Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
DD's vs UP's

Hello. I have seen topics where people say they love their DD's. But does anyone just plain not like them? Are you out there?

I can live with them. And I will. I love the JUDD. But I still miss eating more on my DD's. As the day goes on I just tell myself, it's only one day. Tomorrow it is an UD. And that really works for me but I still feel a little deprived.

Still I love how this is working for me and wouldn't do it any other way.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/118/110-114
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
I am very much like you!

But this WOE does work!
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
I "get through" the DDs (341), and DON'T enjoy them, DON'T feel energized or calm or any of the wonderful things others feel.

However, I am much more disciplined about them and indeed stick to them even though I am headachey, light headed, and don't sleep.

It's the UDs that are difficult, even though I journal obsessively. I just tend to get going and eat and eat....and don't even ask me about when I drink "adult beverages"...

When I stick to the program, I lose. When I don't, I don't...

I like not having any restrictions, other than my own stupidity...

"If you're afraid of butter, add a little cream" Julia Child
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 175.8/163.4/140...47 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: January 1, 2014
I'm getting used to them, but I still have a tough one every now and again and sometimes on a DD morning I feel a bit of dread before I get out of bed.

I have made up a schedule for my DDs that seems to make it so much easier, I wait till at least 1:30 to eat anything, I then eat 200 calories, then another 200 at 4:00, then another 200 at 7:00. I do 600 DDs, 500 DDs were killer.

Last edited by Becky; 05-19-2012 at 04:13 PM..
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I like the empty feeling mostly. It's good
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I find them easy and actually prefer them to UD's. I had a good one today and worked hard all day loading and unloading and selling at a craft show all day. Lots of energy. drank lots of water. Thank goodness my booth was near the bathroom. Now tomorrow I will have problems about what to eat and then want everything I see.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

I wish I liked the empty feeling. Although honestly it's not so much that I am starving, as to wishing I could eat something. So it's a mental thing really. But I make do and then the next day is an UD.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Addinenal, I believe you mentioned you have goats, I think. What do you sell at the craft fairs. Sorry off topic!

Last edited by Muffabuff; 05-19-2012 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: I really messed up ur name sorry I tried
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffabuff View Post
Addinenal, I believe you mentioned you have goats, I think. What do you sell at the craft fairs. Sorry off topic!
Yes, my hobby is raising and showing dairy goats. I have LaManchas, Saanens and Alpines. So they can eat all they want, I make goat milk soap and lotion and sell it at craft shows and festivals. I do all of the work and the goats just stand around and wait for their feed trough to fill up. BUT I love my goats. And they love to eat so we get along well.
I have been peddling goat milk products for the past 5 years. Keeps me busy along with a fulltime job.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
I don't like DDs either. Occassionally I have "good" one but most of the time I don't like them. I dislike feeling hungry. I dislike the low energy feeling. But I disliked every day on LC diet so now I only dislike 3x/week...with 3 great days and one okay day
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:07 AM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

I know this sounds backwards but the less I eat on DD's the more energy I have. And I do better with having 1/2 cup cooked groats with added oat fiber and gluc for breakfast. Keeps me going most of the day with a energy to spare. Took me awhile to find that perfect (for me) breakfast for DD's. No hunger either. But everyone is different about feeling hungry.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
I'm not a huge fan of DDs either but I have to admit they are simpler. The foods I eat on DDs are pretty much the same all the time so not a lot of thinking involved. But, no, don't particularly care for them.
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:46 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/180's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Atkins->JUDDD->Leptin reset & Diet Cure
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
I have a really hard time with DD's, especially this past week since I've been trying to give up my excessive caffeine habit (caffeine withdrawl + DD = very unpleasant). I finally decided to stop making myself so miserable and to allow anything in the 500-1000 range on a DD, although I'm also uneasy with that because in a sense it's more straightforward to stay with a 500 limit.
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:05 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the feedback.

I was really wondering what everyone else felt about DD's since I don't particularly like them. You read people saying they love them and I was thinking, am I the only one who doesn't like them. Glad to see that I'm not.

I do like that it is only every other day and I can live with it.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:29 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
I certainly don't love them. I was doing fine with them in the beginning. I felt energized, felt little hunger and didn't mind them. But as time went on into the third month, they became harder. I had some pretty hard DD's, feeling very hungry and low energy. I do them and get through them because I believe they are healing me. But I never wake up and say..."oh boy it is a down day! Yippeeeeee!"

Last edited by sungoddess; 05-20-2012 at 08:06 AM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:36 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Exactly.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #17
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrymyra View Post
Hello. I have seen topics where people say they love their DD's. But does anyone just plain not like them? Are you out there?

I can live with them. And I will. I love the JUDD. But I still miss eating more on my DD's. As the day goes on I just tell myself, it's only one day. Tomorrow it is an UD. And that really works for me but I still feel a little deprived.

Still I love how this is working for me and wouldn't do it any other way.
LOL Well, the reason they are hard is because we are doing a *double-strength* diet on DDs, in exchange for not have to lower calories to weight loss diet level at all on UDs. Which, of course, you already know.

But just consciously staying aware of why those DD calories have to be as low as they are helps us stay the course. It's one day of very low calories... but it's accomplishes TWO days of dieting for weight loss!!!!!

If I HAVE to be on a weight loss diet every single day, I'll throw in the towel. I absolutely hate having to have reins and rules controlling my meals every single day! So I'm willing to do the dieting part doubly hard every other day, in exchange for the freedom from weight loss calorie levels on UDs. Really fair exchange for me. One I can be successful on and, more importantly, live with forever. 'Cause I know if I don't live within the parameters of some diet/plan forever, I will bloat back up to my previous size, and that's not the body I want to have to occupy.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

You said it pretty well SoHappy.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 175.8/163.4/140...47 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: January 1, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
Yes, my hobby is raising and showing dairy goats. I have LaManchas, Saanens and Alpines. So they can eat all they want, I make goat milk soap and lotion and sell it at craft shows and festivals. I do all of the work and the goats just stand around and wait for their feed trough to fill up. BUT I love my goats. And they love to eat so we get along well.
I have been peddling goat milk products for the past 5 years. Keeps me busy along with a fulltime job.
We had goats (nubians) throughout my childhood, we had goats milk constantly and occasionally goat meat which I loved!!
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
We had goats (nubians) throughout my childhood, we had goats milk constantly and occasionally goat meat which I loved!!
Oh good. Another person with a goat interest. Raised my only child on goat milk and like to make kefir which I could not drink on LC but now I CAN. Love JUDDD for many reasons and being able to have healthy higher carb foods is GREAT.

I am one of those that likes DD's and I think the part I really like is not having to think or plan. I pretty much do the same thing every DD. In my mind I know that is the way it is going to be so DD's are non negotiable. Now UD's are another story.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/148/139 JUDDD 01/08/12
Old 05-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I pretty much do the same thing every DD
I do too actually. I like not having to think about it. Just do it. I know how many calories I am getting this was so makes it easy.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #22

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
I am not a fan of DDs. Even on 700 calories, I don't look forward to them. They are something I need to do, but don't want to do, if that makes any sense. I don't do them because I want to, I do them because of the results I get.

I definitely prefer up days, though. Hey, I wasn't 300 pounds for no reason! I like to eat!
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #23

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I really do like a DD as a rule. On occasion they aren't pleasant. I am lucky I know.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:14 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: casmira
I find them pretty variable. Most are fine, some are tough. Generally, my energy is the same up or down, and I might be slightly more easily irritated, but I can contain it - it's not that bad.

I quite like them.

What I like most about them is that my trousers are looser despite the fact that most of the time, I have a grand old time of it. The beauty of the DDs is that I never now worry or feel like I'm on an uncontrollable rollercoster towards a future of kaftans and elasticated waists if I enjoy a meal out or have a glass of wine and some crisps without obsessive planning and counting.
casmira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:33 AM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Terilynn
Stats: back to LC 1/6/14, going to stick to & make it
WOE: LC
I won't say I HATE down days, but I sure don't love them.
I prefer the up days.... I actually prefer the up up and away days....which is why I am here. My husband doesn't like the down days either.

We just.... get through them the best we can. I would really like to be able to do a fast on down days, but so far that's not in the cards.
Terilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:36 AM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
Down Days aren't my favorit, there are times that I am so hungry I shake and get irritable. On days like that, I eat a little more. If I can't function, that doesn't work! That being said, I enjoy up days, but do find getting in the calories is sometimes a chore. I find, after doing JUDDD for almost 5 week, food isn't constantly on my mind either day. Really odd for me!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Stats: HW 1/2011: 191 CW: 165 GW: 145, then we'll see
WOE: lost 23 lbs on Medi Weightloss '11, now JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD start: May 15, 2012
I am only 1 week in and today is my 4th DD, so keep that in mind.

I struggle from the time I wake up (530-6am) until around 1-2 in the afternoon on DD's. It is a consorted effort to not eat crap or drink sugary cream filled coffees. I am still toying with approaches to find what works best to get through my mornings...I've done high protein, fasting, bars, shakes....Today I just had an entire container of Gerber Graduates Puffs for breakfast. (150 calories). I;m happy right now but we'll see how that treats me in the next couple of hours. I have soup and a protein shake on standby.

Once I get to 2pm, whatever it is that makes me crave like crazy seems to turn off, and I am fine until the next day.

I am finding my UD's relatively difficult as well as I am trying to find balance to give myself permission to eat well without binging on crap on top of it. Junk food is my addiction. UGH. I try to keep it out of the house but I have 2 kids under 2 and 2 teenaged step kids. When the teenagers are around my husband loads to house with cookies, chips, ice cream, etc. Its so hard not snacking, and the "just one bite" thing doesnt work well for me either. Then the neightbor bringing over homemade cookies....well. I'll forgive him because those were good lol.

Anyway, this WOE is working better overall for me than low carb was because I like being able to have some freedoms to eat what I want without it screwing up ketosis for 3 days later.
practicemakeperfct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
As I sit her with my stomach rumbling for the last half hour, I can't say I LIKE DD's, but I'm getting through them OK, and much better than in the beginning of my JUDDD adventure that began 6 weeks ago. Coffee at breakie and lunch usually curbs hunger until I get to my 500 calorie dinner, so I'm surprised at the stomach growling today. Must be because I dropped to my calculator number of 335 two DD's ago. First time I've really experienced stomach growling on a down day, so that MUST be what's causing this. I ate all my UD calories yesterday, so it sure should have prepared me for today. Hope I can make it to dinner before I cave today. That approach WAS working OK before the further calorie restriction I implemented this week.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
I can say that 99% of the time I like them because I know that's when the "magic" is at work. I do have an occasional day when my desk plant looks particularly appetizing, however. As exhilerating as it is to welcome an UD, it can be work to get in enough calories in!!

I dredged up a thread I started awhile back on the positive aspects of a DD. It helps to ruminate on those things whilst the pinkie finger looks tempting.

Down Day Positives
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Spank'd
Stats: 223/217/145
Start Date: Restarted 1/11/14
I'm another one who simply tolerates them.

I do however, take a certain amount of satisfaction when I don't get hungry until later in the day. If I get hungry early, I think "Darnit! I'm hungry already! Now what do I have to do to make the hunger leave me alone until I can eat?"
Spank'd is offline   Reply With Quote