Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
What's your favorite Quest bar?

I am trying these out. So far, they're the only brand I've found without soy. If you know of other soy-free bars, I'd love to hear about them too.

I have had the brownie version and thought it was pretty good.
I just tried the vanilla almond crunch and it was WAY too sweet for me!

I have only found them at The Vitamin Shoppe here in town and they only carry 4 kinds. I bought 3, but they were out of the coconut/cashew bar, which I REALLY want to try. I can't remember what the other one I got is, but will check when I get home.

I'd prefer to try them out before I place an order with Netrition for a bunch. Sadly, my orders always take around a week to get to me, and I'm just NOT that patient, unless I already know I like the product coming.

So which are your favorites?

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Well, to be honest I really didn't care for any of the natural ones I ordered so will not order again. Just my personal taste though. I got every flavor in the natural version too.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #3

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
What's that?
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #4

Thanks Adi.

Cindy, they are protein meal replacement bars, high protein and pretty low calorie. Sometimes I need something I can carry in my purse on a DD in case I'm out and about and don't have the time or inclination to stop somewhere.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #5

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I have even used the Atkins ones, lol. Not often since JUDDD though.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Dawn,
I have several brands in my desk but they all have soy so maybe you have no other options than the Quest. I just knew I would like the peanut butter one and that one was the worst. (to me) The coconut/cashew was the best of the ones I had. They did serve the purpose of having something in my purse when needed though. I try to have the bars on hand for times I can't take actual food with me. The lemon and strawberry and even the cinnamon seemed like such fake flavors to me.

Last edited by adillenal; 06-07-2012 at 11:15 AM..
Old 06-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
I have to take back my original positive review of these as well. Apparently the flavors really degrade rapidly over time, and not a lot of time either! The ones in particular here were purchased just a few months back, and they're nowhere near expiration date, but I had a bite of one the other day for a pre-bedtime snack, and it tasted so horrible I had to spit it out (ended up going without food instead because of that awful taste). It was the lemon cream pie one, and even though I liked it back when I first tried them, somehow the flavor morphed to something like bitter dishwashing soap. So of course I had to go try the other ones to test if they went bad too, and they all tasted really off. I threw them out, which was frustrating since they're not cheap!

I only have the All Natural line though, so I don't know if this is an issue with their original protein bars? I might have to try those since I'm afraid of the All Natural ones now.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Good to know it isn't just me.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #9

Oh goodness, this isn't sounding too good. Maybe I'll stick to picking them up just a couple at a time, and not bother stocking up.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 2BoysMom
Stats: Too pissed to talk about it
WOE: Keeping it simple- Hi Fat, Mod Protein and Lo Carb
Start Date: 1.26.2004 - 1st time. This time 1.1.2014
I like the Lemon Cream Pie the best, the coconut cashew one is ok, and I will eat them, but the lemon one was better.
2BoysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Terilynn
Stats: back to LC 1/6/14, going to stick to & make it
WOE: LC
I have tried several - I could tolerate the chocolate brownie, but didn't "LIKE" it.
They were not filling to me either - would not work as a meal replacement at all.
My DH likes everything and he could only tolerate the chocolate one also. I was really hyped for them too!
Terilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<278/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
How do you feel about jerky?
I find it to be the perfect emergency food...
and you don't have to worry about leaving it in a hot car--
it doesn't melt!!!

Also, it's easy to find at gas stations as well as walmart, grocery stores, etc.

My fave is the 1oz jack link beef steak...approx 60 cals.
It comes in 2oz also, but I can never finish one of those!!!

PS--sorry not to answer your question. I've just given up on finding the perfect bar! Luckily, I've found 60 cals of jerky to be much more filling than 120-200 cals of any bar I've tried!
New lows, 2014:
7/27 275.4

Last edited by piratejenny; 06-07-2012 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: spelling, ps
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

I make homemade jerky and always have a little bag in my purse. Harder to eat quickly though. BUT much better than the Quest bars. I actually like the SPecial K little bars at 90 calories but they have soybean oil.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
How do you feel about jerky?
I find it to be the perfect emergency food...
and you don't have to worry about leaving it in a hot car--
it doesn't melt!!!

Also, it's easy to find at gas stations as well as walmart, grocery stores, etc.

My fave is the 1oz jack link beef steak...approx 60 cals.
It comes in 2oz also, but I can never finish one of those!!!

PS--sorry not to answer your question. I've just given up on finding the perfect bar! Luckily, I've found 60 cals of jerky to be much more filling than 120-200 cals of any bar I've tried!
I love jerky, but alas, it appears most of them are made with soy sauce. With TD, I do my best to avoid soy. I would totally live on jerky for DDs if I could. It may be time to look into a dehydrator and/or recipes!
Old 06-08-2012, 04:28 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<278/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Darn soy sauce!!!

Well, I checked the Jack Link's FAQs re: allergens and they say they list them.
Then I clicked on different products (jerky, nuggets, steak) and each flavor has allergen info at the bottom of the ingredients--"contains soy, wheat, milk."

There are SEVERAL that don't have soy, including my favorite "Beef Steak" Original and Peppered! Some of them do, of course, like Teriyaki & Cajun.

A dehydrator would probably be great, too!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:55 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
I sold my dehydrator about three months ago, before having any clue about its full potential. The fact that we had about twenty calls and a waiting list for it should have tipped me off. Anyway, it occurs to me that there are probably heaps of them for sale and very lightly used. That jerky sounds fabulous.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:02 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2012
The coconut cashew is my favorite so far. I ordered one of each from netrition. I have not tasted them all yet. I liked the cinnamon, disliked the lemon, and really disliked the strawberry and peanut butter jelly. I just don't like the strawberry flavoring apparently. I think I have five in my desk drawer, two in my purse, and a few in the pantry.
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:42 AM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
I sold my dehydrator about three months ago, before having any clue about its full potential. The fact that we had about twenty calls and a waiting list for it should have tipped me off. Anyway, it occurs to me that there are probably heaps of them for sale and very lightly used. That jerky sounds fabulous.
I could not find a used one in my area so I had to buy new but it has been worth it just for the jerky. We raise and butcher our own beef so I use sirloin for the jerky. Keep some in the freezer at all times.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/125/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
I really like some flavors of these, and I rely on them during my DD days at work. They really fill me up and provide lots of protein. The biggest hint someone gave me is to microwave them (open them first and put on a plate/napkin) for about 10-15 seconds. Makes a huge difference in flavor and texture, IMO. I like to tear off pieces and eat them slowly as I enjoy a good book during my short half-hour lunch period.

Nice thing about Netrition is that you can try several flavors singly w/o committing to a whole box. I've tried several and narrowed down my favorites: vanilla almond, peanut butter supreme, and the PB&J flavors are top of my list. Brownie is pretty good too, as is the mixed berry. I don't care for coconut, but if I did, I think the coconut one wld be good. HATED the apple pie and lemon flavors, and wasn't keen on the cinnamon bun flavor.
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Ok, I managed to get a hold of three flavors from the original line (just one each so I can try it out), because the all natural line turned out to be a disaster in the end, which was disappointing because I don't have issues with stevia and erythritol from the all natural line.

I do sometimes have GI issues with sucralose which is in the original line so I try to avoid it, but I like the convenience that these bars offer for an emergency, and could use it as a quick snack after dinner some days, so I'm gonna give them a try. I got the apple pie, chocolate brownie and mixed berry bliss. Will report back after I try them.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

So out of the 3 flavors I tried, my favorite is apple pie, which is odd because I'm seriously not a fan of apples at all and I don't really like apple pie much either. Chocolate brownie is ok and the mixed berry bliss isn't all that good. I get sick of these bars quickly though, which might be a good thing since they definitely don't cause cravings for me. I haven't noticed any GI issues, which is also good.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Showcats
Stats: 193/168.6/150 5'6" Age 48
Start Date: 4/1/12 (177.8)
Hi Dawn,
Rise bars are soy free and are good. They have breakfast bars, energy bars, and protein bars. I really like the breakfast bars. I haven't tried the protein bars yet but have one to try for my DD today. They are also preservative free which I like because they don't give me migraines.
Showcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #23

I tried the coconut cashew a few days ago and OMG! It was good! I think I'll be ordering a case of that flavor on my next netrition order! Haven't tried the apple pie or berry versions. I have the cinnamon roll in my desk for an emergency.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showcats View Post
Hi Dawn,
Rise bars are soy free and are good. They have breakfast bars, energy bars, and protein bars. I really like the breakfast bars. I haven't tried the protein bars yet but have one to try for my DD today. They are also preservative free which I like because they don't give me migraines.
Tammy, where do you get the Rise bars, and are they decent in terms of calories? Soy free and preservative free sounds perfect!

ETA: I went to their website. They look great. I love the ingredients lists which are all wonderful, healthy, natural ingredients. The only problem I found is they're not available in my area, but I can order online. Also, the two protein bars have a lot of calories for a DD (260 and 280 I think). The other bars are more reasonable calorically, but much less protein (4-5 grams instead of 20). Still, I may order some to try. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited by KeirasMom; 06-20-2012 at 10:00 AM..
Old 06-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Showcats
Stats: 193/168.6/150 5'6" Age 48
Start Date: 4/1/12 (177.8)
I got a few of the Rise Bars from a health food store. I wanted to try them before I placed an order for more. Last week I ordered from their website and got a variety box of one of each of their 12 flavors. Calories for the breakfast bars are around 160-190, the energy bars are 160-210 and the protein are 260-280. My favorite so far is the Crunchy Macadamia Pineapple which is 160 calories. My husband likes the Crunchy Cashew Almond which is 190 calories.

ETA: just tried one of the protein Rise bars - did not like it at all. Took one bite and threw it away. I will stick with the breakfast bars!

Last edited by Showcats; 06-20-2012 at 11:07 AM..
Showcats is offline   Reply With Quote