Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Mexican Bread calories?

My coworker brought in bread from the Mexican bakery this morning. All my day's planned eating is out the window!

I've had a roll filled with cream cheese and jalapenos and topped with sesame seeds. I have no idea what it's called and haven't been able to find calories listed anywhere on-line. Does anyone know what it's actually called, or have a good calorie estimate? The bread was not sweet, and the whole thing was about the size of two dinner rolls with about 1 - 1 1/2 oz cream cheeze and a few slices of jalapeno.

TIA!

JUDDD got me where I want to be!

Last edited by KeirasMom; 05-16-2012 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: spelling-ugh!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Location: Smack Dab in the center of Arkansas (Go Razorbacks!)
Gallery: arkie1
Stats: 286 highest 257/250.8/??
WOE: Low Carb-IF/cngd d to JUDDD/lc on 2/9/12 (230)
Start Date: Feb 8, 2010 IF ON 8-14-11
Dawn, in checking google, I found 2 1/2 ozs of the bread to contain 210 calories, and then you will have to add in the cream cheese and jalapenos. Another bakery listed their mexican french roll type bread as 205 per each slice, with 10 slice srvg in the french roll. HTH

Carole
arkie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #3

Thanks Carole. In my searching, I've discovered it's called a bolillo and comes from a panaderia. I just love learning new things.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Location: Smack Dab in the center of Arkansas (Go Razorbacks!)
Gallery: arkie1
Stats: 286 highest 257/250.8/??
WOE: Low Carb-IF/cngd d to JUDDD/lc on 2/9/12 (230)
Start Date: Feb 8, 2010 IF ON 8-14-11
YUM-m-m..looks and sounds delish! I'm sure you can work the calories in for this treat since it's an UD!

Carole
arkie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
ahhh.... yes you found the name. I was going to tell you it was a bolillo.

On my first job, our assistant brought in bags of fresh bolillos from Tijuana every morning. They were the most wonderful treat in the world! I fell in love with the crunchy crust and soft tender inside.

Delicious!!!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
Bolillos are soooooooooooooooooo good!! And with cream cheese and jalapneos.....Oh my!

I found a recipe for these on food.com that has the cream cheese and jalapenos and they put the calories at 178. So maybe that gives you a starting spot!

And as Mexican Pan Dulce (sweet bread) goes you could have done MUCH worse!
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #7

I estimated high with the ranges I found and put 1.5 oz cream cheese and came up with around 375. It was fairly large. I figure I can't go wrong overestimating. It was super yummy.

He's brought them before and I love them, but I haven't had one since I started JUDDD. These may have to become an UD staple.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Ya know this thread was kind of what i was thinking on my way in to work today.. Not the Bolillios part.. but the part about how in the world do we find the caloires from things we did not make or purchse with the calories listed.. i mean.. last nite i went to speed way and i had two mind you.. tornados(chicken w cheddar) and when i got home i was like,, how many calories were in them how do we know? I think in part my over estamating calories is in part where my problem lyes,, any ideas? Dont mean to hi-jack this thread dawn, but i was going to post something just like it today for ideas
I did by the way find the info on that item after i got home on line. but what do you do when you cant find it,, i guess thats my real quesiton..
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014

Last edited by sterlinggirl; 05-16-2012 at 10:47 AM..
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #9

I usually try to find something similar and then pick somewhere in the middle of the range, because there are usually a bunch of "like items" with a wide array of calories. If I absolutely can't find something similar, I'll enter every ingredient I know for sure it has, estimate how much of that ingredient, and then add a calorie "buffer" just in case-for unknown ingredients.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I usually try to find something similar and then pick somewhere in the middle of the range, because there are usually a bunch of "like items" with a wide array of calories. If I absolutely can't find something similar, I'll enter every ingredient I know for sure it has, estimate how much of that ingredient, and then add a calorie "buffer" just in case-for unknown ingredients.
I do that, too.
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #11

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
That sounds pretty delicious! I occasionally see a jalapeno bread available but never buy it because it just doesn't sound like it would be a good bread. Now.. this is just bread, mind you, not your delicious roll, but thinking of spreading it with creamed cheese makes it sound fairly appealing.

I love artisan breads a lot and always have a variety of them here, usually rotating and having three or four different kinds at any given time. They go stale sooner than *pre-sliced* non-bread in the plastic bag wrappers, but then I feed it to all the little critters and birds that live around here.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Thanks Dawn
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
I really haven't cooked much of anything from scratch since Janurary except very simple things because it makes my head expload just thinking of how to figure out the calories in it. And I really love to cook and bake. Mostly I've just made several versions of my homemade dog cookies since they are the only ones not counting calories. It just seems to daunting to deconstruct all the recipes item by item.
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote