Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IThinkICan
Stats: 218/142-144/145
WOE: HCG-R5P4 JUDDD
Throwing Carbs into the Picture...

I'm basically just maintaining now that I met goal, but I'm trying to figure out how best to add carbs to my new WOE.

I've been basically low carb on DDs and UDs... I usually have at least one apple every day, and sometimes I throw in a few berries or half a peach at some other point in the day. Here and there I might have *a bite* of something - like fresh bread with butter or a Hershey kiss. I've been baking with coconut flour to make some low carb muffins which helps at home a lot...

We've got family around though, who like to prepare big meals (former chefs)... and they fear coming to my house at meal times because I might feed them "diet food" (like mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes or something). When we go to their houses, we get limited food options because they know we've been on "diets," and I'm kinda getting tired of always being fed roasted chicken when I know the former chefs can cook a lot more than that! I just want to slowly get my body used to a little pasta or rice or bread or coatings... and a few desserts as well! Plus going out to eat with friends can be awkward - like ordering pizza and eating the toppings off? In the privacy of my own home fine, but with others, I need to be able to eat the crust! And must I always pass on the toast and pancakes and oatmeal when being served breakfast?

I'm just wondering how it may be best to do this carb introduction....

only UDs? both UDs & DDs? does time of day matter? only carbs with proteins? only carbs with low fats? cut out my daily apple if I'm having a slightly sugary dessert? keep the carbs to one meal? spread a few carbs out throughout the day? etc......

Any thoughts based on science and/or personal experiences? Do I just have to dive in and expect the scale to rise from a more constant increased water retention? Or is there anything else anyone can suggest?
IThinkICan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2012, 04:45 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
It really all comes down to how much do you want to avoid the water "gain" and how sensitive you are to carbs. Do you want to have them completely unrestricted, or do you prefer to still keep them low?

I knew I wanted to have unrestricted eating (other than calories). I took a weekend off of dieting when I came to JUDDD. I dove right in, ate whatever I wanted, and gained 2.8 pounds over the weekend. That Monday morning I started JUDDD and counted that morning's weight as my JUDDD start weight. To be fair, I don't have any sensitivity to carbs and never did. I don't get out of control cravings, and I'm not a sugar fiend. I can often take or leave the sweet stuff.

Others have added back one thing at a time and watched how they reacted. If they were okay with it, they added back another item a week or two later. It works for them, but is way too restrictive for me.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:32 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

How do you figure out the difference between a sensitivity to carbs and just normal water retention from carbs?

This far, the only key thing I can figure out is I can't eat potatoes. Yes, I get that rise on the scale after eating potatoes... but I also figured out that potatoes were the cause of my itchy-rash-covered hands that I struggled with most of my life. I also know from testing my blood sugar while with gestational diabetes that I see a spike in my blood sugar after eating potatoes - so that doesn't look like a good sign either.

The fact I had GD is my other concern - true it was mild, and after that pregnancy I wasn't even in the "pre-diabetic" category, but I don't know if this part of my past is any indicator of lifelong carb sensitivity? I have never had a period of time since then where I could lose or maintain weight with carbs... thoughin all fairness, when I tried WW again, I barely stuck with it a week or two because I didn't like the scale rising (which was probably from reintroducing carbs)... so I don't know if the scale would've started going back down if I stuck with it.

I don't need a license to go crazy and eat a carb-filled life... Just trying to be able to have a sandwich here or there or some oatmeal or grits without fear... part of daily life or every-other-day life, perhaps? Just not potatoes...
Old 05-31-2012, 06:37 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Add one carb item at a time an then evaulate. Example - have oatmeal for breakfast and see how it goes.
I just jumped in and added all kinds of carbs back. I was sick of not being able to have anything that everyone else was having so when I get to maintenance I have no worries since I have been eating carbs all along my weightloss journey.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Ithinkican,
I like experimenting slowly.
Example: I eat 1 slice of bread, I feel hungover in the morning. So, not time for that yet.
I eat berries and any veggies, the world goes on and I feel healthy and euphorically normal. These are good.
I eat chocolate covered salt caramels, and have to restrain myself from eating everything in my fridge, my cupboards, off my lovely man's plate, and from my dog's bowl. This is not science, granted, but I conclude I am not completely ready for the whammo sugar hit from the chocolates.
Long story. Summary? I now try one new thing at a time and see he it goes for a day or two.
And I intend to be eating the chocolates before long like the NORMAL person I'm becoming with this WOE.
Enjoy the trip. I'd love to learn from you by hearing the results of your own experiments!

Last edited by Joyjoy; 05-31-2012 at 07:21 AM..
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by IThinkICan View Post
How do you figure out the difference between a sensitivity to carbs and just normal water retention from carbs?

This far, the only key thing I can figure out is I can't eat potatoes. Yes, I get that rise on the scale after eating potatoes... but I also figured out that potatoes were the cause of my itchy-rash-covered hands that I struggled with most of my life. I also know from testing my blood sugar while with gestational diabetes that I see a spike in my blood sugar after eating potatoes - so that doesn't look like a good sign either.

The fact I had GD is my other concern - true it was mild, and after that pregnancy I wasn't even in the "pre-diabetic" category, but I don't know if this part of my past is any indicator of lifelong carb sensitivity? I have never had a period of time since then where I could lose or maintain weight with carbs... thoughin all fairness, when I tried WW again, I barely stuck with it a week or two because I didn't like the scale rising (which was probably from reintroducing carbs)... so I don't know if the scale would've started going back down if I stuck with it.

I don't need a license to go crazy and eat a carb-filled life... Just trying to be able to have a sandwich here or there or some oatmeal or grits without fear... part of daily life or every-other-day life, perhaps? Just not potatoes...
With your history, I'd def take it slow.

I had gd too, and when I started adding in carbs, I kept a close watch on my blood sugar. At first, I got big spikes from everything (but I was paleo, no vlc, so was already eating lots of veggies, and some fruit--they did not cause any issues, except for grapes and bananas). So I went back to paleo and just stuck with it for about 2-3 mos.

Try something one day (buttered toast for breakfast). Then wait a couple days before trying something else. Make a note of any changes--gas/bloating, cravings, sleep issues, more hunger, etc.

I have found I still can't do refined sugar--big bs spikes, and makes me want to eat everything in sight and go to the store for more. But I can have a sweet potato with supper a couple nights a week. I can have berries in my morning smoothie. Apple slices with lunch. A grain free vegan muffin or cookie (I bake with a combo of coconut sugar and stevia).

I can have a small amount of wheat with no bs or craving issues, but get such gas/bloating, I've decided it's just not worth it.

Oh, and I suggest always having protein and/or fat with your carbs. It helps buffer the blood sugar spike and keep it level for longer after eating.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the responses. I like hearing what other people eating this way have to say.

I'm trying to eat a little more fruit and whole-grain type foods in small amounts - kinda spread throughout the day. I found some pita pockets (Joseph's flax, oat, fiber -something like that), which have 6g carbs, 3 g fiber... and only 45 calories, which is not bad at all! I've been eating more coconut flour baked goods which still has carbs, but not too much, and lots of fiber... and that's actually how I control my desire for bananas - made coconut flour banana mini muffins... even if I eat three in one sitting, it's only 1/4 of a banana. (I use one banana per dozen mini muffins.) Already, I think I've come a long way from where I was on Atkins - I really struggled with trying to add any fruits and grains then. I felt like I was destroying myself if I tried cooking with almond flour or eating half of an apple! Now I'm eating an entire apple each day... that's something! That's a nice habit that I think I can thank HCG for.

I'm thinking I might buy some oatmeal or grits and start having partial portions at breakfast time... along with some protein or fat... perhaps a big pat of butter on my UDs? Maybe on the side of some scrambled eggs and turkey sausage... mmmmm...