Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nickicaps
WOE: Raw Vegan
WHY are my UD still hedonistic and out of control?

I mean, it must be stress, right?

My DD are fine. I totally stay within my numbers and don't even feel hungry. MY UD however, are still crazy. I start out great but by evening can't stop eating until I have lost track of the calories completely.

I'm afraid to weight myself bc I know I haven't lost anything and I hear such great success stories on this board and think what is WRONG with me??

Sorry, just had to vent again...
nickicaps is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Well, Nicki, I am just the same. Perfect DDs, UDs.

With me, I know the reason-BOOZE!! It adds cals and takes away inhibition. I had a great UD yesterday, (no booze) and even had enough cals left to have some yogurt before bed, and, now, am not very hungry on my DD.

I think the answer is, as always, "if you bite it, write it", which I do obsessively even on the UUAA days, and boy is it a revelation.

Also, if you can, plan ahead-write down what you plan to eat, and you'll know what you can do.

If it's stress, do the best you can.
When I'm stressed I don't eat, so there's a silver lining...

"If you're afraid of butter, add a little cream" Julia Child
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I noticed a pattern, in the beginning, of needing to eat again after dinner on UD's. I had originally thought of gluc pudding or shirataki noodles in chicken broth as a DD survival kit. But once I told myself I can eat these things on UD's as well, that's what I started hitting if I got hungry after supper. And now I can keep to my UD calorie recommendations every time. But I never EVER have trouble eating up to them as some people describe. I eagerly await THAT nirvana.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Me too! When I hear of people totally "stuffing" themselves to meet their UD requirement I'm like, Oh how I wish I had your troubles!!

Nice to know I am not alone :-)
Old 05-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
I, too, am NEVER stuffed on UDs...sometimes I am satisfied, but I can always eat..
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lylydvd
i have the same problem...i can fell satisfied and even bloated on down days and sometimes i go under 300 calories...and the opposite happen in up days..maybe because at down days we go into ketosis and at up days when adding a lot of carbs we have insulin spikes which make us very hungry ..so i'm considering make my up days..high fat low carb day..i know this will solve the problem..however i don't prefer this solution ..carby foods are so yummy..
lylydvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I've mentioned this on umpteen other threads, but have you tried L-glutamine?

I had the same problems you describe--esp eating after dinner--and now I can eat dinner at 6 or 8pm and even if I don't fall asleep til 12 or 2am, I don't even think about eating! Except maybe a tiny piece of chocolate or sf pudding...

I take 15-20g per day & it did take a week before appetite suppression kicked in. But the scale has started going down again, after months of the 3-4lb bounce!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Hey jenny! I started taking the powder with my morning smoothie but I totally forget to take it after that. I haven't been consistent enough with this supplement bc I take so many already but your post has inspired me! I really need to simplify my eating/supplementing/life actually so I might cut some other things out and just stick to the basics :-)
Old 05-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
I think.. just imo... Before starting this plan.. my eating pattern was used to not eating.. very slow sluggish metoblism. I have ate the same for years.. very small portions compaired to my hubby and sons.. and i think that we have these set points in our bodys for how much food we can consume.. I am one who struggles to get my up day caloires in.. for two reasons..1 i am eaitng low calories foods.. and 2 no hungar.. i also try to eat all calories before 630 pm to not have a huge meal sitting in my tummy before bed.. So i have to wonder.. Befroe you started this woe.. what was your eating like before? Perhaps... you have always had a higher hungar.. and just feed according to when you were hungry you ate.. and never really gave it much thought as to how often or much you ate before comming to JUDDD.. Just a thought i had.. i may be totally off base.. but its was somthing i wanted to share...
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickicaps View Post
WHY are my UD still hedonistic and out of control?

I mean, it must be stress, right?

My DD are fine. I totally stay within my numbers and don't even feel hungry. MY UD however, are still crazy. I start out great but by evening can't stop eating until I have lost track of the calories completely.

I'm afraid to weight myself bc I know I haven't lost anything and I hear such great success stories on this board and think what is WRONG with me??

Sorry, just had to vent again...
My first question is one that just goes right down to the basics:

Do you do any planning for UDs? Actually PLAN what you are going to eat for your Up Day meals and about how much of whatever? Or do you sort of just let the day unfold...

Even if you don't plan your menus for a week, or for even a day, if you have a pretty-much-set-ahead-of-time calorie number which you will allow for each meal, and including an afternoon teatime snack and an evening indulgence for after supper, it's a pretty easy way to eat within your daily calorie zone and still have all the bases covered.

I don't know what your UD calorie number is, but use 1800 calories as an example:
* Breakfast = 300 calories
* Lunch = 400 calories
* Teatime Snack = 250 calories
* Supper = 600 calories
* Evening Snack = 250 calories

Or if you aren't much of a breakfast eater, but tend to experience more of your hunger later in your 'awake' time...
* Brunch/Lunch = 500 calories
* Supper = 700 calories
* Evening Snack = 350 calories

Lots of ways to configure the calories that make up an UD and still eat well at every meal, and still have evening snacks/treats covered too.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
I've mentioned this on umpteen other threads, but have you tried L-glutamine?

I had the same problems you describe--esp eating after dinner--and now I can eat dinner at 6 or 8pm and even if I don't fall asleep til 12 or 2am, I don't even think about eating! Except maybe a tiny piece of chocolate or sf pudding...

I take 15-20g per day & it did take a week before appetite suppression kicked in. But the scale has started going down again, after months of the 3-4lb bounce!
Actually I saw your post, Jenny, and have now ordered it to try to see if it also helps me with this "weak spot" of mine. Really appreciate that tip!

Last edited by buttoni; 05-18-2012 at 08:32 AM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
My first question is one that just goes right down to the basics:

Do you do any planning for UDs? Actually PLAN what you are going to eat for your Up Day meals and about how much of whatever? Or do you sort of just let the day unfold...

Even if you don't plan your menus for a week, or for even a day, if you have a pretty-much-set-ahead-of-time calorie number which you will allow for each meal, and including an afternoon teatime snack and an evening indulgence for after supper, it's a pretty easy way to eat within your daily calorie zone and still have all the bases covered.

I don't know what your UD calorie number is, but use 1800 calories as an example:
* Breakfast = 300 calories
* Lunch = 400 calories
* Supper = 600 calories
* Evening Snack = 250 calories

Or if you aren't much of a breakfast eater, but tend to experience more of your hunger later in your 'awake' time...
* Brunch/Lunch = 500 calories
* Supper = 700 calories
* Evening Snack = 350 calories

Lots of ways to configure the calories that make up an UD and still eat well at every meal, and still have evening snacks/treats covered too.
I have been making all of my own meals and plan each UD/DD ahead of time.

I am really hungry when I wake up but always eat the same breakfast- protein/veg/fruit smoothie..

Maybe turning my calories around like you suggest will help, but I feel like it's psychological. Life has been pretty miserable for a while now and I think I sort of rebel against being "denied" one.more.thing.

Not sure if that makes sense!

Sterlinggirl- I ate vegan for years and raw vegan in the last year or so. I *thought* I was eating low cal but had no idea how high in calories my meals were due to excessive nuts/fat (I love gourmet raw vegan desserts too much!!) so I think I have always ate a lot and just not thought much about it...

In general I really rebel against rules and it depresses me/causes anxiety to think about essentially eating every other day and KNOWING I am restricted on DD causes the free for all mess on my UD. I really want this WOE to work though, both for the simplicity of the program and the great results I see everyone having!

I feel like I just want a few days off even though it's probably going to make things worse. Guess I am just in a funk and it's spilling over into this part of my life too.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:06 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Quote:

Maybe turning my calories around like you suggest will help, but I feel like it's psychological. Life has been pretty miserable for a while now and I think I sort of rebel against being "denied" one.more.thing.

Not sure if that makes sense!

In general I really rebel against rules and it depresses me/causes anxiety to think about essentially eating every other day and KNOWING I am restricted on DD causes the free for all mess on my UD.
I really want this WOE to work though, both for the simplicity of the program and the great results I see everyone having!

I feel like I just want a few days off even though it's probably going to make things worse. Guess I am just in a funk and it's spilling over into this part of my life too.
We could go through the 'what are you eating, any trigger foods, etc" routine, but I think with what you've said here, it isn't necessary.

I think you already know why you overeat, because you stated it here. You don't want to be denied, so you aren't making yourself follow the rules.

I don't want this to sound harsh or uncaring, because I really do care. But there is NO part of our life that we can just chuck the rules and have it turn out well. Not with finances, not with our marriage, not with our job, not with our kids. Nothing. Indulging every whim is simply not the way an adult gets to live.

Food is no different. To live at a healthy weight, with a healthy heart, you simply have to be able to say "No". "I'm not going to eat that, I'm not really hungry. I'm going to drink some water, get busy and in 15 minutes, I'll see if I'm still hungry. I'm not going to eat the donut/cake/pie/cookie, I'm going to have some veggies or a salad, or some sf pudding. Sorry, calories are gone for the day, guess I'll have to pass."

You CAN control it. I know you can. Maybe the L-glutamine can help. But you also will need to address the rebellion against being told what to do before you will be able to master it, I'm afraid.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Nicky, I'm going to mention a couple of things, just in case they're relevant. Ignore them if they're not.
I jumped in something like five weeks ago. I planned, calorie-counted, focused on the positive changes, read everything on here about 55 times. And something started to turn in the wrong direction. It was like I was doing it right, but more and more I was aimed -psychologically - in the wrong direction. That manifested as UDs that grew crazily, and then, after a bit, DDs that went off track. I felt a resistance to deprivation growing inside me. (I love reading Pat'ss description of how much we get to eat, but for me, even UDs are hugely restrictive compared to what I used to eat, so UD meals look like Barbie food to me.)
Anyway, I pushed harder and something in me pushed back and I derailed.
So I regrouped and tried to clarify what was working for me and what was not (this, I imagine, is different for each of us)
Working: I feel better with a condensed eating window at the end of the day. I love going to bed satisfied and full, and I love NOT thinking about this stuff all day long. I want this to be a part of my life, not my entire life, and I was getting nuts.
Working: this forum
Working: minor caloric variation day to day. I like the research behind the cyclic calories. I'm not at ease with the practice, yet.
Not working: 300 cal DDs. Thought I could do it. In fact I did do it but it made monsters of my UDs after a while
Not working: spreading my calories throughout the day. Feels like deprivation all day long every day to me. Even reading Pat's beautiful description of it above makes me grind my teeth. I would love to be someone who responds well to that. Some day, maybe.
Not working: jumping to a total caloric combo that is such a huge departure for me. I need something less jarring
(Sorry for the length of this)
I went back to a four hour window, unrestricted calories. Felt better in about three days. Now I'm cycling loose UDs and DDs. It feels good.
It ain't exact, but I feel as though I'm aimed in the right direction, and as though I have a chance of getting there slowly, now, rather than watching my own resistance growing to a point of inevitable self-sabotage.
I'm happy for any feedback. Thought I'd toss my experience into the pot in case it gives you anything to use.
Thanks again for everybody here, for the wisdom and experience and incredible generosity,
Kristin
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
We could go through the 'what are you eating, any trigger foods, etc" routine, but I think with what you've said here, it isn't necessary.

I think you already know why you overeat, because you stated it here. You don't want to be denied, so you aren't making yourself follow the rules.

I don't want this to sound harsh or uncaring, because I really do care. But there is NO part of our life that we can just chuck the rules and have it turn out well. Not with finances, not with our marriage, not with our job, not with our kids. Nothing. Indulging every whim is simply not the way an adult gets to live.

Food is no different. To live at a healthy weight, with a healthy heart, you simply have to be able to say "No". "I'm not going to eat that, I'm not really hungry. I'm going to drink some water, get busy and in 15 minutes, I'll see if I'm still hungry. I'm not going to eat the donut/cake/pie/cookie, I'm going to have some veggies or a salad, or some sf pudding. Sorry, calories are gone for the day, guess I'll have to pass."

You CAN control it. I know you can. Maybe the L-glutamine can help. But you also will need to address the rebellion against being told what to do before you will be able to master it, I'm afraid.
All true, all stuff I needed to hear.

Thanks.

I reread this and have to add- oddly, I self impose A LOT of rules in my life that most people would find difficult (being vegan is one example) but because I so passionately believe in certain moral and ethical guidelines, I cannot live my life without these rules. With work, with my treatment of others, etc I follow a pretty strict code. With eating? Nada. Guess it's time to figure out a few things about myself!

Last edited by nickicaps; 05-18-2012 at 09:22 AM..
Old 05-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Nicky, I'm going to mention a couple of things, just in case they're relevant. Ignore them if they're not.
I jumped in something like five weeks ago. I planned, calorie-counted, focused on the positive changes, read everything on here about 55 times. And something started to turn in the wrong direction. It was like I was doing it right, but more and more I was aimed -psychologically - in the wrong direction. That manifested as UDs that grew crazily, and then, after a bit, DDs that went off track. I felt a resistance to deprivation growing inside me. (I love reading Pat'ss description of how much we get to eat, but for me, even UDs are hugely restrictive compared to what I used to eat, so UD meals look like Barbie food to me.)
Anyway, I pushed harder and something in me pushed back and I derailed.
So I regrouped and tried to clarify what was working for me and what was not (this, I imagine, is different for each of us)
Working: I feel better with a condensed eating window at the end of the day. I love going to bed satisfied and full, and I love NOT thinking about this stuff all day long. I want this to be a part of my life, not my entire life, and I was getting nuts.
Working: this forum
Working: minor caloric variation day to day. I like the research behind the cyclic calories. I'm not at ease with the practice, yet.
Not working: 300 cal DDs. Thought I could do it. In fact I did do it but it made monsters of my UDs after a while
Not working: spreading my calories throughout the day. Feels like deprivation all day long every day to me. Even reading Pat's beautiful description of it above makes me grind my teeth. I would love to be someone who responds well to that. Some day, maybe.
Not working: jumping to a total caloric combo that is such a huge departure for me. I need something less jarring
(Sorry for the length of this)
I went back to a four hour window, unrestricted calories. Felt better in about three days. Now I'm cycling loose UDs and DDs. It feels good.
It ain't exact, but I feel as though I'm aimed in the right direction, and as though I have a chance of getting there slowly, now, rather than watching my own resistance growing to a point of inevitable self-sabotage.
I'm happy for any feedback. Thought I'd toss my experience into the pot in case it gives you anything to use.
Thanks again for everybody here, for the wisdom and experience and incredible generosity,
Kristin
Kristin, you are my long lost twin. All of the "not working" stuff is exactly me to a T. Now, I am a little confused about your current plan- do you mean that on all days, you eat within a 4 hour window (unrestricted on UD but sticking to DD?) Have you lost weight? I am a total night eater and CANNOT sleep on an empty stomach, despite the fact that I hear it is so much healthier to do so.

Thanks so much for your input!!
Old 05-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Nicki, what I'm doing is trying to find my way back to "the plan" in a way that will work for me, by starting with stuff that makes me feel sane. I just jumped in too far over my head at the start, hoping that my enthusiasm would carry me the whole way.
So, I am doing a four hour window every day, about 2-6pm. It took a few days to get past early day stomach growling, but that was a breeze compared to the weeny 3 meal thing, which only made me crazily hungry all the time, not to mention crazily obsessed. So, coffee, tea, water until 2pm. Then reasonably mindful UDs with no calorie counting. The first JUDDD month gave me a reasonable idea of what 1650 cals looks like. This is rough, I know, but at the moment it doesn't make me rebel. And, my god, that feels like a beautiful amount of food late in the day. I go to bed feeling like a happy cat.
I've just started doing alternate "DDs", just making them somewhat lighter, watching my contentment/resistance response, with the goal of widening the gap as I can. It feels good, and aimed in the right direction.
My weight is creeping downward (with the bumps up and down), but I've lost my urgency. I won't make it the other way. I have a good chance of making it this way. It's one of those "to thine own self be true" things.
Mykidsteacher is right on for me in that I need to face my resistance. In my case, I think that'll work if I do it one bight at a time, rather than trying to swallow that elephant whole, if you know what I mean.
I love this discussion. I love getting clearer about what I want, who I am, and how to bring those things together. Let me know how it goes.
I'm on iPhone only for the next few days ( which makes for tedious typing), but I'll participate where I can.
All the best, and thanks again for a forum that is so supportive that we can express our struggles,
Kristin
I've got to learn to break these opuses up with more emoticons!:hea rt:
Old 05-18-2012, 09:43 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Leah
Stats: 144/144/122 5'5'' 36yrs
Start Date: April 1, 2013
I was having the same issue and had not lost in the past 3 weeks. But this week I have lost 3 pounds so far!!! What has helped I think is eating a little more on my DDs so I don't feel so deprived. I was doing strict 350 but I upped it to 500-600. It gives me enough calories to actually eat. Somehow it is helping me mentally to not feel so deprived and go crazy on my up days. Also on my UD I am eating really light the first half of the day, some of the same foods I do on dd, and then I can have a larger dinner or snacks later in the day. To me 1650 calories on UD still feels very much like a diet, but it has helped me to realize IT IS A DIET and if I get stricter and dont do free days I will lose faster and then I can enjoy MAINTENANCE!! I am in week 7 so maybe that has something to do with the weight loss too....JUDDD majic kicking in :>. Stick with it! Take a break if you need one, but keep trying!!
Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Leah, I should have started with higher DDs. Thought I could do 300. Not. Smart woman, you. Gotta tell you, my experience has given me enormous respect for the freakin' perseverance around here. You people are amazing.
Kristin
Old 05-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Kristin, you are my long lost twin.

I do hope you can zero in on just what makes you feel as you do, and then that you can find the best way to be able to deal with it.

I absolutely WAS one of those gals who could eat anything and everything and anytime and in any quantity and remain slim. For almost the first five DECADES of my life! It was sheer pleasure... and really set me up for obesity and being a big fat woman for the next two and a half DECADES. I'd never actually learned how to eat like a normal woman. I was an over-eater!

I finally woke up and decided I no longer wanted to live the rest of my life inside a fat body! I faced my reality and knew that I couldn't *eat at will* any longer because doing that was just making me fatter and fatter and fatter. Sadly.

So knowing that I have to restrict somewhere, in some manner, in order not to spend my life fat, I've come to love this way of restricting the most. By FAR!

I followed low carb for quite a few years, actually fairly well as far as the food choices went, most of the time, but eating low carb became a misery every day. I could eat as much as I wanted of the allowed foods if I didn't want to lose any weight, but in order to lose weight I had to eat less than I wanted of all the low carb foods AND.. my diet was limited to just the low carb stuff. I was even having to turn my back on just the moderate carb foods. I really grew to HATE it!

So then low calorie dieting. And talk about always having to control yourself! I managed to lose some weight, but every single day was less than I wanted - by A LOT!!! - and if I didn't cut every day down to hunger levels, I didn't lose. And then, that brought my metabolism slowing down to those low-calorie levels, so that really went in the opposite direction than I was wanting!

This is the only plan of control that gives me the most of what I want from my eating with the least of what I hated about other eating plans.

I absolutely love that I can choose to eat anything. And I absolutely love that after having followed this plan for quite awhile now, it has regulated my appetite down to normal levels at last, and I'm no longer the vacuum cleaner I was at one time.

I think JUDDD just finally taught me how to eat correctly to be able to enjoy food and live in a slimmer body. I don't have to be obese. And I don't have to give up chocolate frosted fudge brownies. For me, that's a WIN!

Hope you are able to resolve your feelings and angst in this area for yourself soon and in a way that brings you joy in your meals, and happiness with your body weight too!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

That's inspiring, Pat. Thanks,
Kristin
Old 05-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
That's inspiring, Pat. Thanks,
Kristin
Well, it worked best for me. But, you know... the plan that one person thrives on may end up being hell for another. I love JUDDD so much because it doesn't tell me what to eat or what not to eat or what foods have to be combined with what other foods or even when I need to eat and some hour that has to end my eating, etc. etc. etc.

If not restricting somewhere still worked for me, I wouldn't be following any eating plan now! You can bet on that! LOL But if eating at will and not restricting worked for me, I wouldn't have got fat and had to find my way to LCF.

So for me, this gives me the most of the benefits I enjoy while indulging my desire to have to give up very little. I can manage eating few calories every other day in exchange for getting fudge brownies and stuff on UDs!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Thanks pat and everyone for their responses, thoughts, and suggestions.

I have to add that despite all of these struggles, at last weigh in (I think sometime last week) I had dropped 11 pounds in about 5 weeks. This is sort of a miracle if you saw how much I have been eating on my UD.

Strangely, today is my first ever DD where I am totally struggling too!

I think I just need to get over myself and approach this WOE with the same kindness and compassion I feel for veganism/ahimsa.

It's funny/sad but I beat myself up a lot when I don't follow things consistently and perfectly when if I would just extend the same level of kindness to myself that I wish on others my life would probably be a whole lot more pleasant and peaceful.

I also like Kristin's idea of condensing mealtimes. I may just take all of my days and try to eat late afternoon to late evening- that doesn't mess anything up, right?
Old 05-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Well, it worked best for me. But, you know... the plan that one person thrives on may end up being hell for another. I love JUDDD so much because it doesn't tell me what to eat or what not to eat or what foods have to be combined with what other foods or even when I need to eat and some hour that has to end my eating, etc. etc. etc.

If not restricting somewhere still worked for me, I wouldn't be following any eating plan now! You can bet on that! LOL But if eating at will and not restricting worked for me, I wouldn't have got fat and had to find my way to LCF.

So for me, this gives me the most of the benefits I enjoy while indulging my desire to have to give up very little. I can manage eating few calories every other day in exchange for getting fudge brownies and stuff on UDs!
Your post reminds me that I give up so many foods- meats, dairy, soy, wheat, etc that I am already restricting myself (and happily!) so again, approaching this WOE with joy in mind might make it more of an adventure instead of a curse.

When I first went vegan, I loved the challenge of finding comparable or even BETTER versions of my favorite things- ice cream, pizza, cheese, etc. Maybe I need to apply that way of thinking to this too.

The lightbulb is slowly glowing brighter my loves!
Old 05-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Quote:
Thanks pat and everyone for their responses, thoughts, and suggestions.

I have to add that despite all of these struggles, at last weigh in (I think sometime last week) I had dropped 11 pounds in about 5 weeks. This is sort of a miracle if you saw how much I have been eating on my UD.

Strangely, today is my first ever DD where I am totally struggling too!

I think I just need to get over myself and approach this WOE with the same kindness and compassion I feel for veganism/ahimsa.

It's funny/sad but I beat myself up a lot when I don't follow things consistently and perfectly when if I would just extend the same level of kindness to myself that I wish on others my life would probably be a whole lot more pleasant and peaceful.

I also like Kristin's idea of condensing mealtimes. I may just take all of my days and try to eat late afternoon to late evening- that doesn't mess anything up, right?
And i am happy that you are losing at a great clip!!
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Hey jenny! I started taking the powder with my morning smoothie but I totally forget to take it after that. I haven't been consistent enough with this supplement bc I take so many already but your post has inspired me! I really need to simplify my eating/supplementing/life actually so I might cut some other things out and just stick to the basics :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
Actually I saw your post, Jenny, and have now ordered it to try to see if it also helps me with this "weak spot" of mine. Really appreciate that tip!
I really hope it helps!!!
I have a water bottle I drink out of all day, and just keep putting the l-glut into it.

But I make sure to
--take 5g after dinner/before bed (wake up less hungry)
--take 5g after waking up/before eating anything
--take at least one more 5g dose, usually sipped slowly during the day.

Sometimes I have to skip a dose or two on UDs!

This has enabled me to skip eating almost all day on DDs, and to limit my calories to the evening...trying to stave off hunger pangs all day with 50-100 calorie snacks doesn't work very well!

And this is something I'd like to say:
HUNGER IS NOT A CHARACTER FLAW.
IT IS NOT A WEAKNESS!

So many hormones, nutritional deficiencies and medications can cause hunger, as well as *thirst* and of course blood glucose levels. Stress itself can cause deficiencies and imbalances.

This may seem tangential, but I have bipolar disorder. For over 20 years I believed--and was told by my parents--that I was selfish & impulsive & unreliable & had a dozen other "character flaws". I tried & tried to better myself, to use nutrition & exercise to combat my depressive episodes.

TWO WEEKS of medication caused changes I never had achieved on my own, and couldn't even conceive of!

My point is--many of the things we beat ourselves up over are chemical imbalances, not weaknesses. And finding the right balance can change your life in what seems like an instant.

New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 05-18-2012 at 11:10 AM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
This is a really, really good thread.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #28

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
P J
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Overeating on UDs for me is partly psychological for me, I think. A part of me seems to think if I don't cram in LOTS of food, espec. late in the day, that I'll be STARVING on my DD and I won't make it thru the day. Anyone else feel that way?
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
My first week LCing, I made a SF cheesecake and had a big slice every night after dinner. Which was strange for me bc I wasn't much of a "dessert" person. I lost more weight that week than any other week (and I wasn't in induction, I was doing 100 carbs/day). I don't think it was just water weight bc when I cheated, I didn't have gains.

I struggle with UDs as well. It's either I don't plan or I feel deprived. I think the answer to not feeling deprived is to get into the kitchen and make low calorie treats. Eat SF pudding, SF jello or make black bean cakes...whatever you need to feel satisfied. Just count the calories and save them. I will sometimes have a DD meal so I can save calories for that treat on an UD

Goal weight met: Aug 19/11

I played in the Longest Game for CF. We broke the Guinness record for longest hockey game.
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote