Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2012, 04:59 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cuttie99
Stats: 5'2 171
WOE: post hcg, lost 60lbs
Start Date: Juddd 4/30, restarted 11/30
My 2 week journey: why u need to count cals!

I first want to say thank you to all my Juddd budds!! This group has the nicest people!! If you are on the fence about Juddd give it a try!

Here is my journey so far. I started HCG last yr and lost 60 lbs. I finished my last round this year and I dreaded the maintenance phase. You basically can’t have any processed foods or carbs and most of the time you gain weight and you don’t know why unless u are one of the lucky few. It’s a very frustrating process. I found out about Juddd and was very skeptical. Will it work for me after hcg? So after lurking and asking questions for at least 2 weeks I decided to give it a try. Worst case I could always go back to HCG.

I decided to carb up before starting Juddd to prevent water bounces. So I was 143 after hcg, after eating carbs for a few days I was up to 150! I did 2 DD and 2 UUAAD Juddd days and caught a very bad cold. Was sick for 1 week and I had to stop Juddd. I then went on a trip and ate like a crazy person. I was too ashamed to weigh when I got back but I think I was 155. I did 2 DD with 2 UUAAD etc… days and I was down to 150.5. Woo hoo. Wish I had the guts to weigh myself before starting Juddd again. So I feel that 150.5 is my true starting weight. I guess the magic started early!

Well after reading all the fabulous comments about eating above your UD cals AND losing wt, I said I’m going to try it too. Why bother counting cals right? So I just ate whatever I wanted with no regards to cals. I estimate I was eating about 2500 to 3000 on my UD. I felt very bloated too, can't pinpoint if it was the excessive sodium or excessive carbs! Less bloated now that I am trying to keep cals lower. I have been very good about keeping my DD cals to 500 but for the past 2 weeks all of my UD were UUAADs!! Thus my weight just bounced up and down pretty much between 151 to 153. The moral of the story is ……I guess I need to count my UD cals! Darn!! I also discovered that stress and and UUAAD is a combination for a disaster looking to happen. I gained 4.5 lbs from a very stressful day at work!!

So you must be asking what are you doing now? Well I finally had one 1800 cal UD and the scale finally budged. Per the cal calculator I should eat about 1750. Wt 151 ht 5’2, 3-5 days exercise. I have been swinging 151 after DD, 153 after UD, after my first 1800 UD I only gained 0.5 instead of 2 lbs!! So I guess it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that out. So after my DD I finally went to 150!!!! Now this was 5/23. What do I do on 5/24 after much success…. I completely blow it! I started off good but I binged the rest of the day! I just got extremely hungry! After that disastrous day I weighed 153.5! So yesterday was my DD and today I am 152. Great Today will be my next attempt for a 1800 cal day... will be hard since its the holiday weekend!

The good news I am in no hurry to lose massive amounts of weight and I don't feel angry or upset at myself. This is going to be my WOE and for my lifetime. Its all about experimenting. I have suffered long enough to lose 60 lbs on hcg. Not going to kill myself anymore ! Even if I don’t ever lose another pound I am happy knowing my weight hopefully can at least be maintained with Juddd. But I think I will experience the magic too since I have been able to eat UUAADS for 2 weeks AND maintain. Thats magic enough for me!

I wish I didn’t waste 2 weeks but it sure was fun eating all that food! Now my plan is to start behaving and keep my UD cals to at least 1800 to get the scale to budge. I have had only 1 day of 1800 cal day success so far so ….. I am sure I can do it. The issue is the freedom of so many different foods to choose is what gets me in trouble on UDs. I know with a DD its just 500 and its easier to stick to. I even thought of skipping breakfast on UD and saving my cals for later etc… As far as hunger I feel hunger both days but the best appetite suppression is DISTRACTION! I just have to find what works for me… I will keep you all updated! Thanks for listening!!!

Exercise: Either Brazilian Butt lift workout (very challenging),or jog 45 min every day ( been good about staying active)

Lessons learned : Count up day cals, stress will make you gain weight, talk or distract yourself to keep from eating, remember the food item is not going anywhere, it will be there in a few weeks or months

Typical DD menu:
1 bag 100 cal popcorn from 12 to 4pm munching on it slowly
100 g protein, salad w/ 60 cal dressing and 100 cal starch ( corn potato pasta)

Or 1 bag popcorn
2 sandwiches (Each with 2oz ham : 60 cal, 2 slices 40 cal bread :80cal, lett, tom, mustard )
Maybe sugar free jello 10 cal
80 cal fruit popicle.

UD menu: Still working on it
Breakfast 3 slices 40 cal toast, 2 tsp low fat peanut butter, 1 tsp jelly about 250 cal
Protein and salad for lunch
Dinner :small portions of whats for dinner

Stats:
5/12 150.5 after dd
5/13 152.5 after UUAAD
5/14 151.0 dd
5/15 155.5 day after very stressful day and uuaad
5/16 152.0 dd
5/17 154.0 uuaad
5/18 151.0 dd
5/19 153.0 uuaad
5/20 151.0 dd
5/21 153.5 uuaad
5/22 151.5 dd
5/23 151.0 After 1800 cal UP woohoo
5/24 150.0 after DD woohoo new territory
5/25 153.5 after going back to UUAAD…. Very hungry
5/26 152.0 See what happens when you raid the fridge!

What ever you are craving now will be there for you to eat when you are done losing weight!!
cuttie99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2012, 05:08 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: 150?/?/135 52yo
WOE: JUDDDish
Cuttie,
No advice, here. Just total admiration that you're approaching this with patience and an eye to long-term learning. Thanks for the lesson,
Kristin
All the best as you move forward. You sound like a winner loser.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Kristin! All I can do is try to do the best I can.... Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend
Old 05-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abby
Stats: 5'7";197_'09;167/139/132_'12
WOE: LC/VLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttie99 View Post
The moral of the story is ……I guess I need to count my UD cals! Darn!!
Thanks for such a delightful and detailed post. I've never tried JUDDD but am interested in the concept. I know that most folks here state that you must eat up to your calculated calories on UDs to make the program work. This just seems counter-intuitive to me. Are there any folks who have had good results eating 75% to 80% of their "normal" calories on UDs?

Thanks,
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimberino
Stats: 235/141 50 yo
WOE: Atkins/now JUDDD
Start Date: 3 '09 Atkins-3 '12 JUDDD
What a great post! I think I got a little carried away in the beginning because I came from low carb for 3 years to this wonderful plan, which allows you to eat any food desired. Say what?

Good job maintaining and congratulations on such a GREAT attitude...it sure helps when you approach this WOE with that mindset.

Kim

Abby - I know it seems counter intuitive, but trust me, the plan works if followed as directed. When I average my UD (1693) and my DD (393), it comes to about 1000 cals per day.

Last edited by kimberino; 05-26-2012 at 08:01 AM..
kimberino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Abby- I lost just over 100 lbs on JUDDD, and I never used the UD calorie numbers from the calculator. I asked Dr. J about this (because his numbers were way too high for me), and he said that the only significant number was the DD calorie limit. For UD, a person should calculate based on the average they'll need to create a deficit to lose.

I only did JUDDD because I am post-menopausal and hypothyroid with what my endo also calls a "genetically slow metabolism." After I lost the first 80 lbs on generic low carb, I stalled because I had to lower my calories for my lower weight. I knew that I could not lose unless I kept daily calories at <1000, but trying to do that on a daily basis was very frustrating.

I stayed low carb (because I'm very carb sensitive), and did JUDDD mainly at 400 DDs, 1400 UDs. I lost steadily at a pound a week.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimberino
Stats: 235/141 50 yo
WOE: Atkins/now JUDDD
Start Date: 3 '09 Atkins-3 '12 JUDDD
Wow Leo - what a great success story - congrats!
kimberino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Abby I lost just over 100 lbs on JUDDD, and I never used the UD calorie numbers from the calculator. For UD, a person should calculate based on the average they'll need to create a deficit to lose.
This makes much more sense to me!!!!!!!!!!

On my current plan, I average around 800 cal/day. With JUDDD, I'd average 1200 cal/day (400 DD, 2000UD). When I've bumped my daily calorie intake to 1000 or above, I've always stalled. I can appreciate that JUDDD apparently works by essentially keeping your metabolism "guessing", but in the last analysis I don't think that I would lose much with taking in an average of 1200 cal/day. If I adopt JUDDD, I think that I'd rather stick with 1600 cal on UD.

Thanks as well for your thoughts, Kim.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whitlin'
Stats: 162/149/149
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March, 2009
Cuttie, I agree that I, too, want to thank you for the detailed post. It helps to hear a clear explanation of how things have gone for you. When I first did JUDDD I don't remember having to count calories on UDs as much as I do now, and that may have been because of somewhat different work I did then, my schedule, or that I was a bit younger. Now I see that counting on BOTH days really helps you see the path to weight loss clearly. All best wishes to you.

Leo41, I used to post here in '09 into '10 and now have come back to find everything quite different and really popping with activity but I certainly remember all your great JUDDD insights then and how helpful and kind you were to everyone.
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:25 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Cuttie, your stats are very much like mine were when I started dieting LC back in Jan. I'm only five feet and I weighed 143 lb back then. My DD calculate at the very low 300's and when I did 500 DD I couldn't lose. It wasn't until I went down to 300 DD that I started losing again. Are you doing 500 cal DD because it has been calculated for you on the Dr Johnson site or because you are choosing to on your own? I don't know your age, I'm 53. We are so similar, I would hate to see you make the same mistake on your DD that I did and waste the time that I did. just wanted to give you a heads up. Good luck!
Vanessa
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:52 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I just noticed you say " small portions of what's for dinner". On UD. Even one or two hundred calories over can keep you from losing. You need to count and measure everything. You really should never "guesstimate". You would be surprised at how off you can be.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:34 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tamilda
Stats: 270/215/145
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 8/09/11 Atkins @ 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post

On my current plan, I average around 800 cal/day. With JUDDD, I'd average 1200 cal/day (400 DD, 2000UD). When I've bumped my daily calorie intake to 1000 or above, I've always stalled. I can appreciate that JUDDD apparently works by essentially keeping your metabolism "guessing", but in the last analysis I don't think that I would lose much with taking in an average of 1200 cal/day. If I adopt JUDDD, I think that I'd rather stick with 1600 cal on UD.

I was Atkins 72 since August of 2011 and lost initially 5 lbs and stayed there even though I consumed between 1200 and 1500 calories a day. I changed to JUDDDD in March and my dd calories are at around 400, most dd I eat 200-300 calories. My ud are at aprox. 2000 calories. I stick to 2000 as closely as possible as I learned cutting back those calories on an ud did not help the process. That averages out to about 1100 to 1200 calories a day. As an Atkins dieter for years, I had the mentality of lower carbs and calories, more weight loss and that worked about 10 years ago, not any longer. I have lost 34 lbs this way and I plan to continue until I reach my goal. I still eat low carb as well. It is completely do-able, just gotta get over that fence
Old 05-27-2012, 05:50 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks for such a delightful and detailed post. I've never tried JUDDD but am interested in the concept. I know that most folks here state that you must eat up to your calculated calories on UDs to make the program work. This just seems counter-intuitive to me. Are there any folks who have had good results eating 75% to 80% of their "normal" calories on UDs?

Thanks,
Hi Abby! Welcome to our group!! I am just a newbie myself but other Judders have always engouraged us to eat all our UD calories to lose. some that miss their UP cal by about 100 or 200 tend to stall. I know this type of eating sometimes doesn't make sense. I used to think why bother even rotating. just eat 1200 cal and you should lose. I guess the magic is in the stress of eating a low DD. Definetly give it a try. Never did a diet that I pigged out so much and maintained!! Thats crazy!! lol I need to get back to 143!! Best of luck to you!
Old 05-27-2012, 05:53 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberino View Post
What a great post! I think I got a little carried away in the beginning because I came from low carb for 3 years to this wonderful plan, which allows you to eat any food desired. Say what?

Good job maintaining and congratulations on such a GREAT attitude...it sure helps when you approach this WOE with that mindset.

Kim

Abby - I know it seems counter intuitive, but trust me, the plan works if followed as directed. When I average my UD (1693) and my DD (393), it comes to about 1000 cals per day.
Hi Kim, thanks! At some point we just need to relax and have fun.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:55 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitlin' View Post
Cuttie, I agree that I, too, want to thank you for the detailed post. It helps to hear a clear explanation of how things have gone for you. When I first did JUDDD I don't remember having to count calories on UDs as much as I do now, and that may have been because of somewhat different work I did then, my schedule, or that I was a bit younger. Now I see that counting on BOTH days really helps you see the path to weight loss clearly. All best wishes to you.

Leo41, I used to post here in '09 into '10 and now have come back to find everything quite different and really popping with activity but I certainly remember all your great JUDDD insights then and how helpful and kind you were to everyone.
Thanks whitlin! Best wishes to you too!
Old 05-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffabuff View Post
Cuttie, your stats are very much like mine were when I started dieting LC back in Jan. I'm only five feet and I weighed 143 lb back then. My DD calculate at the very low 300's and when I did 500 DD I couldn't lose. It wasn't until I went down to 300 DD that I started losing again. Are you doing 500 cal DD because it has been calculated for you on the Dr Johnson site or because you are choosing to on your own? I don't know your age, I'm 53. We are so similar, I would hate to see you make the same mistake on your DD that I did and waste the time that I did. just wanted to give you a heads up. Good luck!
Vanessa
Hi Vanessa, I am in my 30's. I just picked 500 so I can eat more. At dinner I do count my calories but as you can see on my post I have not been very successful at it! I first need to spend some time actually eating my appropriate 1800 cal. If I eat that amount with 500 and see I don't budge I will play with the numbers. Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-27-2012, 06:16 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Here's my update. Yesterday I started off good, had my low cal breakfast, but then I had to do some unexpected servicing to my car which happened to be right next to a famous Beard award restaurant that I always wanted to go to! Well how could I pass up eating a famous burger? ( see how I practice my signature) So I had cheeseburger, a few fries and some famous icecream. I felt a little guilty afterwards because the food was not amazing! So I blew my calories on a crappy meal.

So I still had about 500 cal left for the day which I said I will have a light dinner. This way I rationalized that "I can have my cake and eat it too" idea. I enjoyed my burger AND will stay within my cals. So That was THE plan. Well.....things change. lol I spent the whole afternoon shopping, was a tired and felt I "deserve" a good meal instead of a sandwich. Here is where my mind can play some good games. I am sure you are all familair with this....lol. I had a little angel telling me.. eat the dam sandwich and the little devil saying, its the holiday weekend, just enjoy yourself... have some high sodium chinese instead with fried egg rolls, fried wontons and curry shrimp with vegs. So the little devil won.

I enjoyed the meal very much. Was sooo yummy. Today I was 155 up from 152... But I take full responsibility. This is life, it will have its bumps... I just need to decide when I will finally get my act together. Now the excuse in my head is... it's memorial day... don't want to miss out... So I just need to accept the consequences as they come. I worked out this morning and am keeping up with that. today is my DD which I will do. Tomorrow I have to decide whether It will be another uuaad or if I will make it a 1800 cal day.

there is always a give and take in life. Its funny as I am writing this I am realizing how I am purposely sabataging myself and should know better... I guess on Monday I should really TRY very hard and try to find a balance of fun with food AND stick with my cals! I hope I do. if I dont there is always a new day. It's not the end of the world....I have my whole life ahead of me. Take care!
Old 05-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Cuttie, I enjoyed reading the story of your journey so far. Congratulations on the good results you are getting. It's fun, isn't it?!!! Yup, calories do matter. LOL

And, yes.. of course there will be a lot of weight fluctuation on this plan! First of all, we are experiencing alternating days of full gut and pretty emptied gut, so just the bulk of our food intake varies.

And then, since we can eat any foods we want to include in our menus, we often add back in some of those salty foods, like a fabulous Chinese meal with all the extras, and retain some water weight, or... we add back in some of those carby foods, and retain some water weight, so we're usually up and down in water weight every few days. At least it isn't body FAT, but it makes the scale readings pretty unreliable in the short term. LOL

Glad you're enjoying JUDDD and your freedom to live your life now with it including some meals from restaurants that sound fun to try, or some good Chinese sometimes. And all of this while losing body fat as well! How very satisfying!!!!!
Old 05-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #19

Quote:

Thanks,
Quote:

Hi, Abby! I was just going to say that we all get to follow JUDDD the way we want too. For almost all, this way of cycling calories provides for weight loss.

Some hold their Down Days to the suggested *500-calories* of the 2-week Induction period.. forever. They never do lower to a %20 calorie number, and they lose weight just fine. Some choose to do a 100% fast on DDs, and JUDDD works just fine for them too. Others here have started out doing Down Days of 700 calories (and even a bit above that) because they knew they would never be able to hold to 500 and fewer cals.. they'd fold and quit.. and they lost weight too. So that only means that their DD calorie number was one of the higher percentages which are given to us on the JUDDD Calorie Calculator.

In the same way, you get to decide whether you want to hold to the Up Day calorie figure that the JUDDD Calorie Calculator calls your *Normal* calorie number for your UDs.

Some don't even count their Up Day calories and mostly just eat freely and find that merely by holding to their Down Day calories accurately and truly, they are able to lose weight.

And some don't eat up to their UD calorie number, and they lose weight too. In fact, Dr. Johnson says that it isn't necessary to eat up to that number if you can't/don't feel like it.

Our gut feeling is usually that if we eat less, we'll lose weight more assuredly, faster, etc. And we do look at the JUDDD way of eating calories in/calories burned as surely being the same as any other weight loss plan that calls for counting calories/eating less to bring about weight loss.

But I truly believe that when the aspect of fasting/near fasting is thrown into the mix, it does activate another facet in this experience. Overall, those who eat at about their UD calorie numbers seem to be able to not only lose weight, but to be able to rev up their metabolisms. While holding every day and week and a lifetime down to very low calories overall seems to really bring metabolic function down to the pace of a slug, taking in that full complement of calories ever other day seems to promote an awakening of our metabolic burn ability somehow. There seems to be something almost magical about the alternate up/down pounding between the low fasting calories and the high feasting calories that stimulates our bodies to function at a faster clip. Eventually.

There are some that lose pounds right off the bat and others who have to give this a little while to work, but it seems that there is so much that is healing to our *inner workings* about this plan, and increasing our metabolism is one big plus for a lot of us.
It's worth a try, certainly.

I'm 69 years old now, have been hypothyroid (Hashi's, as are most) for decades now, have had gall bladder out for decades too. I had got to the point in my life where my metabolism was slow, slower, slowest. I was obese. I hated it. I hated that I could hardly eat anything without weight gain, and had to eat almost nothing in order to lose anything, that low carb didn't work for me, didn't suppress my appetite. That I had to cut calories on an every-day diet plan to lose weight, which then goaded my body to slow my metabolism even more!

Through JUDDD, and following this plan, and.. I should add.. by eating fully and richly on my UDs, my metabolism is now functioning at a better burn rate BY FAR than it has in decades! And I'm not alone in this outcome!

This may not work for everyone, but for the majority of us who have done this for a fairly long period of time, the metabolism functions better and allows for a higher calorie number to be enjoyed in our lives now! Pure pleasure!

If you choose to do UDs at several hundreds of calories less than your suggested number, you most certainly can. And I would expect you can lose weight. It stalls some people out, but you can force the issue by holding low forever. But I do think it's worth thinking about higher UD calories as a curative step for your metabolism, despite the fact that it may take awhile to get going with the weight loss part of JUDDD. But the better health and revved up metabolism is an even better result of this plan.

Hope you'll join us here! It's a lot of fun and great people. Very friendly and supportive now, very active, and so much success!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: 150?/?/135 52yo
WOE: JUDDDish
Pat, you are the BEST! I was waiting for this post in response to what's been said. I so appreciate you taking the time and effort to remind us - again - of how and why Juddd works. You keep thinking you must get tired of saying it again and again, tailoring it to our particular questions. Just want to let you know that I appreciate reading it every time,
Kristin
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Maerow
Stats: 185/137/130
WOE: Low carb - various plans
Start Date: July 2005 (low carb)
Quote:

Kim

I did the same thing. I was low carb for the last....oh gosh over 5 years. So I went a little nuts when I started JUDDD. Now I am reining myself in a bit to try to up my losses. I totally know what you mean about getting carried away!
Maerow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #22

Quote:
..........I think I got a little carried away in the beginning because I came from low carb for 3 years to this wonderful plan, which allows you to eat any food desired..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerow View Post
..........I did the same thing. I was low carb for the last....oh gosh over 5 years. So I went a little nuts when I started JUDDD..........
I did too. I think many of us do. LOLOL

And I think it is because of sheer and utterly blissful joy and relief!!!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Stats: 227/175/? 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: started JUDDD 3/22/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
But I truly believe that when the aspect of fasting/near fasting is thrown into the mix, it does activate another facet in this experience. Overall, those who eat at about their UD calorie numbers seem to be able to not only lose weight, but to be able to rev up their metabolisms. While holding every day and week and a lifetime down to very low calories overall seems to really bring metabolic function down to the pace of a slug, taking in that full complement of calories ever other day seems to promote an awakening of our metabolic burn ability somehow. There seems to be something almost magical about the alternate up/down pounding between the low fasting calories and the high feasting calories that stimulates our bodies to function at a faster clip. Eventually.

There are some that lose pounds right off the bat and others who have to give this a little while to work, but it seems that there is so much that is healing to our *inner workings* about this plan, and increasing our metabolism is one big plus for a lot of us.
It's worth a try, certainly.
Pat, your entire post was excellent, and want to speak to the portion I snipped.

The majority of my DDs are water fasts; they are just very easy for me and I feel great. When I do eat on a DD it is very minimal, usually some fresh-picked veggie straight from my garden and well under 100 calories. My UD calories use the weight I started JUDDD - 31 pounds ago - which is right around 2,000 calories (a few more).

I've pondered several times whether to re-calculate my UD calories to reflect my current weight (and thus, fewer calories) and have decided against it (at least for now).

I've mentioned here before that for many, many years (several decades) the "feast or famine" style of eating was pretty much how I instinctively ate and was very slender, very healthy and had tons of energy.

My goal is not to lose weight at any speed record even though I've initially lost at a pretty good clip. My goal is to try and retrain my metabolism so as I continue my weight loss journey I'm not ending up only being able to maintain with a small number of calories. There may be a time on down the road where I'll need to adjust the UD calorie limit, but maybe not. I look at some of the gals who are "maintaining" and they're still losing which tells me their metabolism is healthy and able to deal with the extra calories allowed at the maintenance level.

As with any "diet", everyone must find their "groove" and make it their own so it genuinely IS their "way of eating", their "way of life"... so that it's easy for them to stay on it and be happy, easy to stay on it and feel good. I know I'll be happier if I can end up still having generous calories to look forward to.
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
I've come from Atkins where I stalled after slowly dropping 7lbs. I lost a further 2 lbs on JUDDD but it was slow.

I can only lose at a good rate (1lb a week or more) if I restrict my UD calories to around 1200 and stay low carb. I find it too hard to dip below 500 on DDs. I'm tall, fit and active.

Maintenance will be a breeze on JUDDD and many find can even bring more loss. I'm just an in a hurry girl.
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

I was just thinking cutie, without adding in excercise you UD calories would be about 1,500. How have you determined that you are burning 300 calories a week with excercise. Besides what the thing calculates for three to five days of excercise. For instance, when I'm good and excercise, I use a nautilus machine which does all the calories and miles and such for me. From what I've been reading on the site is that it seems to be the opinion here that it is wise to not add back the calories you burn excercising back into what you're eating. I have been reading your posts very carefully and you seem to be working against yourself a bitI think you referred to it as self sabotage. It seems you keep forgetting that once you really really stick to it 100% you will begin to reap the rewards of not just weight loss but the other benefits of this woe. I'm basically speaking of the appetite suppression. You have to suffer a wee bit to get to your sweet spot where you will feel the beauty of this woe. I always say, we don't live in our houses or our cars, we live in our bodies, the temples of our souls. You need to be kind to yourself. You have already accomplished an impressive amount of weight lossI am tiny like you. I know every pound on our frame looks like five, I feel your pain. Don't sell yourself short ( no pun intended) . You are three quarters of the way there. You already know that this is something you can do. I'll be your tough love Buddd if you want one? Try to be strong through the three day weekend, BBQ are great for low cal cooking lol
Vanessa

Last edited by Muffabuff; 05-27-2012 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: Mistake u would have to burn 900-1200 cals per week with excercise to do 1800 on UD
Old 05-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Thank you, SoHappy, for your generous welcome and informative post. I certainly see the power of JUDDD, particularly as a maintenance tool. For those like myself who are a little toooooooooo impatient in life, JUDDD probably is not the answer for maximal rate of weight loss.

However, because it is so "freeing", it may allow many to persist with a weight reduction plan who otherwise would rapidly abandon more traditional diets which DEMAND daily sacrifice!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do very well with Stillman as long as I avoid "mini" binges (like last night at Fenway Park). Perhaps the go slow but liberal aspect of JUDDD better prevents such episodes.

Thanks again,
Old 05-27-2012, 10:57 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Buttercup204
Stats: 204/197/165
WOE: NK/JUDDD
I know I had to curb my carb consumption on UDs as well as DDs but i allow myself a treat on an UD to help me stay on plan and it's working. I don't go crazy, a few bites of the carby stuff is plenty for me if I've eaten well all day so it seems to be working for now. If I go off the rails and eat too much junk or carbs on my UDs I don't lose, I just maintain. I also stick pretty strictly to just low cal protein shakes on my DDs to control my calories accurately. I have proven many times to underestimate my cals when I track lol. I don't count calories really, just how many shakes I had. Then my UD is freer to enjoy higher carb counts like a good steak, w/sweet potato fries and veggies with butter, yogurt, or low carb muffins (blueberry). Yummy. I definitely can eat more luxuriously on my UDs nowadays and I love that. However besides the better weight loss, I stick with mostly low carb because it helps my appetitie on DDs and I feel better and more energetic all around. I just feel healthier in general that way. Just thought maybe I could offer this as an idea to help. :-)
2nd Mini-goal: 190
3rd Mini-goal: 185
4th Mini-goal: 180
5th Mini-goal: 175
6th Mini -goal: 170
Goal: 155-165 & size 8/10 or whatever weight gets rid of my wobbly bits!
Buttercup204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:57 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffabuff View Post
I was just thinking cutie, without adding in excercise you UD calories would be about 1,500. How have you determined that you are burning 300 calories a week with excercise. Besides what the thing calculates for three to five days of excercise. For instance, when I'm good and excercise, I use a nautilus machine which does all the calories and miles and such for me. From what I've been reading on the site is that it seems to be the opinion here that it is wise to not add back the calories you burn excercising back into what you're eating. I have been reading your posts very carefully and you seem to be working against yourself a bitI think you referred to it as self sabotage. It seems you keep forgetting that once you really really stick to it 100% you will begin to reap the rewards of not just weight loss but the other benefits of this woe. I'm basically speaking of the appetite suppression. You have to suffer a wee bit to get to your sweet spot where you will feel the beauty of this woe. I always say, we don't live in our houses or our cars, we live in our bodies, the temples of our souls. You need to be kind to yourself. You have already accomplished an impressive amount of weight lossI am tiny like you. I know every pound on our frame looks like five, I feel your pain. Don't sell yourself short ( no pun intended) . You are three quarters of the way there. You already know that this is something you can do. I'll be your tough love Buddd if you want one? Try to be strong through the three day weekend, BBQ are great for low cal cooking lol
Vanessa
Hi Vanessa!!! You are absolutely right. with no exercise its about 1500. Where did I come up with 1800... 62, wt 151 at 20% wt loss, exercise 3-5 days its 1900. I just picked 1800. I think 1500 is a bit low. i am a hungry girl! Are you saying if I eat 1500 I will lose weight faster? What do you suggest? What does the group suggest?

You are also right about the self sabotage. I also would benefit from the appetite suppression, I think its a little better. Sometimes I eat things just for its taste not nessecarily that I am hungry. I have been extremely disciplined with HCG and learned a lot about restriction and being patient. I should not have any excuse now for not following this protocol to the T. I think the reason I am slacking off a bit is because I just needed a break from being so strict. But this "break" never seems to end!!! I do realize that by slacking off I have GAINED wt!! I was 143 and now am 153!! 10 lbs from having fun! I have to definelty start getting serious and commit to it 100% as you said for sure. The problem is this little devil voice that has showed up talking me into trouble lol.

Like this morning I was having breakfast for my up day. the plan was 150 cal and it ended up 300. Now I need to make a conscious effort to avoid eating too much for the rest of the day. I also feel that my husband is a bad influence on me too BUT I can't blame him. he was here when I did HCG and I was disiplined back then too. I would love for you to be my tough Judd budd! I definely don't want to go back to 200! I already exercised today and plan to go for a walk too. the other issue is I am going on vacation in 2 weeks and I wanted to lose a few before the trip and haven't. I really need to get serious. I have worked too hard to start slipping again.

I think the other issue is how forgiving Juddd is. If I knew that Juddd was not forgiving I think I would be a lot more strictor. I should NOT abuse it!! Thanks for caring and sending some tough love. I went shopping yesterday and had a wonderful time trying on size tens and everything looked great. I never want to be fat again! Will work very hard to stay within my cals today!
Old 05-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #29

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
atta girl!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Cuttie, yes I absolutely think that you should be doing 1,500 calories UD. We are all "hungry girls". That is why we are over weight. But if you do not follow this woe to the letter from the very start you will never enjoy the benefits of its appetite suppression. Excercise is good and I'm proud of you for excercising. We have an average of 3.5 UD per week, you are eating 300 extra calories on your UD, which means that by counting your excercise you are eating 1,000 calories more a week than if you did not count your excercise. Do you believe that you are burning 1,000 calorie a week by excercising.
When I excercise I do so on my Natualis machine, I do pretty hard high intensity interval training. It takes me a little over 30 minutes to burn 200 calories. Keep in mind that I am working against a significant amount of resistance from the settings on my machine. When you run or work out to a tape you are not up against any resistance, so in 30 minutes you are most likely not burning 200 calories perhaps half that. Dr. Johnson makes a point of saying ( I can't quote him exactly) that if you're not burning at least a certain amount of calories in x amount of time, it should not be entered into the equation of calories to be eaten.
Since there is no way to be certain of the calories you are burning from excercising it seems dangerous to me to assume and give yourself 1,000 extra to eat each and every week. It takes 3,500 to gain a pound, you eat 4,000 extra every month.
I keep saying how few calories it takes over or under to throw off the delicate balance of Juddd so calorie guessing about anything is really a crap shoot.
I don't quite remember when you are going on vacation, but be honest with yourself about whether or not you will be able to stick to this woe while on vacation. If you can't then just don't and enjoy yourself. But resolve when you get back whether or not you want to do Juddd. You can't do Juddd part time or most if the time. You won't succeed if you do Juddd EXCEPT when it's someone's birthday, baby shower, engagement, three day weekend, on and on ad on. Weight loss and better health will either be your priority or it will not.
It is not rocket science, as one of our lovely ladies says , it is simple.
When you are completely and utterly sick and tired of of being where you are physically and emotionally that is when you most likely will be ready to begin Juddd. That is when I was ready and was lucky enough to find Juddd.
Only you will know when that time has come.
Your UD are too high. Your DD are too high.
You know what to do. Now just decide if the time is now. As always we are all here to help and support you.
Vanessa

Last edited by Muffabuff; 05-28-2012 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: Even Juddd has limits on forgiveness