Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 06:30 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/192/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
Question about DH on JUDD

My husband is going to try JUDD with me and I was wondering if there was anything special I should know about men on JUDD? He's 298 6'1-6'2 and 32 years old. I got the numbers of 3162 and 792. I think he's going to try 25% weight loss as he's a little intimidated by the idea of 600 calories a day (what luxury, right ). How do men typically fare on the diet?
brewstate is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2012, 06:37 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
My DH did it for a month or so and was having great results. The only thing I see with men "in general" is that they don't want to count. A couple of women here have their husbands JUDDDing (whether the husbands know it or not), but they tend to do most of the cooking and pack lunches for DH etc. I'm too selfish for all that, and my DH does most of the cooking, so he fell of the JUDDD wagon and has not yet returned. My DH is also more significantly overweight than yours and is researching WL surgery, so his situation's a little different.

I say, guide him gently, and once he sees the results, he may be just as hooked as we are.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

That's actually what I was worried about. He's been low carb for a while but obviously looses weight much fast than me so doesn't try as hard. Since he eats in the cafeteria at work I was thinking I could start sending fruits/veggies/and frozen meals on his down day which would save us money anyway. I hope he will stick with it but I have my doubts.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I recommend checking out OhioGuy's posts.

One thing I've noticed is that men seem to do well with the one-meal-a-day sort of IF, or something like Fast5. Guys who found JUDDD too restrictive/bouncy as well as guys who did low-carb or Paleo and either stalled or found IF helped them get more muscular.

Some guys also do fine with higher DDs....like 3000cal UD & 1800 DD. Although, I think it could be helpful for your DH to do lower cals for the 2-week induction.

Last edited by piratejenny; 06-03-2012 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: spelling
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
My DH has done quite well on JUDDD. He sticks pretty closely to 500 on DD's, and watches his UD's more carefully than I do (but then I'm closer to goal than he is). He just had a big drop yesterday morning, to a number he hasn't seen in some ten years. We are happy for him :-) and he's taking that as encouragement that he's doing the right thing, and I would agree.

Even though we're both doing JUDDD, we don't eat the same. I eat a lot of volume on DD's (cabbage, mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower - high water, low calorie vegetables); he may eat as little as 5 tablespoons of MCT oil. His latest success was with about 3 T. of MCT oil (spread out through the day) and two hard boiled eggs.

At the beginning of the week, we count up the DD's for the work week (3 for MWF and 2 for T/Thurs) and make sure we have enough food prepared for the UD's that are left for the week. Neither of us eats anything at work on DD's.

Overall, it has been a positive experience for DH. Just make sure he is really - I mean, really - a willing participant. While you want to be there to help him, make sure he is making his own decisions, with as much guidance as he wants you to provide.

Last edited by gharkness; 06-03-2012 at 08:48 AM..
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #6

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
My Dh is following along with me. We each track calorie on our phone. In 6 weeks he is Down 20 pounds !!! His goal is to lose 10 more by our trip to TX in late July. I am so proud of him!!! He loves JUDDD
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Manday
Stats: 250/233/130 5'3"
Start Date: 4/19/2012
I will be watching this with interest and I hope you will let us know how he handles it. I am trying to get my hubby to do this, too, but he flat refuses. I think it would be perfect for him since he only eats once a day anyway, but he is under the impression that calories eaten out of my sight do not count (and that I cannot possibly know that he's doing it). He also loves salads so I just don't understand why he won't do it with me. Oh well, I hope you and your DH have good luck and great success!
Manday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
he may eat as little as 5 tablespoons of MCT oil. His latest success was with about 3 T. of MCT oil (spread out through the day) and two hard boiled eggs.
That is so cool!!!
I'm into low-volume foods on DDs (and in general). Although I love salads, eating piles of veggies often gives me digestive problems. I can only eat small salads & small amounts of steamed or stir-fried veggies, with regular meals.

Is your husband familiar with the Shangri-La Diet?
It involves eating (a tbsp of) oil on an empty stomach; the trick is, you can't have any "flavors" for a certain period of time (I think it's an hour) before and after the oil--no coffee, gum, flavored drinks/teas/sodas even if they're zero-calorie.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 06-03-2012 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: ETA: (a tbsp of)
Old 06-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharkness View Post
Overall, it has been a positive experience for DH. Just make sure he is really - I mean, really - a willing participant. While you want to be there to help him, make sure he is making his own decisions, with as much guidance as he wants you to provide.
What great advice! Thank you I understand what you are saying about pushing men as we have been down that road before but he came to me this morning and said he wanted to try it without me even mentioning it to him. He knows he needs to lose weight and I guess seeing me succeed when I haven't really done well on any other diet is a selling point for him. We got ************ on his phone today and stocked up on food even though today is a DD (to match my DD) and tomorrow will be an up day.

I'm really excited for him and hope we both have lots of success. I will keep you updated. BTW I reached a new low this morning DURING TOM. How cool is that?
Old 06-04-2012, 07:02 AM   #10

Trust the JUDDD system, it works great! Way to go Elise! When I told my DH about JUDDD and that I wanted to try it out, he was all about it. He has done really great and loves it. As a MAN, he has lost quickly and can even be more flexible with the calories than I can! I think he is like most here, he LOVES the freedom of no planning for DD's. HE and I each have our "go to" meal plans for breakfast and lunch, then Dinner we typically eat a bunch of veggies together. I can tell you, OUR GROCERY bill is noticing too! Now, what we are saving in groceries, we may have to spend on clothes. DH is getting into a weight he hasn't seen since I was pregnant with our first child...who turns 14 in December!!!! Yesterday , to church, he wore a pair of pants he couldn't even remember when he could actually fit into them! He loves this...plus he works in his beverage calories on BOTH days if he wants.

Monica -Come see my journey!
Old 06-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi, I talked to ds's grandpa today...he was recently complaining about weight he gained over the winter & since he retired. I told him about JUDDD & ESE (eat stop eat). He has lost 6 or 7lbs; he says about 1lb/week & he's really happy with that.

He eats normally one day then fasts until dinner the next. I don't think he's counting calories. However, he's not significantly overweight...used to run marathons...but was getting a bit of a belly.

Last edited by piratejenny; 06-04-2012 at 05:22 PM..
Old 06-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhioGuy
Stats: 6'2'' 370 atkins to 355 then JUDDD
WOE: Good bye LC, Hello Juddd
Start Date: 3/5/2012 atkins intro JUDDD 3/29/12
yeah, i post all over here, the guy of the group i think, and try my best to annoy everyone. im 6'2'', a couple years older than your DH and bigger.
i started on LC and then moved to Juddd. I lost that first initial water loss with LC and as before, stalled out. moved to juddd and its changed every bit about how i eat and more.

i like to experiment with Juddd a lot too.
but my one suggestion would be to have him start as low as he can deal with for the introduction and after that bump it up!! im at 35% and lose much better than when i was at 20%. i also still eat a lot of bad foods... a lot.

feel free to ask away or pm me as others have.
OhioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
My DH started low carbing with me shortly after I started, because he was impressed with the wonderful food I was eating and the weight loss. He lost about 80 pounds that way, easily. This was over eight years ago. He's been my best diet buddy all along. When I did hCG, he jumped right on board and lost more weight, too. We were both stuck about 15 pounds above where we'd like to be, and extra rounds of hCG weren't getting us there.

I decided to try JUDDD, and he jumped right in. He doesn't like to count calories, so he actually doesn't. Like me, he's gotten into the habit of just eating certain foods in certain amounts on DDs, although he can eat at a little higher level on DDs than I can. On UDs, he's able to eat what he wants, just like I can, and maintain the losses. We're both in a very happy place, thanks to JUDDD.

I'm sure your DH will do well, too. Losing weight is very motivating.
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #14

Laurie, your before and after pictures are amazing! Both of you look like completely different people. Way to go!!!!!
Old 06-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
Laurie, your before and after pictures are amazing! Both of you look like completely different people. Way to go!!!!!
Thanks so much!
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #16

Elise - Dh and I had our weekly weigh in just this morning. In 7 weeks on JUDDD he has lost 24.8 pounds. I can say, he calculates calories most days and I think he tries to follow closely, but I know there are up days that he just says, oh well and doesn't track it. I would say he has been very successful!
Old 06-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Thanks so much everyone for your replies. I can't tell if my husband is going to stick with it or not yet but he has been actively counting his calories and is doing really well. I guess its been a little over a week on JUDDD and he is down about 8 lbs (men are annoying ). Because he loves pizza so much and hasn't had any on low carb in a while, I keep showing him Ohioguy's posts about pizza and beer and then his amazing results. That seems to bolster his mood a lot

Last edited by brewstate; 06-09-2012 at 06:49 PM..
Old 06-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
I'm having a lot of trouble getting my DH to eat up to his UD calories! If I get up and make something for him that he is really in the mood for maybe he will eat it. I had to buy him some candy bars for his UD to supplement his calories which are around 2200. He doesn't really need to lose more than 10-15 lbs but he's a big guy at 6ft 3in. It's getting exhausting trying to get him to eat lol. Any suggestions?
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

What's his typical UD menu, and about how many calories does he need?

I love ghee...I make my own and make it nice & super-brown....I eat a lc waffle or piece of toast with ghee to up calories. Last night I had toast & ghee & Nutella! (But usually I avoid bread & sugar.)

I also make my own sf peanut butter cups...it's very easy with silicone muffin cups. And I recently discovered "Fat Bombs" lol.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...fat-bombs.html
My experiments are in post 43.

Last edited by piratejenny; 06-10-2012 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: add link
Old 06-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewstate View Post
Thanks so much everyone for your replies. I can't tell if my husband is going to stick with it or not yet but he has been actively counting his calories and is doing really well. I guess its been a little over a week on JUDDD and he is down about 8 lbs (men are annoying ). Because he loves pizza so much and hasn't had any on low carb in a while, I keep showing him Ohioguy's posts about pizza and beer and then his amazing results. That seems to bolster his mood a lot
TOTALLY AGREE! That is the only negative about DH doing this along with me. I am down 11.6 and in that same time he is down 24.8 more than DOUBLE! That part is frustrating and I would love to just SHAKE him! Congrats to your DH!

Last edited by zipp2play; 06-11-2012 at 07:47 AM..
Old 06-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffabuff View Post
I'm having a lot of trouble getting my DH to eat up to his UD calories! If I get up and make something for him that he is really in the mood for maybe he will eat it. I had to buy him some candy bars for his UD to supplement his calories which are around 2200. He doesn't really need to lose more than 10-15 lbs but he's a big guy at 6ft 3in. It's getting exhausting trying to get him to eat lol. Any suggestions?
Does he enjoy alcohol at all? That is how my DH gets to his UD calories. Beer or a mixed drink or two. If I have the spare, he will enjoy a glass of wine or 2 with me as well! Honestly, the reason my DH has stuck with this and done so well is he doesn't have to give up his beer! He has 2 or 3 and with the UD being so generous, he doesn't drink the light crap that he didn't really like anyway!