Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abby
Stats: 5'7";197_'09;167/139/132_'12
WOE: LC/VLC
Altering Rotation due to Real Life Events

Question:

Do any of you change your rotation to facilitate a "scheduled" UD due to an event like a date, family festivity, work-related dinner, etc?????????

For example, if my rotation called for a DD on a Thursday and an UD on a Friday, how could I schedule another UD on a Saturday???? Could I simply make both Thursday and Friday DDs???? Alternatively, I could make Friday and Saturday UDs, but I'm more leery about 2 UDs in a row that 2 DDs.

In the best of all worlds, one would probably want to avoid changing a rotation. However, sometimes Real Life injects itself.........

Thanks for your help,

Last edited by Abby; 05-28-2012 at 09:53 PM..
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mamalaw
Stats: 291/260/140 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: May 1,2012
Good question I would love to know how others handle this too.
mamalaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
All my life events seem to be on a Fri or Sat so my rotation was Su/Tu/Thu DDs, M/W/Sa UDs and then Fri was a MD. My Fridays usually had a latte from Starbucks, then DD lunch and a "normal" dinner...I use past tense bc I'm currently in the midst of an experiment
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:05 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Buttercup204
Stats: 204/197/165
WOE: NK/JUDDD
I'll change my rotation to fit into my life favoring at least 3 DDs per week trying my hardest to stick to every other day but I would prefer two UDs in a row vs two DDs and I thinks it's not recommended to have two DDs back to back...not sure but I know I avoid it haha. Still I try to make my DDs fall on travel days or work days as they're easier as DDs but it varies. I just keep to my 3x per week and I'm good.
Buttercup204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:18 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetTN
Stats: too much/getting there/just right!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Jan 2012
make Friday a MD (add your UD and DD calories and divide by 2) and then your Saturday would be an UD. I think others have said that it isn't something you want to do all the time but is ok if you need to change your rotation. Maybe your losses slow down if you do this a lot.
JanetTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:19 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
I had to do just that this weekend. We were at softball games and I got so hot on Sunday I wasn't anywhere near my UD calories...so I made Monday an UD!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:20 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Most use a MD to change rotations. I did that once and confused myself so bad I vowed to never do it again. I just returned from a trip and stayed on rotations. I even attended a bangquet on a DD. Fasted until the banquet and ate light. Too many changing of rotations ( in my opinion) is not a good thing but everyone is different. Some can, some can't. I can't so I don't.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
I do because I think that's one of the beauties and plusses of JUDDD. I'm one who does a M/W/F DD, T/T/S UD, Sunday MD rotation. Yesterday was supposed to be a DD for me, but the holiday made it an UD. For me, I'm doing a DD today, and will do a MD tomorrow, then get back to my usual rotation days on Thursday.

I love being able to have JUDDD work for me to fit my needs on occasion. I'd love to keep to a true daily rotation, but it would make JUDDD seem too much like a "diet". Which would allow my archenemy "guilt" to butt in and put a damper on things!

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
You could have Thursday be a DD, Friday be a MD (your UD and DD calories combined, divided by 2) and Saturday be an UD. On Sunday you would start with a DD and go from there.
melisa82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all of your input. I apologize for the "alterating" misnomer; I tend to make up words late at night when I'm sleep deprived......

I like the concept of a MD. It's interesting that Vanilla uses it as part of a regular rotation rather than on an " as needed" basis.

I'm still feeling my way out with JUDDD primarily as a maintenance tool. I certainly can appreciate its flexibility!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #11

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
I'm of the opposite opinion. I know lots say that life happens, and it does, but to me, nothing is as important to me as my weight loss and my health. Most events are just single moments in time. They come and they go. And the vast majority of the time, IMO, the food is not really the focus, it's the relationships and the time spent together.

So I don't alter my rotations. If an event falls on a down day, so be it, I either eat my regular foods beforehand so I don't go to the event hungry, and then enjoy coffee or tea or soda while the eating takes place. Or else I eat sparingly during the day and go ahead and enjoy a small portion of the food offered.

But I've been told before that I work this like a job (weight loss) and I do...not everyone needs to have that unrelenting focus maybe. And maybe I won't need it either after a while. I thought I would offer the perspective for your consideration.

"Success occurs in clusters and is born in generosity" --Julia Cameron

Describes my JUDDD Buddds perfectly.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Loca View Post
I'm of the opposite opinion. I know lots say that life happens, and it does, but to me, nothing is as important to me as my weight loss and my health. Most events are just single moments in time. They come and they go. And the vast majority of the time, IMO, the food is not really the focus, it's the relationships and the time spent together.

So I don't alter my rotations. If an event falls on a down day, so be it, I either eat my regular foods beforehand so I don't go to the event hungry, and then enjoy coffee or tea or soda while the eating takes place. Or else I eat sparingly during the day and go ahead and enjoy a small portion of the food offered.

But I've been told before that I work this like a job (weight loss) and I do...not everyone needs to have that unrelenting focus maybe. And maybe I won't need it either after a while. I thought I would offer the perspective for your consideration.
This is my approach to JUDDD as well. Maybe because I have a lot of weight to lose. I also don't alter my rotations. I have found that there is always a holiday or birthday or event to celebrate. That is why I got fat in the first place. All celebrations were centered around food.

Now, if it is a DD, it stays a DD. Like yesterday for example.It was a holiday and a DD for me. I just kept it a DD and had lemonade made stevia and some tri tip. I enjoyed the people and the games and stories instead of focusing on the food. It was every bit as enjoyable.

It's a different perspective, as Luna said, but I find it is working for me for now.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #13

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I see MD's as a tool, but a special tool which should only be used when there's no other option. I've been JUDDDing for 5 1/2 months and have used that tool exactly one time.

That being said, if it's a matter of you using a MD more often, or quitting JUDDD altogether, I say use the MD and change your rotation. Just be aware that if you abuse it, you can stall.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
I like the concept of a MD. It's interesting that Vanilla uses it as part of a regular rotation rather than on an " as needed" basis.
Just need to point out these three things:

I did the rotation as written for several weeks before I went to the rotation I do now. I did that rotation a few years ago when JUDDD first came out and it worked well, until I went on vacation. Although I gained very little, I just never got back on JUDDD when I got home.

I find if I work my rotation to allow for a special occasion to be an UD, it's more of a mind thing for me. It's knowing I can have this or that, which ends up either the day not being a full blown UD or if it is, eating without guilt. I generally find I've eaten less than I anticipated just because I knew I could if I so desired. Also, one of the huge benefits of JUDDD is that it makes food so much less important on those occasions than in the past, for me.

I admire those who do a true rotation, no matter what occasion comes up. I don't switch up my days for every, single occasion that comes up. I've attended several where just stayed away from the food table and kept my DD intact. But I know for me, I need to make this work for my life and whatever way it can feel not like a diet.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimberino
Stats: 235/141 50 yo
WOE: Atkins/now JUDDD
Start Date: 3 '09 Atkins-3 '12 JUDDD
I threw in a couple MDs the last 3 weeks and had a harder time with those than my DDs (I wanted to eat way over my allotted cals). I did appreciate that I could change my rotation without completely sabotaging all my efforts, but I think I'd rather just stick with my schedule. I say that today, lol, but who knows what tomorrow will bring.
kimberino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
LunaLoca and Sungoddess I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought that dinner with friends or three day holidays were more about spending time with friends and family than about the food. I too stick 100% to my rotations. Like my little motto says, if you're looking for an excuse you will find one. It seems like there is a never ending supply of " reasons" to turn an DD into an UD.
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #17

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffabuff View Post
LunaLoca and Sungoddess I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought that dinner with friends or three day holidays were more about spending time with friends and family than about the food. I too stick 100% to my rotations. Like my little motto says, if you're looking for an excuse you will find one. It seems like there is a never ending supply of " reasons" to turn an DD into an UD.
Well, far be it from me to be judgmental about how others do their WOE. That's between them and their scale, LOL.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post

I'm still feeling my way out with JUDDD primarily as a maintenance tool. I certainly can appreciate its flexibility!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My rotation was a regular rotation too. I almost never did a true JUDDD rotation bc I play ice hockey on Fridays and found it difficult w/o a solid dinner.

But then I'm in maintenance so I think makes a huge difference.
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:14 AM   #19

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
We all make JUDDD work for us in our own ways. I would like to see tolerance here always.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:49 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimberino
Stats: 235/141 50 yo
WOE: Atkins/now JUDDD
Start Date: 3 '09 Atkins-3 '12 JUDDD
Well said, Kissa.
kimberino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/125/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
OK, this is a bit of a thread jack, but this forum is always so thought provoking! I have to say THANK YOU to Luna, SunGoddess and Muffabuff, and of course the OP Abby, for slapping me upside the head with a needed dose of reality.

I see this question often on the JUDDD boards - how to change a rotation. I've been of the opinion that throwing in a MD here and there helps faciliate the JUDDD WOE to fit real life - which in many ways is true. JUDDD is SO FAR from a traditional "diet" and that's the beauty of it.

HOWEVER, the comment that SunGoddess posted, "I have found that there is always a holiday or birthday or event to celebrate. That is why I got fat in the first place. All celebrations were centered around food" really struck a chord, along with Luna's observation, "Most events are just single moments in time. They come and they go. And the vast majority of the time, IMO, the food is not really the focus, it's the relationships and the time spent together."

It is so true that we need to teach ourselves to focus less on food and more on the fun of just being with family/friends on those special days.

Also, no matter what weight loss/lifetime eating plan we choose, we still need to teach ourselves smarter eating habits, right? I'm not doing so well with this lesson - learning to CHOOSE instead of going whole hog all the time. Instead of eating SEVERAL tasty desserts on my UD's (and I am shamefacedly beginning to realize this is becoming an UD habit), I need to learn to choose - one lovely, tasty dessert that I can look forward to, so it becomes the treat that dessert is intended to be, not just a part of my UD consumption.

So thanks to you all for giving me some good food (non caloric) for thought.
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #22

Abby this might be interesting I believe I had an epiphany...my longest post ever.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/125/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Threadjack - Kissa - love the new avatar! You look beautiful and happy out there in the sunshine!
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #24

Thanks Tracey, that was in Oman a couple of years when I wen to visit MintQ8, my DD.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brehede
Stats: 283/264/140
WOE: LC JUDDD
Start Date: January 2012
Just wanted to mention that I am having slow & steady success with quite a lot of changing of rotation. I end up having 2 UDs or a MD & UD combo most weeks. This definitely can be seen on the scale with average loss over c. 2.5 months of JUDDD of only average 1.5 pounds per week. Maybe this works for me now because I have a lot of weight to lose & probably will need to tighten up when closer to goal!

I find that doing it this way I don't feel deprived - I have struggled for many years against the restrictions of weight loss and this is working so far, I am prepared to accept slower weight loss. I admire those who have the discipline to keep to the rules. I bet you manage to exercise too!

Dee
brehede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #26

I am so pleased this works for you Dee, I really believe there is a way for all of us to do JUDDD. We have to work it out for ourselves although lots of advice is to be found here.

I think 1.5 pounds a week is great!
Old 05-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/120/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by brehede View Post
Just wanted to mention that I am having slow & steady success with quite a lot of changing of rotation. I end up having 2 UDs or a MD & UD combo most weeks. This definitely can be seen on the scale with average loss over c. 2.5 months of JUDDD of only average 1.5 pounds per week. Maybe this works for me now because I have a lot of weight to lose & probably will need to tighten up when closer to goal!

I find that doing it this way I don't feel deprived - I have struggled for many years against the restrictions of weight loss and this is working so far, I am prepared to accept slower weight loss. I admire those who have the discipline to keep to the rules. I bet you manage to exercise too!

Dee
Yes, yes, 1.5 # a week is super great! I have been on JUDD since 1-1-12 and never had those great results! I am slow

I just love this WOE!!! JUDD is just the best!
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Thanks, Kissa. I was very impressed with Marianne's post. It helps folks who need to alter their rotation find a format with which they can remain comfortable without excessive guilt.

For now, I'm still attracted to the more aggressive aspects of Stillman. I do plan to adopt JUDDD for maintenance; the generous maintenance levels will be SOP for my DD.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I don't alter my rotations. I figure I can manage somehow on event days. It's working so far for me, some 2 months into this now.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:25 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hollyitworks
Stats: 185/168/130 -17 Woohoo!
WOE: JUDDD (Is there any other way?)
Start Date: Restart July 2012 JUDDD. Start May 2012 Atkins
Thanks for the post Kissa, it's given me some insight after trying to ...

drown my emotions in oreos and rice crispy treats. (I have to add, they taste like crap after the first bite. I ate the rest for punishment..I'm sure of it)

Abby this might be interesting http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...l#post15689280
originally posted by kissa

I started with 25% on DD. I usually went over but just a bit. I picked 25% because I thought that was doable and I, of course, thought I'd lose weight faster. If I'm honest, bahhahahahah-me honest about calories, dieting- that's a funny for the day! But, if I was honest, on DD I'm probably at 35% 640. So why lie? Why not just own it? Why not just plan it?

I'm going to still plan for 25% and stay close to calories on UD's. I'm going to plan meals for both days. It doesn't work out so well to just wing it.

Got a sticky for my phone and I'm going to spend some of this beautiful day off from work menu planning. Have a fabulous day everyone. Thanks for the advice and the inspiration. Holly
hollyitworks is offline   Reply With Quote