Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   I live in the USA. Groats? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/771998-i-live-usa-groats.html)

Eieio 05-18-2012 11:41 AM

I live in the USA. Groats?

Ive read the word Groats?
:dunno:
I read that word way back.
Think Abilene spoke of it.
I thought it was a type o. Meaning oats. No biggy.
And now i no it isnt a type o.
Me scratching head.
Hummmmm
Ei

adillenal 05-18-2012 12:10 PM

Groats are whole oats. Netrition carries them.

KeirasMom 05-18-2012 12:32 PM

I've seen whole oats at Whole Foods, but have been hesitant to try them. I really need to pick some up!

Adi, I'm pretty sure you've posted recipes, but my addled brain is too tired to search. Is there just a very, very basic set of instructions you have that I can play with on my own?

Thanks so much!

Eieio 05-18-2012 12:54 PM

THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT!
OLD FASHION OAT MEAL.

adillenal 05-18-2012 01:36 PM

Sorry Eieio but groats are not oatmeal. They are whole. Not rolled, not ground, not pulverized. The husk is removed and the whole grain is left. That is why it takes so long to cook them. Maybe they are the original original whole grain.

Keira's mom,
The kind from Bob's has directions for cooking them but it is basically:
1 cup whole oat groats to 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, put a lid on the pan and let sit overnight. They will be done in the morning. Need to cook them the night before.
A normal serving is one cup and this will make 4 cups of cooked groats. Kind of crunchy but not really. I sprinkle cinnamon on mine. You could add a sweetener if desired. I have been eating 1/2 cup with a t of oat fiber and 1/2 t of gluc added so I can stay full longer. Good for DD's.

KeirasMom 05-18-2012 02:02 PM

Thanks. The version I've seen has been in the bulk section with no instructions, but I didn't think to look where the Bob's stuff is. I think I'm going to pick some up. So bring it just to a boil, cover, then turn off the heat and leave over night? Sounds like something I can't screw up! :hyst:

adillenal 05-18-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 15664573)
Thanks. The version I've seen has been in the bulk section with no instructions, but I didn't think to look where the Bob's stuff is. I think I'm going to pick some up. So bring it just to a boil, cover, then turn off the heat and leave over night? Sounds like something I can't screw up! :hyst:

Correct. I think they are impossible to screw up but you just never know.
In the morning I measure my portion, reheat in the microwave and put the rest in the frig for another morning. Bulk would sure be cheaper but not so good not having the nutrition info and directions on how to cook.

lynnjp 05-19-2012 07:40 AM

thanks for those cooking instructions adillenal-I am going to look for those the next time I am in Job Lot they have lots of Bob's products-sounds like a great DD breakfast!!