Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
June Daily Chat Thread - Come on in!

I saw a couple of mentions of needing a June thread, so here you go!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Thanks Dawn!

Opening night went great. It was a smaller crowd, but they were appreciative and laughed and clapped in all the right places. Once more tonight. Cast party after, and of course it's a dd. They'll be serving pizza though, so I'll be able to do ok (allergic to dairy and wheat gives me horrible gas/bloating issues, sorry tmi). I plan to bring my grain free vegan brownies so I can nibble on something. Another cast member is allergic to eggs and dairy, so she'll be able to have these too.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Okay, here goes. Bizarrely, this also sorta belongs on the NSV thread. I had what might be only my second UUAD yesterday. The first one was just bad planning, but this was a crazily excessive food bender, the kind of episode that helps me identify with alcoholics and other addicts. I don't know whether it'd look like that from outside, but in my head, it was a bender. Anyway, it wasn't pretty. Four bizillion calories and twelve hours later, I hardly recognize myself. I used to agonize for days when that happened, often sliding into another self-destructive day or week.
Today, I'm ... happy! I'm sipping tea and thinking about a movie this afternoon after shopping for what will be a lovely DD dinner.
I don't even know how to explain this. I think it has something to do with how easy it is to just get back into rotation with Juddd. And maybe knowing how good a good DD can feel (they're not all great, but most feel good). Maybe, too, there's some good effect from having invested in myself every day for the last six weeks. It's like I've said, yup, I love this body, every day for long enough that the self-deprecating stuff I felt yesterday couldn't hang on for too long. Not sure.
Anyway, it's a little JUDDD miracle and I am EXTREMELY grateful. And human. And proud of myself.
Long story. Thanks to everyone here. Such a special place.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
WOE: JUDDD
Kristin. It's so great that our head heals as much as anything else with this style of eating, isn't it? Tomorrow really IS another day and it's easier to pick ourselves up and go forward, not dwell on the past and make things worse. I'm enjoying the mental changes every bit as much (maybe more) than the physical changes. When it's easier to love ourselves we tend to be more loving toward others.

Tina, so glad to hear your performance went well last night! I bet it was a lot of fun. Taking the brownies tonight is a good idea and I bet the other gal will be happy you did, too.
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #5

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Glad you enjoyed the show Tina, I did a lot of that when I was younger, used to act, sing, sew, paint scenery, do props, everything really, even directed once.

What a great step forward Kristin, I am delighted that the 'mind' is enjoying your success too. I love the power of a good DD, it makes me happy too.

Sheridan, why did I ever take the 'tomorrow real is another day' out of my Siggie? It is such a good reminder to us all. In fact I am off to add it again, right now. Thanks for the reminder.

This "When it's easier to love ourselves we tend to be more loving toward others." is just lovely.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ack-juddd.html
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Tina, glad opening went well. Hoping closing night is fabulous. (I just saw the film version of Christopher Plummer's stage performance of Barrymore. It blew my mind. What an actor!)
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Alania
Stats: 196/185/130
Start Date: September 2014
Kristin, I love that attitude. I feel the same way about JUDDD. I feel 'calm' about being on a diet that I have never felt with any other plan I have tried.

I really feel like my life and outlook on it has changed since starting JUDDD. Crazy but true.
Alania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:49 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I have been researching pancake recipes using coconut flour and other things. I love flaxseed pancakes but wanted something different but wheat free. Tried a recipe that got all kind of rave reviews on the mainboard recipe forum. AWFUL barely describes them. One bite and that was enough. Trash can and I poured the batter down the drain. I will stick to flaxseed pancakes from now on. Not worth the wasted ingredients.
Strange how some people love a dish and others find it unedible. Plus the scale was up this morning still but then I had a few too many dill pickles on my DD yesterday. Lots of water and lemon will take care of that though.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
158/152/139 JUDDD 10/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #9

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Sorry those didn't work out Adi, as I have some coconut flour lurking in my pantry too. Don't know what to do with it now that I don't Low Carb.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Cindy - I bought the coconut flour to try to make a bread that was edible that was wheat free. I have wasted most of the bag with results the yard dog doesn't even deserve. Guess I need to go back to the old flax meal stand by that was doable. So much for experimenting. I even like revolution rolls so maybe I just need to keep using them.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

I've found with coconut flour, a little is better than more, and it works much better in combination with other flours. If you are subbing it in for something else, you only need about 1/2 as much because it sucks up moisture and expands. It can also be hard to get baked goods done enough if there's a lot of coconut flour in them. I have a few recipes that use it, but it's certainly not the main flour.

And most coconut flour recipes use a ton of eggs (that moisture thing), so I can't use those.

But I do go through a fair amount of it in the few recipes I've found that I like.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/192/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
My mom is gluten intolerant and buys this brand on amazon and combines it with other GF flours like almond, coconut, tapioca, bob's red mill, etc (not all at the same time or whatever she has on hand and has had great results with making bread. As mentioned, the secret to really good GF bread is combining several different flours together, otherwise it always tastes off.

: Pamela's Products Amazing Wheat Free &: Grocery & Gourmet...: Pamela's Products Amazing Wheat Free &: Grocery & Gourmet...
brewstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Tina - you are right about the eggs. My pancakes had the strangest texture and tasted awful so I didn't get anything right. I tried coconut flour several years ago and I now remember I ended up throwing the bag away. I have some Bob's gluten free bake mix in the freezer. Might as well try that out and see what happens. Better yet, I need to stick to the tried and true flaxseed pancakes I have enjoyed for years. New isn't always better.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Here's what the Bob's Red Mill label says: "You can replace up to 20% of the flour called for in a recipe with coconut flour, adding an equivalent amount of additional liquid to the recipe."

Also, I find that while some of the low-carb or gluten free recipes result in dreadful pancakes, muffins, etc, the same batter produces a great waffle.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:17 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Buttercup204
Stats: 204/197/165
WOE: NK/JUDDD
I never had much luck working with coconut flour either. Luckily I didn't invest much money in it so I had no problem parting with it...haha!

Anyone find that if they were on low carb before JUDDD that when and if you add in carbs or have an especially carby UD that you stop losing? That seems to be my problem. I'm still experimenting but we'll see. I ate a bit more carbs this weekend while away just to see what would happen. It's odd. I wonder if low carbing so long (two and a half years) made me more sensitive to carbs...anyways...

I wish my weekends could last longer! Back to the grind tomorrow! Ugh! But I think I need a rest from my vacation/time off lol.

-Michelle
2nd Mini-goal: 190
3rd Mini-goal: 185
4th Mini-goal: 180
5th Mini-goal: 175
6th Mini -goal: 170
Goal: 155-165 & size 8/10 or whatever weight gets rid of my wobbly bits!
Buttercup204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/155/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Been lc'ing and now thinking about JUDDD

I keep losing the same 10 pounds or so, then gaining them back and I'm getting tired of it...I really need to lose at least 50 pounds and I'm way overdue. I think the old saying, "stupidity is doing the same thing and expecting different results."

I've been on the other forums but thought I'd come here to ask a couple of questions...how important is it to read the book. I keep telling others who are requesting info about LC to always "read the book." But, JUDDD seems pretty straight forward so I wonder if it's necessary, in your opinion.

I'm still trying to get a grip on what the down day foods should be, or is it better to just fast? The recommendation for me is about 330 kcals, so can I stretch that up to 500 or so, particularly since I'll just be starting?

There doesn't seem to be much info on the net about this WOE, so any recommendations? I've lurked here for the last few days and will continue to do so, but it seems like this group, like most on LCF, are extremely helpful for newbies.

Thanks for any suggestions, mary in socal
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:44 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Buttercup204
Stats: 204/197/165
WOE: NK/JUDDD
Mary, I have the book but most of the useful information is on the website (do a search for Johnson's up day down day diet). Also check out the sticky's at the top of the JUDDD forum. Very helpful info there too! The book just goes into more detail and explains some of the science behind the diet and there are DD recipes in it also but I think the concept is easy enough and simple enough that most people "get it" and can just start by doing research online. There's also a helpful calorie calculator on the Dr's website that I find helpful but I recommend using the sedentary or low activity as it tends to overestimate activity calories in my opinion. Good luck, welcome and feel free to browse the forums and ask questions!

I almost forgot to answer one of your questions, sorry! I like to stick to low carb and low cal foods on my DDs but I have fasted also though that doesn't do as well for me. I overeat late at night if I do that. I find I do best with watered down protein shakes that I drink throughout the day, about every 2hours. It keeps me on track and the hunger at bay. Some people love lots of veggies and soups and such but I just get more hungry if I do too many veggies. I stick with protein and a smidge of fat (like cream in my coffee in the am). That gets me through most DDs successfully. Well, that and the change I hope for on the scale the next morning lol. Beyond that, just remember your next UD is never more than a day away!
-Michelle

Last edited by Buttercup204; 06-04-2012 at 12:50 AM..
Buttercup204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:55 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/192/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
Hi Mary, just like you I'm coming from LC and started not too long ago. Humorously enough I thought I was a slow loser but BOY OH BOY does JUDD work. I'm at a new low and headed down. I eat anywhere from 300ish calories on a DD to 500 focusing on mostly fresh vegetables and some low cal dressing plus light cheese sticks etc. There is no "set" limit for you low calories for the day it really just depends on your body and how fast you want to lose. Most people start out at 500 and lose fine. I don't find JUDD too hard but in the past I've tried to fast with IF and found that it was too restrictive for me. My choices aren't great but at least I can eat something. I also try to push my breakfast back as far as I can to get a good jump on the day before I eat.

I don't have the book but have read enough here to get the idea and have been learning along the way (its a really SIMPLE plan which is great)

Its not that bad even on DD (i'm actually beginning to enjoy them but the first is HARD) and this WOE combined with LC is the best thing I have ever found for weight loss. I'm not the most expert one to answer all your questions but I'll do my best so ask away! This is a very friendly group of people.

Last edited by brewstate; 06-04-2012 at 04:58 AM..
brewstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/155/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Thanks for the response, sure appreciate the suggestions. Yep, I've read the stickies and gone to Johnson's website as I read everything; heck, I used to read the cereal boxes as a kid. This WOE sounds like it would work for me and since I'm at a new high on weight, I guess I'd better. I spent two months losing seven pounds and gained it all back plus some this last week. So, I'll be lurking for sure and you will be seeing me on this forum.

Thanks again...mary
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
Mary, for what it's worth, I can't keep the book in my house for people wanting to borrow it! I am very pleased with my purchase of the book, especially if I want to talk intelligently with others about my WOE, and tell them about the studies, the proofs, the health improvements that are documented, etc. (I don't like anyone criticizing my WOE unless I can immediately give them a rebuttal!!! )

But, seriously, I have some family members who deal with athsma, for instance, and other health problems, and I can show them in the book how other people have been helped by this WOE. Plus, it encourages me to really understand from the book how my own health is improving.

Right now, when I think about the most recent person who has borrowed my book, I'm wondering why don't I just tell her it is my gift. She has health concerns I don't have and I love her - I can pick up another one on Amazon for a song. Even the hardcover is so cheap if I'll consider the used ones - $4 plus shipping.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
On Monday morning, on my way to a doctor's appt, I got hit by a dump truck that pulled out of a driveway less than 50ft in front of me. I had no time to do anything--not even scream. I was afraid that if I hit the brakes (it had been raining all morning), I would fishtail and smack myself against the side of the truck, with nothing but the driver's side door between us. The front of my car went under the truck a bit; I think I hit the front wheels with my bumper, then got run over a little by the rear wheels--when they backed the truck up, my car lifted up several inches.

I think the fact that my car sort of went UNDER the truck saved me from worse injuries; I didn't crash into anything really solid, IYKWIM. I opened my eyes and couldn't believe I wasn't bleeding or paralyzed--or dead!!! All I have is 3 massive bruises and sore neck/chest/arm/shoulder muscles--mostly from the seatbelt and airbag!!! Plus a little twinge in my neck which I hope will go away...but I don't even have a headache from all this!!! Unbelievable!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camry.jpg (47.1 KB, 37 views)
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

PJ, yikes!! Here's to a smooth, uneventful recovery.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #23

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Whew. Thank goodness it wasn't much worse.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
DAWN!!! WOW!!! Just admiring your new Ticker Numbers!!!
NoWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
PirateJenny, thank God you are okay!
NoWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/low carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Omg PirateJenny, I'm glad you're ok! Please take care while recovering!
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #27

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
Pirate Jenny, that is awful to go through. I am so happy you were not seriously injured! Please update us on how you are feeling!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
WOW!

Hope you heal up quickly.
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

PJ! I'm so sorry you went through that, and SO glad you are ok. You should see a chiro NOW about your stiffness/soreness and get it documented that it was from the accident. Even if you don't go back now, if something crops up a month from now, you will want to have it on record that you DO have injuries related to the accident.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
I was injured at church this spring when someone opened a door behind me and I fell down some cement steps. This happened on a Wednesday night and I thought I was okay, but ended up going to acute care, then the ER and then the hospital on Saturday. I had a crushed vertebrae from it. Sure hope you heal quickly, but you maybe should get checked out.
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote