Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Seriously the sizing

My DH, such a romantic, the other day he bought me this cute short flannel nitie with a hood and matching booties. after my shower I slipped it on, I could have used a itty bit more room in the bust, but other wise it fit nicely. I thought to myself, wow 24 lbs ago there's no way this would have ever fit me. I asked my DH to look at the tag and tell me what size it was. A LARGE. Seriously, a large. I've gone from a BMI of 27.9 to a BMI of 23.2 which is from overweight to normal range. If I'm a large now, what was I then. Who is the crazy person that puts these sizing tags on? We literally have to be anorexic to get out of a size large. I know it isn't the size on a label that matters. I'm just really sick of Victorias Secret models who are really just freaks of nature, being touted as examples of what women should look like. We shouldn't have to weigh 85 lbs to fit in a small. It's no surprise there are so many eating disorders these days. Whew! Thanks I really needed that!
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetTN
Stats: too much/getting there/just right!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Jan 2012
I think the shirt sizes have gotten smaller and the pant sizes have gotten bigger. I can wear a size 12 pants with room to spare now. 25 years ago ( and 40 lbs lighter) I was wearing 11's or 13's. An XL shirt today looks like a small or med. because everything is so fitted.
JanetTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 175.8/162.4/140...47 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: January 1, 2014
Even when I weighed 106 (from HS up until my first kiddo at age 26) I was always a medium, I ballooned up to an EX L after he was born. I lost 22 lbs so far and am still a large in shirts, my pants size is FINALLY shrinking as of late. But I like my clothes a bit on the lose side so even after I get to goal I may still go for the large size tops.

It was super nice of you husband to buy you a nightie!

Last edited by Becky; 06-04-2012 at 02:37 PM..
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120.6/115-120
I find the womens sizing to be just plain crazy. I can be anywhere from size 0 to size 12, depending on the brand (and I am not kidding you). It is so much easier to shop for mens clothing (they are usually right on the money).
Don't worry what the label says.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 175.8/162.4/140...47 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: January 1, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
I find the womens sizing to be just plain crazy. I can be anywhere from size 0 to size 12, depending on the brand (and I am not kidding you). It is so much easier to shop for mens clothing (they are usually right on the money).
Exactly, nobody is going to be grabbing for the size tag, only you will know, though smaller sizes are huge ego uppers

Different companies have huge differences in sizes, I have a pair of Levi jeans that are a 12 and a pair of Old Navy jeans that are a 10 and they both fit exactly the same, I also have 14s that are still tight! WTH???

Most of my shorts are 10s now, they seem more uniform in the sizing for some reason.

I agree with the menswear, I buy my kids and husband jeans by size (inseam/waist) and they always fit regardless of brand. Why they can't do that for women I'll never know!
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I try clothes on and carry a tape measure. I don't even look at size labels. But then, as a thrift store addict I am used to sizing.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
Exactly! That's why more women than men are obsessive about clothing size. Men's sizes are consistent and makes sense, women's sizing is crazy! Different brands and different stores have different sizes on their tags. I have taken tops that have different size tags and put one on top of the other like on a table and they are the same exact size except 1 tag will say large and the other will say meduim. it's crazy! I've had 1 tag from one place say extra large and put it on top of a medium and they were the same exact size! It's nuts they should be ashamed. We need consistant sizing for all brands and all stores. A certain size in 1 brand may be 1-2 sizes smaller in another brand or store.

~The woman came from a man's rib. Not from his feet to be walked on. Not from his head to be superior, but from his side to be equal. Under his arm to be protected, and next to his heart to be loved. ~

Last edited by ~PaperMoon~; 06-04-2012 at 03:50 PM..
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Exactly, nobody is going to be grabbing for the size tag, only you will know, though smaller sizes are huge ego uppers

Different companies have huge differences in sizes, I have a pair of Levi jeans that are a 12 and a pair of Old Navy jeans that are a 10 and they both fit exactly the same, I also have 14s that are still tight! WTH???

Most of my shorts are 10s now, they seem more uniform in the sizing for some reason.

I agree with the menswear, I buy my kids and husband jeans by size (inseam/waist) and they always fit regardless of brand. Why they can't do that for women I'll never know!
Exactly! It's crazy!
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gello5440
WOE: Low Carb - Atkins
Start Date: October 2010
I just cut the tags out! They're itchy.
gello5440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CatherineA
WOE: formerly LC; trying JUDDD 2322.464
Start Date: 5/4/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffabuff View Post
My DH, such a romantic, the other day he bought me this cute short flannel nitie with a hood and matching booties. after my shower I slipped it on, I could have used a itty bit more room in the bust, but other wise it fit nicely. I thought to myself, wow 24 lbs ago there's no way this would have ever fit me. I asked my DH to look at the tag and tell me what size it was. A LARGE. Seriously, a large. I've gone from a BMI of 27.9 to a BMI of 23.2 which is from overweight to normal range. If I'm a large now, what was I then. Who is the crazy person that puts these sizing tags on? We literally have to be anorexic to get out of a size large. I know it isn't the size on a label that matters. I'm just really sick of Victorias Secret models who are really just freaks of nature, being touted as examples of what women should look like. We shouldn't have to weigh 85 lbs to fit in a small. It's no surprise there are so many eating disorders these days. Whew! Thanks I really needed that!
Tell It, Sistah......
I am a 6'1" tall woman and no matter how much I weigh or work out or whatever, *normal* sizes will never fit (and never have)....
CatherineA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
Irritating doesn't BEGIN to describe how this fact of life bothers me. Few things seem REAL anymore. It's either distressing (even if ya tell yourself ya know better) when a size is bigger than you were expecting, OR even when I have on something that says "small" I'm left wondering if it's even accurate! Either way is irking! I still have to "work-on" not worrying about "What size AM I anyway!" Insecure-much? Maybe. BUT...I still don't like being "BLANKED" with by the fashion industry! Whew,I feel better now, too! Goodness, I think that had been building up in there!!!

Phyl
gotitnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mitsa
Stats: start 118/ goal 100
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 05/26/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffabuff View Post
I know !! It's terrible the sizing, they do that in Oz too. I used to be between a size 6-8 aus in pants. After weight gain I'm now a 8. Tops I'm the same size. So often when I'm shopping I grab a top assuming its gonna fit and get home and realize its too small or big. different manufactures different sizing. Frustrating.
Mitsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:34 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Take a deeeeep breath, Phyl. Deeeep in through the nose. Slooooow out through the mouth. Deeep in, sloooow out. Deeep in, sloooow out.

Feeling calmer?

Now, repeat after me: "Clothing manufacturers are insane. The size on the label is only a suggestion, a hint, an out-right lie. It means nothing. The only thing that matters, is how the clothing looks when I try it on."

Whenever you feel the stress, just repeat: "Clothing manufacturers are insane. How does this look on me?"
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
I don't mind the size thing at all. I always dreamed of being a size eight ( which I haven't been since I learned to hold my own fork), and now I am! Who knew that te entire industry would have to change to make my wish come true!?
I can understand any frustration, though. The last time a wardrobe person called to get my sizing for a film, I told her I was a size 12. She said, honey, that isn't good enough. You have to tell me the brand and the year in which you bought the size 12! Imagine the frustration in her line of work!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I have size 14 bermuda shorts I cannot even button, 10s that are loose. So with you on the crazy size ranges. I have XL shirts that are tight and mediums that are baggy. I bought bathing suits recently in range from 8 to 12. The eight fits the best, some of the 12s are really tight. All the "what not to wear" types on tv tell us not to worry about the size, partly because even though you and I may be the same height and weight, our body types and build are completely different, so the same pair of pants or top might fit me and you can't get them on or vice versa. So true!
I just remove the bleeping tags with a seam ripper and don't let them eat my brain anymore.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Size tags don't really mean anything to me. I just try it on and if it fits I wear it. Now I do feel elated if that item is a size 8 like today BUT in the end it really doesn't maater since I will go home this evening and put on my XL shorts and XL T-shirt to go out and do chores. (They are actually DH's old coaching shorts and shirts but who cares)
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote