Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lianora Mosswood
Stats: 165/121/115 5'3" 54 yrs
WOE: locarb primal juddd
Start Date: January 2011
Totally Out of Control: STRESS!

This is bad. Bad, bad, bad.

Last year, Feb 2011, I started low-carbing with Atkins and had a pretty good loss: from 165 to about 135 between February and October. I kept at Atkins, but stopped losing at 135 pounds and maintained there until Feb 2012 when I started JUDDD.

I am sitting at about 123-125 pounds now, since the beginning of April. DD were about 500-600 calories and UD averaging between 1400-1600 and I was pretty stringent, still eating mostly low-carb with some kind of candy treat once or twice during the week, but no grains, white potatoes, etc.

Ok, since the beginning of April, I have stayed on plan with JUDDD about 90-95% of the time with weight going from 122-125 back and forth. Part of my problem since April is that I feel hungry hungry hungry a lot. For the past few weeks, I just can't deal with the UD DD rotation.

Then, all of a sudden, within the last few weeks, it seemed like a lot of folks were posting about stalls, slow loss, etc, and some really great stuff came out of all of the conversation. I decided to try Pirate Jenny MUDDD.

Here's the problem. I feel hungry all the time. This is day 9 of MUDDD. I have not had an UD DD rotation for a few days, more like 1700 calorie days every day. Eating 3 meals/day, I don't snack. About 60g carb per day and not interested in eating grains, etc--they make me feel crummy. I do eat all meats, all kinds of veggies, eggs, cheese is really my only dairy and the occasional candy.

I am under a boatload of stress at work that probably will not slow down until mid to end of summer. There are some deep junky family things under the surface that don't "occur" every day, but I am worried, sad or stressed about them most of the time. My sleep is cr*p. Despite a 40 lb loss and low carb for over a year, my doc says I am pre-diabetic based on blood glucose of 103 (with 100 being the high end of normal). I am pretty sure the stress contributed to the glucose reading.

Aaack! I think I want to shift to maintenance right now, and see if I can just hang here without gaining until I feel some measure of normality. At 50% maintenance for my current weight, that's 745 DD, 1490 UD.

I note that a lot of JUDDDers have undergone some really stressful periods. Any advice?

44 down, 6 to go!
Lianora Mosswood is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lianora Mosswood View Post
This is bad. Bad, bad, bad.

Last year, Feb 2011, I started low-carbing with Atkins and had a pretty good loss: from 165 to about 135 between February and October. I kept at Atkins, but stopped losing at 135 pounds and maintained there until Feb 2012 when I started JUDDD.

I am sitting at about 123-125 pounds now, since the beginning of April. DD were about 500-600 calories and UD averaging between 1400-1600 and I was pretty stringent, still eating mostly low-carb with some kind of candy treat once or twice during the week, but no grains, white potatoes, etc.

Ok, since the beginning of April, I have stayed on plan with JUDDD about 90-95% of the time with weight going from 122-125 back and forth. Part of my problem since April is that I feel hungry hungry hungry a lot. For the past few weeks, I just can't deal with the UD DD rotation.

Then, all of a sudden, within the last few weeks, it seemed like a lot of folks were posting about stalls, slow loss, etc, and some really great stuff came out of all of the conversation. I decided to try Pirate Jenny MUDDD.

Here's the problem. I feel hungry all the time. This is day 9 of MUDDD. I have not had an UD DD rotation for a few days, more like 1700 calorie days every day. Eating 3 meals/day, I don't snack. About 60g carb per day and not interested in eating grains, etc--they make me feel crummy. I do eat all meats, all kinds of veggies, eggs, cheese is really my only dairy and the occasional candy.

I am under a boatload of stress at work that probably will not slow down until mid to end of summer. There are some deep junky family things under the surface that don't "occur" every day, but I am worried, sad or stressed about them most of the time. My sleep is cr*p. Despite a 40 lb loss and low carb for over a year, my doc says I am pre-diabetic based on blood glucose of 103 (with 100 being the high end of normal). I am pretty sure the stress contributed to the glucose reading.

Aaack! I think I want to shift to maintenance right now, and see if I can just hang here without gaining until I feel some measure of normality. At 50% maintenance for my current weight, that's 745 DD, 1490 UD.

I note that a lot of JUDDDers have undergone some really stressful periods. Any advice?
First a BIG for you and then I think you found your answer for now! Sounds like a good plan and one that will take the pressure off of at least one part of your life.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
First a BIG for you and then I think you found your answer for now! Sounds like a good plan and one that will take the pressure off of at least one part of your life.
I agree. Sometimes our smartest weight management strategy is pausing and holding for awhile before continuing on in weight loss mode again.

