Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mitsa
Stats: start 118/ goal 100
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 05/26/12
Eat Stop Eat

Hi all, i was researching something before and came across this Eat Stop Eat woe.
Has anyone here done it and how much diffeent is it to Juddd?
Mitsa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2012, 04:35 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
There are lots of intermittent fasting / cycling very low calorie plans out there. Whether they know/acknowledge it or not, each of them works because any extended period of caloric deprivation is going to invoke caloric stress response and the sirtuin enzymes are going to flow.

So, we have JUDDD, and Eat-Stop-Eat, and Fast-5, and a plethora of other choices...all fundamentally working the same way.

I think JUDDD is kinder than some plans because, although it is not much, you can eat on DD.

BUT, every individual metabolism works differently. So, if JUDDD is not working for someone AND that person can fast/live on less than about 100 cals for an extended period, then it would probably be a good idea for that person to try some of the other plans. A different pattern of caloric stress response might be just what that person needs.

And, although JUDDD seems to work best for me , I have been known to fall over to Fast-5 on vacation or in times of stress. Just to ensure those enzymes are not washing away.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 06-08-2012 at 04:37 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:40 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
With Eat Stop Eat, IIRC, you fast for 24 hours, 2x per week.
So let's say you have dinner tonight at 6...you wouldn't eat again until 6 tomorrow.
Then you would do that again some other time this week.

It doesn't count calories or have Up Days or Down Days. You just do the 24-hour fasts.

Depending on what/when you eat, I suppose there would be some days where you might only have one meal, and you could adhere to JUDDD "Down Day" calories if you wanted to. But then you'd only get 2 DDs per week.

I often combine Fast 5 + JUDDD...fast until 2pm on UDs, eat late lunch + dinner or snack. On DDs I fast until 6 or 7pm and only eat one meal.

My son's grandpa has been doing something like ESE for a couple months.
One day he eats normally, the next day he only eats dinner.
He's losing about a pound a week and very happy with it.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Eat Stop Eat: one or two 24-hour fasts a week

Fast Five: fast 19 hours, eat five hours

Leangains: fast 16 hours, eat eight hours

Warrior Diet: fast 20 hours, eat four hours

JUDDD, or "Alternate Day Diet": Eat 20-40% calorie rate on Down Days, eat 100% calorie rate on Up Days, alternate Up and Down days.

Granted, these are just the eat or don't-eat parts of the diets... each one also has its own take on WHAT you should eat, and some of them deal with when you should train/exercise during the fasted state, and what to eat in post-training recovery.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TishyLish68
Stats: 234.5/141.2/145 5 ft 5.5" 45YO
WOE: LC, no grains & Intermittent fasting
Start Date: February 2009
I have been doing Eat Stop Eat since May 17th. I do 24 hour fasting 3X per week though, trying to lose that little extra to get to my goal. I also am low carb on the days I do eat, this is working great for me so far. My weight hadn`t budged for months until now, I will probably continue to do this 2X per week to maintain. I feel great on the days that I fast, it`s given me a whole new perspective on food ( not so obsessed) and on the days that I do eat, I find that I need less food. This is very simple, no calorie counting, percentages, etc... I love it.
TishyLish68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:46 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
Start Date: 3.26.12
awesome recap - thanks Synger!
TryingJudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
That Synger, she is amazing!

Tishylish, so glad this is working for you.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post

JUDDD, or "Alternate Day Diet": Eat 20-40% calorie rate on Down Days, eat 100% calorie rate on Up Days, alternate Up and Down days.

Granted, these are just the eat or don't-eat parts of the diets... each one also has its own take on WHAT you should eat, and some of them deal with when you should train/exercise during the fasted state, and what to eat in post-training recovery.
Juddd is MUCH kinder to me. I seriously couldnt do the other kind of fasting, no way.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Its true what they say, "different strokes, different folks".

Everyone finds "what works" for them.

Good luck to everyone on your woe.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/192/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
I tried ESE for a while a few months ago and even dabbled into Fast 5 but I was always so hungry just from the thought of fasting and completely depriving myself. There is comfort in knowing that you can have *something* to eat even if its not much. The other diets are probably great for some but I couldn't cut it. However, on that note, I do love JUDDD
brewstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #11
CC3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CC3
Stats: 5'7" - 202/198/148
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: May 2012
I did ESE for the better part of a year. Bounced between a 5 pound spread for the entire year. It would be a great maintenance tool for me.
CC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:52 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Quote:

Thanks for the summary!
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
I'm following Leangains and JUDD. I follow JUDD but follow the eating window for Leangains.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tay65
Stats: On 1/6 - 215.6; current - 208.3 / 1st goal - 199
WOE: Counting calories
Start Date: March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrymyra View Post
I'm following Leangains and JUDD. I follow JUDD but follow the eating window for Leangains.
I am doing it too! Only I had no idea it had a name! LOL Too funny!
tay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Terri B
Stats: 295/220/190 6'0"
WOE: LC/I.F.
Start Date: 4/26/12
So funny, the more I read in these forums of the different WOE's, the more I see that I combine about 3 different WOE's to get the results I need!

I had no idea before today that there was a plan called E.S.E., yet, I've been doing that for about the last month! Along with I.F. 8 hour window, and simply low carb eating, It all works for me.

I LOVE the feeling of control when I have a stall, or a gain. I fast for 24hrs and BOOM! I'm usually down 3 or 4 lbs! then, I'll follow that with the 8 hr window. the beauty is the flexibility that these WOE's give us. I HATE counting calories and I HATE planning meals! Before discovering these WOE's, I used to say, "I'd rather not eat at all than have to go through all that hassle!"

I have found my HOME!!!
Terri B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
I combine them too. I have one day per week that I completely fast and end up with a 36-48 hour total fast. Then at least one other day I have a 24 hour fast by delaying dinner on a DD. And then there are days when I allow myself the 5 hour window without counting. Some of those days I doubt I hit UD calories and some I'm sure I go over. But it's been working for me in maintenance and I've still gradually lost a bit more.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CaTriGirl
WOE: hhcg
Quote:

Thank you so much for the recap! Now I understand the differences. I have seen a few of them on the Internet recently when I was researching training and fasting. I will probably have to adjust my WOE when I start training heavier. Right now I am mixing JUDDD and Fast 5 and didn't know it, it just made sense!
CaTriGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:57 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyL View Post
I combine them too. I have one day per week that I completely fast and end up with a 36-48 hour total fast. Then at least one other day I have a 24 hour fast by delaying dinner on a DD. And then there are days when I allow myself the 5 hour window without counting. Some of those days I doubt I hit UD calories and some I'm sure I go over. But it's been working for me in maintenance and I've still gradually lost a bit more.
Kathy, good for you to be able to do that! Last week, I extended my normal 24hr fast into a 36 hour one, and nearly hit the floor. It wasn't a good feeling at all! So, I will stick with my 24 hr fasts. Normally, I only do them once a week, but I'm certainly going to see where I can squeeze in another one!
Old 07-25-2012, 05:37 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

I find 24 hour fasts good because you still get to eat a meal once a day, regardless of when you start and stop. I don`t feel deprived at all as other posters have said they do, I guess it`s because I have reaped so many benefits from IF in such a short amount of time. Also, being a fat burner instead of a carb burner is a tremendous help during IF.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:55 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

TishyLish, It's good to see someone who has had success with the 24 hour fasting method. I agree about eating once a day. I have to be careful not to totally go nuts when I eat though! I'm 3 lbs down from yesterday's weigh! That will adjust over the next few days, but it still makes me feel good!
Old 07-25-2012, 07:04 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Terri B, I have found that if I eat breakfast instead of dinner I am less apt to over eat on the fasting day. I eat, then it`s off to work for the day... instead of dinner or supper (as I call it) and stuffing myself all evening. When I know that I can`t eat in the evening and sleep through the worst of the fast it`s just a lot easier for me. I tried the Warrior Diet for 2 weeks....fasting for 18 - 20 hours every day then eating in the evening in the 4-6 hour window. It was brutal for me, I was completely obsessed about food and starving all day. When I ate during my window I was like a pig and couldn`t get filled up and it really was hard on my digestion. So here I am back at 3 fasts per week and feeling great, mentally and physically and I wish you great success with your chosen path. Oh, and by the way my hubby is eating this way too, so it makes things a lot easier.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Tish, I'm the opposite. If I eat in the morning, I will be STARVING by noon. If I eat nothing, It's no problem to go until noon or later without eating anything. A lot of my problem is, and always will be, eating out of boredom. I LOVE the taste of food. the easiest thing for me is not eating at all.

But you know what they say, Everyone is different!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CaTriGirl
WOE: hhcg
[QUOTE=TishyLish68;15826434]I find 24 hour fasts good because you still get to eat a meal once a day, regardless of when you start and stop. I don`t feel deprived at all as other posters have said they do, I guess it`s because I have reaped so many benefits from IF in such a short amount of time. Also, being a fat burner instead of a carb burner is a tremendous help during IF.[/QUOTE]

I haven't read Dr. Johnson's book, so please forgive me if the answer to this question is in there.

Does IF help you to become a fat burner instead of a carb burner? And how long will that last if you go back to regular eating?

I am really confused......I recently completed an Ironman and instead of losing weight, I gained 15 lbs. Meanwhile, all by friends lost weight!

I was eating clean and seeing a Sports Nutritionist. He said I wasn't eating enough calories (I was eating 1800 a day & training 20 hrs a week.) So when I tried JUDDD I honestly didn't think it would work.

So I am wondering if my issue is that I am a carb burner and how to change that or if it's a cortisol issue, hormones or what. I'd really like to keep up the sport, but honestly ready to give it up in favor of Crossfit so I can feel good about myself and at least LOOK like I exercise.

Maybe I wouldn't have gained if I would have cycled my calories?

I feel like you all know more than people who have degrees in Nutrition! LOL
CaTriGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

CaTriGirl,

I'm not sure but I think what tishy meant was the fact that when you are eating fairly low carb, your body doesn't have as many carbs to burn, so it resorts to burning fat. During I.F., you are engaging the burn more frequently and for longer periods of time. This is why EVERY SINGLE TIME that I engage in a 24 hr fast, I drop 3 to 4 lbs! It's very liberating and empowering!

Now, I don't have a degree in Nutrition or anything, but I know what I know! You know?
Old 07-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I just naturally combine JUDDD and fast 5. 1 UD during the week I try to eat all three meals. I did today and I actually felt plain yucky after lunch. My body prefers eating in the evening only and doesn't seem to mind not being fed before 7pm. My UDs were getting too under so I had promised myself 1 really good UD a week, but after today I may rethink that. I bought some delish looking fresh, wild salmon to prepare with some orzo tonight, but, yuck, I just want to sleep and am actually looking forward to tomorrw being a DD. I never thoght I'd hear myself say that!!!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:23 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Yes, CaTriGirl I did mean that when you consistently keep your carbs low, you`ll burn fat instead of sugar. I am not a JUDDDer, but I know that some of them do low carb too.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #27
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
[quote=CaTriGirl;15827539]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TishyLish68 View Post
I find 24 hour fasts good because you still get to eat a meal once a day, regardless of when you start and stop. I don`t feel deprived at all as other posters have said they do, I guess it`s because I have reaped so many benefits from IF in such a short amount of time. Also, being a fat burner instead of a carb burner is a tremendous help during IF.[/QUOTE]

I haven't read Dr. Johnson's book, so please forgive me if the answer to this question is in there.

Does IF help you to become a fat burner instead of a carb burner? And how long will that last if you go back to regular eating?

I am really confused......I recently completed an Ironman and instead of losing weight, I gained 15 lbs. Meanwhile, all by friends lost weight!

I was eating clean and seeing a Sports Nutritionist. He said I wasn't eating enough calories (I was eating 1800 a day & training 20 hrs a week.) So when I tried JUDDD I honestly didn't think it would work.

So I am wondering if my issue is that I am a carb burner and how to change that or if it's a cortisol issue, hormones or what. I'd really like to keep up the sport, but honestly ready to give it up in favor of Crossfit so I can feel good about myself and at least LOOK like I exercise.

Maybe I wouldn't have gained if I would have cycled my calories?

I feel like you all know more than people who have degrees in Nutrition! LOL
I just finished The Art & Science of Low Carb Performance and there is a ton of info in there. They say it takes about a month to become a fat burner (they call it keto-adapted). They recommend a high fat diet and less than 50 carbs.

The Kindle edition was free last week.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote