Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LayMiz
Stats: 229/209/145; 5'4", 59yo
WOE: 4 #s on LC, rest on JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD Apr. 16, 2012
How often do you check the Calorie Calculator?

I am down 11#s from JUDD with the additional 4 #s from LC, that's 15lbs in 1month and 3 weeks. Do I re-calculate?

Last edited by LayMiz; 05-15-2012 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Time on diet
LayMiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
The general consensus is to not recalculate unless you stop or really slow down in your loss. Some never have to change their numbers.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LayMiz View Post
I am down 11#s from JUDD with the additional 4 #s from LC, that's 15lbs in 1month and 3 weeks. Do I re-calculate?
I wouldn't.

Here's the thing. Weight loss occurs in fits, in runs, in streams, in pauses, in whooshes and in stalls. It's damaging to believe that weight loss happens as we see it on a scale - necessarily - within a day or two, or a week, of what we are eating. What we see on the scale is only a small part of the entire story!!! And it very often misleads us.

So if we usually weigh less after a DD, it's easy to believe that we always will, and that the lower scale weight is lost body fat. And it may include an ounce or two of fat lost, but is mostly because of very little *food* in our gut from the previous day. LOL

And if we have gone a week or two (and maybe even longer), and we aren't seeing much happening on that scale other than a constant bouncing up and down the same couple of pounds, it's easy to tell yourself it isn't working. And then you are apt to GO OFF PLAN and try something else to *tweak* your diet.

And here's the danger: During that week or two, your body may very well have been losing body fat!!!!! But it has been hanging on to water fill in those empty fat cells. So the scale is telling you that you weigh the same. And you have truly been losing FAT all that time!!!!!

If your body jettisons that water weight from the emptied fat cells around the time you do your *tweak*, you're liable to be misled into thinking JUDDD wasn't working and it was your tweak that caused the weight loss. And being misled, you are now NOT doing JUDDD anymore, as it was designed, and as it was, indeed, working for you, and you will now be doing something that may not work as well in the long run. That won't rev up your metabolism as you lose weight. That won't keep your big spread as far apart as your true number should be. That ends up putting your body on a diet that is effectively a whole lot more like a general low calorie diet plan and a whole lot less like JUDDD.

I believe you should not re-figure and lower your calorie numbers until you have experienced a substantial slow down and then ending of much weight loss, and then I'd have to be maintaining only for awhile to prove to myself that my numbers were now too high and it was time to re-figure.

And here's another wonderful thing about this plan... Often enough, if we truly follow our set calorie numbers and respect those calorie ceilings, our body will be healing, and our metabolism will rev up at the same time we are losing weight, so it's entirely possible as you go along that your numbers may not need to be changed at all. It can happen that your metabolism works better, the longer you do JUDDD, and you can eat MORE than the JUDDD calculator gives you. And BOY!!! Is that ever frosting on the cake.

But you have to do your correct numbers to be able to expect this fun little extra to happen for you. So don't be too quick to lower your given numbers. Good luck! I wish you nothing but success! Woo Hoo!

Last edited by SoHappy; 05-15-2012 at 11:26 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LayMiz
Stats: 229/209/145; 5'4", 59yo
WOE: 4 #s on LC, rest on JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD Apr. 16, 2012
O thanks so much. That makes sense.
LayMiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
I am so happy that you asked this question, I've been wondering that myself.

Thank you so much SoHappy, I'm grateful that I won't have to worry about this yet.
NoWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:20 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdforshort
Stats: 221/171/140, 5'4", 61yrs
WOE: Atkins/PPower/Mod Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: LC 3/23/12, JUDDD 6/2/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I wouldn't.

Here's the thing. Weight loss occurs in fits, in runs, in streams, in pauses, in whooshes and in stalls. It's damaging to believe that weight loss happens as we see it on a scale - necessarily - within a day or two, or a week, of what we are eating. What we see on the scale is only a small part of the entire story!!! And it very often misleads us.

But you have to do your correct numbers to be able to expect this fun little extra to happen for you. So don't be too quick to lower your given numbers. Good luck! I wish you nothing but success! Woo Hoo!
Thank you so much for this response, I was just going to recalculate when I came across this thread! You are so right about the way weight is lost, one week I am very slow and the next I am surprised with the whoosh! So no tweaking until stall!
jdforshort is offline   Reply With Quote