Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cuttie99
Stats: 5'2 171
WOE: post hcg, lost 60lbs
Start Date: Juddd 4/30, restarted 11/30
Dumb question about DD

I was wondering. Do most people that eat the lower calories on the DD lose weight faster? So if I eat 150 calories vs 500 cal on my DD's will I lose weight faster?

Or what is the difference between the 2? I also know that every body reacts differently to the DD cals. Just trying to figure out why there are so many levels 20% ... 50%....... I am missing something.... lol Thanks!!!
cuttie99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
It is so variable. The % are given, I think, to give some freedom and flexibility. Some may find it just not possible to go as low as 20%, but rather than quitting completely, they can choose a higher %, and the plan will still work.

However, some find that if they go too low on their DD's, the stress response is too deep and they don't recover enough on the UD that their losses are actually stalled by the low DD. We have some here who lost wonderfully without every going below 600-700 calorie DD's. Others need to go to the 20% to make the loss happen.

You just need to try something, give it 2 weeks, and see how it works for you. Since everyone is different, the differing %'s make allowance for that.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: msack3889
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 7/4/2012
And if 2 weeks doesn't work, try 3 or 4. After 2 weeks I had only lost 1 lb. There were variables that I needed to eliminate before giving up on the diet. For me, I couldn't eat only 374 (20% on the site's calculator), and I was eating between 500 and 650. After 2 weeks, my hunger subsided a lot, and I was able to reduce down almost the recommended level (I think I had 390), and now it's been almost 3 weeks and I am down almost 4 lbs.

I'm not losing as quickly as I have on other diets, *but* it is easier than low carb and HCG. AND more importantly, it is a WOE I can see doing long term, or even forever..
Old 05-24-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/125/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
First of all, there is no such thing as a "dumb question" (unless you were asking, "why would I want to eat all this yummy food on my up days? LOL).

Second, Dr Johnson, the Dr that developed the plan, says in his book that complete fasting is the best thing to do to activate our SIRT gene and reap the most benefits, BUT since very few people have the resolve or inclination to completely fast, he designed the very moderate calorie plan that will still allow us to reap the benefits, but perhaps not quite as quickly. That's how I understand it.
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

thank you all for all your responses. It makes sense now. I couldn't either remember or figure why there were different levels. Its good to know that Dr J prefers the lowest amount of calories. I personally have been doing 500 and was wondering if by lowering it I would lose faster. I guess if one day I can eat less I would but I do treasure the few that I get!! Thanks a bunch!!
Old 05-24-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
HI.. Just my thoughts here.. Faster is not really "better" I know where your comming from .. we get so exctied when we see that subborn scale move.. but if you lose to fast then you could be actually losing more than just the fat... Also.. I chose the 120 cals on my DD.. Easy enough to do .. how ever.. Since i have lost weight without exersize for my muscles.. i have quite the ugly flesh hanging now.. So fast is not really good.. plus they say..(not sure who "they" are ) But .. Faster means you can gain it back... slower gives your body a chance to adjust to fat being flushed out and eliminting the fat cells once they are empty for a while.. So lets go slow and steady.. Those with lots to lose can safely lose up to 2.5 to 3pds per week.. and those that are like only 20 pounds over weight .... should really be looking at 1-1.5 per week.. I have been reading alot on whats safe..and how to keep it off once its gone.. I may be all wrong with this post.. and if i misrepresened information please let me know.. i dont want to stear any one in the wrong way of thinking.. Good luck girl~
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Kimberly. you are right about going slowww! thanks for the average losses people have! I guess I should aim for 1 to 2 lbs a week. I am soo used to 6! with HCG! lol The good news I am in no rush. I am close to maintainence. just need maybe 15 to 20 lbs. But I am soo happy with myself now being a size 10 instead of 18!! I appreciate my body now! But a few extra more pounds wouldn't hurt. So glad you posted because I was thinking about your 120 dd and was wondering if you did that to lose weight faster or you couldn't lose at a higher cal.

What ever you are craving now will be there for you to eat when you are done losing weight!!
Old 05-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Well i have recently switched to eating up to 400 cals on my down days only so i can work out on those days.. have i lost since.. answer is very very slow.. i am averaging about half a pound a week and i am about 20 pounds from goal.. So my plan for these next 20 is to build muscle.. change the way my body looks and feels and the weight will follow at its own pace.. Best of luck to you~
To answer your quesiton.. i belived that less was best.. they say in the book that it was intened for zero cals for the way the plan was started.. and i thought if i could go as low as i could i would lose better.. My energy levels have dropped while not feeding.. and i have learned alot about my body.. i know now.. i have not been eating enough carbs in the healthy section ( still no real sugar, potatoes, or pasta or white rice).. So to build my healthy body i need to eat more of these prior to work outs due to i think i have put my body into a stress responce due to the starvation mode didnt end.. So i would recomend.. please eat on your down days..

Last edited by sterlinggirl; 05-24-2012 at 11:01 AM..
Old 05-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: RenoMom
Stats: 300/294/199
WOE: JUDDD started 300
Start Date: 4/29/13
I have only been on JUDDD for 3 weeks today. I stay under 500 on DD, my number is like 430, sometimes Im that low some times as much as 500 but never over 500. My UD I eat as close to my number as I can atleast within 100 -150 cals of it. I have lost 9lbs in 3 weeks so far.
RenoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoMom View Post
I have only been on JUDDD for 3 weeks today. I stay under 500 on DD, my number is like 430, sometimes Im that low some times as much as 500 but never over 500. My UD I eat as close to my number as I can atleast within 100 -150 cals of it. I have lost 9lbs in 3 weeks so far.
Girl you are sooo rocking this woe~ i love it!
Old 05-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

congrats arlene! and u had asked before if You could lose? great job! lol!
Old 05-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sonica
Stats: 280.5/180.0/160
WOE: JUDDD
I started on May 8 and was between 5-600 on my DD's - for me, I started losing better when I got around 750 on my DD's. So it really is an individual thing
Sonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonica View Post
I started on May 8 and was between 5-600 on my DD's - for me, I started losing better when I got around 750 on my DD's. So it really is an individual thing
Old 05-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonica View Post
Posts like this ALWAYS make me happy!
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #15
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I ate 700 calories from the start every DD, never more, sometimes a bit less but never less than 600 and I lost at a record speed.

I think it's depends on how your body reacts to calorie restriction of ANY kind.

I also think if you don't have to go lower to lose why would you? If you can eat 500 calories and lose or eat 150 calories and lose it just makes sense to eat more, I think. And it's not been proven anywhere that eating less will result in a quicker lose. Actually some have found it slowed down their weight loss when they didn't eat up to their DD and UD calories.

YOU GOTTA EAT!!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oropendola
Stats: 221.4/186.6/160
WOE: Belly Fat Cure -> JUDDD -> JUDDD + DrK
Start Date: January 2, 2012 -> March 8 -> July 6
I started at 500 and lost very little at first. I upped my calories to 500-600 and lost more, strange, I know. I stayed there a while and wondered the same thing as you...will I lose more if I eat less on my down days. I went down to 368 calories (where the JUDDD calculator says I should be) for a week and every UD during that week I had uncontrolable binges. I didn't always go over my calories for the day, but I was sneaking food at odd times and generally felt out of control. I think my psyche thought "Oh NO! She's going to starve me again!" and my body was having none of it.

I upped my calories to 450-550 and lost the urge to binge and am losing weight. I think it's so true the saying...your mileage may vary. It's about trying different things and seeing what works for you. There's no wrong way to find out what works for you, even if you gain a tad. It's all an experiment to see what your body works well with. When you find that, you'll move right along.

Put on your white lab coat and make like a scientist.
oropendola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Sterlingirl I believe that as we lose weight our fat cells shrink, but with the exception of liposuction, the fat cells we have in our bodies cannot be elimated. They are with us forever. They are either filled with lots of fat or not.
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:24 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaSimpson
Stats: 174 goal 140 5'10
WOE: juicing and juddd
Start Date: 01/24/2013
Cutie, one thing you might consider if you loose slow is first of course that you are close to goal and second that you have lost a lot of weight while on hcg. So your body might need a bit of a rest. COuld be that you are maintening that weight for a while, and than you will start losing. Just my 5 cents.

Sterling, I think it's great that you started to work out, I need to get myself starting again... Could it be that you loose less atm because you are building up muscle? I mean they weight more then the fat does...
RebeccaSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:57 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Great post, Wonder Oro, and great discussion. I started at the weeniest DD recommended - it was about 315 cals, felt like I could only smell my food before going over that - and I ended up going bingey-nutty on UDs after a couple of weeks. Felt like I'd been whipped off one of those twirly rides in the park. I regrouped and raised my DDs by 100-150 cals and life is feeling a LOT rosier now. Slow losses but sane, happy days
I find it takes faith in yourself to 1.Stick to it for long enough to get it working, and then 2. Tweak the numbers without jumping ship altogether.
I'm SOOOO grateful for the steady, experienced voices on this forum.
Kristin
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:37 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffabuff View Post
Sterlingirl I believe that as we lose weight our fat cells shrink, but with the exception of liposuction, the fat cells we have in our bodies cannot be elimated. They are with us forever. They are either filled with lots of fat or not.
Thanks sweetie. was not sure what happens to them..
Old 05-25-2012, 06:39 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaSimpson View Post
Cutie, one thing you might consider if you loose slow is first of course that you are close to goal and second that you have lost a lot of weight while on hcg. So your body might need a bit of a rest. COuld be that you are maintening that weight for a while, and than you will start losing. Just my 5 cents.

Sterling, I think it's great that you started to work out, I need to get myself starting again... Could it be that you loose less atm because you are building up muscle? I mean they weight more then the fat does...
I know in time that will be the case.. but i dont think only one week of work out has made me crawl.. Funny thing is.. i have upped my caloires on down days and yet i am not seeing really any change in the loss.. still is super slow.. but! i will take very small losses while i get my muscles to cathch up with what i did losing the fat..
Old 05-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #22
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
DDs are very individual. For some they lower the DDs and they lose better. I've done the fasting or almost fasting DDs and it didn't help my loss any and it made me grumpy. I've recently upped my DDs to 700, intending to maintain, and have lost more in the past month than I've lost since the first month of JUDDD. It takes some time to understand your own individual pattern.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:48 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

thank you all for your responses!! Great discussion indeed! Interesting that the majority of the posts state that by eating more they lost more. I wondering why Dr. J recommends fasting as his preference in the book. I have not read the book. I have been eating 500 on dds. I wouldn't mind eating more!! lol. I plan to post a thread tomorrow on my progress.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #24
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
I think Dr. J refers to fasting being best because he's looking at studies that measure the health benefits of JUDDDing. Weight loss is almost secondary in his analysis. He's more concerned with the decrease of inflammation, the resistance to cancer and other diseases of aging studied in the mouse studies. Weight loss, while beneficial, is a (rather nice) side effect. He's not trying to maximize weight loss speed the way many of us are.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: RenoMom
Stats: 300/294/199
WOE: JUDDD started 300
Start Date: 4/29/13
My plan if and when I slow down is to up my DD cals a bit. I know for me at the moment is my metabolism is shot. Right now the 500 is working for me, but when it stop the DD is the 1st one I will adjust.

I look forward to reading your progress.
RenoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Luna for posting that! It makes sense now!
Old 05-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Posting mostly just to subscribe, but also want to add (one year after this post was created) that I was happy with my losses on JUDDD at 20% DDs for the first seven months. Then I tried to step it up a notch, and for the past three months have been losing at a snail's pace while trying extra hard ... eating mostly lower than 20% DD calories and increasing exercise (sometimes having a negative calorie balance on DDs).

I couldn't figure out what was going wrong, so I increased my DD calories to about the 35% number as a break (650-750). I've only been doing this for a week, but in that week I've lost better than I've lost in months (more in that week than in the entire month of April). Everyone's different, but if 20% or less isn't working, try another number.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: desertgirl
Stats: 137/104/108 goal met 6/29/03
WOE: Starting JUDDD at 107.8 lbs 5/8/13.
Start Date: Original start date 3/03 - Atkins
I'm new to JUDDD, but I'm eating significantly less than 500 - partly because I'm so darn short and I weigh so little so my # is 280, but also because I actually find it easier to fast at a lower level than a mid-range level. I'm sure that's just me (and maybe a few others), but letting 200 or 300 more calories in will just make me want to eat more. Keeping my calories lower actually makes my DDs easier.
desertgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #29
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
That's good to hear, Chris. I think I will not try so hard to do lower DDs. I have begun overeating on UDs in direct response to trying so hard to get lower DDs.
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgirl View Post
I'm new to JUDDD, but I'm eating significantly less than 500 - partly because I'm so darn short and I weigh so little so my # is 280, but also because I actually find it easier to fast at a lower level than a mid-range level. I'm sure that's just me (and maybe a few others), but letting 200 or 300 more calories in will just make me want to eat more. Keeping my calories lower actually makes my DDs easier.
That makes complete sense for your weight and height! I weigh a hundred pounds more than you so my situation is different. My 20% number is about 400 calories, but I have been doing this a long time and can go lower, and did ... but I stopped losing well.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote