Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 05:44 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: carla70
Stats: 215/215/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 03/10/2013
I CAN DO THIS!!!

Ok, I started out March on JUDDD and did great (well for me) and then April was doing ok, but then I got totally swept away and haven't been doing JUDDD for a few weeks and boy can I tell the difference. I felt SO much better doing JUDDD and also was actually losing weight rather than just staying the same.

Reasons I strayed: 1. laziness to plan and to track 2. work is SUPER busy with new position at work and LOTS to learn (learn medical insurance billing) as I am going to be the Office Manager at the nursing home I work at. 3. brain got stupid and said I could lose without tracking.

I am being accountable to me by posting on here that I am "officially" back on the JUDDD wagon and going to make this work. Because I can do it, I have started well and then failed. I can start again and keep on track this time. I know it is what works for me and will work for me.

Little more inspiration to make this work is my son (15), he has been vegetarian for about a year now (a very angry one at times also) and the other day told me he now wants to also be vegan. I asked him why, he said to be healthy. Right now if there is some place we go that doesn't have a vegetarian dish on menu he either just drinks water or goes sits in car. I point out things he could order but he gets mad and says society is against him. Anyway, so I told him I commend him for his determination but going vegan he really limits his choices and such and asked why he would do that. Again he answered to be healthy. I again asked why he chose this.. he replied "so I am not your age mom and overweight and trying diets all the time I want to never be like that" it hurt to hear that. Knowing I am the one that now he will go days without eating if we go travel because he won't find anything to eat or he says he is sick of salad. I tell him he can order sides like a baked potato and veggies, but he says resturants won't let him do that (very stubborn child). So now we have him to see dietician to have her help him do this healthy, as I don't think not eating is healthy either.

So long story there, sorry, but it gave me determination to do this and get to goal to show him I can eat healthy and get to goal. This too he won't know I am on a "diet" because there is no special foods or such.

I CAN DO THIS!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
Welcome back, Carla!

You have not failed, you have merely experienced a detour. I am on vacation and the last two days were definitely 'detours' but I swear by the quote:

"We only fail when we give up". Today, neither of us is failing or detouring!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:56 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Oh Thank you Nancy, I needed to hear that!
carla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:01 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
That's rough with your son. I sure hope he finds his niche and maintains his health in the process.

As for you, all you can do is get right back on that horse and keep plugging along. As long as you are committed, it will work for you.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:03 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: RenoMom
Stats: 300/294/199
WOE: JUDDD started 300
Start Date: 4/29/13
back, I've only been here a shorrt time, but love it already.
RenoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
Oh Carla, combining 15 year old angst with taking on a very responsible job is stressful. JUDDD, living one day at a time, will help you (in my own stressful situations, it sure helped me). You CAN do this. You really can.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Maerow
Stats: 185/137/130
WOE: Low carb - various plans
Start Date: July 2005 (low carb)
I remember when I was that age I fought like cats and dogs with my mom. Looking back I can see now it wasn't my mom that was being unreasonable. Things will get better once he gets over the teenage hormonal bump and things level out for him.

My mom and I are now best buds. I am glad she stayed sane and supportive even though we rammed heads so much.
Maerow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
there are some great vegan cookbooks out there to help you with him. eating out will probably be a no if he wants to try to maintain any kind of health, you will probably have to plan picnic travel meals instead. he will have to learn to get enough macro and micro nutrients which seems like a full time job to me with veganism. glad he will see a nutritionist. look into the Sun Warrior vegan protein powders, a shake or baked goods with protein in will probably help. men need that protein!
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Stats: 227/175/? 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: started JUDDD 3/22/2012
Carla, you can and will be successful. Nancy is right: JUDDD will help you with the stress of dealing with 15 year old angst (oh, how I remember those days!) and learning your new job.

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress!
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #10
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
As the fellow mother of 15 year old, the more you disapprove of his WOE (or anything really) the more he will dig in. If he is refusing to order a baked potato because "they" won't let him, it has gone beyond food into a power struggle.

Do what you do and stop talking about "diets." If anything talk about health, but mostly just lead by example. Keep nuts and veggies (or whatever reasonably healthy non-meat foods you would usually have) in the house but don't go out of your way or budget to get special vegan stuff, because it is not about food. Serious eating disorders aside, it is a rare 15 year old boy that will actually starve himself.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #11
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_lou_who View Post
there are some great vegan cookbooks out there to help you with him. eating out will probably be a no if he wants to try to maintain any kind of health, you will probably have to plan picnic travel meals instead. he will have to learn to get enough macro and micro nutrients which seems like a full time job to me with veganism. glad he will see a nutritionist. look into the Sun Warrior vegan protein powders, a shake or baked goods with protein in will probably help. men need that protein!
I hope I didn't sound like I was contradicting your advice.

If he truly believes in veg or vegan WOE and isn't just being a contrary teen, this is good advice.... But put it on him to do the research on his nutritional needs and how he is going to meet them (without much disruption to the rest of the family). If he is old enough to declare he is going vegan, he is old enough to do the work to make it successful.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
So good to see you back on the JUDDD bandwagon Carla. I am sure being back will help with you focus at work and at home.

It appears your son is very determined to follow this path at present. There are a number of Vegans here on JUDDD, they my advise you on things you can use to helping with eating out. As for ordering baked potatoes and vegetables I think you just have to start doing it for him when you are with him and hope he has the will to then do it himself.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Of course you can do it. Why don't you gift you very " teenage" son with a vegetarian cookbook and just tell him you thought he might like this. Don't follow that with any advice, trust me, I have twins and did the teenage years in double. If he's really serious you should see him experimenting in your kitchen soon enough.if he's like most teen boys animal or vegetable sooner or later he will be eating everything that's not nailed down lol. We almost went broke feeding our son lol. Good luck!
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetTN
Stats: too much/getting there/just right!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Jan 2012
As the mother of 3 boys (17, 15 and 10) all I can say is good luck and I feel your pain . Maybe, just maybe, the dig about your weight loss efforts were just a way to hurt your feelings. My teenagers have been guilty of this and I have done this with my mom as well.

I think the suggestion of making him more responsible for the foods he eats was good. If he truly wants to be vegan he will study this WOE and be more proactive in properly executing it.
JanetTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:33 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you all for the wonderful advice and comments. They truly are helpful. I am doing the big grocery shopping thing today and so yesterday when I was gone I told him he needed to plan his week of menus and write down a grocery list. He bulked but I said I am too busy and also I don't know what he wants to eat. So he did it. He printed off the recipes so I could just write them on the grocery list.

Getting my DD foods and myself going on my successful journey on JUDDD.

Yesterday I even bought a pair of cropped pants that fit but were too snug to be able to wear, they were $12.00 so I bought them anyway. I will wear them before summer done.. they are white. I haven't bought anything other than t-shirts or underthings white in about 15 years.

I also yesterday was not to smart and wore a pair of shoes I got, which I should of bought a 1/2 size bigger, but assumed they would stretch out, but no, so today I have huge blisters on back of both ankles and on both little toes. I should of known better, they were not shopping shoes and probably won't ever get comfrotable. I know my feet will heal but just wondering how they will do when I work out tomorrow morning on treadmill doing C25k. Which I didn't do all last week... jeez what happended to me.

Anyway, thank you all for the wonderful support.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: northandcold23
Stats: 134/117/112
You can do it Carla!

This was talked about on the Rachel Ray show the day
Vegan Cooking for Carnivores: Over 125 Recipes So Tasty You Won't Miss the Meat
northandcold23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by northandcold23 View Post
You can do it Carla!

This was talked about on the Rachel Ray show the day
Vegan Cooking for Carnivores: Over 125 Recipes So Tasty You Won't Miss the Meat
Cindy - Thanks, I will check that out. Did grocery shopping today... WOW spendy
Old 05-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Good for you for getting back on track.

As for the shoes, you never know, several of us have noticed our feet shrinking as we lost weight. I've lost at least 1/2 size, even a full size in some shoes.

15 yo boys are just a breed apart. Fortunately, they come through it (and we do too) and things look so much better on the other side.

The nutritionist is a GREAT idea. And good for you for making him take responsibility for his menus. If it is about health and not against his conscience for eating meat, you could have him research other healthy eating plans (thinking paleo/primal--Mark's Daily Apple has good info) and compare to see which he feels is the most sustainable long term, with the best health benefits. Protein is def key for a growing teenage boy, so knowing how to make complete proteins from plants is the most important info he's going to need to know.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Lower Carb/JUDDD
awww Carla!!! 15 year olds dont think when they speak!! Trust me!!! My 15 year old is the same way!!

You can do this!! We have lots and lots of faith in you!!!! Love and hugs!!!!

Ellens personal chef came out with a vegan cookbook that is suppose to have foods that taste like foods we are used to like burgers and that. Maybe look at that!!! I thought about it for lower calorie ideas for DD's. While the family have burgers I can have one too that is lower in calories and I can enjoy the same dinner with them!!!

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Last edited by krow134; 05-20-2012 at 04:41 PM..
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote