Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Newspaper item concerning IF'ing. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/772017-newspaper-item-concerning-ifing.html)

gharkness 05-18-2012 03:46 PM

Newspaper item concerning IF'ing.

Well, heck. I was going to put a link and then remembered I can't. Jeniffer Eloff's blog has a link to a story in the Bangdor Daily News, about "Nighttime Fast May Beat Counting Calories to Drop Pounds." Here's a small excerpt:
Quote:

The difference was astonishing. Even though they ate a high-fat diet, the mice who wrapped up their eating day early and were forced to fast for 16 hours were lean _ almost as lean as mice in a control group who ate regular chow. But the mice who noshed on high-fat chow around the clock became obese, even though they consumed the same amount of fat and calories as their counterparts on the time-restricted diet.

Extra weight wasn’t their only problem. The obese mice developed high cholesterol, high blood sugar, fatty liver disease and metabolic problems. The mice who ate fatty food but were forced to fast showed hardly any signs of inflammation or liver disease, and their cholesterol and blood sugar levels were virtually indistinguishable from those of mice who ate regular chow. When put on an exercise wheel, they showed the most endurance and the best motor control of all the animals in the study.

You might want to drop by Jennifer's blog, Splendid Low Carbing and take a look. Interesting stuff!

Muffabuff 05-18-2012 11:30 PM

Thanks for taking the time to post that!

oropendola 05-18-2012 11:40 PM

Thank you for posting the excerpt. I've bookmarked the article.

piratejenny 05-19-2012 11:00 AM

My liver enzymes, which have been elevated for a few years, dropped significantly after following Dr Kruse's suggestions of
--waiting at least 5 hours between meals
--no snacking!

AST: 41.....21
ALT: 70.....32

It's a little harder not to snack on DDs, but since the calories and fat are low, I imagine that's not too hard on the liver. On UDs I usually only eat twice, in a 6-7 hour window.

mainemom 05-19-2012 12:15 PM

I just read this article. Talks about 16-hour fasting periods. Study was done on mice showing not only weight loss and maintenance, but numerous other health benefits. Of course the naysayers were saying that mice are different from people (well, duh!) so "caution" is advised for humans. And some experts pointed out that this would be difficult for us poor humans inundated with late night fast food commercials, busy lifestyles, etc. Come on, people. No matter what method we choose to lose weight and/or improve health, doesn't it require SOME accountability/restraint on our parts? Everyone is still waiting for that magic pill...

Muffabuff 05-19-2012 08:20 PM

:goodpost:Mainemom

hockey_gal 05-19-2012 11:30 PM

Hmmm...so every day could be an UD if it was wrapped up by 8pm??? (assuming I don't start eating until noon which is totally doable for me) That sounds almost like a magic pill to me, LOL.