Dieting for weight loss is hard mentally, and if you have enough outside pressures going on that interfere with your commitment right now, best to go into maintenance for awhile.

You can always switch back into weight loss mode when you feel less stress trying to pull you off the path.

Just try to keep reasonably to your correct calorie numbers for a maintenance period, and also concentrate on getting a great amount of good nutrition right now.

I hope things settle down for you very soon. Stress is just exhausting.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
It is a big positive to give yourself permission to get healthier. Maintenance is healthy. Coping with the stressors in your life without adding to them in your own head or body is healthy. Finding new ways to be kind to yourself is healthy. Its your life and should have joy in it. Be at peace. Tomorrow Is a new day- live it well
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:32 AM   #5

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Sounds like an excellent plan. Dieting is just one more stressor that you don't need right now. Maintenance is a wonderful option to keep you accountable without having to be so strict.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Big hugs and I CAN RELATE!!!

My nurse at the doctor's office recommended this to me years ago because of stress and related problems w/ stress! It has changed my life! I have used this brand successfully, but have found another by Source Naturals that you can find on the major online store, which goes by "Theanine Serene w/ Relora" which I am taking regularly. My son who is in college was having a rough time with insomnia and he also loves this stuff.

NOW Foods Relora Stress and Appetite Control
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:01 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
BIg hugs Dont have any thing to add other than i hope that things get better for you soon.. Hang in there and take care of your self
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Sounds like a wise plan. Stress causes your adrenals to work overtime pumping out coritsol. Corstisol triggers the fight or flight repsonse, part of which is to conserve energy (calories) so you can do what needs to be done to protect yourself from whatever is trying to hurt you. If you are adding more stress with dieting, it really will be counterproductive. So reducing that little piece of stress by going to maintenance is a very wise decision.

You can go back to wlm when you feel ready to deal with it. And if that isn't until the end of summer, then so be it.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

You all are wonderful! Thanks for the support and the ideas, and for responding. It's really nice to have a "place" to share feelings and ideas where folks care, but are removed enough to be objective!

I am looking at some natural stress reduction concepts that I can implement without those things causing stress! Like walking, reading, aromatherapy and possibly natural supplements. I have some ideas about meditation and finding some time to clear a space in my brain for a while each day.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
You've gotten some great advice in this thread and you have so much on your plate right now it seems (hmm . . . probably a bad pun now that I think about it ).

Do you think it would be any easier to attempt, temporarily, a lower but even calorie intake daily to maintain? I know in theory that always sounds like it's less stressful to me, but then I find those daily calories always surpassing the "generous" amount. I totally get it.

Also, I'm wondering if the blood glucose you had taken was a fasting? I'm surmising so if 103 was deemed problematic. The reason I ask is that there's a phenomenon of higher fasting blood glucose when low carbing. It happened to me after just a little bit of time. What used to be 85 or 90 FBG turned into 101-103. I think PirateJenny has mentioned this too and I found some great stuff on Chris Kresser's blog about it. As soon as I added carbs (I have about 100g on up days, 40 or less on down) the FBG went back to normal. Just wanted to mention it in case it is helpful.

Hang in there.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Joyce, thanks for the thoughts about the fasting glucose. It's worth a thought!

A straight maintenance daily calorie for me is 1365--I'm not sure if I can hang with that, so I am going to shoot for the rotation and see how that goes. And reevaluate if needed, of course!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

I hear you. I do find it much easier to zig zag a bit (even if not strict JUDDDing) than to hold to the same calories each day.

Here's the blog post I mentioned-- http://chriskresser.com/when-your-“n...-normal-part-2

I had gestational diabetes years ago and so had the meter etc. it was astonishing how quickly my fasting blood glucose elevated when I went low carb.

Hang in there!
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #13

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Lianora, sorry for all the stress. I am there too at present. I have not been doing my rotations for a week.

I am up 4 lbs and cannot wait for a good DD tomorrow. I am still only 'at goal' so I cannot complain but I have been used to being 2 or 4 pounds below that.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Ahhh. . . some relief has arrived. Some things are so obvious! I did two things the other day when I started this thread: I cut my caffeine down by probably 75%, well, duh! I relaxed about my eating, still planning to keep to the maintenance limits for JUDDD for me and have been hungry since. . . makes me wonder how much power my mind really has over everything, so if I keep the thinking in check. . .

Joyce, I checked out the link to the Chris Kresser stuff and sent his take on low-carb and high fasting glucose to my doc to discuss in July. That also took away a layer of stress, because I could not imagine how losing 40 pounds and eating low carb could possibly contribute to diabetes!

Kissa, hang in there. Stress sucks, but it really nice to have a place for us to go (here, wonderful here) talk about it and get support and ideas.

Pat said "diet for weight loss can be hard mentally." I agree--I have grown tired of the vigilance and need a rest for a while. It has been a long commitment. Funny though how my hunger has decreased since I made this decision and that I have stayed within my limits for the past two days!
Old 05-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

I'm so happy to hear that it was helpful!

And yes . . . the perpetual vigilance is super tough. I have been feeling some of that myself lately.

Hang in there, ladies!!
Old 05-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lianora Mosswood View Post
Pat said "diet for weight loss can be hard mentally." I agree--I have grown tired of the vigilance and need a rest for a while. It has been a long commitment. Funny though how my hunger has decreased since I made this decision and that I have stayed within my limits for the past two days!
I hope your stress stays at a calmer level.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #17

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Good news, and I am feeling much better too. Coming here is such a help, I was really missing the support I get here.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Leonora, I don't know if you're interested considering supplements that often help with stress, but my stress levels were off the charts a few years ago. Top of range for cortisol is 9.5 and I was sitting at 14.1 and over a period of several years, ever since my father's death. Not only were we close, but my mother was concurrently diagnosed with cognitive impairment that has now progressed to dementia and is moving rapidly towards an Alzheimer's diagnosis. The disease has done a personality transplant and the mother I always got along with, we were best friends even, was now argumentative, difficult and downright contentious with everything me and my brother tried to do for her well-being. She lives in San Antonio, and I'm the nearest child so the burden of much of her healthcare management and issues falls to me, since my brother lives in Seattle. The frequent travel alone has been stressful, but she will not relocate up here and we're unwilling to force that issue. We have a CNA working with her 5 days a week ot help with everything she needs.

At an on-line friend's recommendation, I started taking Relora and chelated magnesium. I could tell the difference in how I felt within just a week or so on those two supplements: less edgy, less anxious, more at peace in my world. The very next blood test, my cortisol levels had dropped back down to normal range. My doc, who knows the source of my stress hasn't gone away, said to me "I don't know what you're doing to bring the cortisol down, but KEEP IT UP!" I have since discontinued the Relora, with no recurrence of high cortisol to my knowledge. But I won't hesitate to restart it in stressful times in future.

Just thought I'd mention it to you since it helped my cortisol levels so much.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I have read the JUDDD book (only once, so far) and from what I understand, you will not get the same results from calorie restriction on a daily basis that you get from the rotation (if I understand your OP, w MUDDD the calories are about the same daily).

So, if you have diminished the SIRT1, that may have something to do w the emotional aspect since the gene seems to increase calm reducing the 'feeling' of stress (even during periods of REAL stress).

I believe that the rotation is important even if DD calories are increased....to maintain the desired effect.
That would indicate that maintenance calorie increase would still be effective if the rotation is kept.

Anyone can jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.....Please!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Stress Relief On the Way!

jem51: I know you're right, and I am not interested in eating 1300 cals or so every day--that would be awful for several reasons!

Funny how, when you are at the end of your rope, and you finally speak up to someone, like, um, JUDDD BUDDS, everything starts to turn around. Well. . .

First I checked the caffeine and cut that by about 50%--big stress reduction right there. I got really serious about electronics before bed, so have been getting to sleep around 9 each night, get up at 4:30 or 5, so more better sleep. Then I looked into low carb and high fasting blood glucose (thanks, Joyce), found that low carb can cause elevated numbers, emailed my doc who got back same day and thought that was great info and we could stop worrying so much.

Next, I tried to really get my rotations under control, using 60% maintenance, and found I was not as hungry on UD as I had been. However, I really am still kind of struggling with the rotation, so I have this wacky idea to help myself ease back into it.

I got my current 60% UD/DD numbers, then my 55%, then the 50% and so on all the way down to my 20% WLM numbers. Here is the plan:

For the next five pounds or two weeks, I am going to go from 60% to 20%, one DD at a time. So I started:
DD 888 UD 1480
DD 814 UD 1480
DD 740 UD 1480
DD 666 UD 1480
DD 592 UD 1480
DD 518 UD 1480
DD 444 UD 1480
DD 370 UD 1480
DD 296 UD 1480

I am eating pretty close to the allotted calories per day--within 75 or so. So far, I am able to stick with the rotation--any rotation! So I am going to shoot for this rotation for two weeks and see. . . I said that about trying maintenance, but really, I don't want to just hang at this weight when I am so close to goal.

My real goal is to get to a DD that is WLM numbers: in 14 weeks of JUDDD, I have only had 9 DD at 500 or less, so that is going to be a real challenge for me.

I really appreciate all of the ideas and support here. Thanks, BUDDs.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Great update, Lianora! I'm so glad I posted that. Here's another link that might be helpful-- Hyperlipid: Physiological insulin resistance: Clarification of FBG