Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Dumb question about DD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/772507-dumb-question-about-dd.html)

cuttie99 05-24-2012 06:59 AM

Dumb question about DD

I was wondering. Do most people that eat the lower calories on the DD lose weight faster? So if I eat 150 calories vs 500 cal on my DD's will I lose weight faster?

Or what is the difference between the 2? I also know that every body reacts differently to the DD cals. Just trying to figure out why there are so many levels 20% ... 50%....... I am missing something.... lol :dunno:Thanks!!!

mykidsteacher 05-24-2012 07:04 AM

It is so variable. The % are given, I think, to give some freedom and flexibility. Some may find it just not possible to go as low as 20%, but rather than quitting completely, they can choose a higher %, and the plan will still work.

However, some find that if they go too low on their DD's, the stress response is too deep and they don't recover enough on the UD that their losses are actually stalled by the low DD. We have some here who lost wonderfully without every going below 600-700 calorie DD's. Others need to go to the 20% to make the loss happen.

You just need to try something, give it 2 weeks, and see how it works for you. Since everyone is different, the differing %'s make allowance for that.

msack3889 05-24-2012 09:01 AM

And if 2 weeks doesn't work, try 3 or 4. After 2 weeks I had only lost 1 lb. There were variables that I needed to eliminate before giving up on the diet. For me, I couldn't eat only 374 (20% on the site's calculator), and I was eating between 500 and 650. After 2 weeks, my hunger subsided a lot, and I was able to reduce down almost the recommended level (I think I had 390), and now it's been almost 3 weeks and I am down almost 4 lbs.

I'm not losing as quickly as I have on other diets, *but* it is easier than low carb and HCG. AND more importantly, it is a WOE I can see doing long term, or even forever..

mainemom 05-24-2012 09:10 AM

First of all, there is no such thing as a "dumb question" (unless you were asking, "why would I want to eat all this yummy food on my up days? LOL).

Second, Dr Johnson, the Dr that developed the plan, says in his book that complete fasting is the best thing to do to activate our SIRT gene and reap the most benefits, BUT since very few people have the resolve or inclination to completely fast, he designed the very moderate calorie plan that will still allow us to reap the benefits, but perhaps not quite as quickly. That's how I understand it.

cuttie99 05-24-2012 09:31 AM

thank you all for all your responses. It makes sense now. I couldn't either remember or figure why there were different levels. Its good to know that Dr J prefers the lowest amount of calories. I personally have been doing 500 and was wondering if by lowering it I would lose faster. I guess if one day I can eat less I would but I do treasure the few that I get!! Thanks a bunch!!

sterlinggirl 05-24-2012 10:39 AM

HI.. Just my thoughts here.. Faster is not really "better" I know where your comming from .. we get so exctied when we see that subborn scale move.. but if you lose to fast then you could be actually losing more than just the fat... Also.. I chose the 120 cals on my DD.. Easy enough to do .. how ever.. Since i have lost weight without exersize for my muscles.. i have quite the ugly flesh hanging now.. So fast is not really good.. plus they say..(not sure who "they" are ) :hyst: But .. Faster means you can gain it back... slower gives your body a chance to adjust to fat being flushed out and eliminting the fat cells once they are empty for a while.. So lets go slow and steady.. Those with lots to lose can safely lose up to 2.5 to 3pds per week.. and those that are like only 20 pounds over weight .... should really be looking at 1-1.5 per week.. I have been reading alot on whats safe..and how to keep it off once its gone.. I may be all wrong with this post.. and if i misrepresened information please let me know.. i dont want to stear any one in the wrong way of thinking.. Good luck girl~ :hugs:

cuttie99 05-24-2012 10:53 AM

Thanks Kimberly. you are right about going slowww! thanks for the average losses people have! I guess I should aim for 1 to 2 lbs a week. I am soo used to 6! with HCG! lol The good news I am in no rush. I am close to maintainence. just need maybe 15 to 20 lbs. But I am soo happy with myself now being a size 10 instead of 18!! I appreciate my body now! But a few extra more pounds wouldn't hurt. So glad you posted because I was thinking about your 120 dd and was wondering if you did that to lose weight faster or you couldn't lose at a higher cal.

sterlinggirl 05-24-2012 10:57 AM

Well i have recently switched to eating up to 400 cals on my down days only so i can work out on those days.. have i lost since.. answer is very very slow.. i am averaging about half a pound a week and i am about 20 pounds from goal.. So my plan for these next 20 is to build muscle.. change the way my body looks and feels and the weight will follow at its own pace.. Best of luck to you~ :hugs:
To answer your quesiton.. i belived that less was best.. they say in the book that it was intened for zero cals for the way the plan was started.. and i thought if i could go as low as i could i would lose better.. My energy levels have dropped while not feeding.. and i have learned alot about my body.. i know now.. i have not been eating enough carbs in the healthy section ( still no real sugar, potatoes, or pasta or white rice).. So to build my healthy body i need to eat more of these prior to work outs due to i think i have put my body into a stress responce due to the starvation mode didnt end.. So i would recomend.. please eat on your down days..

RenoMom 05-24-2012 10:59 AM

I have only been on JUDDD for 3 weeks today. I stay under 500 on DD, my number is like 430, sometimes Im that low some times as much as 500 but never over 500. My UD I eat as close to my number as I can atleast within 100 -150 cals of it. I have lost 9lbs in 3 weeks so far.

sterlinggirl 05-24-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenoMom (Post 15678008)
I have only been on JUDDD for 3 weeks today. I stay under 500 on DD, my number is like 430, sometimes Im that low some times as much as 500 but never over 500. My UD I eat as close to my number as I can atleast within 100 -150 cals of it. I have lost 9lbs in 3 weeks so far.

:jumpjoy::eek::clap: Girl you are sooo rocking this woe~ :hugs: i love it!

cuttie99 05-24-2012 11:50 AM

congrats arlene! and u had asked before if You could lose? great job! lol!

Sonica 05-24-2012 12:07 PM

I started on May 8 and was between 5-600 on my DD's - for me, I started losing better when I got around 750 on my DD's. So it really is an individual thing

sterlinggirl 05-24-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonica (Post 15678204)
I started on May 8 and was between 5-600 on my DD's - for me, I started losing better when I got around 750 on my DD's. So it really is an individual thing

:goodpost:

ellgee 05-24-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonica (Post 15678204)

Posts like this ALWAYS make me happy! :jumpjoy:

Beeb 05-24-2012 07:37 PM

I ate 700 calories from the start every DD, never more, sometimes a bit less but never less than 600 and I lost at a record speed.

I think it's depends on how your body reacts to calorie restriction of ANY kind.

I also think if you don't have to go lower to lose why would you? If you can eat 500 calories and lose or eat 150 calories and lose it just makes sense to eat more, I think. And it's not been proven anywhere that eating less will result in a quicker lose. Actually some have found it slowed down their weight loss when they didn't eat up to their DD and UD calories.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...gotta-eat.html

oropendola 05-24-2012 09:36 PM

I started at 500 and lost very little at first. I upped my calories to 500-600 and lost more, strange, I know. I stayed there a while and wondered the same thing as you...will I lose more if I eat less on my down days. I went down to 368 calories (where the JUDDD calculator says I should be) for a week and every UD during that week I had uncontrolable binges. I didn't always go over my calories for the day, but I was sneaking food at odd times and generally felt out of control. I think my psyche thought "Oh NO! She's going to starve me again!" and my body was having none of it.

I upped my calories to 450-550 and lost the urge to binge and am losing weight. I think it's so true the saying...your mileage may vary. It's about trying different things and seeing what works for you. There's no wrong way to find out what works for you, even if you gain a tad. It's all an experiment to see what your body works well with. When you find that, you'll move right along.

Put on your white lab coat and make like a scientist. :)

Muffabuff 05-24-2012 10:27 PM

Sterlingirl I believe that as we lose weight our fat cells shrink, but with the exception of liposuction, the fat cells we have in our bodies cannot be elimated. They are with us forever. They are either filled with lots of fat or not.

RebeccaSimpson 05-25-2012 12:24 AM

Cutie, one thing you might consider if you loose slow is first of course that you are close to goal and second that you have lost a lot of weight while on hcg. So your body might need a bit of a rest. COuld be that you are maintening that weight for a while, and than you will start losing. Just my 5 cents. ;)

Sterling, I think it's great that you started to work out, I need to get myself starting again... Could it be that you loose less atm because you are building up muscle? I mean they weight more then the fat does...

Joyjoy 05-25-2012 05:57 AM

Great post, Wonder Oro, and great discussion. I started at the weeniest DD recommended - it was about 315 cals, felt like I could only smell my food before going over that - and I ended up going bingey-nutty on UDs after a couple of weeks. Felt like I'd been whipped off one of those twirly rides in the park. I regrouped and raised my DDs by 100-150 cals and life is feeling a LOT rosier now. Slow losses but sane, happy days
I find it takes faith in yourself to 1.Stick to it for long enough to get it working, and then 2. Tweak the numbers without jumping ship altogether.
I'm SOOOO grateful for the steady, experienced voices on this forum.:jumpjoy:
Kristin:heart:

sterlinggirl 05-25-2012 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muffabuff (Post 15679252)
Sterlingirl I believe that as we lose weight our fat cells shrink, but with the exception of liposuction, the fat cells we have in our bodies cannot be elimated. They are with us forever. They are either filled with lots of fat or not.

:love: Thanks sweetie. was not sure what happens to them.. :)

sterlinggirl 05-25-2012 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RebeccaSimpson (Post 15679284)
Cutie, one thing you might consider if you loose slow is first of course that you are close to goal and second that you have lost a lot of weight while on hcg. So your body might need a bit of a rest. COuld be that you are maintening that weight for a while, and than you will start losing. Just my 5 cents. ;)

Sterling, I think it's great that you started to work out, I need to get myself starting again... Could it be that you loose less atm because you are building up muscle? I mean they weight more then the fat does...

I know in time that will be the case.. but i dont think only one week of work out has made me crawl.. Funny thing is.. i have upped my caloires on down days and yet i am not seeing really any change in the loss.. still is super slow.. but! i will take very small losses while i get my muscles to cathch up with what i did losing the fat.. :hyst:

Luna Loca 05-25-2012 10:33 AM

DDs are very individual. For some they lower the DDs and they lose better. I've done the fasting or almost fasting DDs and it didn't help my loss any and it made me grumpy. I've recently upped my DDs to 700, intending to maintain, and have lost more in the past month than I've lost since the first month of JUDDD. It takes some time to understand your own individual pattern.

cuttie99 05-25-2012 10:48 AM

thank you all for your responses!! Great discussion indeed! Interesting that the majority of the posts state that by eating more they lost more. I wondering why Dr. J recommends fasting as his preference in the book. I have not read the book. I have been eating 500 on dds. I wouldn't mind eating more!! lol. I plan to post a thread tomorrow on my progress.

Luna Loca 05-25-2012 10:53 AM

I think Dr. J refers to fasting being best because he's looking at studies that measure the health benefits of JUDDDing. Weight loss is almost secondary in his analysis. He's more concerned with the decrease of inflammation, the resistance to cancer and other diseases of aging studied in the mouse studies. Weight loss, while beneficial, is a (rather nice) side effect. He's not trying to maximize weight loss speed the way many of us are.

RenoMom 05-25-2012 10:59 AM

My plan if and when I slow down is to up my DD cals a bit. I know for me at the moment is my metabolism is shot. Right now the 500 is working for me, but when it stop the DD is the 1st one I will adjust.

I look forward to reading your progress.:hugs:

cuttie99 05-25-2012 01:26 PM

Thank you Luna for posting that! It makes sense now!

calichris 05-23-2013 09:03 AM

Posting mostly just to subscribe, but also want to add (one year after this post was created) that I was happy with my losses on JUDDD at 20% DDs for the first seven months. Then I tried to step it up a notch, and for the past three months have been losing at a snail's pace while trying extra hard ... eating mostly lower than 20% DD calories and increasing exercise (sometimes having a negative calorie balance on DDs).

I couldn't figure out what was going wrong, so I increased my DD calories to about the 35% number as a break (650-750). I've only been doing this for a week, but in that week I've lost better than I've lost in months (more in that week than in the entire month of April). Everyone's different, but if 20% or less isn't working, try another number. :)

desertgirl 05-23-2013 09:20 AM

I'm new to JUDDD, but I'm eating significantly less than 500 - partly because I'm so darn short and I weigh so little so my # is 280, but also because I actually find it easier to fast at a lower level than a mid-range level. I'm sure that's just me (and maybe a few others), but letting 200 or 300 more calories in will just make me want to eat more. Keeping my calories lower actually makes my DDs easier. :dunno:

Librarygirl 05-23-2013 09:22 AM

That's good to hear, Chris. :) I think I will not try so hard to do lower DDs. I have begun overeating on UDs in direct response to trying so hard to get lower DDs.

calichris 05-23-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertgirl (Post 16437127)
I'm new to JUDDD, but I'm eating significantly less than 500 - partly because I'm so darn short and I weigh so little so my # is 280, but also because I actually find it easier to fast at a lower level than a mid-range level. I'm sure that's just me (and maybe a few others), but letting 200 or 300 more calories in will just make me want to eat more. Keeping my calories lower actually makes my DDs easier. :dunno:

That makes complete sense for your weight and height! I weigh a hundred pounds more than you so my situation is different. :) My 20% number is about 400 calories, but I have been doing this a long time and can go lower, and did ... but I stopped losing well.