to find out it is the diet soda that is slowing me down but maybe I should try without it for a week. ugh.
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
It is truly going to depend on your metabolism. I encourage you to experiment within your calorie counts freely and frequently.

I agree with Cindy though, six pounds in your first month is not bad at all. Depending on how quickly you (your metabolism) accumulates sirtuin enzymes, you may be about to see a change. It took me a month of losing about a pound a week (slower than you) before the enzymes kicked in and the magic really started.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nickicaps
WOE: Raw Vegan
In my very humble opinion I know that we are all different with unique metabolisms and set points but I believe there are still certain "universal truths" and one of them is that diet soda is not our friend. The chemicals that can rust a copper penny and leach calcium from our bones within hours is one thing, but also artificial sweetener has been proven to do all sorts of weird things like increase sweet cravings, mess with insulin, etc.

I know that we can find evidence either way to support both sides but for me the simplest answer is probably the right one and logically I really feel that anything so chemical in makeup doesn't get recognized properly by our body. I think only good can come out of ditching diet sodas.

That's just my $.02 on the matter
Old 06-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I tried Zevia which is stevia sweetened soda and truly wish that this company would try to make a Mountain Dew or Dr. Pepper with stevia, then I may actually give it another try. The thing is.... Pizza just plain out ...matter of fact does not taste good with water or tea.

Zevia does make a Dr. Pepper flavor--Dr. Zevia. I bought a six-pack at the hfs yesterday, but didn't realize it had caffeine in it, which I can't have. But I did taste it and it was pretty good. My DD likes the ginger rootbeer flavor, and I like the caffeine free cola.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I love carbonated drinks, on DDs especially...I find them so much more filling than plain water, coffee, tea, etc.

I just got a very cool contraption called "My Pop Soda Shoppe" which makes carbonation with sugar & yeast!!!
No cartridge refills like with most soda makers.

I am so happy because I hate buying plastic bottles.
Also, we have a well and our water is wonderful, so I hate buying drinks anywhere...I am very anti-flouride...who knows what is in the water used to make soda!!! Or coffee at a gas station!!!

I am making drinks everyday out of lemonade, tea, Kool-Aid, etc, and although I sometimes use Splenda I also use stevia & erythritol.
Need to buy some fresh ginger and make ginger ale!!! So excited!!!

Anyway, I feel totally guilt-free about drinking homemade soda.

I read that our relish for carbonated drinks comes from an "instinct" to eat fermented foods, which are high in friendly bacteria and so good for our health.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 06-12-2012 at 01:10 PM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Your body cannot tell any difference between table sugar and honey because there is no difference as your body breaks it down. I don't know how anyone can drink diet coke, to me it tastes so awful. My DH loves it. I love real coke but rarely let myself drink my calories. I always keep a gallon of brewed paradise iced tea in the fridge.I think it's ok to drink diet cola in moderation if it helps get you through. It is possible to drink too much water and mess up your electrolytes. All things in moderation.

Last edited by Muffabuff; 06-12-2012 at 01:58 PM..
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 178/178/140...48 years old
Start Date: Start date: 11/17/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
I love carbonated drinks, on DDs especially...I find them so much more filling than plain water, coffee, tea, etc.

I just got a very cool contraption called "My Pop Soda Shoppe" which makes carbonation with sugar & yeast!!!
No cartridge refills like with most soda makers.

I am so happy because I hate buying plastic bottles.
Also, we have a well and our water is wonderful, so I hate buying drinks anywhere...I am very anti-flouride...who knows what is in the water used to make soda!!! Or coffee at a gas station!!!

I am making drinks everyday out of lemonade, tea, Kool-Aid, etc, and although I sometimes use Splenda I also use stevia & erythritol.
Need to buy some fresh ginger and make ginger ale!!! So excited!!!

Anyway, I feel totally guilt-free about drinking homemade soda.

I read that our relish for carbonated drinks comes from an "instinct" to eat fermented foods, which are high in friendly bacteria and so good for our health.
I'm with you on the flouride! 2 of my kids have stained teeth from it!
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #26

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Hello Stirchfluffy???? You still there?
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tag425
Stats: 160/127/120
WOE: JUDDD since 5/12
Start Date: Hcg 4/12. JUDD 5/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickicaps View Post
In my very humble opinion I know that we are all different with unique metabolisms and set points but I believe there are still certain "universal truths" and one of them is that diet soda is not our friend. The chemicals that can rust a copper penny and leach calcium from our bones within hours is one thing, but also artificial sweetener has been proven to do all sorts of weird things like increase sweet cravings, mess with insulin, etc.

I know that we can find evidence either way to support both sides but for me the simplest answer is probably the right one and logically I really feel that anything so chemical in makeup doesn't get recognized properly by our body. I think only good can come out of ditching diet sodas.

That's just my $.02 on the matter
I agree 100%
Tag425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post

they make both of those. Haven't tried Mountain Zevia. I use the Dr Zevia in my crockpot sweet pork (knockoff recipe from a famous chain). I don't really love fizzy drinks so I can't really tell you how they compare to the originals. Hubby likes the ginger root beer with ginger infused vodka in it on a hot day.

Last edited by b_lou_who; 06-13-2012 at 08:58 AM..
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
I quit Diet Coke the first of the year. For the first time in my adult life I no longer have cravings for chocolate and sugar. Those cravings stopped within a couple days to a week after quitting.

Between January and the end of March I took my new lack of cravings and resumed a low calorie, lowish carb diet. I lost 14.8 pounds in three months. The losses were only barely over a pound a week. Then I found JUDDD and have lost just over 30 more pounds since April 1st.

None of that would have been possible for me if I was still drinking Diet Coke. I don't know why exactly, other people's mileage may vary, but for me it has been case. I didn't believe it for years, and continued to drink it and try to lose weight, and sometimes I did, but I always fought the intense cravings for sugar and chocolate and increased appetite until finally overcoming my total addiction to Diet Coke.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
When I wasn't following any plan at all and ate/drank whatever I wanted, I very seldom drank any kind of pop. I've never been a big pop drinker (even the regular kind).

When I was following strict low carb I would find myself gravitating to a diet pop as a substitute for any sweet craving I had (and couldn't "legally" satisfy). Instead of being able to enjoy a piece of pie or whatever it was that was sweet and sounded really good, I'd have a diet pop instead.

The longer I was strictly low carb (and overall I was very good about not cheating), the more I used diet pop as a crutch to substitute for what I really wanted. After a while, I was drinking quite a bit of diet pop while low carbing. I don't know if it stalled me or not. I know my weight loss with JUDDD has been by orders of magnitude LOTS faster than it ever was with low carb. (-40 pounds in 22 weeks with low carb v. -36 pounds in 11 weeks with JUDDD)

I haven't had any diet pop since the start of my JUDDD journey. Not really intentional at all, just don't feel the need for it. If I have a craving for something sweet I know I can have the exact, genuine thing I want and don't have to settle for diet pop as a substitute - I *can have it - if not today, then tomorrow. Once I satisfy my craving, I'm satisfied for quite a while. Part of it is a head game thing, part of it is biological, I'm sure.
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote