Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 2BoysMom
Stats: Too pissed to talk about it
WOE: Keeping it simple- Hi Fat, Mod Protein and Lo Carb
Start Date: 1.26.2004 - 1st time. This time 1.1.2014
I believe I had an epiphany...my longest post ever.

For those of you who have been around for a while, you know that one of my problem areas have been around travel - both business and personal. I just cannot seem to stay on track on my DD's when I don't have as many tools to control my food and when it is in abundance all around me.

Now, that's not to say I intend go crazy on them (trust me I go in with the BEST of intentions), but I as soon as I get to that place that I have eaten more than my "limit" this then leads me to be inclined to throw in the towel and go WAY overboard and then wallow in frustration. I come back 3 lbs or so heavier, and then start the journey to take that off and get back on track.

Well, I have several trips coming up, which is getting me stressed out more than you can imagine, as I feel like I am in a really good space right now - one in which the first week is business and the next 2 personal, so 3 weeks long! Argh.

Also, I noticed a lot of chatter lately about events coming up (weddings, graduations, BBQ's, parties, vacations, etc.... and how to handle them) and anyway in thinking about all of this I kind of had an "ah-ha" moment.

OK - So, we have all calculated our UD and DD cals. Now some have chosen DD cals based on the "less must be better/quicker" school of thought (warning, not always true), others have picked a number somewhere in the middle of the range, others have found a "sweet spot" that works for them and some have found what they think they can live with even if it is a bit higher.

The reality, though is - while our UD numbers are relatively static no matter what the rate of loss is we want, there is a lot of variability to that DD number depending on how we calculate it. There is also the wild-card of exercise. Let me give you an example.

I will work with my current weight instead of where I started.

(174.8 - I rounded up to 175 , 48 years old, 5'5". Now I do exercise regularly, but like most of us chose the sedentary option for purposes of this example)

20% 1796/358
25% 1796/449
30% 1796/539
35% 1796/629

Now we move onto the cusp of weight loss/maintenance:

40% 1796/718
45% 1796/808

And finally maintenance:

50% 1796/898
55% 1796/988
60% 1796/1078

Now - the reason behind this long winded demonstration is to show really what a wide range we really have with our DD's before any real damage is done. Perhaps if I normally were to be at 25% and 449 - when I go on a trip, I might be ok to instead stay in weight loss mode, but move up to 35% or 629. Hmmmm, or maybe even weight loss/maintenance - and be in the 700-800 range. Well, now that is sounding less stressful already. I could hypothetically even say that I am going into maintenance while traveling and go back into weight loss mode when I get back into a more normal routine. (THAT gives me 900ish to almost 1100 calories - yowza!)

All of those options mean I can stay on track - maybe slow down a bit, but still stay on track and in control.

My point here is that just because you have determined your "business as usual" calories to be at a certain level, doesn't mean that you can't create a new "normal" for an event or a short period of time. If you normally eat at 358 (which I can't even imagine...relatively sure I would end up gnawing on my arm), just because you go up to 600 doesn't mean you "blew it" - it means you are just eating at a different weight loss level.

Also on the topic of exercise - most of us don't "take back" (I.e. chow down) those calories - BUT that doesn't mean you can't. There are some schools of thought that actually say you should to keep the motor revving, and keep the metabolism going strong.

So, having said all this, I have a new outlook for when I travel, and plan to

1) Adjust up my DD calories. If I don't need them, no harm, no foul, go Me! Not a plan to go crazy, still staying in weight loss mode, just at the higher end. I really think this will keep me from feeling so much anxiety about the whole thing. Also if I hit maintenance levels periodically, well, that's ok, too. NOT gaining while traveling will be great, losing will be a super duper bonus.

2) Exercise whenever I can and log those calories burned. And if I need them - then I will use them! Again, if I don't need them to stay in check, then great! But if I do, I'll have them in reserve to get me through and still have a great experience. This will give me some real motivation to get into the gym at the hotel, swim some laps, go for a hike, a bike ride, a walk with my family...all that good stuff. Stuff I do regularly at home anyway, but manage to avoid when I travel - particularly for business.

Anyway, this may seem like an obvious point to most of you - but for me, I get so fixated on "that number" that I have decided is right for me that I sometimes think that I forget that it is just one within a wide range of numbers that can also be very effective, and that there are ways to earn more of them if needed and I need a bonk on the head to get myself out of tunnel vision.

I plan to copy the info above into a reminder on my phone, too, so that when I feel myself getting crazified, I can pull it out and remember...

Whew. My fingers are cramping now....

If you want something badly enough, you'll find a way. If you don't you'll find an excuse.

Team in Trainining alumni - San Diego marathon 2005. Half marathon in San Francisco 2007! Working hard to wipe out blood cancers.
2BoysMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
CC3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CC3
Stats: 5'7" - 202/198/148
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: May 2012
You might think this is weird, but I was thinking along these same lines earlier today.

I have trouble staying below 500 cals on DD during a weekend, but I do stay around 800. This was making me feel like a failure. Then a question started rattling around in my head asking, isn't 800 calories better than the mindless, random eating I used to do on the weekends?

Thanks for posting and answering my question.
CC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<275/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I'm glad you've found a way to make JUDDD less stressful!

A few months ago, I made a chart so
--(a) I wouldn't have to run to Dr J's calculator so often, &
--(b) I could easily look at my options on "difficult" DDs

I won't put the whole thing here; just a couple things to support your point:
25%+no exercise=594 calorie DDs
45%+moderate ex=1380 cals

PS--700 or 800 calories may seem even more doable while traveling or for special events if you're the kind of person who can save (most of) them for one meal. I sometimes find that easier to do while happy & excited on vacation than when bored at home!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 05-29-2012 at 11:12 PM.. Reason: ps
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<275/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC3 View Post
I have trouble staying below 500 cals on DD during a weekend, but I do stay around 800. This was making me feel like a failure. Then a question started rattling around in my head asking, isn't 800 calories better than the mindless, random eating I used to do on the weekends?
Yes, it is better!

In the beginning, if I went "over" on a DD, I'd often think, Oh, might as well make it an UD & try to do a better DD tomorrow. But when I started looking at the range of %ages, I realized I had more options!

Even when I wasn't (or am not, lol) getting that JUDDD magic, every day--attempted DD, on-plan UDs & DDs, UUADs!!!--has been a lesson in being mindful of portions & ingredients, trying new foods & recipes, and paying attention to my body's signals.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
I'm glad you've found a way to make JUDDD less stressful!

A few months ago, I made a chart so
--(a) I wouldn't have to run to Dr J's calculator so often, &
--(b) so I could easily look at my options on "difficult" DDs

I won't put the whole thing here; just a couple things to support your point:
25%+no exercise=594 calorie DDs
45%+moderate ex=1380 cals
EXACTLY!! It was such a d'uh moment when it actually came together in my head (I swear I actually heard the light bulb go off!) - but you said it so much more succinctly than I did!

It really does make sense!
Old 05-30-2012, 12:32 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Marianne, this is interesting. Thanks to you and pj for the thoughts. I hope this means that you'll write as much during your upcoming trip. I'm looking forward to seeing your results. If this works as well as I hope it does for you, I can see a few more margaritas and s&v chips in my travel future.
Really, you know, this diet isn't science. It is theory, with some good evidence behind it, being applied, now, by all of us. It's kind of exciting to think that you'll be adding to the juddd knowledge base for all of us All the best,
Kristin
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:12 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Marianne, I tend to get fixated by the numbers too. I decided to go into "maintenance" for a bit to give my body a break, but I was too afraid of the much higher numbers, so I chose one in the middle. It's technically still WLM, but I really didn't trust the higher numbers wouldn't make me gain.

Anywho, I picked 750 as my DD limit, and I honestly rarely get close. Just knowing those extra calories are there, has really relieved me of a great deal of stress. Sometimes I go up that high, once I've gone over, but usually I'm under. I'm still losing, though slower, but I can't tell you how wonderful it feels to not be pushing myself so, so hard!

I have a list of my percentages/calories on a post-it on my laptop here at home, on my computer at work, and a note on my kindle. So you can see, I'm still obsessed with numbers, just not with keeping them so low. It works, and it's healthy for those of us with a touch of OCD.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:14 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Brilliant post Marianne, and all so true.

I hope lots of people see this, it is so reassuring to know that going 'over' your DD cals does not mean you have 'failed'.

Enjoy your travels!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:26 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Terilynn
Stats: back to LC 1/6/14, going to stick to & make it
WOE: LC
Funny - I had decided the exact same thing about a week ago and made the chart - it is sitting right on my desk. It really helps mentally!
Terilynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:42 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lianora Mosswood
Stats: 165/121/115 5'3" 54 yrs
WOE: locarb primal juddd
Start Date: January 2011
Very interesting post! I have just started something similar.

For most of April and May, I was having a hard time sticking to my rotation, mostly due to a lot of unavoidable stress. Needless to say, I was losing and gaining the same 3 or 4 pounds.

About 10 days ago, I had a flash. I recalculated my calories based on my current weight and noted the DD cals from 60% maintenance down to 20% WLM. Each DD, I went to the next lower number as a way to get back into a decent calorie rotation. Today is day 10. Since my last weigh on 5/23, I've lost 1.2 pounds and I have only gotten to the 40% loss calories. And I broke through to a new low weight. So far, so good. I've been able to stick to a pattern of DD/UD.

If I really need to for some reason, I can jump back up the DD allotment, up to the 60% number, and not totally blow it. My UD eating is close to 1480/day, sometimes a little more or less.

I'm shooting to get to the 20% WLM number, 296, which will be miraculous, since I have hardly ever been able to get to below 500. When I get to a 5 pound loss, I'll recalc, because that will put me really really close to goal where every calorie is going to count.

Quote:
All of these options mean I can stay on track - maybe slow down a bit, but still stay on track and in control.
Yes! Absolutely brilliant!

44 down, 6 to go!
Lianora Mosswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:43 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
I hope our newbies read this due to so many feel that sticking with such a low number is not posible or even comfortable.. To know what your DD celing is at maintanience should be a comfort to those who do have a party or function with in the rotation ,that its ok to go as high as "blank" and not ruin all there progress! This was a well timed post once agin.. I am happy you took the time to cramp your fingers on this one~
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks all, I really do hope this is helpful - it was such a watershed moment for me when it all came together, and I have read so many with such anxiety/angst lately about HAVING to stick to those DD numbers (some which are startelingly low), accompanied by social anxiety around events and food that I was really hoping this might alleviate that a bit.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:09 AM   #13
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
One smart JUDDD BUDDD and a
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Brilliant post.

And it should help with those "oh I went over, should tomorrow be another dd" questions. If you are still within DD cals, even the highest maintenance level, you've done a DD, and should proceed with the UD the next day. Even if you end up at a MD, you should still do UD cals the following day. Only if you actually get within 100 cals of you UD cals should you consider the next day being a DD.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Marianne What was interesting to me is the static nature of the UDs, even when the DDs go up. That's what has been doing me in-going over my UD allowance. I stick to the DD-341, actually pretty well, because I know that's IT. The UDs just get carried away by the tide of wine or snacking. Thus, I am not doing well, I am sure...
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: RenoMom
Stats: 300/294/199
WOE: JUDDD started 300
Start Date: 4/29/13
Very interesting thats for sure.
RenoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: 8/18/14
Marianne, what an excellent post and may have me rethinking my current rotation. I guess I thought, despite this being my second go 'round with JUDDD (if you don't count all the half starts in between ), that if I went over my 20% DD cals or at most over the 500 on any DD, that it was blown and should be an UD or at best, a MD.

Even with that said, I had had these thoughts before about if I was staying within the WLM percentages, I was still doing good. Just never put it into practice I suppose and wanted to adhere to 500 or less on any DD, come H-E-double-hockey-sticks or high water.

Since I really, really ... really, really like every Saturday being an UD, I think I could still use this rationale instead of having to work in a MD day.

I must think on this ....

Yes, I'm going to track every loss when I get it!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brehede
Stats: 283/264/140
WOE: LC JUDDD
Start Date: January 2012
Thanks Marianne, that is a very useful way of looking at DDs and rotation!

Dee
brehede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: circusgirl
Stats: 219/185/140
WOE: primal/paleo-currently HCG
Start Date: August 1999 primal, HCG in 2010
awesome! I had this basic realization but couldn't have really put words to it earlier this week. I am doing the same thing, and MAN is it mentally freeing! Thanks for the post!!
circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Marianne your post was really quite brilliant. What a great and insightful way of keeping Juddd working for you in varying situations. Your avi should have a little light bulb over your head I suppose if one needed a break one could always go into maintence for a week or two, enjoy the extra calories and just take a little time out and refresh. No harm no foul. I so happy for you that you had your light bulb moment and how great that you shared it with all of your Buddds.I have no doubt that this will work out wonderfully for you.of course you will keep us up to date
Vanessa
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oropendola
Stats: 221.4/186.6/160
WOE: Belly Fat Cure -> JUDDD -> JUDDD + DrK
Start Date: January 2, 2012 -> March 8 -> July 6
Thank you SO much! I can stress less about this long weekend and plan accordingly!
I've copied and pasted it into my calendar to remind me daily while I'm away.
Thank you Thank you!
oropendola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abby
Stats: 5'7";197_'09;167/139/132_'12
WOE: LC/VLC
Great post, Marianne.......

Of course, the purists would say that use of a maintenance calorie count on a DD is a cave-in. I disagree. Sometimes, real life can and does intervene.

Since I plan to use JUDDD only on a maintenance basis, I'll be able to follow your guidance without feeling guilty. The generous maintenance levels will be SOP for my DD. For now, I like the more aggressive weight loss associated with Stillman.

Thanks for your compilation,

Last edited by Abby; 05-30-2012 at 04:40 PM..
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:25 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cuttie99
Stats: 5'2 171
WOE: post hcg, lost 60lbs
Start Date: Juddd 4/30, restarted 11/30
I consider myself still a newbie so please don't laugh too hard at me... but how is this different from a MD?

lets say you did the 60% mode 1796/1078

An Md day would be 1437 cals.

I have read we need to avoid Md is possible because they can cause stalls. Are you saying you should just eat 1078 instead of 1437 and you will still be in good shape and haven't blown it? Is that the idea?

Or even better by doing 45% 1796/808....

Sorry for the simplicity here

thanks for sharing your idea!!

What ever you are craving now will be there for you to eat when you are done losing weight!!
cuttie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:41 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Um i am not sure how to answer your question Cuttie99.. But i decdied to take this post for a whirl yesterday.. and i ate up to 950 caloires.( normal downdays 120-150) and i did not gain an ounce! I just wanted to see "what" would happen if i actually ate that much on a down day~.. Today i am back to noraml rotation of an UD and will choose to repete my high number of950 on Sunday and see what it does lol.. To think i have been starving on a down day with the same results as a moderate day was amazing to me.. I expected to see a gain~ Wow ,, what fun this was~
Oh and Cutie99.. the MD really should be avoided durring the first few weeks of starting JUDDD.. I am pretty sure that once you have been on it for like a month or so, that the ocational moderate eating on a down day has lil or no effect , thats why they say,,JUDDD is forgiving"
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014

Last edited by sterlinggirl; 05-31-2012 at 09:45 AM..
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:01 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Hi Marianne!

I'm traveling a lot for work now too, and came to the same realization. We have an arsenal of tools-- higher DD by a couple hundred "points" or a MD... My last trip wasn't a great example, but the 2 trips before, I followed the rotations, incl a 700 DD and a couple MD so that my actual travel days were UDs (which for me is key, b/c air travel and low blood sugar just don't mix in my world).

So, just saying, I think your ah-ha is a really good one, and know that there's at least 1 other traveler out there doing the same thing!

Soren

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Hey all! I have been doing this since the last week of school, May 7 and it has helped me to shake a few lbs! Well, 2.8, but let me tell you it is much more fun than keeping the 330 DD!!!

I had decided to just go into maintaining while vacationing, but then realized that I am allowed 700 cals for DD at 35% and still be able to have at least one WONDERFUL dinner on DD. So, I lowered my UD to 1700 and brought DD up to 700 and it is feeling great. Also, I do not bounce!!! My weight has been just slowly dropping with a couple of whooshes.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:12 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Sunday, that is SO interesting. Can I ask, is that loss slower, faster, or the same as before May 7th?
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:41 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Faster, because I had slowed down to a crawl, the last days of April. By May 7, I was ready to try something new, anything! I still have 30 more to lose, so after all of my fun and travel slows down about July, I will hop back on the 20% again.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:43 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I gave up the wine also. Don't know if I will pick that back up though? I really want to shed the rest. So, my plan is to enjoy only birthdays and special occasions with wine until I get to my goal and then I can have wine anytime!
Old 05-31-2012, 04:07 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Faster, because I had slowed down to a crawl, the last days of April. By May 7, I was ready to try something new, anything! I still have 30 more to lose, so after all of my fun and travel slows down about July, I will hop back on the 20% again.
So, allow me to ask....if what you are doing now is resulting in steady losses and no bouncing....why would you go back to 20%?

Last edited by 2BoysMom; 05-31-2012 at 04:11 PM..