Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lily
Stats: 221/215/168
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 1 2012
Help! Keep losing the plot on down days!

The title says it all, I fear. Getting sooo frustrated with myself! I can get to 6.00pm or so on a DD, but then somehow (tiredness? Watching others eat?) I find an excuse to eat beyond my allowance and boom! My DD turns into an UUADD!

Sigh. I love the idea of JUDDD and I'm sure that if I could only get it right, it'd be a perfect plan for me. In theory, I should find it easy - I've been able to do a VLCD (Cambridge Diet) in the past so I know that sticking to 500 cals is perfectly doable. So why do I keep sabotaging myself? The knowledge that I can eat tomorrow ought to be enough, so why isn't it?

Should I try eating more calories on a DD and work my way down? Say, have 800 calories for the first few DD? I honestly don't know what to do. I'm currently 218lbs, 5ft 4, 42 and on a 2000/500 rotation (well, I ought to be!)

Has anyone had success using an increased DD allowance? All and any advice gratefully received!
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I found 500 calories hard at first, so I ate between 750 and 800 the first week. After that, I kept dropping calories and, as appetite suppression increased, I ate less and less with no problem.

Eat more on DD in a planned manner and stop the UUADs!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Absolutely what gotsomeold said. Plan for 800, and go down from there. 800 is way better than trying for 500 and blowing way past it. When the hunger suppression kicks in, you can work down.

And if you've been waiting to eat, try spacing your calories out through the day so you never get SO hungry you just go crazy with the first bite. If you've been spacing them out and it leads to grazing your way to an UUAD, then try waiting to eat.

Also, look at the foods you are choosing. Perhaps they are trigger foods for you. Even UD foods can sometimes cause over eating on DD's.

You can DO this though. Just need to find the right combo of foods and the right amount of calories to maintain your control, while creating the deficit you need.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Both really great ideas!When the appetite suppression kicks in you can start to lower your DD calories.
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
I found 500 calories hard at first, so I ate between 750 and 800 the first week. After that, I kept dropping calories and, as appetite suppression increased, I ate less and less with no problem.

Eat more on DD in a planned manner and stop the UUADs!
Nancy, thank you so much for replying! I think I just needed some reassurance that that was the right thing to do. It's so silly, cos when I was doing Cambridge I could have 450 cals a day no problem - but for some reason, it feels like deprivation to 'only' have 500 cals on a DD. So it's a 'head' thing. Stupid mind games!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
Absolutely what gotsomeold said. Plan for 800, and go down from there. 800 is way better than trying for 500 and blowing way past it. When the hunger suppression kicks in, you can work down.

And if you've been waiting to eat, try spacing your calories out through the day so you never get SO hungry you just go crazy with the first bite. If you've been spacing them out and it leads to grazing your way to an UUAD, then try waiting to eat.

Also, look at the foods you are choosing. Perhaps they are trigger foods for you. Even UD foods can sometimes cause over eating on DD's.

You can DO this though. Just need to find the right combo of foods and the right amount of calories to maintain your control, while creating the deficit you need.
Oh! I've just had an a-ha moment! Trigger foods. Doh - how daft am I? See, I was fine just having my meal replacement shakes - so fine in fact that I figured having a piece of chocolate cos I'd still got a few calories to play with would be okay. No! Okay, lesson learned. Chocolate is only for UDs, no matter how many calories I have left.

Thank you for helping me see the light! I'm so grateful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffabuff View Post
Both really great ideas!When the appetite suppression kicks in you can start to lower your DD calories.
Thanks Muffabuff. I'm really looking forward to the appetite suppression stage!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: circusgirl
Stats: 219/185/140
WOE: primal/paleo-currently HCG
Start Date: August 1999 primal, HCG in 2010
Having done a round or two of 500 cal days with no problem I can say it's not a mind thing. It was easy to do that. It wasn't hugely successful for me, but I did it.

Anyway, my point is it's MUCH harder for me physically to eat 500 cals every other day. I'm not sure if it's the content of my food (DD are low carb, UD are not whereas before all 500 cal days were low carb) or if it's the up and down aspect. Either way, 500 cals in a groove is a cinch, but this takes some getting used to.

It took me several weeks...almost a month before DD were easy. But they finally are. I'm eating 650 now on a DD, and less if I can. Totally worth it though! But it's not your imagination. It is harder to volley betwixt the two than to simply have that be your daily allotment of calories.
circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I know it sounds counter-intuitive but my solution to that evening eating thing is to not eat.
Eating anything can be the trigger for me (and a number of others)
I can usually "feel" it if it is one of those seasons where one bite will set off a binge.
I just choose not to eat at all on those days, or don't eat after my down day breakfast of chia milk. I learned that it is more empowering to me personally to give myself permission to not eat today, and affirm myself with the promise that I get to eat tomorrow morning.
My down day menus on days I do eat are incredibly monotonous which "studies show" helps with hunger abatement. That keeps me on the straight and narrow, because it becomes a habit. If that menu is all I eat on down days, then I somehow don't really want anything else, I know I am done. I also don't eat after about 5pm on down days ever, and not usually after 6pm on up days. Evening snacking was too treacherous for me for too many years.
I'm not even sure it is real physical hunger as opposed to some psychological issue that makes me want to eat and not stop.
If you are feeling up to it, try a fast day or really close- with no sweet taste, maybe just some very low cal liquids in the morning, then nothing.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by circusgirl View Post
Having done a round or two of 500 cal days with no problem I can say it's not a mind thing. It was easy to do that. It wasn't hugely successful for me, but I did it.

Anyway, my point is it's MUCH harder for me physically to eat 500 cals every other day. I'm not sure if it's the content of my food (DD are low carb, UD are not whereas before all 500 cal days were low carb) or if it's the up and down aspect. Either way, 500 cals in a groove is a cinch, but this takes some getting used to.

It took me several weeks...almost a month before DD were easy. But they finally are. I'm eating 650 now on a DD, and less if I can. Totally worth it though! But it's not your imagination. It is harder to volley betwixt the two than to simply have that be your daily allotment of calories.
Thanks circusgirl. Tomorrow is my next DD and I've already planned exactly what I'm going to eat. I've got a feeling (maybe wrong but we'll see!) that giving myself permission to eat 800 calories might be enough to stop me actually eating them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_lou_who View Post
I know it sounds counter-intuitive but my solution to that evening eating thing is to not eat.
I can usually "feel" it if it is one of those seasons where one bite will set off a binge.
I just choose not to eat at all on those days, or don't eat after my down day breakfast of chia milk. I learned that it is more empowering to me personally to give myself permission to not eat today, and affirm myself with the promise that I get to eat tomorrow morning.
My down day menus on days I do eat are incredibly monotonous which "studies show" helps with hunger abatement. That keeps me on the straight and narrow, because it becomes a habit. If that menu is all I eat on down days, then I somehow don't really want anything else, I know I am done. I also don't eat after about 5pm on down days ever, and not usually after 6pm on up days. Evening snacking was too treacherous for me for too many years.
I'm not even sure it is real physical hunger as opposed to some psychological issue that makes me want to eat and not stop.
If you are feeling up to it, try a fast day or really close- with no sweet taste, maybe just some very low cal liquids in the morning, then nothing.
Thanks - again, that's great advice and definitely another thing to try. I've read before that keeping your menu monotonous can really help - I'd completely forgotten though, so thanks for the reminder. It does kind of make sense not to entertain your palette too much!

So, my UD is over and I've planned for tomorrow. I'm ready - bring it on!

Last edited by Lily; 06-05-2012 at 02:27 PM..
Old 06-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Lily, honestly if it's the very end of the day and you have a few calories left, I see no reason why you can't spend it on a piece of chocolate. Even on a DD. However I might not be the best person to say, I recently spent $100 on Simply Lite milk and dark chocolate bars lol. I have to drive 2 hours each way to get them or pay shipping and handling, so I bought in bulk. Can you imagine the damage if I have a really bad day.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: laceylady
Stats: 16w(190)/size 14(175)/size 12
Start Date: Jan 2012/restart May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffabuff View Post
Lily, honestly if it's the very end of the day and you have a few calories left, I see no reason why you can't spend it on a piece of chocolate. Even on a DD. However I might not be the best person to say, I recently spent $100 on Simply Lite milk and dark chocolate bars lol. I have to drive 2 hours each way to get them or pay shipping and handling, so I bought in bulk. Can you imagine the damage if I have a really bad day.
I'm here to help if you need intervention between you and the chocolate bars!!! What are JUDDD BUDDDs for anyway?!
laceylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:42 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_lou_who View Post
I'm absolutely with you on this! I eat a very boring, repetitive menu for DDs, and when I'm done, I'm done. There are no big decisions or temptations. I am one who does better to put off eating until later in the day, but I have a mental "time" I can eat. I try to eat my first little meal no earlier than noon, and some days I get busy and can put it off until 1:30 or 2:00. Then I know it's just a few hours until I eat my dinner, usually between 5:00 and 6:00. I always have about 100 calories left to play with, so I'll have a satisfying snack around 7 or 8, then I'm done for the day. So much of it IS mental. But those filling and satisfying UDs make my DDs worth it.
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: 8/18/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by laceylady View Post
I'm here to help if you need intervention between you and the chocolate bars!!! What are JUDDD BUDDDs for anyway?!
And I'll help you if you need it!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

LOL at the latest posts ^ ^

Well... Drum roll...

I've had a 492 calorie DD

So it can be done. Thanks JUDDD buddds for all the wonderful advice. I just kept it really simple and really boring - and for some reason it's been easy today! Yay!!
Old 06-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
LOL at the latest posts ^ ^

Well... Drum roll...

I've had a 492 calorie DD

So it can be done. Thanks JUDDD buddds for all the wonderful advice. I just kept it really simple and really boring - and for some reason it's been easy today! Yay!!
Yes it can be done and YOU did it!

And, you CAN do it again!
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Laceylady and vanilla latteI'll keep you in mind
Old 06-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Yay! I knew you could do it. KUTGW!
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Thank you!

I'm now having an UD where I'm just not hungry! LOL, all those things you fancy eating on DDs and then you don't want them on UDs!

Love it! JUDDD
Old 06-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Just saw this thread, and I can see I am not needed. Wonderful!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
You are *always needed, my dear!
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
You are *always needed, my dear!
Absolutely x

Thanks everyone. Had another successful DD today - I think it's getting easier (hope that doesn't jinx it )
Old 06-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #21
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Well, thank you both.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote