Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   UM-M-M-M GOOD! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/772020-um-m-m-m-good.html)

arkie1 05-18-2012 03:32 PM

UM-M-M-M GOOD!

Today is a DD for me, and it's 5:00PM. Been busy (shopping) today, so just now getting around to eating. I fixed 1/2 head of lettuce, with 2 bell pepper rings, 2 cherry tomatoes, 1/2 sm. cucumber, and a jalepano pepper cut up together, then poured a small Wendy's Chili over the top of it. Best salad I have had in a long, long time! I know it's not a new idea, but boy, did it hit the spot...and I figured no more than 250 cals for all of it. I figure with my coffee that I've had all day, I've not consumed but about 320 cals today. And, I'm satisfied...not looking for anything else. Love DD's that satisfy! :yummy:

Carole

Sheridan 05-18-2012 03:45 PM

That sounds really good, Carole! Really good. :yummy:

Kissa 05-18-2012 03:47 PM

Love me a big salad. The chilli on top is something we'd not think of in the UK. Hot or cold?

Jbinme 05-18-2012 03:49 PM

:yummy:

KeirasMom 05-18-2012 03:50 PM

I've done this as well. I would pour it on hot Cindy. It's sort of like a taco salad without the guilt. :yummy:

arkie1 05-18-2012 03:51 PM

SHERIDAN, it IS really good! You will have to try it...

KISSA, mine was hot, and mixed with the cold of the salad, was very good!
You'll have to try it.

DAWN, we were posting at the same time. Don't you LOVE it?

Carole

msack3889 05-18-2012 05:19 PM

I really need to stay away from these threads when I'm hungry :hyst:

On the flip side, you just inspired me to have a small salad for the rest of my food today (DD) vs. the popcorn I've been craving all day. After all, I can have that tomorrow! :D

Becky 05-18-2012 05:35 PM

Good Lord that sounds good!!!! I may "borrow" your idea tomorrow! I love being busy on DD, I made it to 3:30 yesterday with no issues, I need to stay busy tomorrow...

2BoysMom 05-18-2012 06:07 PM

That never occurred to me - what a great idea for a "taco" salad!!

ellgee 05-18-2012 06:10 PM

Yum, yum, yum!!!!!! Gosh that sounded good. I used to do this a long time ago but haven't done it recently.

I also liked to take a couple of Taco Bell tacos and crush them up over a big salad. Same kind of idea but higher calories for the tacos.

vilanteira 05-18-2012 06:32 PM

Oh wow, I just realized I haven't had a taco salad in forever! I could work that into a DD as easily as an UD. I eat ground beef just about all the time, mostly in casseroles and curries or stir-fries, but haven't put it on salad since I first discovered low carb years ago. Yummy! Going off to plan and decide on ingredients. Thanks for the idea, Carole! :up:

kimberino 05-18-2012 06:59 PM

Do you drain the chili a little bit or just pour it all on? Sounds yummy.

Muffabuff 05-18-2012 10:14 PM

That sounds soooo good. It's a down day for me as well, but I'm out of calories. Thanks for posting that. My DH and I will def be trying that very soon. Yum.

oropendola 05-18-2012 10:46 PM

Sounds yummy! Thanks for posting it.

Joyjoy 05-19-2012 04:47 AM

I make a beautiful, easy Cuban (with cinnamon, allspice, rw vinegar) chili. I'm going to try that on salad. Great idea. Thanks,
Kristin:heart:

mainemom 05-19-2012 12:06 PM

Hmmm...DD for me today, and this sounds sooooo good. But my family will think I'm crazy if I drive 30 mins to the nearest Wendy's to get a small chili -- without buying them all burgers and fries, of course! And don't know if I'll survive the drive home again w/the maddening smell of fries and burgers filling my car. I might be like that commercial where I get home and there are no fries left and I'll have to drive back for replenishments! Guess I'll stick w/the delicious grilled salmon my husband is preparing tonight - but, boy, am I hungry now!

Kissa 05-19-2012 12:44 PM

Oooo grilled salmon is one of my total ever faves. Enjoy!

PixieKGirl 05-19-2012 02:27 PM

I am so trying this tomorrow on my DD!! Thanks for the great idea.

Truffles 05-19-2012 02:31 PM

That sounds delicious! I'll have to try that!

arkie1 05-19-2012 08:04 PM

So glad I could offer a little something new for a DD (or UD) treat! On an UD, you might even be able to add a few chips to the mix, and make it a true taco salad. Tomorrow is a DD for me, so I might even have this again! :yummy:

Carole

laceylady 05-21-2012 06:58 AM

Thanks for the idea -- I don't do Wendy's, but I tried it with packaged chili that I had on hand, and I'll say it IS a great idea, and at the bottom of the 'salad' it became more flavorful due to all of the juice. But using the packaged chili, it lacked flavor and thickness that I'm sure Wendy's provided!! My suggestion -- if you're going to make this, do it the RIGHT way (Wendy's) -- because the idea is wonderful!! It does remind me of a taco salad! DH had his right along with me, but he added crackers and other stuff -- said it needed 'more' of something. I didn't want 'more' of anything!! So thanks, Carole, for a great idea -- I just need to tweek mine, or actually venture into Wendy's for some of their chili!