Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 175.8/162.4/140...47 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: January 1, 2014
Curious about low carbing on UD

To those of you who do low carb on UD, DD or both...how is it working out for you? I'm doing fine with high carb but thought my body might get further confused if I did a few low carb days. I was actually going to start earlier this week but was curious about others experience.
Becky is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
I try to stay 90% low carb on both days. Saying that, I just downed a lemon-filled donut, which is not typical for me to do! I try to stay low carb most everyday except on Saturdays. That's when I eat a few more carbs to try to mess the ol' bod up. I have to watch it, though. Last Saturday I had way too many bad carbs and later it left me.

Since you're the opposite of how try to eat, it might shake up things. Try it and see!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
I try to stay 90% low carb on both days. Saying that, I just downed a lemon-filled donut, which is not typical for me to do! I try to stay low carb most everyday except on Saturdays. That's when I eat a few more carbs to try to mess the ol' bod up. I have to watch it, though. Last Saturday I had way too many bad carbs and later it left me.

Since you're the opposite of how try to eat, it might shake up things. Try it and see!
Was the doughnut good or too darn sweet? I remember sticking to Atkins like glue then eating something sweet after months of no sugar, boy was it sweet (I believe it was cake at a Birthday party that tasted too darn sweet, it was either that or the ice cream, my brain doesn't want to recall...). I Love JUDDD the way I'm approaching it now but feel a break from wheat & sugar would be good for a while, I can't go wacko with it because I become a grumpy, horrible person if my carbs fall below 30-ish.

Exercise 4x per week.
Drink more water (80+ oz per day)
~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Old 05-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
I'm doing this at the moment. It was my first low carb UD yesterday and it's quite hard to eat enough calories on strict low carb. I was still hungry too, so it's not a magic bullet for appetite control - at least for me. Maybe if you give it longer. Breaking the low carb regime will of course, break the ketosis and possible appetite control.

I am doing this in the hope that my weight stall will disappear. Having been eating bread and starchy carbs on JUDDD for a couple of months I can say I feel better on them. Low carb is not a long term WOE for me.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
I'm doing this at the moment. It was my first low carb UD yesterday and it's quite hard to eat enough calories on strict low carb. I was still hungry too, so it's not a magic bullet for appetite control - at least for me. Maybe if you give it longer. Breaking the low carb regime will of course, break the ketosis and possible appetite control.

I am doing this in the hope that my weight stall will disappear. Having been eating bread and starchy carbs on JUDDD for a couple of months I can say I feel better on them. Low carb is not a long term WOE for me.
I totally agree! I couldn't stick to low carb for more than 3 months but mostly due to my moods...I was severly grumpy and would yell all the time! I feel so much better eating carbs, but doing short bursts of low carb shouldn't make me a maniac, just long term. I'm not really worried about ketosis, since I'll probably only be doing this for a few weeks and only on UD.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
i have decided if i want to start losing on juddd (have been at it for months) i probably need to do it LC on UDs. my body just never 'adjusted' to adding carbs like everyone claims will happen. go look at my weigh-in's and you'll see the wild upswings i have after UDs. yesterday, i ate VLC all day till supper, then had mexican (with carbs) for supper. i was only up .8 this morning instead of the 2-3 up after a DD.

so i will continue mostly LC on UDs to see what that does.
dazygyrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
I have been following whats known i guess as moderate ( all whites gone, pasta, rice potatoes sugar and white bread) and yesterday i had Minite maids cranberry/grape .. WOW was it sweet.. says 74 grams of sugar!!!! Before i read that.. i got about half way thru it and was in pain~ My stomach hurt soo bad.. i wont be doing that again any time to soon~ Scale today said up by 2.8 pounds which is a normal bounce up for me, so i saw no change from one day to the next.. just wanted to share that
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
To those of you who do low carb on UD, DD or both...how is it working out for you? I'm doing fine with high carb but thought my body might get further confused if I did a few low carb days. I was actually going to start earlier this week but was curious about others experience.
Actually, I don't believe that our body gets confused at all. I think it just reacts as it is designed to react, based on what is ingested. In most mammals, when carbs are in sufficient supply, our bodies are able to burn them efficiently and store excess for future fuel needs. And, of course, we now know that the storage process involves some water weight. When carbs fell few and far between in our surroundings, our bodies could switch to existing on animal fats and proteins alone.

But I don't think our bodies get confused about any of this process. I believe our bodies just do whatever needs to be done, based on what is fed into our stomachs.

I don't intend to live my life at very low carb levels, so I eat everything. At one point when I was sticking to very low carb for a long time, I had pretty much increased my own sensitivity to carbs, and I didn't want to do that to my body. Another time when I was low carbing only, I relied on eggs more than my body could handle, and I brought on a real egg sensitivity! I don't want to make myself overly sensitive to anything, either by limiting it or by indulging in it too extremely, so now I just eat a huge variety of foods from the zero carb foods and low carb things all the way through mid-range carb foods and some very high carb choices too. I sure do like it!

And my body isn't confused at all. It just does what it does, regardless of what level of proteins, fats, or carbs it's fed in any given meal or day. Hope this thought helps you consider your question from all angles.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Erika1962
Stats: 260-181.4-/-170-5'5/51
WOE: Grain/ Sugar free and 4:3
I been trying to keep my carbs as low as possible, on DD and UD,the only way for me to lose weight at all. My carbs come mostly from fruits and veggies
Erika1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Was the doughnut good or too darn sweet? I remember sticking to Atkins like glue then eating something sweet after months of no sugar, boy was it sweet (I believe it was cake at a Birthday party that tasted too darn sweet, it was either that or the ice cream, my brain doesn't want to recall...). I Love JUDDD the way I'm approaching it now but feel a break from wheat & sugar would be good for a while, I can't go wacko with it because I become a grumpy, horrible person if my carbs fall below 30-ish.
Well, sadly, nothing is ever too sweet for me, so it tasted yummy. I'm the type that would rather pass up dinner and get straight to the desserts. But, too much sugar definitely does affect my insides. Tummy cramps and such.

Unlike stargazer, low carb does keep me much more satisfied, particularly the fat involved. Carbs do nothing but make me hungrier and hungrier.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Actually, I don't believe that our body gets confused at all. I think it just reacts as it is designed to react, based on what is ingested. In most mammals, when carbs are in sufficient supply, our bodies are able to burn them efficiently and store excess for future fuel needs. And, of course, we now know that the storage process involves some water weight. When carbs fell few and far between in our surroundings, our bodies could switch to existing on animal fats and proteins alone.

But I don't think our bodies get confused about any of this process. I believe our bodies just do whatever needs to be done, based on what is fed into our stomachs.

I don't intend to live my life at very low carb levels, so I eat everything. At one point when I was sticking to very low carb for a long time, I had pretty much increased my own sensitivity to carbs, and I didn't want to do that to my body. Another time when I was low carbing only, I relied on eggs more than my body could handle, and I brought on a real egg sensitivity! I don't want to make myself overly sensitive to anything, either by limiting it or by indulging in it too extremely, so now I just eat a huge variety of foods from the zero carb foods and low carb things all the way through mid-range carb foods and some very high carb choices too. I sure do like it!

And my body isn't confused at all. It just does what it does, regardless of what level of proteins, fats, or carbs it's fed in any given meal or day. Hope this thought helps you consider your question from all angles.
This did help a lot. I know I could never live my life at low carb levels, I'm just not a happy person with very low carbs in my life for extended periods, but there were good points too, my hair was growing back (it had been thinning over the past 2 years) and my face and nails were looking good! My nails are still nice and strong, my face isn't too bad and my hair is doing pretty good, though I don't see as many little baby hairs growing now. I kinda think I feel guilty about eating so many carbs, I have been on the main board for the past couple days and everyone there is so anti carb it guilts me out and I start overthinking... I think due to the fact that I was such a low carb deciple I still deep down think they are bad for me. I should probably stay away from the main board as they are all where I was pre-JUDDD, most of them think carbs of any sort are pure evil. I do agree that sugar is not the best and I could live without wheat. I've read all the books, DANDR, Gary Taubes etc...they all say how bad wheat and sugar are for us... I really think I should read TADD, it's sitting right next to me just begging me to read it, I have skimmed it but I should delve in and get the full gist.

I guess I thought I could confuse my body, but what you said makes sense. I should just eat the way I expect to eat for the rest of my life.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Well, sadly, nothing is ever too sweet for me, so it tasted yummy. I'm the type that would rather pass up dinner and get straight to the desserts. But, too much sugar definitely does affect my insides. Tummy cramps and such.

Unlike stargazer, low carb does keep me much more satisfied, particularly the fat involved. Carbs do nothing but make me hungrier and hungrier.
See that is my problem, until ketosis kicks in low carb leaves me starving, I could eat 6 scrambled eggs and still be hungry 2 hours later, but a cup of oatmeal with brown sugar leaves me full for at least 4 hours. Ketosis works wonders with hunger of course but I can't be so grumpy and nasty, it makes low carb unsavory for me. My husband said my vegetarian days (I've done vegetarian on and off for years at a time) made me grumpy too! UGH!! Maybe I'm just a grump by nature though I've been very happy on JUDDD, bordering on peaceful...maybe I should rethink messing with that...
Old 05-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
See that is my problem, until ketosis kicks in low carb leaves me starving, I could eat 6 scrambled eggs and still be hungry 2 hours later, but a cup of oatmeal with brown sugar leaves me full for at least 4 hours. Ketosis works wonders with hunger of course but I can't be so grumpy and nasty, it makes low carb unsavory for me. My husband said my vegetarian days (I've done vegetarian on and off for years at a time) made me grumpy too! UGH!! Maybe I'm just a grump by nature though I've been very happy on JUDDD, bordering on peaceful...maybe I should rethink messing with that...
I could eat 10 eggs and still be hungry an hour later, despite the fat in them! The other fat - cream cheese, full fat yogurt, etc. keeps me happy. I never know if I'm in ketosis and being on JUDDD, don't care. I think the combination of the Sirt1 gene and low carb - for me - helps me tremendously with my hunger issues. Or lack thereof, being that I have to make sure I eat enough on my UD's!

But ... if eating more carbs works for you on JUDDD and keeps you peaceful, do what works best for you! Just put together a DD menu that works to keep you satisfied.

What's been mentioned before is true - JUDDD is more about how you eat, not so much what you eat. Eat what makes you happy!

Last edited by vanilla_latte; 05-16-2012 at 01:38 PM..
Old 05-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Quote:
I don't know if you've ever read anything by Dr. Mercola, but he talks about nutritional types (a google search will lead you to his site, and searching nutritional type there should lead you to a quiz to find out your type). Some are protein types and they do well on atkins/low carb plans. Some are carbohydrate types, and they tend to do poorly. Then there is a mixed type.

But even if you are a carbohydrate type, there is def a difference between the carbs in veggies and limited whole grains, and the carbs in white flour and sugar. Maybe it isn't carbs in general you need to avoid, but specific KINDS of carbs. Focus on veggies, some fruits, whole grains in moderation.

It might be a good compromise, between the grumpy vlc, and the eat anything you want but get nowhere level.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #15

The thing is.. my guess is that the vast majority of your foods are quite low carb ones already. Those are the foods that make up the largest part of our meals just naturally. The meats we eat, side salads of various veggies with greens and a nice dressing, the side vegetables may well be very low carb choices. In other words, the bulk of our meals is probably still being made up of low carb choices! We may have some breading or marinade that has a bit of sugar in it, or maybe the salad dressing has a speck of sugar in the dressing recipe, but even those few carbs don't add in that much.

And if a person truly follows Dr. Atkins' diet plan anyway, he takes us up through steps until we're eating some of the higher carb veggies, fruits, even grains! (gasp...) And that's still considered low carb! I have his book, "Atkins for Life" where he has 40 menus listed for each of his four steps of weight loss and maintenance, and was surprised and relieved to see him allowing whole grain dinner roll, small baked potato, serving of pasta or rice, etc. along with the other lower carb foods.

Somehow many have simply ceased to follow the Atkins plan as Dr. Atkins designed it and laid it all out for us. Instead, some have apparently decided to do only his first level of the four, induction (or close to it) forever. They add in a few of the foods listed in the Ongoing Weight Loss lists, and very few at that, and then that's it.

I'm not advocating eating a high carb diet at all. Despite my delight and appreciation of high carb foods, and my inclusion of them in my own diet, I do think that people overlook the fact that most of us choose a basic and healthful diet that is still usually pretty moderate, even with the inclusion of some high carb things.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
JUDDD is more about how you eat, not so much what you eat. Eat what makes you happy!
Yes, yes, a million times, YES!!

Life is short and life is too often hard. Why eat stuff we only marginally like if we don't have to? I'm not talking about eating exclusively cake all day, every day, or anything like that. But if we have no food allergies, if we're able to buy it, if we like it, we should eat it if that's what sounds good and agrees with us.

There is no virtue in being a "pious dieter". That sort of way of life is joyLESS and full of anxious moments. I've BTDT and am DONE FOREVER with that. AMEN.

Eat what you want, eat what makes you "feel good". I guarantee you no one will engrave on your tombstone,"Such a virtuous soul - Nary a carb (or fat) passed her lips."
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

What Pat said. And Tina, too.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimberino
Stats: 235/141 50 yo
WOE: Atkins/now JUDDD
Start Date: 3 '09 Atkins-3 '12 JUDDD
I've learned I have to avoid the Main Board for that very reason Becky. After strict low carbing for 3 years, and now JUDDDing (with a natural bent toward moderate carb, not by choice), it messes with my head to read all the "carbs are bad" threads. Although I lost the majority of my weight with LC, I'm happy to have found JUDDD.
kimberino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #19

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Lost with JUDDD! Maintaining with HDE/IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
I don't know if you've ever read anything by Dr. Mercola, but he talks about nutritional types (a google search will lead you to his site, and searching nutritional type there should lead you to a quiz to find out your type). Some are protein types and they do well on atkins/low carb plans. Some are carbohydrate types, and they tend to do poorly. Then there is a mixed type.

But even if you are a carbohydrate type, there is def a difference between the carbs in veggies and limited whole grains, and the carbs in white flour and sugar. Maybe it isn't carbs in general you need to avoid, but specific KINDS of carbs. Focus on veggies, some fruits, whole grains in moderation.

It might be a good compromise, between the grumpy vlc, and the eat anything you want but get nowhere level.
I just took the Mercola test and it told me I'm a protein type. When I did the Jillian Michaels one, it gave me the mixed type. I actually think I'm somewhere in between, maybe a little closer to mixed, so there's some merit there. Thanks for the info.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the wise words everyone!

I'm going to eat what I like and what makes me happy following JUDDD the whole time and not worry about it. I'm also going to resist the main board!

The Mercola site said I was a mixed type, so I guess I'm on track.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #21

I couldn't find the Mercola section where I actually take the test. It looked like I had to buy a program or something.....

I did take the Jillian Michaels test and it said I was right in the middle... recommended 40% carbohydrate and 30% protein with 30% fat. And I think that overall, that's about how I eat. I'm supposed to eat a wide variety of foods, sort of a *some of everything* type of diet, and that's what I do anyway and enjoy.

I don't know how much I buy into all of this, but it's fun anyway. And for me, it turned out to be how I like to eat the best anyway.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:37 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tamilda
Stats: 270/215/145
Start Date: 8/09/11 Atkins @ 270
I'm sorry you felt the main board was ANTI carb. I don't feel that way at all and enjoy reading the other perspectives. This is called "low carb friends" after all I personally eat low carb with JUDDDD because it is the healthiest choice for me and that is my main reason for losing weight, to be healthy. To each his own, is what makes this world interesting.
Tamilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I couldn't find the Mercola section where I actually take the test. It looked like I had to buy a program or something.....

I did take the Jillian Michaels test and it said I was right in the middle... recommended 40% carbohydrate and 30% protein with 30% fat. And I think that overall, that's about how I eat. I'm supposed to eat a wide variety of foods, sort of a *some of everything* type of diet, and that's what I do anyway and enjoy.

I don't know how much I buy into all of this, but it's fun anyway. And for me, it turned out to be how I like to eat the best anyway.
You have to sign up for the site to get the test, I just set it up on my "crap email" account and took the test, it took me forever to figure that site out! I didn't want to spend anything....! I took the test twice, once honestly (came out mixed) once I skewed the answers to make it low carb (protein) and sure enough...protein!
Old 05-17-2012, 07:47 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamilda View Post
I'm sorry you felt the main board was ANTI carb. I don't feel that way at all and enjoy reading the other perspectives. This is called "low carb friends" after all I personally eat low carb with JUDDDD because it is the healthiest choice for me and that is my main reason for losing weight, to be healthy. To each his own, is what makes this world interesting.
I agree, everone needs to find what works for them, and maybe it was just the threads I was reading but it did seem very anti carb. Everyone is so gung ho that carbs (in general) are horrible for your health, and yeah sugar is yummy but you probably shouldn't eat cotton candy every day. This board is much mellower and friendlier, I was afraid to post on some of the theads on the main board for fear of the "tisk tisk, you really shouldn't be eating so many carbs" that I was hoping not to hear, if I dared mention that I eat at least 100 carbs daily. Heck, when I was on Atkins and people mentioned eating more than 50 carbs I would have thought to myself that you simply can't lose weight and be healthy eating so many carbs, yes, Atkins deciple I certainly was!! I just don't feel comfortable over there anymore. and that is okay, but I probably will still read and occasionally post.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamilda View Post
I have found over the years that the main board can get really ugly at times about plans that are not first rung Atkins. The sad part is that Atkins was never intended to be very low carb forever.
I do not feel like carbs are the spawn of the devil but I have been the target of very vile reponses over the years. I followed LC ( not very low carb) low fat to lose my initial weight since I cannot lose eating high fat. Just me. I even lose with the Rice Diet and I am sure that would not go over well on the main board.
BUT I can lose on JUDDD eating whatever.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/148/139 JUDDD 01/08/12
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I FIRMLY believe in low-carb for weight loss, and FIRMLY believe everyone doing it should work all the way up through the higher fruit rung and even the grains rung of the Atkins OWL ladder to find out what they can/can't tolerate. I believe we learn much during that slow reintroduction process.

Over a two year period, I slowly re-introduced every single food, as Dr. Atkins intended. I ruled out nothing. In small amounts, I can eat rice, bread, potatoes or wheat/grains, even real sugar. But I rarely do on my UP days now. SMALL amounts of these foods are not problematic at all for me. The key word there is SMALL. Pre-low-carbing, pre JUDDD, I didn't eat them in SMALL amounts. I ate them daily and multiple times throughout any given day. Not good. I find I have gained much self-control on my 3-year journey and have learned I can eat these foods occasionally without re-addicting myself to them or causing cravings. Only time will confirm or deny that hypothesis.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: babykinz
WOE: LCishJUDDD
I did my first two weeks of JUDDD LC induction lvl carbs, its was very difficult to get those UD calories in, or even close. So I decided to add carbs, which scared me frightened of trigger foods. I was smart how I added them and now , for the first time in my adult life, I can eat a normal portion of food and stop. ...
Thats the Magic Baby!
babykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babykinz View Post
I did my first two weeks of JUDDD LC induction lvl carbs, its was very difficult to get those UD calories in, or even close. So I decided to add carbs, which scared me frightened of trigger foods. I was smart how I added them and now, for the first time in my adult life, I can eat a normal portion of food and stop. ...

Thats the Magic Baby!

Isn't it great?!