Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SummerAnne
Stats: 254/247.6/No Specific Goal
WOE: NK
Start Date: 8/1/13
McDonald's salads calorie count question?

Does anyone know if the numbers listed on their website for their salads include dressing? It's listed with the dressing name in the title, so you would THINK it would have to include it, but 230 for a salad with ranch seems way low.
SummerAnne is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
dont know but the do put sugar on their lettuce so I avoid them
soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #3

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
They do NOT include dressing. You have to add it.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #4

Gallery: SummerAnne
Stats: 254/247.6/No Specific Goal
WOE: NK
Start Date: 8/1/13
Thanks! I'm better off with a grilled chicken sandwich then. More protein that way too.
SummerAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:03 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: casmira
Why on earth would anyone ever put sugar on lettuce? What kind of a vile notion is that?
casmira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:47 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cuttie99
Stats: 5'2 171
WOE: post hcg, lost 60lbs
Start Date: Juddd 4/30, restarted 11/30
dressing not included.
cuttie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Terilynn
Stats: back to LC 1/6/14, going to stick to & make it
WOE: LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by soon View Post
dont know but the do put sugar on their lettuce so I avoid them
Where did you get this information?
After spending a long time googleing - I get two references to you saying it on LCF -- but I am not finding "facts" regarding this. I have also seen something stating that people stating that are giving out nonfactual information.

I am not arguing it isn't true - I want to know how you know it is true.

Thanks
Terilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
Living the low carb life man did a you tube on it that is where I learned it. Dont think Mc Donalds puts it out there. I ind your comment insulting like I post lies . Dont believe me I was trying to be helpul. I dont believe there are labs out there that are testing Mcdonalds. Lo carb man has a website La vida low carb or something and 100 you tubes. He doesnt have a reputation for spreading lies.

Last edited by soon; 05-23-2012 at 09:05 AM..
soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

I am sorry you took it that way - it was by no means meant that way - I just find it strange for someone to put sugar on lettuce and wanted to see it for myself. I figured you would point me in the right direction.... in no way did I mean you were spreading lies.

Sorry for the misinterpretation.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Its entirely possible they sugar there lettuce. Burger king before they switched thier fries used to have a brown sugar coating on them to make them taste different and hook people (hated those fries too!). I believe it maybe the more expensive salads that McD's might do that too. The side salads are 35 calories (without dressing) and from taste there is no sugar on that lettuce. I dont normally use dressing when I am on the road so I will just naw on a salad like I would french fries. I am pretty sure I would notice a sweet lettuce!

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Long term, realistic goal....no medications!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

I am still looking for the information and haven't been able to find it yet...
I am by no means a U TUBE or GOOGLE guru though so it still may be there and in my spare time I will keep looking .... I have found a couple places that said it wasn't true that McDonalds sugared their lettuce, but they were just people commenting on a comment.... so far no factual evidence to see either way.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tamilda
Stats: 270/215/145
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 8/09/11 Atkins @ 270
Could it be in the lettuce wash they use to help preserve the greens? Don,t know. I am a restaurant owner and do not use anything on our organic greens to wash or preserve,other than water. However, I would assume the volume of greens they use, needs to be washed and treated somehow to help keep it fresh. Flavor enhancers are a popular additive. Perhaps it isn,t enough of a calorie load to be counted as such either. Good question!
Tamilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #13

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamilda View Post
Could it be in the lettuce wash they use to help preserve the greens? Don,t know. I am a restaurant owner and do not use anything on our organic greens to wash or preserve,other than water. However, I would assume the volume of greens they use, needs to be washed and treated somehow to help keep it fresh. Flavor enhancers are a popular additive. Perhaps it isn,t enough of a calorie load to be counted as such either. Good question!
I have seen things on t.v. and read articles over the years that supports this, but haven't been able to find the sources. I know I saw something about them putting flavor additives, with sugar being a main component, on the lettuce wash. I'm sorry I can't remember where I saw this because I've seen it a couple of times.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
Salad dressing is not counted in the total for salads because is dependent on which dressing is ordered.

It doesn't appear that sugar is put on lettuce at McDonalds. Sugar is present in their crutons, some of the salad dressings, and a few of the ingredients in some salads such as “lime glaze”.

McDonald’s nutritional information is widely published. Simply Google “McDonalds Ingredients” to see a copy. They are not attempting to be deceptive, they are attempting to give customers a choice. They do make the calorie counts available at all of their stores and publish them on the internet. Honestly, what more can they do?

On DD, I often get a Premium Ceasar Salad without Chicken. It is 90 calories -- not with Ceasar dressing though, that would be another 190 calories. I choose the Balsamic Vinegar at 35 calories. Salad my way is 125 calories, if I had the “Ceasar” dressing it would be 280 calories.

Here is info directly from their Ingredients list page (I added the calorie counts from their Nutritional page). Even more detail is available on the Ingredients page, such as what makes up “lime glaze”, or what’s in the coating of “crispy” chicken, etc. It may be the most comprehensive list of ingredients published by any restaurant chain in America.

Here’s what in the “lettuce”...

Salad Mix: Iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, spring mix (may contain baby red romaine, baby green romaine, baby red leaf, baby green leaf, baby red swiss chard, baby red oak, baby green oak, parella, lolla rosa, tango, totsoi, arugula, mizuna, radicchio, frisee), carrots.

And what makes up their salads:

Premium Southwest Salad with Grilled Chicken (290 calories):
New Grilled Chicken Fillet, Salad Mix, Southwest Vegetable Blend, Shredded Cheddar/Jack Cheese, Cilantro Lime Glaze, Chili Lime Tortilla Strips, Lime

Premium Southwest Salad with Crispy Chicken (450 calories):
New Crispy Chicken Fillet, Salad Mix, Southwest Vegetable Blend, Cilantro Lime Glaze, Shredded Cheddar/Jack Cheese, Chili Lime Tortilla Strips, Lime

Premium Southwest Salad without chicken (140 calories):
Salad Mix, Southwest Vegetable Blend, Shredded Cheddar/Jack Cheese, Chili Lime Tortilla Strips, Lime

Premium Bacon Ranch Salad with Grilled Chicken (230 calories):
New Grilled Chicken Fillet, Salad Mix, Grape Tomatoes, Shredded Cheddar/Jack Cheese, Bacon Bits

Premium Bacon Ranch Salad with Crispy Chicken (390 calories):
New Crispy Chicken Fillet, Salad Mix, Grape Tomatoes, Shredded Cheddar/Jack Cheese, Bacon Bits

Premium Bacon Ranch Salad without chicken (140 calories):
Salad Mix, Grape Tomatoes, Shredded Cheddar/Jack Cheese, Bacon Bits

Premium Caesar Salad with Grilled Chicken (190 calories):
New Grilled Chicken Fillet, Salad Mix, Grape Tomatoes, Shredded Parmesan Cheese

Premium Caesar Salad with Crispy Chicken (350 calories):
New Crispy Chicken Fillet, Salad Mix, Grape Tomatoes, Shredded Parmesan Cheese

Premium Caesar Salad without chicken (90 calories):
Salad Mix, Grape Tomatoes, Shredded Parmesan Cheese

Butter Garlic Croutons (60 calories):
Enriched flour (wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), partially hydrogenated soybean oil, yeast, salt, sugar, high fructose corn syrup, contains 2% or less of the following: dough conditioners (wheat gluten, calcium sulfate, ascorbic acid, azodicarbonamide, calcium peroxide), whey, maltodextrin, garlic powder, annatto (color), butter oil, natural (dairy, botanical and vegetable source) and artificial flavors, parsley, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, natural (plant source) and artificial smoke flavors, beta carotene (color), alpha-tocopherol (antioxidant), soy lecithin, calcium propionate (preservative).

SALAD DRESSINGS:

Newman's Own® Creamy Southwest Dressing (100 calories):
Water, corn syrup solids, soybean oil, distilled vinegar, egg yolks, corn vinegar, corn starch, whey, salt, cilantro, sugar, spices, onion powder, garlic powder, apple cider vinegar, sour cream powder (cultured sour cream, skim milk solids, whey, sugar, citric acid, lactic acid), natural flavors (animal and vegetable source), xanthan gum, lactic acid, paprika, parsley.
CONTAINS: EGG AND MILK

Newman's Own® Creamy Caesar Dressing (190 calories):
Water, soybean oil, distilled vinegar, parmesan, romano and granular cheeses (pasteurized milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes), fructose, egg yolks, corn starch, salt, anchovy powder (dextrin, anchovy extract, salt), olive oil, spices, lactic acid, worcestershire sauce [distilled vinegar, molasses, corn syrup, water, salt, caramel color, garlic powder, sugar, spices, tamarind, natural flavor (fruit source)], xanthan gum, garlic powder, whey, onion powder.
CONTAINS: MILK, EGG AND FISH (ANCHOVY)

Newman's Own® Low Fat Balsamic Vinaigrette (35 calories):
Water, balsamic vinegar [wine vinegar, grape must, caramel color, sulfur dioxide to protect flavor (contains sulfites)], sugar, soybean oil, distilled vinegar, olive oil, sea salt, garlic juice, salt, spices, xanthan gum, onion, red bell pepper flakes, dried green onion, parsley, oleoresin paprika (color).

Newman's Own® Low Fat Family Recipe Italian Dressing (50 calories):
Water, corn syrup solids, distilled vinegar, Romano cheese (pasteurized milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes), soybean oil, sea salt, sugar, worcestershire sauce [distilled vinegar, molasses, corn syrup, water, salt, caramel color, garlic powder, sugar, spices, tamarind, natural flavor (fruit source)], anchovy paste (cured anchovies, salt, water), dried onion, dried garlic, spices, xanthan gum, barley malt extract (contains barley gluten), citric acid, paprika (color), hydrolyzed soy protein. CONTAINS: MILK, SOY AND FISH (ANCHOVY).

Newman's Own® Ranch Dressing (170 calories):
Water, soybean oil, corn syrup solids, buttermilk, distilled vinegar, egg yolks, salt, sugar, corn starch, chives, garlic powder, onion powder, natural flavors (dairy and animal source), lactic acid, parsley, xanthan gum, lemon juice concentrate. CONTAINS: MILK AND EGG

Newman's Own® Low Fat Sesame Ginger Dressing (90 calories):
Water, soy sauce (soybeans, wheat, salt), sugar, corn syrup solids, distilled vinegar, soybean oil, freeze dried orange juice concentrate, roasted sesame seed oil, corn starch, guajillo pepper, ginger, dehydrated onion, corn vinegar, dehydrated garlic, dehydrated bell pepper, brown sugar, garlic, salt, parsley, xanthan gum, apple cider vinegar, spices, citric acid, sea salt, caramel color, maltodextrin. CONTAINS: WHEAT AND SOY.

Last edited by NoWeigh; 05-24-2012 at 09:34 AM..
NoWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
Yeah, I can't find any sources that outright say "McDonalds puts sugar on their lettuce."

I mean, lettuce and all veggies have some natural sugars, and their is certainly sugar in their dressings, and those glazes they put on their grilled chicken. But as for the lettuce itself, no, I don't think that sugar is present.
Kiley2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Ok - so maybe it was the way I asked?
Old 05-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terilynn View Post
Ok - so maybe it was the way I asked?
lol, sometimes ya can't win
They aren,t going to list a produce wash in their ingredients list as it is not a end product result. Enough said. I am not saying they do and I am not saying they don,t, just saying....
Old 05-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terilynn View Post
I am sorry you took it that way - it was by no means meant that way - I just find it strange for someone to put sugar on lettuce and wanted to see it for myself. I figured you would point me in the right direction.... in no way did I mean you were spreading lies.

Sorry for the misinterpretation.
Sorry a little late on a reply here but my grandmother used to put sugar on her lettuce salads all of the time instead of dressing. I think alot of people did back in the day. They put sugar on and in everything
Old 05-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/113.5/110-114
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamilda View Post
Sorry a little late on a reply here but my grandmother used to put sugar on her lettuce salads all of the time instead of dressing. I think alot of people did back in the day. They put sugar on and in everything
WOW - never heard of sugar on lettuce, but just may try it - just one teaspoon of sugar would be less then most dressings
leonak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

I have done salt and garlic salt - toss - then dressing, but never heard of sugar