Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
Please, talk to me about bumps in the road

Bump in the Road or Roadblock?

It seemed to start last week. On Wednesday and Thursday I had two exceptionally stressful days, which were unrelated they just happened to occur back to back. They were so awful that it took a couple more days just to feel somewhat normal. That’s just life, stressful events happen. I did not deviate from my rotations or my numbers, however my weight loss stumbled. I bounced up nearly 2 pounds, however with a couple DD days I arrived back close to my low. I chalked that up to stress figuring that everything would be back to normal within a few days. Well, that was a week ago and I’m still drumming my fingers waiting to see some downward movement on the scale.

Is it okay to worry yet? I don’t want to jump the gun, but neither do I want to be complacent for too long.

Thank you for advice, oh wise ones.

Supplemental info:

This is probably going to sound weird to anyone who does not experience this, however I can “taste” it when my metabolism is at full throttle, and I have lost the weight-loss flavor.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Nope. Give it some more time. A week is a very short time in terms of weight loss. No weight loss plan can promise you that you will lose every single week. Your body takes time to regroup before losing more.

You've lost twenty pounds! That makes a huge difference in the way your body works, it's trying desperately to catch up.

Just keep up your rotations, respect your calorie numbers, it will start up again. Don't be so greedy for weight loss that you start tweaking at the first sign of the normal slow-down, and change the plan away from what's been working for you so well!

As far as the "flavor" goes: while I don't experience that myself, I can understand what you're talking about. However, just because you don't have it right now doesn't mean that your body is not doing exactly what it needs to do. Your flavor might be a result of released fat, and perhaps your body is not in release mode right now, it's in regroup mode. It's all a necessary part of weight loss! Trust the process. Hang in there.

"Success occurs in clusters and is born in generosity" --Julia Cameron

Describes my JUDDD Buddds perfectly.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so much for your thoughts.

I think what I need is a reasonable concept of expectations, so that I don't let time slip by and find later that I should have done something to shake things up. I agree, I am not there yet.

Many years ago on Atkins, I had a stall. Trying to get past it I kept pushing my food intake lower and lower. I even went to my doctor, who advised me: "eat less". Eventually my hair was falling out -- I lost nearly half of it. The stall lasted 11 months before I simply gave up and found all the weight I had lost and more pounds to boot.

Now, I love this woe. It feels right, it feels healthy. I just don't completely trust my body yet. I just want to have a some sort plan in place for any eventual stall that might need tweaking. I need to understand what a reasonable "rest" period for my body is, precisely so that I won't worry.
NoWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

And, Luna Loca, I still feel overwhelmed with emotion when I look at your stats and the progress you have made in your journey. Truly, it is moving and inspiring. So, your words do mean so much to me. Thank yo again.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Ditto,
Kristin
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #6

Thanks sweetie.

Are you charting your daily weights? That was so helpful to me in the beginning. I began to see a pattern in the way I lose. I lose like gangbusters around the first week of the month, then the line flattens out for about ten days, then a couple little dips, then flattens out again until the beginning of the month rolls around again. I don't have a uterus any more (yay!) but do still have ovaries so I have those hormonal swings without TOM so I can't tell outwardly what part of my cycle I'm in. But I've seen those patterns repeating, repeating, so I know what to expect.

That ten day period every month when I don't lose would be crazymaking if I didn't know it was a part of the pattern. KWIM?

The more information and records you keep of your daily weight, your calorie intake, exercise, measurements, the more informed you are of exactly what's going on with your body. I really recommend you start if you're not already doing it.

How long have you been JUDDDing?
Old 05-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #7

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I had lots of weeks of NO weight loss.. at least as far as the scale was showing.

But sure enough, I had actually lost body fat. It's just that the fat cells were being held onto for a bit.. filled with water as a temporary place holder instead of the fat that had been used up out of those cells. So the weight still registered about the same on the scale.

And then when my body figured out it wasn't going to need to use those fat cells for fat storage anytime again in the near future, it went ahead and jettisoned the water and closed the cells, and the shed water was then shown as weight loss on the scale.

A week without any weight loss being shown on the scale is almost a normal situation for us all as we progress. Truthfully, I wouldn't worry much until I'd gone at least two weeks without loss, and probably even three or four....

If you are measuring your food portions and tracking your calories, so that you know your numbers are correct, I'll bet you will experience loss again shortly.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: RenoMom
Stats: 300/294/199
WOE: JUDDD started 300
Start Date: 4/29/13
I haven't been here long enough to give you any kind of insight, I just wanted to offer you hugs, and tell you to hang in there.
RenoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Loca View Post
Are you charting your daily weights? That was so helpful to me in the beginning. I began to see a pattern in the way I lose.

The more information and records you keep of your daily weight, your calorie intake, exercise, measurements, the more informed you are of exactly what's going on with your body. I really recommend you start if you're not already doing it.

How long have you been JUDDDing?

I weigh every other day, after a DD. If I weigh everyday I start to get too compulsive -- start weighing multiple times a day and can’t leave the scale alone, so this seems to work out. The worst time is right after I weigh, when I know I don’t get to again for 48 hours.

Patterns? Well, I’ve been studying my calendar trying to determine what else changes. No TOM here, so phase of moon is my next best guess!

I do track calories carefully, weighing and measuring is my friend!
Measuring myself -- that would be too sad.
I will settle for this, for now: my clothes are definitely, positively, absolutely getting too big!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I had lots of weeks of NO weight loss.. at least as far as the scale was showing.

A week without any weight loss being shown on the scale is almost a normal situation for us all as we progress. Truthfully, I wouldn't worry much until I'd gone at least two weeks without loss, and probably even three or four....

If you are measuring your food portions and tracking your calories, so that you know your numbers are correct, I'll bet you will experience loss again shortly.
Thank you so much for your insight. I will cling to your words when my paranoia demons try to take over. I’m going to focus on relaxing, make a cup of tea.

My JUDDD magic has not abandoned me, it is simply less apparent, momentarily.

And RenoMom, Thank You. And YOU hang in there too! We CAN do this, and WE ARE!
Old 05-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #10

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
No weigh, I don't track my weight as others do, heck, I weigh once a week and typically I don't even look at the number, DH does. I have only been on JUDDD for 4 weeks and I finally saw the number. Then I looked at the chart (once a week weigh in only after a DD) and I seem to lose in a every 2 week cycle. I will do great 1 week then nothing or small gain the following week. I plan to check out my chart again in July to see if this pattern has continued!

20 pounds is awesome girl! WAY TO GO! Keep it up!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...rt-2-a-10.html
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #11

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I understand your frustration. It's hard when you've been losing so fast, and so well, and then it "appears" to come to a screeching halt. As Pat and Luna both mentioned, your body is still working on losing, it's just either regrouping, experiencing hormonal issues, or whatever. I had to put myself into maintenance to stop the craziness in my head when I slowed down. Several people pointed out that your body needs to rest and recover from the rapid loss, and that takes time. Now I'm much more relaxed, taking things easily, and it'll happen when it happens. KWIM?

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
May 2014: Still maintaining; taking a stab at HDE/IE
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
Don't fret!

I just posted about my 21 pound weight loss in 2 months. BUT the real truth of the matter is, the major losses occurred inthe first two weeks and the last two weeks. The whole month of April I think I lost 3.6 pounds.

Keep going and don't give up. I have been there and know you WILL come out on the other side. I really truly believe our bodies need to stop and take a breath when we have lost so quickly.

Hugs to you!
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
KWIM?
Thanks all....

I must ask, what is KWIM?
Old 05-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
"Know What I Mean"
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #15

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellgee View Post
"Know What I Mean"
Yup.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Omg!
Bumps!
Mountains!
And then the down hill slopes.
LIFE!
Hohummm, we all have it. Dang.
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eieio View Post
Omg!
Bumps!
Mountains!
And then the down hill slopes.
LIFE!
Hohummm, we all have it. Dang.
I guess the "Bumps" and "Mountains" wouldn't concern me, if I was even in the neighborhood of say...within 100 pounds of your highest weight. If I can't stay heading down to some degree, I'm afraid I won't live to see the time when I can feel the Bumps and Mountains are "Hohummm"
Old 05-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #18

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Keep on keeping on my lovely JUDDD BUDDD.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
It is a roller coaster for sure. Don't get panicked, and do your measurements. I wasn't seeing any progress on the scale and thought I might lose my mind (some of you may remember that) but I did my measurements and kept seeing significant loss. Pay attention to how you are feeling too. I started feeling better, sleeping better, my clothes got loose and had to go down sizes. My sciatica is improved. Much cheerier in my outlook.
Intermittent fasting is good for more than just "weight loss" no matter how we all fixate on that dang scale. HUGS!
Old 05-19-2012, 07:35 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
And, don't let lack of TOM fool you. The ocean, and vast variety, hormones in our bodies rise and fall with the phases of the moon, solar flares, stressful situations, and - apparently - on weird internal whims. Figuring our the direction and speed of internal wave we are currently surfing is part of the 'fun'

I am post-hyster (kept the ovaries) and post-menopause. I was stunned when I saw monthly patterns still happen.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:13 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Kissa, b lou, and Nancy, and all. I am doing okay -- just pushing forward and plan to keep on keeping on! B lou, I AM feeling better, not just once in awhile, but every day! That alone is well worth it, however I'm not just dealing with an annoying 20 pounds here, I've got to get more of this off, AND I WILL. (:

Hugs to you all.
Connie
Old 05-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWeigh View Post
I guess the "Bumps" and "Mountains" wouldn't concern me, if I was even in the neighborhood of say...within 100 pounds of your highest weight. If I can't stay heading down to some degree, I'm afraid I won't live to see the time when I can feel the Bumps and Mountains are "Hohummm"
Connie

In really relate to this. I was going full force on JUDDD with great losses my first couple of months. When it is going that way, it just feels like such a high. It is motivating and easy to stick to the plan because we see nice rewards on the scale. Then the weight loss s-l-o-w-s down and it feels discouraging. I know this is not a race for some people, but in some ways it is for others. When you have a LOT to lose, see the weight loss slow or grind to a halt is so discouraging because some of us are trying to quickly improve health conditions or ward them off. I am convinced that even when the numbers on the scale aren't moving down that internally we are healing. Sometimes those changes are not so apparent, but they are still happening.

It is great you are feeling better and determined to stick with it. I am too. The others have given great advice, as always. I just wanted to let you know you are not alone.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #23

Although I am lucky and have never had as much to lose as you, I am the mother of the truly wonderful, gorgeous and large MintQ8, (Vicky).

I am with her through each and every ounce gained and lost. I relay understand your pain and frustration. i know how hard she has worked for each and every pound, each and every time she has tried to lose weight.

I have shared her joy and disappointment through LC, time and time again. (I was even tempted to sabotage my own losses to make hers look better.) We are talking more than 20 years here.

JUDDD is the first time I have seen her 'enjoy' the path to weight loss. Yes, her losses have slowed down, but as she said recently, she is probably only dieting 1/3 of the time, rather than 1/2 the time.

So, extra big hugs, and remember, Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:41 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
large is accurate - but I prefer voluptuous!!!! LOL!!!

Weight loss is a pain - but being fat is more so!! Just keep on keeping on - it will be okay!!

Last edited by MintQ8; 05-20-2012 at 06:43 AM..
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #25

Yes, Vicky, I should have said voluptuous, and checked my spelling...
Old 05-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #26

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but large weight losses aren't going to come off fast. It's still going to take time, lots of it. It's taken me a year and a half to lose 75 pounds (the first 50 pounds I lost three years or so ago, and maintained that loss until I re-started in October of 2010).

My weight loss is slow. Five pounds a month was the best I could manage, with low carb or low calorie. That has sped up a bit on JUDDD, where I managed seven pounds average. Seven pounds doesn't seem like much when you have a lot of weight to lose. I KNOW.

But it starts to add up. The key to success when you have a large amount to lose, I believe, is consistency. Each and every day making the decisions that support your goal. Over and over and over.

I had to have DH hide the scale from me in the beginning. Because my weight loss was not fast enough--I thought that since I was so fat, I should be losing it faster, because I had a lot to lose. But that's not always how it works. Large bodies need breaks, too. It wasn't until I was about three months in, and had lost about 15 pounds, that I could keep the scale where I could see it and weigh myself every day (who am I kidding, make that twice a day at least). Once I had reached that point, I was able to celebrate how far I had come and feel powerful enough to know that I could continue and lose weight--maybe even get below 200 pounds. Maybe even reach my goal. I'm still on that journey.

No Weigh, I bless you and I believe in you. You can do this. It is possible. It's not easy, or fast, or always fun. But it is possible. I am here to hold this for you, that you can do this.

If you're getting discouraged (and we all do, at one point or another) google the health effects of this WOE. Google the health benefits of losing 10% of your body weight. Look up your BMI and see how far it's changed. Focus on how far you've come, not on how far you have to go. That's really helped me and I hope it'll help you.

a thousand times.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #27

We need a GREAT post smiley.