Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mcneilnomore
Stats: 309/305/150
WOE: moderate carbs and calories
Start Date: 3/10/14
Medium Days?

How do you all calculate your medium day calories? My 20% DD is 496 calories and my UD ate 2480. I would like to stick to M, W, Fr DD's so I guess Saturday would be a medium day. Thanks for helping this newbie :-)
mcneilnomore is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2012, 04:15 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
A MD is your UD + DD divided by 2. 2480 + 496 = 2976, divided by 2 = 1488 if my math is correct.

However: many people stall or lose much more slowly with the addition of a MD to keep rotations the same. It's also not recommended for the first 2 weeks to a month, until you have a good supply of sirtuins built up. Some people do okay with them, but others, even those in maintenance, have had problems. YMMV.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:16 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Add 496 and 2480 and divide by 2 which would be 1488.
Now I am one of those that tried a MD for a banquet that fell on a DD and it messed up my mind as well as my weightloss for way more days than I ever thought it would. We are all so different. Some folks have no problems with MD's but I will try to avoid them at all costs. The last banquet I attended, I fasted until the banquet and ate modestly and did great. Just food for thought.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Jennifer. You say that you are eating a certain amount for your UD which sounds to me like you are not eating your calculated calories but rather free eating on those days. It is never a good idea to tweak this woe during the first month and for some of us better never to do medium days. It taks very few calories over or under our calculated calories to prevent weight loss Why are you not choosing to do Juddd as intended?
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
A MD is your UD + DD divided by 2. 2480 + 496 = 2976, divided by 2 = 1488 if my math is correct.

However: many people stall or lose much more slowly with the addition of a MD to keep rotations the same. It's also not recommended for the first 2 weeks to a month, until you have a good supply of sirtuins built up. Some people do okay with them, but others, even those in maintenance, have had problems. YMMV.
Thank you Keirasmom and Adillenal for calculating that for me. I am a math dummy! I was subtracting 500 from 2480 and thinking that 1980 sounded awfully high for a "medium" day. Thank you Thank you!

Edited to add that I just did the math and adding a medium day would still bring my calorie defecit to equal 1.98 lbs per week. Not too shabby.

Last edited by mcneilnomore; 06-06-2012 at 03:15 PM..
mcneilnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Jennifer, I get what you're saying, and the book does state things differently than the collected wisdom here. And you're right - the scale will tell you how you're doing. When people speak up to say stick to the rotation if you can, etc., I think they're just hoping to help you create the best chance at success with a WOE that takes a bit of work. They want the work to pay off for you.
There's also a wonderful confidence here in how well Juddd works when it's done to the letter. (On the other hand, some people have terrific success with different riffs on Juddd.)
Hope all goes beautifully with your approach. I hope you keep posting about it. We all have so much to learn from each other. Enjoy.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #7

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Sounds to me as if you are doing pretty much what the Dr intends, so that is good. The MD is an option but you might like to look for this thread... I believe I had an epiphany...my longest post ever.

You may not need to go as high as an MD to still enjoy your BBQ?

We all have to make this work in its own way, but you do need to try those first 2 weeks as strict as possible to build up the Sirt1.

Last edited by Kissa; 06-06-2012 at 03:40 PM..
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Jennifer, I was only referring to you adding in MD from the very start of doing Juddd. Everyone interprets what Dr J says about eating on UD differently. From what I have observed, those who stay true to their calculated calories for both UD and DD are the ones who have positive results with weight loss. Those that go over or even under on one or both days tend to see negative results. I know there are those who do this woe very differently than the majority however, it is my understanding that MD are to be used infrequently. I know that Juddd is like only dieting every other day, but it really in truth a diet every day if you are doing it as one should. Again, only my personal take on this. My concern was that your appetite suppression won't kick in at all if you don't at least do it by the book for the first few weeks. As far as keeping track of calories, I'd go nuts also using those programs, I use a notepad and a pen. Keep it simple. Good luck.

Last edited by Muffabuff; 06-06-2012 at 06:00 PM..
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:13 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Hey Cindy, I ran some numbers and came up with MD = 65% Weight Loss Maintenance calculation. Maybe we should rename MD to Maintenance Day?

Nah. That would get toooooo confusing.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:33 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetTN
Stats: too much/getting there/just right!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Jan 2012
Hi Jennifer. I am one of the JUDDDers that does not count on UD's. I lost 30 lbs. in the first three months only counting on my DD's. I have currently slowed way down (4 lbs. in last 6 weeks) but have several issues that I think my body is adjusting to. I am ok with that because I love this WOE and feel great.

My plan is to still not count on UD's but reign in the eating a little . My thyroid meds are off and we are working on getting levels right and that could also contribute to the slow down. I have also backed off the exercise due to busy life with children (not a great excuse) so I need to make time for me.

I think this WOE is very forgiving and there has been great success in counting UD as well as not counting UD. I wish you all the luck and come here often for support.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

After much deliberation, I think I'm not going to do a MD unless there is some special occasion for it. I looked at a calender and following the every other day rotation will work into my schedule just fine. I finished my second DD yesterday and feel like I'm stronger than I thought I was. I'm sure I will be fine doing DD's when I'm home all day because I do not want to screw up my diet. Also, medium days would include counting calories and I'd rather keep that to down days. Thank you for all the advice.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
WOE: JUDDD
Good for you, Jennifer! I think you'll reap the most rewards that way. Challenging ourselves mentally (to do or not do anything) isn't a bad thing, it's a good thing. I think it's great you've told yourself you can do it. You can do this, and will.
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #13

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Good call Jennifer, looking forward to watching you shrink.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote