Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: emilyjane4
Help gaining weight

I just started JUDDD, and I today will be my third ud, but I am afraid to take it because the scale has looked like this
Starting weight 103.1

UD 103.1
DD 105.7
UD 104.7
DD 108.2
UD 107.6

I am counting calories and staying within my limits. I came over to JUDDD from VLC hoping to just maintain my weight and I am and almost up 5 pounds from my starting weight. HELP! what am I doing wrong?
emilyjane4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyjane4 View Post
I just started JUDDD, and I today will be my third ud, but I am afraid to take it because the scale has looked like this
Starting weight 103.1

UD 103.1
DD 105.7
UD 104.7
DD 108.2
UD 107.6

I am counting calories and staying within my limits. I came over to JUDDD from VLC hoping to just maintain my weight and I am and almost up 5 pounds from my starting weight. HELP! what am I doing wrong?
Adding carb can give us a gain in the beginning of JUDDD. You really need to give it some more time before you think you are doing something wrong. You are not! Just hang in there and you will see a whoosh on the scale in no time! It's just your body getting use to the carbs again, and causing water weight gain.

Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
Agreed.....if you are coming off very low carb it could easily be water weight and your body adjusting. It will go back down. For me, having lots of carbs 2 days in a row over the weekend can cause an 8 pound gain.....but it always goes back down.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Good to know because it is making me very worried about if this is working. So even if I continue eating carbs can I still expect to see a whoosh soon?
Old 05-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Depends on whether you are following your calorie requirements. It is all about calories really. Of course, the water weight gain if you have been depriving your body of carbs, good ones or perceived bad ones.
There are no guarantees about anything but most folks that hang in there see the gain go back down when their body adjusts. Hoping that is true for you.
You are already showing the UD gain and the DD loss bouncey thing going there.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
i feel your pain...i have been doing JUDDD off and on for several months. i STILL get wild upswings from eating carbs. my body has never 'adjusted' it seems to eating carbs again.

some people adjust to carbs, some don't...just the way it is i guess. in maintenance i would be ok with that, but i still want to lose 10lbs...so i need to really decide if i want to stay LC on UDs to lose the last of the weight or keep doing what i am doing and just keep a good eye on UD/DD cals.
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 59 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
You might also want someone like Beeb to take a look at your stats and UD/DD calories. You can PM her and I'm sure she would help.

Some people have forgotten to change the kg and cm to pounds and inches and you would get pretty wild and high calories doing that.

Hang in there 'til you get this all figured out! I agree about carbs causing some water gain when coming from LC to JUDD.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
You might also want someone like Beeb to take a look at your stats and UD/DD calories. You can PM her and I'm sure she would help.

Some people have forgotten to change the kg and cm to pounds and inches and you would get pretty wild and high calories doing that.

Hang in there 'til you get this all figured out! I agree about carbs causing some water gain when coming from LC to JUDD.
and I will be more than happy to help, if I can!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: circusgirl
Stats: 219/185/140
WOE: primal/paleo-currently HCG
Start Date: August 1999 primal, HCG in 2010
That's what happened to me when I started! I added starches after not having them for a LONG time and my weight shot up like 6 pounds. I did hit the ceiling and haven't gained past that. I haven't lost yet, but I have other stuff going on. I'm just posting to say not to worry too much. I'm there with ya. And I'm in the 180's/190's myself. So I've got a good amount to lose!

Hopefully Beeb can give you some answers. Good luck!
circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Starting weight 103.1

UD 103.1
DD 105.7
UD 104.7
DD 108.2
UD 107.6

When you came over to JUDDD, did you continue to eat your previous VLC diet? Just eating less of it on DDs and more of it on UDs shouldn't have caused any water weight re-gain if you continued to eat only VLC foods.

Or did you also increase your carbs when you started JUDDD? If that's the case, you can expect to regain all of the water weight that was lost when you depleted yourself of stored carb fuel and the accompanying water weight. That *weight* loss always looks good on a scale, but it's not body FAT...

Some of us continue to eat VLC foods only and just cycle the calories of those food choices in accordance with the JUDDD outline, but most of us intend to now include carbs in our diet, so we just acknowledge that we are going to *carb up* and accept the resulting pounds of water as our bodies restore their fluid levels. And then that higher weight is what we consider our true selves, and we start JUDDD from that point, downward.

Maybe this is the only thing that is happening to you right now?

