Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
A better Da Vinci

I was just reading the coconut thread again and it got me thinking. I know how us gals love our flavored syrupsso I thought I'd share a little something something. The only vanilla sugar free syrup I will use is Da Vinci. I buy four bottles and pour two each into two glass jugs. I take four of the really big plump vanilla beans I get online, split them in half. I put four halves of vanilla bean in each of the two jugs. Shake shake shake everyday for at least three to four weeks and you will have a sf vanilla syrup from the Gods.
While you're enjoying one jug the other is only getting better. When you finish the first jug, make a new jug which will marinate and be ready for you by the time you are finished with your second jug. Just keep this rotation going and you will never run out. And if nothing else we know how it rotate. You will not find a better vanilla latte anywhere, I promise.
Note: this will not turn out quite as wonderful with the dried out,shriveled vanilla beans sold at supermarkets. They are terrible and much more expensive.
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Terilynn
Stats: back to LC 1/6/14, going to stick to & make it
WOE: LC
That sounds AWESOME
Where do you get the vanilla beans? Are you using the small or large bottles of Da Vinci syrup?
Terilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
Hmm an interesting idea. I bought a pound of vanilla beans and used it to make my extract but didnt know what to do with the rest of them or how long they will last am so dumb I hardly use vanilla extract since I dont bake that much lol
soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I get them from Amadeus vanilla beans. I forgot to mention that you can reuse the beans for several months usually. I also get those really big glass jars and layer pieces of split bean and sugar over and over to make vanilla sugar to use in baking or lattes. It also makes a lovely gift. I buy fifty at a time and vacu seal them to keep them fresh.
Vanessa

Last edited by Muffabuff; 05-25-2012 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: The really large bottles
Old 05-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
What a great idea!

We live in the region where DaVinci is made and are very lucky to be able to get the large bottles of any flavor for about $3.60. Any oh boy, there are LOTS of Sugar Free flavors. I use the plain, used to be called Simple Syrup, now just "Sweetner" in my tea. Hubby uses the SF Root Beer flavor making barbecue sauce. And, we do keep SF vanilla which we use when making lattes so I am anxious to try your recipe. Thanks so much for posting.
NoWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWeigh View Post
What a great idea!

We live in the region where DaVinci is made and are very lucky to be able to get the large bottles of any flavor for about $3.60. Any oh boy, there are LOTS of Sugar Free flavors. I use the plain, used to be called Simple Syrup, now just "Sweetner" in my tea. Hubby uses the SF Root Beer flavor making barbecue sauce. And, we do keep SF vanilla which we use when making lattes so I am anxious to try your recipe. Thanks so much for posting.
Great idea! No Weigh, do you know if the Simple Syrup can be heated without problems? I want to make a sugar free cocktail that calls for ginger syrup and I don't see that anywhere as sugar free. So I thought I would make my own with real ginger root, but I was told I need to heat the syrup to release the full flavor of the ginger. Any thoughts on that?

I am going to order some vanilla beans!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
Bev I love the idea of a ginger syrup and maybe putting in some ginger pieces just like the vanilla bean idea. If u ever figure out how to make it could u let us know or if u ever see a sf ginger syrup for sale.
soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Sungoddess, I make my own simple syrup to feed to the humming birds, I made a batch just last night. You must use heat to make it. I can't imagine why heat would be detrimental to the sf syrup. Another way to make the ginger infusion stronger would be to use the blender a bit to chop up the ginger into pretty small pieces while they infuse. Then strain the mixture through cheesecloth when you are ready to use it. I line a funnel with several layers of it and slowly pour it through and squeeze any that's left over so there is no waste.
Good luck, hope it comes out yummy.
Vanessa
Old 05-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffabuff View Post
Sungoddess, I make my own simple syrup to feed to the humming birds, I made a batch just last night. You must use heat to make it. I can't imagine why heat would be detrimental to the sf syrup. Another way to make the ginger infusion stronger would be to use the blender a bit to chop up the ginger into pretty small pieces while they infuse. Then strain the mixture through cheesecloth when you are ready to use it. I line a funnel with several layers of it and slowly pour it through and squeeze any that's left over so there is no waste.
Good luck, hope it comes out yummy.
Vanessa
You're the best!! Thank you
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Let me know how it turns out
Old 05-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Fwiw....I like the Torani vanilla syrup many hundred of times more than the DV. I can only find small Torani bottles around here, at WalMart for $4...found a huge bottle of DV at Home Goods for $5 or 6, was very happy...til I got it home & opened it.
Not *bad* in any way, just disappointing.
Never expected there to be so much difference between 2 brands!

I find even the aroma of the Torani absolutely intoxicating!
I could just rub it all over myself

Thanks for the vanilla bean suggestion!

Last edited by piratejenny; 05-26-2012 at 08:38 PM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:10 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
Great idea! No Weigh, do you know if the Simple Syrup can be heated without problems?
We have used SF DaVincini to cook with without a problem. I use the Simple Syrup in my tea which is hot. It is made from liquid Splenda and it's all intended to be used in hot coffees. Well, there are a lot of flavors that are probably better in cold drinks like the Peach or Strawberry.
NoWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: laceylady
Stats: 16w(190)/size 14(175)/size 12
Start Date: Jan 2012/restart May 2013
(FYI: If you have access to a "Cash & Carry" store (appears to be a west-coast supplier), they carry the large bottles of DaVinci for under $4. I enjoy the SF DaVinci in my coffee but haven't experimented with it with anything else...)
laceylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Muffabuff, what a fabulous idea to add additional richness and depth to the sf Vanilla flavoring syrup! It sounds extra yummy.

Now if I could just add some Bailey's to the Irish Cream flavored bottle of DaVinci's, I'd be in heaven!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #15
lavender and lace

Gallery: Violet_Dream
Stats: 178/167.8/135 ~5'10"~
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/18/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by laceylady View Post
(FYI: If you have access to a "Cash & Carry" store (appears to be a west-coast supplier), they carry the large bottles of DaVinci for under $4. I enjoy the SF DaVinci in my coffee but haven't experimented with it with anything else...)
We do! There's a Cash & Carry less than five miles from us. They have Torani too.

I would not pay $7 or $8 for the 25.4 ounce bottles of any flavor when we get them any of them for under $4.

Last edited by Violet_Dream; 05-27-2012 at 01:16 PM..
Violet_Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Pat your positively wicked