Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
And you deserve it, Barb. You are a REALLY inspiring example of persistence. Thanks.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusrose63 View Post
The "I Have a Dream" portion of my closet is starting to become reality. Capris, skirts, shorts are snug when standing upright, still no sitting in them. BUT, they are fitting over my hips and I can actually zip them. Yes, progress is being made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
And you deserve it, Barb. You are a REALLY inspiring example of persistence. Thanks.
Absolutely right!
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:01 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hollyitworks
Stats: 185/168/130 -17 Woohoo!
WOE: JUDDD (Is there any other way?)
Start Date: Restart July 2012 JUDDD. Start May 2012 Atkins
Great Thread!

What a great and inspiring thread. I think this may be a better way to judge. The bouncing scale really gets me!

I'll let you know how it goes!
hollyitworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Check frequently!

Clothing has a tendency to leap from Can't sit in it yet to Wow I can stuff my whole arm in there!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #35
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Check frequently!

Clothing has a tendency to leap from Can't sit in it yet to Wow I can stuff my whole arm in there!
Quoted for Truth!!

I've missed the window of opportunity a couple of times. Giddy and disappointed at the same time!
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/151/145
Start Date: March 2012
Thanks Barb for the reminder to look at the bigger picture then just the scale. You are doing great and I love that the dream part of your closet is getting closer to fitting!
I have been bouncing around the same numbers weight wise now since the end of May and have really had to rely on my tape measure for motivation as much as I would love to see that scale number change for me. I am now almost at the same weight that I measured at last month (really almost a pound higher) but my waist is down an inch from 30" to 29" and have lost 3/4" off each thigh and an inch and a half of back fat(measure at my belt button height). I also lost a half inch off my bust but I guess that is ok if it takes the back fat with it!
I also lost 1.3% of body fat and gained a percentage of muscle as measured by my fancy scale. I am not at the goal I had stuck in my head for the longest time but I am smaller than I was the last time I weighed that weight so am thinking of just working on maintanence. I am really glad that I didn't just measure JUDDD by the scale or I would have been pretty discouraged this month.
Thanks to everyone who stressed how important measuring is and Yam-yam glad you said to measure everything as I wouldn't have realized how much back fat I was losing!

Last edited by Babsbabs; 07-13-2012 at 02:08 PM..
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cactusrose63
Stats: 156/156/130 - 5'4", Age: 53
WOE: JUDDD 1900/800 or less if I can!
Start Date: JUDDD restart June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsbabs View Post
Thanks Barb for the reminder to look at the bigger picture then just the scale. You are doing great and I love that the dream part of your closet is getting closer to fitting!
I have been bouncing around the same numbers weight wise now since the end of May and have really had to rely on my tape measure for motivation as much as I would love to see that scale number change for me. I am now almost at the same weight that I measured at last month (really almost a pound higher) but my waist is down an inch from 30" to 29" and have lost 3/4" off each thigh and an inch and a half of back fat(measure at my belt button height). I also lost a half inch off my bust but I guess that is ok if it takes the back fat with it!
I also lost 1.3% of body fat and gained a percentage of muscle as measured by my fancy scale. I am not at the goal I had stuck in my head for the longest time but I am smaller than I was the last time I weighed that weight so am thinking of just working on maintanence. I am really glad that I didn't just measure JUDDD by the scale or I would have been pretty discouraged this month.
Thanks to everyone who stressed how important measuring is and Yam-yam glad you said to measure everything as I wouldn't have realized how much back fat I was losing!
Yeah, amazing how much back fat we have even so close to goal!!

Wow, Barb, you are doing amazing, so many inches lost, more muscle definition--YES!!

I have said this before, I may have to include it in my signature...If I feel I look great and I feel great and I think I look great in my clothes...would I really care if I was at goal weight???

Still, I do understand the importance of having goals, they keep us on track, but we shouldn't be slaves to them once we know we have additional ways of measuring our progress.

Lost 3 pounds from Jan 1 2012 til April 30 2012 by "eating healthy", LC, etc...
Lost 12 pounds from May 1 2012 til September 1 2012 with JUDDD

Down and Up 10-15# every year since 2000 with VLC, semi LC and Carb Cycling
Anticipating forever success with JUDDD!!
cactusrose63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

You have definitely asked the question that has been on my mind. I decided that my goal weight was 145 about 20 years ago when I was sitting in my Dr.s office at over 200 pounds with very high blood pressure. It was really more of a guess at what I should weigh than anything. If I had known how great I would feel at 150 would I have picked that number?
I probably still have 5 pounds of back fat so I will give it a bit longer before I decide. I am also curious how much longer my measurements will keep getting smaller even without the weight loss.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I actually 'caught' one last week. I usually measure on Monday. Last Monday my waist was (as it had been for months) 32. Tuesday I thought, something is different and my waist had dropped to 30.5. Where it remains although I have lost four scale pounds subsequently.

