Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 03:41 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
Six Weeks to OMG

This is huge in the UK right now. It topped the iTunes downloads list (it's not out as a paper book yet)

I downloaded it two days ago and despite a lot of negative press in some places I found it to be full of excellent advice.

He says to keep below 60 grams of carb a day, eat protein and fat and avoid transfats and franken sugars.

He also says to miss breakfast and drink black coffee until lunch and exercise in the fasting state. This makes a moderate IF diet and moderate low carb.

This is pretty much what we do on JUDDD minus the 24 hr calorie rotation.

The two gimmicks are: Take a cold bath every morning and blow up a balloon for an abs exercise. Not sure about those.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whitlin'
Stats: 162/149/149
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March, 2009
Very interesting, stargazer. Thanks for starting a discussion about this.

I know that Tim Ferriss in his 2010 book, "The 4-hour Body" recommended very cold baths or ice packs on the back of the neck and he demonstrated putting ice into a bathtub on Dr. Oz a couple different episodes, I think. Dr. Oz even got into the bath on camera to report on how it felt. But Ferriss is a big proponent of 30 grams of protein within 30 minutes of arising, so Fulton's OMG book will be very different on that count.

Anyone who takes thyroid meds can tell you that an early breakfast can be a problem with the timing of the meds, btw. Also probiotic pill or capsule supplements are better taken alone on an empty stomach, so there are several reasons no breakfast might be fine with some folks who are trying to take their meds correctly.

This is from yesterday's Mercola newsletter, btw, about Dr. Ron Rosedale and inflammation:
Quote:
If you're already off to a good start on a healthy fitness plan, and you're looking for ways to take it to the next level, you may want to consider a form of fasting called Scheduled Eating, or intermittent fasting. One simple way to do this is to simply skip breakfast, unless you're really hungry. Fasting is historically common-place as it has been a part of spiritual practice for millennia. But modern science has confirmed there are many good reasons to fast intermittently, including:

* Normalizing your insulin sensitivity, which is key for optimal health as insulin resistance (which is what you get when your insulin sensitivity plummets) is a primary contributing factor to nearly all chronic disease, from diabetes to heart disease and even cancer
* Normalizing ghrelin levels, also known as "the hunger hormone"
Promoting human growth hormone (HGH) production, which plays an important part in health, fitness and slowing the aging process
* Lowering triglyceride levels
* Reducing inflammation and lessening free radical damage

Exercising while in a fasted state has also been shown to produce many beneficial changes.
Just editing to wonder - but could I really do well skipping breakfast? Hmmm. I had just posted a couple days ago on the "too psyched to eat" thread saying I worried I might overeat at supper if I don't eat throughout the day on an UD.

Lost 13 pounds on JUDDD in 2009 and began happy maintenance. Slipped up in 2012, but JUDDD got me back to goal!

Last edited by Whitlin'; 06-07-2012 at 08:53 AM..
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Thanks for posting this. I like to look at books like these to see if there are tips to pick up. My grandmother, a slim and trim lady all her life, swore by taking a cold bath each day. She lived until almost 100 years old and never dieted and swore it was due to her ice bath.

And like he says about trusting doctors' advice about nutrition and losing fat-- I don't! It has been very apparent to me over the years that none of my doctors kept current with information on nutrition and losing weight. I was always referred to either Weight Watchers or the DASH diet.

It's nice you can download it for free. I might try lowering my carbs a bit and see what happens. Currently I am running around 100 grams of carbs a day. I do exercise on my down days, but that cold bath..... brrrrrrr........ I still might give it a try!
Old 06-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
The ice baths are also suggested as part of the Kruse Leptin Reset by Dr. Jack Kruse. I have yet to be able to take an ice bath, although I do take cold shower after my regular morning shower. It has taken me a while to get use to the cold water, but oh.my.goodness it works better than coffee for waking up the body!

Those who swim or have pools know the feeling of being wide awake the first jump into a pool that is 68 degrees or cooler. Talk about "jumping out of your skin" awake!

I do try and do the rest of his program as well as I can with JUDDD and have noticed that the evening workouts are definitely helping, as long as I make sure that I do them 3 hours before bed. I don't know if I will ever be able to turn the pc off 3 hours before sleep though as he suggests.

MY LEPTIN PRESCRIPTION - Jack Kruse
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Damazon
Stats: 234/220/190
WOE: JUDDD Primal
Start Date: April 2012
Timely thread, the cold bath thing lasted a week for me. Absolutely improved my energy for the entire day! After reading a bunch about the detoxifying effects of the cold baths I decided to take them once and a while rather than consistently. I don't want to mess around with my JUDD success!

I also like the large protein breakfast on my up days.

D
Damazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 175.8/163.4/140...47 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: January 1, 2014
I have a fever and a cold bath sure sounds inviting about now!

I do isometrics for my gut...it really works!! Stand in front of a mirror, lift up your shirt, suck in your belly HARD and count to 25, do this 3x per session (I do it twice a day).

Blowing up balloons makes me dizzy!

This stuff you listed sounds like good ideas, I may have to look into this....
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have found that his idea that snacking stresses our liver to be so true and have totally eliminated any snacks. Timing is also important and JUDDD has greatly helped me in this area, so that I only eat every 4 to 5 hours on UD but DD is mostly just once and rarely twice per day.

From his blog...
3. How you eat your fuel is MORE IMPORTANT than any other factor, including the food itself.
A. Never snack at all. This is meant initially and forever. Snacking completely stresses the liver’s metabolism and is just not recommended. Your liver needs to re-learn how to use gluconeogenesis normally again when you are asleep and awake. Snacking just destroys the timing and circadian clocks that work in unison with Leptin.
B. Try to eat three meals a day initially; but as your hunger and cravings fade you can adapt to two a day.
C. Try to eat breakfast as early as possible from rising.
D. Do not work out before or after breakfast.
E. Try to allow 4-5 hours between dinners and sleep time.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:55 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
I tried a cold shower yesterday and it was not too bad and really perks you up. I'm at the gym today and will try a sauna/cold shower with my dip in the swimming pool.

I must say that since doing JUDDD DDs for three months my appetite has been totally re-wired. Before I used to panic if I missed my meals and got ravenous. Now I can fast to 3.00pm without a twinge and can basically exist on one meal a day. All because you learn to put off breakfast for as long as possible.

JUDDD teaches us to pay attention to what really is going on in our bodies. Snacks don't turn off the hunger hormones. When you eat it's best to eat a proper meal. The cynic in me thinks the "eat 6 small meals a day and never miss breakfast" idea is just a way for food manufacturers to sell us more food.
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:09 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
Even now that Summer has arrived I am still experiencing DD shivers. The idea of a cold bath is - golly - my teeth start chattering if I even think of it!

Total agreement about avoiding snacks. I am trying to arrange my eating around 'am I hungry? really hungry? then either eat a meal or don't'. That seems to work best.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:56 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
My liver enzymes were elevated for years and have gone down into the normal range since I started following Dr Kruse's and Dr Bernstein's recommendations to wait 5 hours between meals. This eventually led into JUDDD...then Fast 5...then back to JUDDD...

I too no longer snack to "hold me over" until a meal (unless it's some weird, unusual situation and I feel too ill or weak to wait). It took a while, but now my feeling of hunger is usually different...it is ONLY hunger, not bad mood/shaking hands/desperate hunger.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
My liver enzymes were elevated for years and have gone down into the normal range since I started following Dr Kruse's and Dr Bernstein's recommendations to wait 5 hours between meals. This eventually led into JUDDD...then Fast 5...then back to JUDDD...

I too no longer snack to "hold me over" until a meal (unless it's some weird, unusual situation and I feel too ill or weak to wait). It took a while, but now my feeling of hunger is usually different...it is ONLY hunger, not bad mood/shaking hands/desperate hunger.
I can't believe how much I have learned from JUDDD/Kruse and the Hcg Protocol! The hunger scale is truly important with continual weight maintenance. Snacking disrupts this process of truly feeling "real" hunger. You know the energy and sense of "well being" that we feel on a DD??? That is the hormone leptin working as God created it to do. Strange huh? Who would have thought that fasting could produce that sense of good energy?
Old 06-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I took a nice cold bath last night, it was tough to take for a few minutes but got easier as I got used to it. I thought it might wake me up too much seeing as though I took it at 9:00 at night but I slept like a baby! My son Matthew loves taking cool baths, I always used to add warm water to his baths as it froze me just waching him, but now he can take them as cool as he wants.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
I took a nice cold bath last night, it was tough to take for a few minutes but got easier as I got used to it. I thought it might wake me up too much seeing as though I took it at 9:00 at night but I slept like a baby! My son Matthew loves taking cool baths, I always used to add warm water to his baths as it froze me just waching him, but now he can take them as cool as he wants.
I am so glad that it helped you to sleep! Thanks for reporting this. The first time that I took a cold shower, it brought back memories of jumping in the swimming pool in late April before the outdoor temps have reached the 80s and the feeling of having your breath literally taken away by the shock. Invigorating! I had the same feeling the first time I stepped into the Pacific Ocean and it was really, really cold, but I wanted to feel it so bad and the temp outside was very hot.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I am so glad that it helped you to sleep! Thanks for reporting this. The first time that I took a cold shower, it brought back memories of jumping in the swimming pool in late April before the outdoor temps have reached the 80s and the feeling of having your breath literally taken away by the shock. Invigorating! I had the same feeling the first time I stepped into the Pacific Ocean and it was really, really cold, but I wanted to feel it so bad and the temp outside was very hot.
I Love the Ocean!! That first time peeking your toes into the cold waves is invigorating!!! Then of course one of my smarty pants kids will splash me and freeze me to death!

I'm going to do another nice cool bath tonight and see if it helps me sleep again.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Becky, keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't keep you up!!!

I hear so many reports of energy and youthfulness from the ones who do this regularly, that I worry that it could be hard to sleep. Please let me know.

Have you ever taken an epsom salt bath? Now, that will help you sleep like a baby and calm your nerves wonderfully!
Old 06-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Becky, keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't keep you up!!!

I hear so many reports of energy and youthfulness from the ones who do this regularly, that I worry that it could be hard to sleep. Please let me know.

Have you ever taken an epsom salt bath? Now, that will help you sleep like a baby and calm your nerves wonderfully!
I have a big bag of epsom salts right by the tub, we were going to use them with my autistic son to help detox him. We decided against it because he loves dunking his head under water while on his back and opening his eyes (while underwater) it's really creepy! The though of epsom salt water in his eyes didn't sound good. I will use them though, they are lavender scented, smells like the real oil too! Good stuff! It would zonk me out I have no doubt.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
Quote:
Who would have thought that fasting could produce that sense of good energy?
Well, when we were cavemen and ran out of food, we needed that energy to go chase down an antelope!!!

Can you just imagine a bunch of cavemen languidly stretched out on the ground, moaning and complaining because they haven't eaten since breakfast?
OH NO WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!

(I have been over-using that antelope story lately, but I love it!)
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Well, when we were cavemen and ran out of food, we needed that energy to go chase down an antelope!!!

Can you just imagine a bunch of cavemen languidly stretched out on the ground, moaning and complaining because they haven't eaten since breakfast?
OH NO WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!

(I have been over-using that antelope story lately, but I love it!)
You paint quite the picture!
Old 06-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Damazon
Stats: 234/220/190
WOE: JUDDD Primal
Start Date: April 2012
FYI anyone getting into the cold bath thing, careful on those down days. It can be unbearable to some. Cold baths in fasted state is NOT a good idea for me, it takes ages to feel warm again.

Up days for sure! I highly recommend for energy through the day, sound sleep at night and any pain and inflammation problems. : )
Damazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
I have a big bag of epsom salts right by the tub, we were going to use them with my autistic son to help detox him. We decided against it because he loves dunking his head under water while on his back and opening his eyes (while underwater) it's really creepy! The though of epsom salt water in his eyes didn't sound good. I will use them though, they are lavender scented, smells like the real oil too! Good stuff! It would zonk me out I have no doubt.
Just a thread jack here- we use epsom salt cream with our clients. It is easier than the baths with some kids. You can make your own for lots cheaper thanbuying it. Just google The GFCF lady epsom salt lotion.
That way your darling son can still get his magnesium sulfate without dunking his head in it.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote