Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member
 
Mitsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 210
Gallery: Mitsa
Stats: start 118/ goal 100
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 05/26/12
DD calories?

Hi all

After reading around here, I'm a little confused.

Am i understanding correctly that on a DD, i dont have to consume any calories but its important i have all my UD calories?

My UD cals are 1493 and DD are 300. Do i have to consume the 300 if i dont want to? I guess Ive read some posts where people have stalled etc and advice has been to eat the calories that have been advised on the calculater on Dr J website.

Please advise?

Colette
Mitsa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!
 
mykidsteacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,184
Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
No, you don't have to eat the 300 cals if you don't want to. But you DO have to eat all your UD cals.

That said, if you find you aren't losing with not eating those DD cals, it may be that your body goes too deeply into the starvation stress response and doesn't come out of it on your UD. In that case, they have had to raise DD cals in order to lose.

You won't know until you try something.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!
 
Whitlin''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 1,009
Gallery: Whitlin'
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March, 2009
Hi, Colette. Eating nothing at all on certain patterns of days is called "Intermittent Fasting", and there is a lot of info about it on the internet - I think there are several recent articles, and books as well.

Dr. Johnson's diet and book, The Alternate Day Diet, are about "Intermittent Calorie Restriction", specifically every-other-day.

I think of those as two different things, although there are similarities. I honestly don't know if any of the Intermittent Fasting experts are recommending doing it every-other-day long-term. But, to me, I'd think you should check out their information to see if there are things you should know first. Fasting is a bigger deal than calorie restriction, and there are some people who aren't supposed to do it for health reasons, some warnings to know, etc.

Best wishes to you.
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member
 
Mitsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 210
Gallery: Mitsa
Stats: start 118/ goal 100
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 05/26/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
No, you don't have to eat the 300 cals if you don't want to. But you DO have to eat all your UD cals.

That said, if you find you aren't losing with not eating those DD cals, it may be that your body goes too deeply into the starvation stress response and doesn't come out of it on your UD. In that case, they have had to raise DD cals in order to lose.

You won't know until you try something.
Ok, thats makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up. I figured it was something like that and now it makes sense.

Thanks for that.
Mitsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member
 
Mitsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 210
Gallery: Mitsa
Stats: start 118/ goal 100
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 05/26/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitlin' View Post
Hi, Colette. Eating nothing at all on certain patterns of days is called "Intermittent Fasting", and there is a lot of info about it on the internet - I think there are several recent articles, and books as well.

Dr. Johnson's diet and book, The Alternate Day Diet, are about "Intermittent Calorie Restriction", specifically every-other-day.

I think of those as two different things, although there are similarities. I honestly don't know if any of the Intermittent Fasting experts are recommending doing it every-other-day long-term. But, to me, I'd think you should check out their information to see if there are things you should know first. Fasting is a bigger deal than calorie restriction, and there are some people who aren't supposed to do it for health reasons, some warnings to know, etc.

Best wishes to you.
Hi there
i definitely dont want to fast as such. Im happy for the DD cals, was just curious as to whether i HAD to have them and they affected metabolism.
Thank you too for clearing it up for me.

Colette
Mitsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:13 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member
 
Mitsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 210
Gallery: Mitsa
Stats: start 118/ goal 100
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 05/26/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
No, you don't have to eat the 300 cals if you don't want to. But you DO have to eat all your UD cals.

That said, if you find you aren't losing with not eating those DD cals, it may be that your body goes too deeply into the starvation stress response and doesn't come out of it on your UD. In that case, they have had to raise DD cals in order to lose.

You won't know until you try something.
Hi Tina

just on another topic, was it yourself that had the banana muffin recipe? lol
Mitsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:41 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,912
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
This is one of those things where it usually doesn't matter all that much in the final outcome.

The JUDDD plan calls for our DDs to start out being held to 500 calories. Dr. Johnson does point out that complete fasting on our DDs is fine... but that most folks can't do it, so we are allowed a small amount of food on those days so that we can handle those days more easily, and here's an interesting point about those few DD calories: It was found that when that number was held to the very low numbers we are given, the effect on our body and our health was about the same as it would have been if we had fasted completely. Yay! The SIRT1 gene is stimulated to be more active, the near-fasting hours did promote our bodies to search within us and *clean house*, the health benefits derived from holding ourselves in a fasted state are about the same, and the weight loss is about the same too.

It's just fine to fast completely on Down Days if you want to. Some find total fasting almost easier than starting to eat, which seems to then make their hunger wake up, and they're feeling hungry from that point on for their day. Obviously total fasting will cut a few hundred calories out of your diet as the weeks go on, so a smidge more weight loss will probably be experienced.

A few have felt that not eating on DDs, or holding too low, might have been responsible for them having a bit of a stall in their weight loss. Personally, I tend to believe that any pause in weight loss was very likely not being caused by skipping eating the few DD calories folks are given, as our UDs are beyond our true maintenance calorie numbers and should more than counter any slowing of metabolism from a day of fasting, but we all get to do what we want, if folks want to fast but decide to eat their DD calories instead, they get to! LOL

As to UD calories, overall I've watched folks overeat on Up Days and also not eaten up to their UD calories as well, and doing either occasionally isn't any particular problem, but I definitely have noticed that the most successful JUDDDers in the long term are most often from the ranks of those who try to count and stick to their UD numbers fairly closely. If you hold that number down quite a bit lower than the number you are given, it's not that you probably won't lose weight.. It's that often you sort of train your body into a chronically sluggish metabolism that doesn't rev up to address higher calorie quantities later. Most of us are *eaters* to the point that we hope to improve our metabolisms a bit and be able to eat more while maintaining weight loss as well. Pure heaven.

So do the best you can at truly counting calories and tracking your numbers. Try to get in your UD calories without going over, and do DDs at your low number or less, fasting totally even.. if you enjoy that occasionally.

I'm glad you're here with us and expect you will have great luck with excellent weight loss at the same time you are able to eat amazing meals that can include your favorite foods again. Good luck! And Welcome!
__________________
Best wishes, Pat

Last edited by SoHappy; 05-27-2012 at 05:44 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member
 
Mitsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 210
Gallery: Mitsa
Stats: start 118/ goal 100
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 05/26/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
This is one of those things where it usually doesn't matter all that much in the final outcome.

The JUDDD plan calls for our DDs to start out being held to 500 calories. Dr. Johnson does point out that complete fasting on our DDs is fine... but that most folks can't do it, so we are allowed a small amount of food on those days so that we can handle those days more easily, and here's an interesting point about those few DD calories: It was found that when that number was held to the very low numbers we are given, the effect on our body and our health was about the same as it would have been if we had fasted completely. Yay! The SIRT1 gene is stimulated to be more active, the near-fasting hours did promote our bodies to search within us and *clean house*, the health benefits derived from holding ourselves in a fasted state are about the same, and the weight loss is about the same too.

It's just fine to fast completely on Down Days if you want to. Some find total fasting almost easier than starting to eat, which seems to then make their hunger wake up, and they're feeling hungry from that point on for their day. Obviously total fasting will cut a few hundred calories out of your diet as the weeks go on, so a smidge more weight loss will probably be experienced.

A few have felt that not eating on DDs, or holding too low, might have been responsible for them having a bit of a stall in their weight loss. Personally, I tend to believe that any pause in weight loss was very likely not being caused by skipping eating the few DD calories folks are given, as our UDs are beyond our true maintenance calorie numbers and should more than counter any slowing of metabolism from a day of fasting, but we all get to do what we want, if folks want to fast but decide to eat their DD calories instead, they get to! LOL

As to UD calories, overall I've watched folks overeat on Up Days and also not eaten up to their UD calories as well, and doing either occasionally isn't any particular problem, but I definitely have noticed that the most successful JUDDDers in the long term are most often from the ranks of those who try to count and stick to their UD numbers fairly closely. If you hold that number down quite a bit lower than the number you are given, it's not that you probably won't lose weight.. It's that often you sort of train your body into a chronically sluggish metabolism that doesn't rev up to address higher calorie quantities later. Most of us are *eaters* to the point that we hope to improve our metabolisms a bit and be able to eat more while maintaining weight loss as well. Pure heaven.

So do the best you can at truly counting calories and tracking your numbers. Try to get in your UD calories without going over, and do DDs at your low number or less, fasting totally even.. if you enjoy that occasionally.

I'm glad you're here with us and expect you will have great luck with excellent weight loss at the same time you are able to eat amazing meals that can include your favorite foods again. Good luck! And Welcome!
Hi Pat
I really enjoyed reading that. Its very interesting how it all just comes together. I've started today, its 8.30am in Melbourne, Australia. Coffee first though. Cant live with coffee.

Im understanding now from your response that i should start on 500 DD cals? I was going to start with the 300 the calculator gave me?
Mitsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,912
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsa View Post
Hi Pat
I really enjoyed reading that. Its very interesting how it all just comes together. I've started today, its 8.30am in Melbourne, Australia. Coffee first though. Cant live with coffee.

Im understanding now from your response that i should start on 500 DD cals? I was going to start with the 300 the calculator gave me?
It's OK to start with 300-calorie Down Days if you'd like to.

That 500 calorie number is given to us as a suggested DD calorie number to hold to for the first two weeks as a sort of *Induction* period. I believe the thinking behind this is that while less is great... it will be hard enough for most people to even be able to hold as low as the suggested 500 calories! The induction two weeks is sort of designed to be helpful for folks to get used to really low calories before many of them take it even lower, but if you can start off lower without *stepping yourself down*, so to speak, feel completely free to start low.

It sounds like you are going to be going Great Guns at this! I'll be looking forward to reading your reports of weight loss as the weeks continue. I think you will be very successful!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member
 
Mitsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 210
Gallery: Mitsa
Stats: start 118/ goal 100
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 05/26/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
It's OK to start with 300-calorie Down Days if you'd like to.

That 500 calorie number is given to us as a suggested DD calorie number to hold to for the first two weeks as a sort of *Induction* period. I believe the thinking behind this is that while less is great... it will be hard enough for most people to even be able to hold as low as the suggested 500 calories! The induction two weeks is sort of designed to be helpful for folks to get used to really low calories before many of them take it even lower, but if you can start off lower without *stepping yourself down*, so to speak, feel completely free to start low.

It sounds like you are going to be going Great Guns at this! I'll be looking forward to reading your reports of weight loss as the weeks continue. I think you will be very successful!

Thanks Pat for the words of encouragement.

I hope you are right, you know the experts always say the last 10-15lbs are always the hardest to shift. I dont have alot to lose and hope my body doesnt fight me too much on it and lets the fat go.
Mitsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,912
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsa View Post
Thanks Pat for the words of encouragement.

I hope you are right, you know the experts always say the last 10-15lbs are always the hardest to shift. I dont have alot to lose and hope my body doesnt fight me too much on it and lets the fat go.
If you have set your calories correctly, as per the JUDDD Calorie Calculator, and if you weigh out and/or measure your foods and your portions and track those calories, and if you respect your calorie ceilings and don't exceed them (much/often), and you hold to those calorie numbers pretty truly... you should lose those last few pounds and get yourself down to your goal weight relatively smoothly.

On JUDDD many have found that the last few pounds are no more difficult to lose than the initial ones were, and in fact, there are several here who had to scramble at the end to make the weight loss STOP! They were losing below their goal weights and didn't want to get quite that slim!

I expect you will do fine. If you run into any problems, we all can chip in and help you address the cause at that time. But I expect you won't have any difficulties. Good luck!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member
 
Mitsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 210
Gallery: Mitsa
Stats: start 118/ goal 100
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 05/26/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
If you have set your calories correctly, as per the JUDDD Calorie Calculator, and if you weigh out and/or measure your foods and your portions and track those calories, and if you respect your calorie ceilings and don't exceed them (much/often), and you hold to those calorie numbers pretty truly... you should lose those last few pounds and get yourself down to your goal weight relatively smoothly.

On JUDDD many have found that the last few pounds are no more difficult to lose than the initial ones were, and in fact, there are several here who had to scramble at the end to make the weight loss STOP! They were losing below their goal weights and didn't want to get quite that slim!

I expect you will do fine. If you run into any problems, we all can chip in and help you address the cause at that time. But I expect you won't have any difficulties. Good luck!
I'm great at counting calories, been doing it for clients and for myself writing food plans so no worries there.

Thats promising about trying to shift the last few. People here seem to have had alot of success. Thanks for the offer of helping if need be, i really appreciate it.
Mitsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:36 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member
 
Buttercup204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Nevada
Posts: 131
Gallery: Buttercup204
Stats: 204/197/165
WOE: NK/JUDDD
You've already gotten lots of good advice so I will I just say welcome! I think you'll find success here! :-)
Buttercup204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:31 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.