How the heck does fat know?????

And, dang, I want to see that number drop below 30! My body is taunting me!
Old 07-14-2012, 06:09 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

You Barbs are SO inspiring! This is really helpful today. This maintenance picture doesn't fit perfectly in my head, yet, and I'm grateful for the reminder that our bodies change constantly. Our bodies know SO much more than our heads, don't they?
Old 07-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Nancy- that is great! Don't you love it when you have that feeling things have changed and you measure and it has! Totally understand the body taunting you thing too. I think I enjoy these improvements for about 2 seconds before my brain starts thinking about how great the next goal will be!
Kristen- I am so interested in how you end up getting you mind around maintenance. I actually think that I am sabotaging my weight loss a tad because I am afraid of goal. Crazy I know!! Anyway, I leave for 3 weeks in Europe soon and I am thinking of just claiming goal (mentally) and seeing if that gives me the the mental boost to hang onto this weight and not return home back at my start weight....I think whatever I decide I am packing that tape measure.
Barb-thanks for the reminder that there are other ways to measure our goals. With no scale on my trip I will have to try to stay foccused on those.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #42
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Check frequently!

Quoted a 2nd time for truth!

Had a pants on the ground experience this morning. My PJs are so huge. I don't even know when this happened. I stepped out of bed this morning and had my pajamas pool around my feet! I wished I has a real life "Warning! Pants on the ground" sign to hold up like Sheridan made.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:41 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Had a pants on the ground experience this morning. My PJs are so huge. I don't even know when this happened. I stepped out of bed this morning and had my pajamas pool around my feet!
CONGRATULATIONS! It is such good news when someone's pants hit the ground!

Barb, in May I went on a fun and food filled vaycay. And I aimed (sometimes missed) to eat at maintenance levels. Psychologically, I think really helped me keep on track.

Also, I totally agree - goal is coming and I do find myself feeling strange about it. Like, okay, I know how to lose weight now....but maintaining seems scary.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #44
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Loving visiting here. Makes me smile.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:53 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hollyitworks
Stats: 185/168/130 -17 Woohoo!
WOE: JUDDD (Is there any other way?)
Start Date: Restart July 2012 JUDDD. Start May 2012 Atkins
When you think about your goal weight

Hi Ladies,

I love reading about the tape measure victory's! If you feel great at a certain weight, maybe claim that as a goal and see how it looks and feels. Sometimes we get a number in our head and we don't feel happy until we get there. Take a good look in the mirror and see how you feel about how you look. Sometimes less isn't better.

Holly
hollyitworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Great idea Holly! We are allowed to change our minds right?
I look forward to reading more tape measure victories and pants hitting the ground successes!
Old 07-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Two and a Half Month JUDDD Summary...

Good morning all, I am confused. My tape measure says that there has been no significant change in the past 2 weeks, yet my clothes are fitting better. How does that work???

Hmmm...I tried those clothes on the other day...I overdid it a bit yesterday (was supposed to be a DD), maybe water weight puffiness because the scale went up a bit as well??

Well I won't worry about it for now. My main concern is I am leaving for a mini vacation to visit some friends. No control over my food, no scale. It's a bit scary to me after I feel I have done pretty well since starting JUDDD, with an occasional blip here and there. I am just going to make a mental note to eat lighter every other day. Now I am really glad I have tracked calories so closely on my UD on this WOE, I think this will really come in handy over the next few days. Will check in on Saturday...and yes I am going to weigh in right away--so very curious about this little experiment.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:55 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsbabs View Post
Kristen- I am so interested in how you end up getting you mind around maintenance. I actually think that I am sabotaging my weight loss a tad because I am afraid of goal. Crazy I know!! Anyway, I leave for 3 weeks in Europe soon and I am thinking of just claiming goal (mentally) and seeing if that gives me the the mental boost to hang onto this weight and not return home back at my start weight.
Barb, three weeks in Europe! Enjoy!
I have NOT got my head around, through, over, or under maintenance yet! I may start a thread about it to ask for thoughts.
I feel like a cartoon character running for a finish line (that might be the problem), and veering off at the last second only to run off a cliff instead. This looks like UUADs or my first mucked rotation (resulting in three consecutive UDs) in three months. I panic for a bit and then regain a sense of humour. I pick myself up and run toward the finish line - and the cliff - again.
The thing is that I've been trying to lose 10-20 pounds for about 35 years. It's like I get profoundly uncomfortable when that identity is threatened, not consciously, but underneath. Down at magma level.
The other thought is that perhaps I need an entirely different concept than "maintenance". Maybe it's like a video game (okay,I don't know video games but I'm using the analogy anyway) in which WL is one level of skill and I have to graduate through that into a different skill level to meet a different set of challenges and rewards.
I dunno. I'd appreciate any thoughts.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:00 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusrose63 View Post
My main concern is I am leaving for a mini vacation to visit some friends. No control over my food, no scale. It's a bit scary to me after I feel I have done pretty well since starting JUDDD, with an occasional blip here and there. I am just going to make a mental note to eat lighter every other day. Now I am really glad I have tracked calories so closely on my UD on this WOE, I think this will really come in handy over the next few days. Will check in on Saturday...and yes I am going to weigh in right away--so very curious about this little experiment.
Barb, I feel a thrill when I read this! One, I'm excited for you. Two, it sounds as though you're about to grow your Juddd skill set. Three, I can hardly wait to learn from you when you return. On another thread, Luna is talking about graduating to do this without the counting, by eating lighter every day. I would LOVE to get to this eventually. Let us know how it goes.
And enjoy your friends and your holiday.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:45 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
Kristin, your thoughts are interesting to me in that I spent time at maintenance and now can't wait to get back, so I must have actually had enjoyment in it.

Because weight loss takes mental energy, I recognize that while losing I have less mental energy left for other projects. (This can be anything from creating great art to cleaning the grout with an old toothbrush - any projects.) I think of myself as one of those old-style entertainers spinning plates on the Ed Sullivan show. My next challenge is to keep the Chosen Scale Number plate spinning WHILE I put other project plates on the spinning sticks. I hope that's not a negative image - I do think of it as humorous, but not negative.

Like your analogy of passing through a game level, I already have my eldercare settled back into routine, and my workout life back into maintenance. So, now I'm getting another rather basic part of my life - my weight - set and in maintenance. Next (watching these 3 plates out of the corner of my eye!), I will address projects like getting back to creativity, decluttering/simplification, reaching out to extended family, more time to offer at church, etc. Like the plate-spinner, I may have to turn attention briefly to the "set" spinners and give them another push, but they won't take my mental energy in the same way again.

The next "level" or "plate" can take over as our continuing challenge - we haven't reached a finish line or the end of our act yet, nobody's clapping and we don't want them to. We're continuously doing well at our chosen chain of projects/challenges.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:17 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

First, apologies for thread- jacking. I should have started a new one.
Whitlin', I'm listening. I think I hoped that maintenance would involve less mental energy, and it may when it settles. Right now, when I picture it, it's like hoping I'll wake up with a degree in Russian Literature or something. There's just a blank, completely uneducated space in my head, with a bit of foreboding attached to it, as though by the time I get there I'm supposed to be a LOT more knowledgable about Tolstoy than I am. Everyone around me says, yay, you reached maintenance, but I haven't, really. I don't know the first thing about it!
I don't want this to veer into melodrama. I do want to find my way, though, to your fewer-spinning-plates image.
Meanwhile, of course, there are real problems going on in the world. Just trying to resolve this little corner of ridiculousness in my own head. And surely there are others, here, who have transitioned elegantly or inelegantly and might offer wisdom.
Thanks, Whitlin'. I'll contemplate plates () today and try to lighten up.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:21 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

And, you know, the wise ones might have an easier time offering wisdom if I hadn't buried the subject by jacking the freakin' thread.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Barb- Have a great mini-vacation! Vacations are difficult weight wise but we have JUDDD to help us this time and I know we can use it to help enjoy the great food and keep the pounds off! I don't always lose inches, it seems to be cyclical like the weight loss. I hope you will see movement again soon!

Kristen- I can totally relate to your thoughts (substitute cartoon character hitting a trampoline for cliff and we have a match!) if you start a new thread I will try to check in to see if you can flush out some ideas. Maybe it is like Tina's size 4 thing we just need to keep at it for a while to get used to it. After decades of being in a weight loss mentality maybe it takes time? I can't imagine if I was still at my top weight that I would have a lot of sympathy for my current concerns: I am leaving soon so am planning to go on "test maintanence" as that dosn't scare me as much as "real maintanence" and see if I can get used to the idea...
Old 07-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Kristin, no problem on the threadjack! So many of the things you and Whitlin' mentioned really struck a chord with me, and I would love to continue this discussion. And I think it does deserve it's own thread as I really think there are a lot of psychological barriers to maintaining--certainly for me, of that I am sure--or this would not have been such a challenge for me for the past 15 years.

We just got back from visiting our friends, and I do have an update, perhaps somewhat related to maintenance as this is what I was striving for this week. Actually I will be beyond thrilled if my weight is even within a pound or two. I will weigh in tomorrow, and be back with many thoughts on this. Feel free to start a new thread if you want, or I will when I have more of my wits about me tomorrow. Tuckered out right now...
Old 07-21-2012, 01:36 AM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Welcome home Barb (catusrose63)! I hope the scale has good news. But if it doesn't, I also believe (from experience) that it will in a DD or two.

Kristin and Barb, since I am in 'the last 10 pounds' of WLM, and beginning to have some of the same concerns, I would love to have a new 'Transitioning To Maintenance' thread.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:19 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FairyWren
Stats: 178/136/124 5'3"
WOE: LC JUDDD
Hi Barb, welcome back from your break, hope you had a great time and didn't stress too much about food.

I love this thread and because of you i started taking measurements just after starting JUDDD - hadn't measured myself in years! Here are the results so far:-

Started JUDDD 9th June 2012 at 167 pounds, today (21st July) i weigh 151 pounds

Waist is -3.5 inches
Bust is -2 inches
Hips are -2 inches
Thigh is -1 inch

Even though my weight loss has slowed down now i can still feel my body shrinking!
FairyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:13 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Evie, you can SEE your body shrinking! Those numbers rock!
Old 07-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Hello everyone, I am awake today! I just submitted a new thread with my experiment on maintaining while on vacation, please visit and add your ideas to that thread also.

I weigh the same as I did this before I left! Mission accomplished, Phase One. And I was able to indulge in quite a few goodies. And a few extra drinks. And I didn't feel deprived. Or guilty.

Thanks for all the welcome-backs.

Evie, so great to hear about your shrinkage!! Very excited for you!
Nancy, I also think a Transitioning to Maintenance AKA Wrapping My Head Around Maintenance thread would be great. Right now I need to eat and then am actually excited about going for a workout, so hopefully someone will start a thread along those lines soon. Will check back later.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

JUDDD 3 Month Summary

Starting weight 4/30: 154
5/29/12: 150
5/31/12: 147.5
6/4/12: 148
6/18/12: 146
7/2/12: 145
7/13/12: 144
7/21/12: 145
7/30/12: 143

Pounds Lost in 3 months: 11

Inches Lost in 2 months...
Chest: 1.0"
Waist: 3.0"
Hips: 3.0"
Each Thigh: 2.0"
Each calf: 1.0"

More and more of my clothes are fitting more comfortably. All the clothes I wanted to fit into for vacation now fit comfortably with vacation still 2 weeks off, happy with that.

The truly amazing thing for me in all this is that I have never lost or even maintained over the summer because I would always give in to summertime "treats". Now, thanks to the magic of JUDDD, every other day I eat such yummies as...

~ Fruit smoothies with regular yogurt
~ Baguette for dipping in olive oil with pesto
~ Ice Cream
~ Lemon Torte
~ Chips and salsa
~ Margaritas
~ Eggs and toast with preserves, sometimes cinnamon toast
~ Beer and wine a few times a week
~ Breakfast burrito
~ Eggs and hash browns
~ REAL sandwiches with bread, lunchmeat, cheese, veggies
~ Grilled pineapple and peaches
~ Burgers WITH the bun

And it's not like I eat tons every other day of these things, but these are some of the foods I have totally enjoyed over the past 3 months, and they don't have to be in minuscule amounts.

In general I am learning more about my interactions with food, and I am making better and better LC choices each day, and that keeps me feeling really good physically. This is definitely a WOE I can live with forever!!

It's official, I am in with JUDDD!!!
Old 07-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

And I just realized, I have lost in my upper arms too...1/4 inch--which doesn't sound like much but little muscles are starting to appear without actually flexing!