Last edited by SoHappy; 05-14-2012 at 05:42 PM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

On my first juddd ud I started eating carbs again like I used to, so I am not still doing vlc. I am just really concerned that the scale is just going to keep going up. For those of you who also came from vlc I am ultimately wondering how long it took to stop gaining water weight and to see finally start losing weight again? And initially how much more weight should i be expecting yo gain? How much longer should I stay with juddd before I decide it doesn't work for me?
Old 05-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #12

Quote:
On my first juddd ud I started eating carbs again like I used to, so I am not still doing vlc. I am just really concerned that the scale is just going to keep going up. For those of you who also came from vlc I am ultimately wondering how long it took to stop gaining water weight and to see finally start losing weight again? And initially how much more weight should i be expecting yo gain? How much longer should I stay with juddd before I decide it doesn't work for me?
When you first started VLC, how much weight did you lose in the first couple of weeks? The vast majority of that was not fat.. it was your body being depleted of fluid as your stored carb fuel was used up and not replaced, and water weight was jettisoned! Those pounds are the ones which will now be regained. And then you will be back to *normal*. (And sometimes right at the beginning, we over-gain the water weight a bit, but that leaves us shortly.)

You can expect to regain every pound of water weight that you lost on VLC. Sorry.

But also, when we eat carbs we fluctuate in weight. Sometimes the bounces are huge. And as we eat on this fasting/feasting cycle, we fluctuate in weight as well, as our gut fills with food and empties, and then fills again, etc. Add to that the fact that some of our carby foods can also be salty foods (think chips, etc.) and some folks retain fluid from salt, if they are sensitives.

Most of us who have decided to just do the carb up and accept the water regain from it found that we over-gained water weight at the beginning, and then that eased away somewhat.

For myself, I don't focus, focus, FOCUS on the weight number on the scale to the point where it bothers me. I really don't care how much water weight I'm carrying. I only care that the FAT melted away, that the obesity that had plagued me ended. I only care about what my size is, not whether it is made up of water weight. Just as long as it isn't made up of fat, I'm happy.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Pat
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

I had another UD which turned into an UUAD. I knew to expect a gain in the morning and I was up 5 more pounds. Yesterday was a down day and i fasted completely, and today is supposed to be an UD but I don't know if I can get myself to eat. I can not gain any more weight, and my weight is not coming back off.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I had another UD which turned into an UUAD. I knew to expect a gain in the morning and I was up 5 more pounds. Yesterday was a down day and i fasted completely, and today is supposed to be an UD but I don't know if I can get myself to eat. I can not gain any more weight, and my weight is not coming back off.
sweetie, did you stop eating carbs? If you need to feel more emotionally stable about this, maybe that's an option.

I agree with SoHappy that what you're seeing is a result of the carbs coming back in.

To answer your previous question I think it took me 5-6 days to stop gaining. But I came here from VLC at 185.0 and this morning, more than 2 weeks in I'm 190.0 That's after an UD, and after DD I'm more 188.4. But yeah, no losses.

I do, however feel better and know that the 3 pound gain that hasn't been shed is a result of carbs, nothing else. I hope you feel better soon. I think you're probably close to your ceiling of what you're going to gain from carbs, if that helps. As long as you are counting your calories I suspect you'll stop gaining, or, if you're lucky....start losing!
Old 05-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by circusgirl View Post
sweetie, did you stop eating carbs? If you need to feel more emotionally stable about this, maybe that's an option.

I agree with SoHappy that what you're seeing is a result of the carbs coming back in.

To answer your previous question I think it took me 5-6 days to stop gaining. But I came here from VLC at 185.0 and this morning, more than 2 weeks in I'm 190.0 That's after an UD, and after DD I'm more 188.4. But yeah, no losses.

I do, however feel better and know that the 3 pound gain that hasn't been shed is a result of carbs, nothing else. I hope you feel better soon. I think you're probably close to your ceiling of what you're going to gain from carbs, if that helps. As long as you are counting your calories I suspect you'll stop gaining, or, if you're lucky....start losing!
One way to look at it is to realize that an overnight 5-pound gain after an UUAD simply can't be body fat! In order to gain that amount of FAT, we have to over-eat by about 17,500 calories!!! That's an additional 17,500 calories over and above all the normal calories we burn daily just to maintain our body temperature and body function going.

So, it's impossible for your gain to be body fat at all. It's simply water weight, and if you hadn't stepped on a scale to see it register, you would be completely unaware of this retained fluid within your liver and muscle tissues at all. Your body is merely functioning as it is designed to function, but it isn't gaining fat. You aren't getting fat!

Here are the two things that each of us has to decide for ourselves, as to what we want to do about facing this occurrence.

1. You can prevent water weight regain (and jettison the water weight you have picked up) by eating at very low carb levels again. Forever. Because as you add carbs back into your diet again, your body will begin the process of storing carb fuel packaged with water weight again. To prevent the regain of water weight, you have to remain quite low carb forever. Some choose to do this. Do you want to eat that way forever? That can let you get rid of this water weight you have regained, and the water weight pounds will flush out again, but you won't have lost any body fat... you'll only weigh less on the scale. But you can't eat carbs anymore and expect the water weight to stay off of your body.

2. Or you can just accept how our bodies work, and what is happening to you, and accept that you are eating carbs now as a part of your diet, along with the protein and fats that are important in our diets too. And you will *carb up* with the added water weight from including carbs in your diet now. And very soon you will be as full of water weight as your body can balance out, and you will be in complete fluid balance, and you will cease gaining any more water weight.. even though you will now be able to eat carbs as you want to in your diet. Once full of your water weight, that process ceases. Well, there may be some normal weight fluctuations from day to day, but it won't be what you are experiencing now during your carb-up period. Once you're balanced, you can eat carbs and not experience any more water weight gain. That part will be over.

AND AT THAT POINT... your body will be in balance and the losses of body FAT will be recognized as the weight on the scale starts to go down and down and down as you lose weight that is FAT, rather than losing weight that is merely water and is leaving you with no loss of real body fat.

So either way is fine with JUDDD. JUDDD doesn't care whether you eat carbs or stay very low carb in your food choices. This is only how we balance the calories in our foods in the JUDDD cycle. The foods you choose to eat are completely up to you.

1. Stay very low carb and lose the water weight again. And then eat low carb forever to avoid gaining any water back again.

2. Include carbs in your diet, accept the normal pounds of water weight that returns, and then be done with that process and include carbs in your diet from then on.

Good luck on deciding what way you want to go and what sort of menus you want to eat into your future. You can lose body FAT on either diet, and JUDDD can help you accomplish it. But if carbs are going to be a part of your diet now, that water weight gain is just something that has to happen at the beginning. Sorry.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

I decided to go with the gain. Honestly it IS water weight and if I stop eating carbs it will come right off. But I DON'T WANT a lifetime of low carb. I just don't. And given that no matter when I add them back in this is going to happen, I decided to just let it happen upfront. And be happy that I can eat a donut. lol!
Old 05-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #18

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by circusgirl View Post
I decided to go with the gain. Honestly it IS water weight and if I stop eating carbs it will come right off. But I DON'T WANT a lifetime of low carb. I just don't. And given that no matter when I add them back in this is going to happen, I decided to just let it happen upfront. And be happy that I can eat a donut. lol!
This is what I did too. In fact I took a weekend off of Atkins, ate anything I wanted, then started JUDDD the following Monday morning, at my slightly higher "carbed up" weight, and called that my JUDDD starting weight. It was the best thing I could do for my psyche.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
2. Or you can just accept how our bodies work, and what is happening to you, and accept that you are eating carbs now as a part of your diet, along with the protein and fats that are important in our diets too. And you will *carb up* with the added water weight from including carbs in your diet now. And very soon you will be as full of water weight as your body can balance out, and you will be in complete fluid balance, and you will cease gaining any more water weight.. even though you will now be able to eat carbs as you want to in your diet. Once full of your water weight, that process ceases. Well, there may be some normal weight fluctuations from day to day, but it won't be what you are experiencing now during your carb-up period. Once you're balanced, you can eat carbs and not experience any more water weight gain. That part will be over.

AND AT THAT POINT... your body will be in balance and the losses of body FAT will be recognized as the weight on the scale starts to go down and down and down as you lose weight that is FAT, rather than losing weight that is merely water and is leaving you with no loss of real body fat.
Pat,... My question...when does it stop tho? I have been doing juddd for quite awhile and still go up and down 3-5 lbs after eating carbs....the fluid balance never gets there for me and I have yet to lose fat b/c I keep yo-yo'ing from fluid gained eating carbs. I am strict on DDs and tracing more on UDs than I ever have.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
Pat,... My question...when does it stop tho? I have been doing juddd for quite awhile and still go up and down 3-5 lbs after eating carbs....the fluid balance never gets there for me and I have yet to lose fat b/c I keep yo-yo'ing from fluid gained eating carbs. I am strict on DDs and tracing more on UDs than I ever have.
About how many carbs do you consume on your DDs, and how many on your UDs?

When you fluctuate up those 3-5 pounds, do you just continue eating carbs anyway? Or do you cut the carbs to get rid of the water weight gain?
Old 05-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Lower Carb/JUDDD
Quote:
I know I am not Pat, but it depends on the type of carbs too. If its empty carbs, like sugar or even potatoe chips or things of that nature, you will keep fluid retaining after eating them. It comes down to really, even with JUDDD, to limit the empty carbs and go for better carbs like sweet potatoes and things like that! If you still really want the empty carbs drink extra water to help flush a bit of the retaining water from your cells.

One thing I have learned about JUDDD from the get go is the importance of water. You dont have to go over board like with Atkins. But I find if you have a glass with every meal atleast its a big difference with the bouncing!!! I can really notice a difference when I drink what I drink to when I limit it.

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:11 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

pat, i am as low as 40-ish carbs (DD) to as high as 100-200 on an UD. i do continue to eat carbs.

tanya....but every one says nothing is off limits, then to read the type of carbs does matter? confuses me.... pat and beeb have always said it's about the calories not the content.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:26 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Lower Carb/JUDDD
Quote:
tanya....but every one says nothing is off limits, then to read the type of carbs does matter? confuses me.... pat and beeb have always said it's about the calories not the content.
No no no!! I wasnt saying you cant have it........ I am saying if your retaining water to limit those types of carbs to help if the bounces are bothersome!!! I say from personal view certain foods will bloat me faster than blowing up a balloon. I know I can only have them once in a while because my scale will show a horrible bounce when I do eat them.......like chinese food, love it, but it doesnt love me!!! My scale can go up 5lbs over night from one serving of empty carbs. But if I drink extra water my scale might go up 3lbs over night instead because I was peeing off some of the water retention!!!

Last edited by krow134; 05-17-2012 at 04:31 AM..
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

I think JUDDD may finally be working! i have been making sure I am sticking to my calories, and I even ate my allotted 300 calories for a DD yesterday.

UD 103.1
DD 105.7
UD 104.7
DD 108.2
UD 107.6
DD 112.6
UD 111.8
DD 111.2
UD 109.2

Even though I am higher than where I started, I am just happy to see the downward trend on the scale.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

You sound very much like me....that's exactly how mine looked. Yay on the scale moving down!!!
Old 05-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #26

Last edited by SoHappy; 05-18-2012 at 10:51 AM..
Old 05-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #27

Quote:
I think JUDDD may finally be working! i have been making sure I am sticking to my calories, and I even ate my allotted 300 calories for a DD yesterday.

UD 103.1
DD 105.7
UD 104.7
DD 108.2
UD 107.6
DD 112.6
UD 111.8
DD 111.2
UD 109.2

Even though I am higher than where I started, I am just happy to see the downward trend on the scale.
I think JUDDD has been working for you all along.

This is what I think your early JUDDD story is:

*** You did low carb and lost 9 pounds of water weight over the course. So your weight would have been 103 pounds + 9 pounds of water weight, but the low carb made the 9 pounds of water weight go missing, so the scale showed you a weight of 103 pounds of body mass and body fat combined.

*** You started JUDDD and started eating carbs. You 'carbed up' and gained back your 9 pounds of water weight. So you were 103 pounds of body mass and body fat and 9 pounds of water weight, so the scale showed you a weight of 112 pounds.

*** After a little while on JUDDD, your weight is now 109 pounds. So still 9 pounds of water weight because of eating carbs these days, and only 100 pounds of body mass and body fat....???.... where did that missing 3 pounds of weight go? It must have been body fat that JUDDD helped you lose at the same time you were carbing up and replenishing your water weight. Yay!

It looks to me like JUDDD has been working wonderfully for you! Woo Hoo!

Last edited by SoHappy; 05-18-2012 at 11:06 AM..
Old 05-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Terilynn
Stats: back to LC 1/6/14, going to stick to & make it
WOE: LC
Quote:
Starting weight 103.1

UD 103.1
DD 105.7
UD 104.7
DD 108.2
UD 107.6

Just curious... you must be a tiny thing
What is your goal.... at 103 you were trying to lose weight?
Terilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

SoHappy, it's a great explanation and I totally agree, from what little I know of this WOE.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #30

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Quote:
Starting weight 103.1

UD 103.1
DD 105.7
UD 104.7
DD 108.2
UD 107.6

For Terrilynn
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote