Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 06:25 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: RenoMom
Start Date: 4/29/13
Best appetite suppresent evah!

JUDDD!

I can always eat, I dont need to be hungry to eat I love the taste of food.
This has been my downfall over the years.

Well yesterday was an UD and my DD before was pretty low under 300.
I could not get myself to eat yesterday, nothing sounded good I was just not hungry at all. I had a good breakfast but only some watermelon the rest of the day. Dinner was light homemade beef/broccoli, I was left with a lot of calories so I "MADE" myself eat a hot fudge sundae from McDonlds.

I was still a few hundred shy on calories yesterday, but I actually lost a pound after an UD

" Give God what's right, not what's left"
RenoMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tag425
Stats: 160/127/120
WOE: JUDDD since 5/12
Start Date: Hcg 4/12. JUDD 5/12
I also struggle to get in all calories on UD, but I have never lost wt after an UD. You are doing great!
Tag425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cuttie99
Stats: 5'2 171
WOE: post hcg, lost 60lbs
Start Date: Juddd 4/30, restarted 11/30
arlene I am very impressed with your wt loss!!! woo hoo
cuttie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
WTG! Yay for hunger suppression! I think I've only lost after an UD one time. It is so great when it happens.

But make sure you plan better for your next UD. Make some coconut oil bark, add extra butter or olive oil to your veggies, eat a handful or 2 of nuts. You can get by with being under once in a while on your UD's, but doing that consistently can def cause you to stall as your body perceives a famine that isn't ending, and slips into conservation rather than burning mode.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh I agree, thats why I ate the Sundae to upp the cals, I really try to get those number close to on poit both days.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abby
Stats: 5'7";197_'09;167/139/132_'12
WOE: LC/VLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
You can get by with being under once in a while on your UD's, but doing that consistently can def cause you to stall as your body perceives a famine that isn't ending, and slips into conservation rather than burning mode.
I know that EVERYONE says that, but I haven't found it to be the case in my own experience. If I were using JUDDD for weight loss, my numbers would be around 2000/400 averaging 1200 cal/day.

With Stillman, I generally take in only 700 cal/day, some days 500-600 cal, but continue to lose around 2.5 lbs/week consistently (when I don't CHEAT!!!!!). My intake is also high-protein, low fat, VLC which some here might consider a "starvation" mode. Yet, you can't argue with the results. Even at an average of only 600 cal/day, I've never slipped into a "conservation" mode.

While there certainly are temporary stalls on all diets, I don't know that one must reach up to their "normal calorie" number on every UD. JMHO............

Good Luck,
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Congratulations!

Do you 'feel' something different? There is a good chance you have achieved sirtuin saturation. Which may mean you will now join our happy little crew of 'how do I get those extra calories in when I am not hungry?' singers. And may mean the NSVs are going to start accumulating as unexpected and healthy changes begin happening all over your bod.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
I know that EVERYONE says that, but I haven't found it to be the case in my own experience. If I were using JUDDD for weight loss, my numbers would be around 2000/400 averaging 1200 cal/day.

With Stillman, I generally take in only 700 cal/day, some days 500-600 cal, but continue to lose around 2.5 lbs/week consistently (when I don't CHEAT!!!!!). My intake is also high-protein, low fat, VLC which some here might consider a "starvation" mode. Yet, you can't argue with the results. Even at an average of only 600 cal/day, I've never slipped into a "conservation" mode.

While there certainly are temporary stalls on all diets, I don't know that one must reach up to their "normal calorie" number on every UD. JMHO............

Good Luck,
Just goes to prove that we are all truly different. I'm so glad you have found what works for you. I know when I was doing just paleo, I usually took in about 1100 calories/day. I lost very well on that for 4 months, and then completely stalled. After 2 mos I switched to Juddd, and after a couple weeks of healing, started losing again. Now, if I drop below 1500 on an UD for more than a couple of UD's in a row, I not only stall, I GAIN.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
Now, if I drop below 1500 on an UD for more than a couple of UD's in a row, I not only stall, I GAIN.
Very, very, interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad that JUDDD has worked so well for you. I plan to shift to it for maintenance soon. I'll experiment with varying my calorie intake on UDs and see how my body performs. If I was "rewarded" with weight GAIN for taking in only 1600 calories on an UD, I don't know that I'd be able to stick with the program. It's just against my nature to force myself to eat when I'm not hungry; I doubt that I could hit 2000 calories on a regular basis.

Best of Luck,
Old 06-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Abby, you are not taking into account the sirtuin we produce when we do JUDDD as recommended. It is not just about the average of our calories, it is about the difference in calories between the DDs and the UDs.

Stillman's is a great weight loss plan and it is clearly working wonderfully well for you. But lot's of people stall on consistent low calories. That is why JUDDD is different.

I doubt your number on maintenance would be as high as 2000, Not if you are slim as you already appear to be in your stats.

Last edited by Kissa; 06-02-2012 at 11:07 AM..
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:

Good Luck,
I guess I am confused. Are you doing JUDDD and doing Stillman too??? If not, JUDDD is so totally dependent on the UD/DD rotation and the wide swing between DD's and UD's. For myself, I also have high UD's and lose consistently but I have NO TROUBLE at all making those numbers. And I do not force myself to eat. JUDDD works in many ways.

Example: I tried fasting on DD's and did not lose any faster or better than consuming a minimum of 340 calories on DD's. I just knew I would lose at a much faster pace. Wrong. I tried lowering UD's and no faster weightloss so I decided to eat all I can and still lose and be a happy camper. Calorie levels seem to be a very personal thing.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CatherineA
WOE: formerly LC; trying JUDDD 2322.464
Start Date: 5/4/12
That's fantastic Reno Mom.....you gotta go with what WORKS!!
CatherineA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:

Good Luck,
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I guess I am confused. Are you doing JUDDD and doing Stillman too??? .
From other threads/posts, I've gathered that Abby is not doing JUDDD but is considering it for maintenance.

Abby, I do congratulate you on your progress with Stillman's but there are many people here with metabolic disorders who have found that calorie-cycling has been much more effective for them than daily calorie restriction.

If you haven't tried JUDDD yet, I think it's premature for you to be questioning or critiquing people's UD calorie numbers. I feel a bit rude saying that, but I've been reading this JUDDD board diligently since October, and everybody has to find their own "sweet spot" with UD/DD calories. IMO, it's more helpful for newbies to get advice from people who have done some experimenting than from someone who hasn't tried yet.

***My apologies if I have misunderstood, and you HAVE done JUDDD at some point!***

Also, there are health benefits associated with intermittent fasting plans such as JUDDD--even when NOT used for weight loss--that are not necessarily experienced with a plan such as Stillman's. Benefits as diverse as reduced inflammation and improved short-term memory! Eating the UD calories helps the body stay nourished and function optimally.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 06-02-2012 at 01:14 PM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

No offense taken, Pirate. You're correct. I'm going to have to experiment on my own when I start JUDDD for maintenance.

I'm simply saying that on Stillman, I've had 500 calories days (DD by JUDDD standards) followed by 800 calorie days ("unsuccessful" UD in JUDDD terms) and have continued to LOSE weight. My takeaway, for what it's worth, is that folks who fall "short" on UD can still see weight loss on JUDDD.

Good Luck,
Old 06-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
But isn't Stillman only lean protein which is a different aspect entirely?
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Thank you for understanding, Abby.

The thing is, the JUDDD calculator is not infallible for every single person. Some people DO have to eat a bit less or even a lot less than the calculator says. Others find their weight loss speeds up when they add a couple hundred calories, or, conversely, that they gain weight when they (even unintentionally) subtract the same amount. (mykidsteacher has a really good example of the latter situation somewhere around here.)

One potential advantage, though, to eating up to one's calories as much as possible, is that in maintenance one's metabolism will be "hotter"!

For example, let's say a person's UD "sweet spot" is 2000. They eat 1800 during WLM in hopes of speeding up their loss. Then when they get to maintenance they have to be very careful of not going over their UD #s (which might be lower, due to losing significant weight) while a person who "challenged" their UD #s burns up extra calories easily, and might even have a higher UD #!!!

(I have a long way to go, myself, but these are general conclusions from observing other JUDDDers in the last 7 months or so.)

PS--sorry for getting off subject, RenoMom! I'm so happy for your appetite suppression and your loss after an UD!

Last edited by piratejenny; 06-02-2012 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: corrections, PS
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Quote:
No offense taken, Pirate. You're correct. I'm going to have to experiment on my own when I start JUDDD for maintenance.

I'm simply saying that on Stillman, I've had 500 calories days (DD by JUDDD standards) followed by 800 calorie days ("unsuccessful" UD in JUDDD terms) and have continued to LOSE weight. My takeaway, for what it's worth, is that folks who fall "short" on UD can still see weight loss on JUDDD.

Good Luck,
My rate of loss is much better when I eat up to my UD calories based on the JUDDD calculator when I first started (34 pounds ago). As I lost weight I thought I should also adjust the UD calories based on current weight and when I went lower, I danced around the same numbers for quite a while. Only when I went back to my original UD numbers did I see any downward movement on the scale. So I'm losing well still using my 2,000 (actually a little more) calories every other day.

But this is a very natural way of eating for me. For three decades my average weight was 130-135. I'm 5'8", so that's slender. I'd eat big, whatever I wanted as much as I wanted. The next day or so I'd be "very careful" and pick around at my food or completely go without.

I've always been a big eater. I'm older now and realize I may at some point need to cut down on UD calories in order to lose, but I hope I don't. I want to have plenty of calories to play with once I reach maintenance. This is not anything like a "diet plan" to me; it's a return to how my body functioned best for many, many years. YMMV.
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Sheridan, sounds like you were "JUDDDing" before there was even a JUDDD.......
Old 06-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Sheridan,
Now that is inspiring! Thanks,
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Yep. I was JUDDDing before it had a formal name. But I wasn't the only one I knew who lived this way, not by a long shot. Several of my my contemporaries and a few women I admired with slim figures who were older (sometimes *much older) than I ate this way, too. It was just how they managed their weight, "have your cake and eat it, too". And I like "cake". I had no clue about the associated health benefits. Just knew I was very healthy, always felt GOOD!, and didn't have to worry about my weight, nor did any of the others I knew who ate this way.

When I first started reading the threads about JUDDD, it was like deja vu, and even more so when I started. It's easy for me, and I really hope I can help others so they find it easy, too. That's why I'm so excited whenever I see a familiar LCF face like Arlene come over here and ask questions and show an interest. I know the struggles most of us here have.

Changing the way I ate for so long is the single biggest regret I have, even more than marrying my ex (and that is saying a LOT!) Coming home to it is one of the top two best things I've ever done for myself to improve my quality of life and health.
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks ladies..

I tried low calorie for months my Endo kept telling me take in less etc. I was eating between 800-850 every single day. I'd lose 1 gain 2 back and forth, nothing good came of it. This is why I was leary of starting Juddd, you remember my 1st post :Can "I" lose weight on Juddd? With my hypothyroid it has been a God send, I know 10+ pounds a month is not record speeds but for me its incredable. Funny how bouncing is so normal for Judder's but for me I bounced way more doing other plans.

Im happy, and I hope it continues, and I will keep doing things the way they were written until they stop working for me, then and only then will I adjust. Of course not without consulting all of my Juddd Buds first
Old 06-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Abby I have to agree with pirate Jenny. I often see your posts challenging our woe while you seem not to have done any homework on the subject. Your " take away" as you referred to it in your last post stating how we can not eat up to our UD calories and still lose weight is not accurate as a rule. Perhaps it has happened as an anomaly here and there but it certainly is not recommended for success on this woe. I am thrilled for you that Stillmans is working so well for you!!! Perhaps it would help you to understand Juddd if you were to actually go online or to some of our stickies and learn about our woe. This will also undoubtly serve your best interests should you decide to do Juddd for your maintence. I'm sure then you will have something positive to offer.
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote