Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   2 week review by a noob non-loser (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/771582-2-week-review-noob-non-loser.html)

circusgirl 05-14-2012 08:57 AM

2 week review by a noob non-loser

And I will qualify that...for those that didn't read I came to JUDDD out of hcg so I had just lose over 10 pounds in three weeks before starting. I suspect that is PART of the reason for my non-losses. And I'm okay with that. While long term I'm looking to lose another 40-50 pounds, I'm okay with it taking a year or more. What I really wanted from this WOE was comfort, and freedom.

So. I'm two weeks in. I'll give you a brief history so you can see where I'm coming from. I have a history of an eating disorder, and like an addiction it's not something I really think you ever "heal." I think you can be in a much better place, and eat healthfully but the relationship with food is always something that can go off the rails. It's kind of like an achilles heel, because it's not JUST about the food.

Beyond that I have celiac disease and am hypothyroid. I also have had anxiety my entire life and have OCD. Probably more than you ever wanted or needed to know about me, but it all plays a part.

I came from HCG and loved it. However I had concerns that it was playing into some disordered thinking about food. I felt healthy and mentally stable, but there was SO much appeal to that empty feeling. I couldn't untangle whether it was just a welcome bit of relief, or the start of a bad path. I thought it was the former, but that's a slippery slope.

The hard part was that on HCG there is a dramatic reduction in inflammation. With that comes a dramatic reduction in anxiety and depression, and as a result fewer manifestations of the OCD (which for me largely plays out with food.) Major publications have confirmed the fact that depression and anxiety is in large part an inflammatory condition and that has proven to be true for me.

The other difficulty is coming off hcg and adding food, even staying low carb, dramatically reduced the benefits I saw from being VLC which in this instance means very low calorie. Also, my digestion felt impaired dealing with all that food after so much fasting. I never really recovered that blissful lack of awareness of my digestive system. Anyone with an IBD will understand what I mean. I am always hyper-aware of the digestive process and it's not comfortable.

I entered into the JUDDD realm looking for a few things. Lasting benefits/lowered inflammation, comfortable digestion and weight loss were the top three. If I had to label them in order of importance they would appear just like that.

So two weeks isn't all that long. It is long enough for me to give some feedback though. The digestion aspect is 100% fine. I didn't think it would be, but it is. I have had moments of discomfort that are fleeting, but nothing like it used to be. I still get the wonderful feeling of DDs and all the benefits of them. Two big thumbs up.

The anxiety is still at a significant low. I can't be sure if that's JUDDD or something else I started about 5 weeks ago (lavender oil that has been clinically studied and shown in a randomized double blind study to be more effective than ativa/xanax etc.) Either way, I am feeling great. I was concerned the OCD would be in high gear with the counting calories, but it's absolutely not which tells me the inflammation is largely cooled which may be letting the lavender work better...who knows. Either way, it's good.

The weight loss hasn't happened yet, but this WOE is something I'd continue even without it. The fact that I have this freedom is incredible. The fact that my anxiety about food is pretty much gone is huge. That I am physically comfortable is fantastic. I think I'm here for the long haul, friends. Thanks for all the information you put out there, and the support that you give. It makes it significantly easier to make the leap and to stick to it. I look forward to being able to give back in the same way. :heart:

sterlinggirl 05-14-2012 09:25 AM

:goodpost: I was pleased to read this.. I know in time your body will be ready to let loose on those unwatned pounds but for now you are feeling so great with all the other bennifts that i think you are just in a healing place.:hugs: I for one am glad to hear that your are sticking with it.. :heart: Love myu JUDD BUDD!

Yam-Yam 05-14-2012 09:31 AM

Circusgirl: So happy you posted this update!:hugs: It's thrilling to hear that your inflamation is staying under control; digestion and comfort good and your OCD is not triggered by the calorie counting.

I agree with Kimberly that the weight loss will happen for you. Some bodies need a month or two of healing in various ways before they will drop extra weight.

Keep doing what you are doing! You are on the right track!:jumpjoy:

KeirasMom 05-14-2012 09:38 AM

I love how healthy you seem to be in your relationship with JUDDD, coming from your particular history. I struggle with OCD (never diagnosed, but every woman in my family has it, so I don't NEED to be diagnosed to recognize it in myself) and I often have to force myself to stop a behavior when it's becoming all consuming (i.e., counting every last calorie-including the 1/2 calorie mints I have, and then I MUST have 2 because *** won't recognize 1/2 calories).

OCD combined with disordered eating, combined with your digestive issues--wow, I really admire how Zen you're being with this WOE. I so absolutely believe in JUDDD and its healing properties, that I fully believe that you will get to a point with JUDDD where you will be losing weight and experiencing the wonderful normalized relationship with food that so many others, including myself, have experienced. It is absolutely a liberating feeling to know that food is not the enemy, or the best friend, it's simply an enjoyable fuel to keep our bodies running. Add to that the fact that your inflammation has not increased, is truly amazing.

What a wonderful post. Thank you for sharing.

sunday 05-14-2012 10:05 AM

Thank you Circusgirl! We love to hear these kind of reports! I feel like you will see more benefits and weight loss the longer you are on JUDDD. :)

Sheridan 05-14-2012 10:43 AM

I'm glad to read your good report! :high5:

Quote:

The digestion aspect is 100% fine. I didn't think it would be, but it is. I have had moments of discomfort that are fleeting, but nothing like it used to be. I still get the wonderful feeling of DDs and all the benefits of them. Two big thumbs up.
Really glad to hear this because having any kind of 'gut trouble' is no fun, nor is it conducive to wanting to stick with a new plan even if it's a limited trial.

Quote:

The anxiety is still at a significant low.
That may be in conjunction with your trial of the lavendar oil, but again, it might not be, but whatever it is, I'm happy for you. I've always been prone to worry; I can "what if" almost anything to death. And while I don't have full-blown OCD, I can relate to many who do; mine comes and goes in fits and starts. I can relate to Dawn's routine with the SF mints and entering them into ******, although not with calories, but it's not all the time. What I've noticed after eating this way for almost 8 weeks is that it's had an evening-out effect on me. I'm just not hung up on stuff like I sometimes get. Way more relaxed and mellow.

Quote:

The fact that I have this freedom is incredible. The fact that my anxiety about food is pretty much gone is huge.
Couldn't agree with you more. It is truly liberating! :jumpjoy:

I think the weight loss will come for you all in its own time. I wasn't always convinced of the other health benefits associated with eating this way, but I sure am now. You know better than a lot of people that our bodies are truly amazing machines, and they can and do repair themselves given the right conditions, but it's not overnight. And I believe anyone coming off of HCG (or any other hormone regimen) may not see loss right away as their body re-adapts to something new. Your body is re-tooling right now (and sounds like it's doing a splendid job!).

Sending you every good wish for long-term success!:hugs:

Luna Loca 05-14-2012 11:11 AM

Circusgirl, what a great post! I'm glad you're seeing such success in varying aspects of your life and reminding yourself of your priorities here.

It seems that sometimes we get so hung up on those scale numbers and if they don't move in the right direction at the quick enough speed that we have decided in our minds that we MUST have, we are ready to chuck the diet plan out the window, disregarding the other benefits that it brings. I know I've been guilty of this mindset.

However, on JUDDD I've been so blessed with an easier relationship with food, a lessening of inflammation symptoms such as red facial skin and knee pain from arthritis, better mood states (I have bipolar disorder, so this is major), and a joyful attitude toward life in general, perhaps assisted by the mood state and/or the better relationship with food. I'm just having more FUN these days.

These are such important aspects of my life! Yet if I was focused on the scale and only the scale, I would be thinking that this WOE is not working fast enough.

I guess I'm trying to say that weight loss is far from the most important aspect of my life these days, and JUDDD is improving my QUALITY of life so much. I'm glad to hear it's doing the same for you, especially with the disordered relationship you've said that you have had with food and with your digestive system. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. You are healing and embracing life, not struggling your way through it. That's fantastic. :high5:

mykidsteacher 05-14-2012 12:05 PM

Glad to read you are experiencing benefits from JUDDD and aren't discouraged because weight loss hasn't happened yet. It sounds like you are one for whom the healing has to happen first. The weight loss will come.

How are you using the lavender oil? My dh is a worrier. Maybe this is something that could help him relax a bit.

b_lou_who 05-14-2012 12:10 PM

excellent that you are getting healthier! we all have our issues, seriously.
make sure you measure yourself! I so regret not doing that when I started IF, and I have watched myself lose inches even when the scale wasn't doing a thing.

Would you share what you are doing with the lavender oil? I love to hear things like that, and maybe it would be helpful for some of us here.

circusgirl 05-14-2012 12:11 PM

I'm using the actual formulation that was studied-it's called silexan by integrative therapeutics. It's 80mg in a gelcap. I take it at night because it has a tendency to repeat. :)

The studies are impressive. It's definitely worth looking at if you (or your dh) has an interest! NO side effects and no withdrawal symptoms if you miss a dose. I think you can find it on pubmed and or medscape if you're interested. It's also been written up in psych journals.

I love natural medicine, but I especially love when mainstream medicine picks up on it! :jumpjoy:

circusgirl 05-14-2012 12:15 PM

here's one:

Silexan, an orally administered Lav... [Int Clin Psychopharmacol. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

it was shown to be as effective as ativan/xanax and a few other SSRI's up to 6 weeks and when they plateaued people had continued results with the silexan with NO side effects.

piratejenny 05-14-2012 01:05 PM

Yay on all your health improvements & thanks for sharing the lavender oil info...I assumed at first that you meant aromatherapy, not ingesting it! :laugh:

circusgirl 05-14-2012 04:52 PM

Thank you guys for understanding. This has been a great, albeit short journey thus far. I'm really pleased.

Muffabuff 05-14-2012 08:43 PM

Circusgirl I am an aromatherapist and wrote and teach a course at an online college. I must admit I have not heard of taking lavender essential oil internally. Most essential oils are not meant to be taken internally. However certain ones like lavender can be used safely in cooking recipes. I assumed that you were using it in an external blend. If you would like I can give you a recipe in a blend for lavender and one or two other oils that are very calming. Of course to use in addition to what you are using internally. Can you direct me to the study you mentioned about the benefits of taking the oil internally? I am very interested to read it. Thanks.
Vanessa

circusgirl 05-15-2012 04:55 AM

If you google silexan + depression and anxiety you will get a treasure trove. I did link earlier, but I wasn't thinking about the fact that you can't link on this forum.

It's also been written up in the International Journal of Psychiatry in Clinical Practice.

Introduction: Preparations from lavender have
been known for their relaxing and mood alleviating
effects for centuries. Silexan1 is a novel defined prep-
aration from Lavandula angustifolia for oral use that
is being investigated for use as an anxiolytic drug.
Methods: We review the results of 4 clinical trials
investigating the efficacy of silexan in anxiety disor-
ders and related conditions. All trials assessed the
participants’ anxiety levels using the Hamilton Anx-
iety Scale (HAMA) or the State Trait Anxiety Inven-
tory (STAI) as well as measures of co-morbidity and
clinical global impressions.
Results: Across all trials 283 patients were exposed
to silexan 80 mg/day, 37 were treated with lorazepam
0.5 mg/day and 193 received placebo for 6 or 10
weeks. Average within-group HAMA total scores at
baseline ranged between 24.7 and 27.1 points.
Patients treated with silexan showed average HAMA
total score decreases of between 10.4 ± 7.1 and 12.0 ±
7.2 points at week 6 and of 9.5 ± 9.1 and 16.0 ± 8.3
points at week 10. In subthreshold generalized anxi-
ety disorder (GAD) silexan was superior to placebo
from treatment week 2 on, with a mean value differ-
ence of at least 4 points (lower bound of 95% con-
fidence interval (CI)) after 10 weeks. In threshold
GAD silexan and lorazepam showed comparable
HAMA total score reductions (90% CI for mean
value difference: 2.3; 2.8 points). The decrease of
anxiety levels was accompanied by a reduction of
restlessness and co-morbidity, and by improvements
in general well-being.
Conclusions: The results support the efficacy of
silexan in subsyndromal anxiety disorder and in
GAD. The novel drug may offer interesting perspec-
tives as an anxiolytic particularly in subthreshold
GAD.

Even more exciting than the fact that it was so effective, is the fact that it was a well conducted study, and therefore accepted. There's so much faulty science used in the study of natural remedies (and often out of necessity, to be honest) that it's dismissed out of hand. This trial dotted their "i's" and crossed their "t's" and has made it into mainstream publications.

sungoddess 05-16-2012 08:09 AM

Thank you for your wonderful post. So much of what you say are things I relate to.
I also came to JUDDD after doing HCG, have a long history of an eating disorder, and deal with digestive issues from IBD. I would say my priorities are the same ones you outlined.

I also came to JUDDD with the number one priority of decreasing inflammation and healing a digestive system that had gone out of control. I am so happy to see that JUDDD is working on that healing aspect for me. My IBD caused some serious arthritis and I am so thrilled to see joint healing going on.

I am really happy to read your report and to also see that the anxiety is at a significant low. I also deal with anxiety and find your report on lavender very interesting.

For many of us, JUDDD has almost worked miracles in healing our relationship with food. It is a blessing I can't even put a price tag on.

Please keep updating us so I can follow your progress. I am even more interested in hearing these significant non-scale victories, than the weight loss.

circusgirl 05-16-2012 08:32 AM

thank you so much Beverly. It's also priceless to know I'm not alone. :hugs:

Sheridan 05-16-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sungoddess (Post 15658780)
For many of us, JUDDD has almost worked miracles in healing our relationship with food. It is a blessing I can't even put a price tag on.

AMEN!

krow134 05-16-2012 06:07 PM

circusgirl

WTG for sticking with it!!! I am the most happy with JUDDD and how I feel!! I am a slow loser, and thought it frustrates me. JUDDD is teaching me as I go!!! Something about this WOE is amazing, and I dont think I can live without it at this point!!!

God bless you and your OCD!! I have had it since I was very young, first noticed when I was around 8 years old. I have seemed to pass on my weirdness to my daughter, which I cant stand!!!! I hate seeing her go through what I go through!

Mine is centered around weird things. Like numbers, things have to be odd numbers, cant be evens. But everything on my shelves and that have to be even on both sides lol! I check everything, repeatedly. Even more so when I am really stressed. I have been late for work many times, because I have to go through the house checking every plug before I can leave the house. If I forget one, have to do it all again!! The smoke alarms at night all have to be tested, which drives everyone in the house nuts! The plugs and smoke alarms is because if I dont there will be a fire! I cant leave the driving way with out praying for my angels to watch over everything. And I cant go to sleep without going over my goodnight prayers either, sometimes 3 times. Because you know if you dont something will happen.......lol! My hubby and most people around me think I am a nutcase because if I am really stressed I will go through a whole conversation with myself about something that happened, over and over. I guess in my mind trying to make it right. Its just crazy! So many issues with me lol!!

Muffabuff 05-17-2012 08:24 PM

Thank you so much circusgirl for giving me the info I asked for. It didn't surprise me that some of the trials were done in Germany as doctors there often prescribe herbal medicines. I found the reading very interesting. For several years now I have made herbal remedies for my family and friends. I don't think most people realize how many of our medications from the pharmacy actually come from plants and flowers etc...Have you ever tried flower remedies? I don't think I can name the brand.

circusgirl 05-17-2012 08:33 PM

Ohhhhh, yes! I am a certified flower essence practitioner. lol. I use several ranges, but the most common one's are the English Essences, or Bach Flower Essences. Those were my starters 20 years ago! I use North American, Australian, Living Flowers and several others as well, but my heart will always drift back to the English range. :love:

Muffabuff 05-20-2012 08:33 PM

Yes Bach was the one I was referring to. I have several that I started using several years ago. I take anti anxiety meds but I really don't like taking them early in the day as I get sleepy and usually wait until much later in the day. As such I am going to do more research on the Lavender. I buy a beautiful lavender essential oil that comes from Kasmir India, it's the only kind of Lavender I use, it's so so incredible. How does one become a certified flower practitioner? I hope you see this posting as this thread is a bit old lol

circusgirl 05-21-2012 06:02 AM

The flower essences are my passion because they are the ONLY thing that stops my anxiety. (well, until recently!) For almost two decades I tried all kinds of meds-pharmaceutical and alternative. I did everything you can think of, literally. And not just once or twice, I gave almost every modality at least a year.

The flowers saved me. After using them for about 10 years I decided to get formally trained. I've been certified in a few ranges by different companies. I started with the English range as those are the ones that were so profound for me.

You can get info if you google Bach Flower Certification there is information available. There is usually a big 2 week intensive in new england annually with a bunch of big name makers and practitioners. There are also certified Bach Flower practitioners that run the level one and two trainings here, but for the third you generally have to go to England.

I also studied with David Dalton in New Hampshire and Rhonda Pallas Downey in Arizona getting certified in their ranges and treatments. Lastly I did the Australian Bush Flower Essence training in South Carolina which was incredible. Those are all options, but I do think everyone should start with the English Range. That was the first, and it laid the groundwork for all the systems in my opinion.

I'm happy to tell you my formula for anxiety. It's worked for every single person I've given it to, even skeptical practitoners!

Scotty 05-21-2012 07:19 AM

I think it's absolutely wonderful that so many people have seen health benefits other than weight loss! Really, that's what we want in the end, isn't it-good health!

Re: lavendar-my grandson goes to a Waldorf school, and all the children are given lavendar oil to put on their wrists at rest time. Interesting...I just love the smell, and even for a person like me with no issues, it makes me happy.

Muffabuff 05-22-2012 11:45 PM

Circusgirl have you given any thought to learning anything about aromatherapy, it sounds like something you would probably really enjoy. There are so many essential oils that can be used for stress externally perhaps as a compliment to the silexan. But I just think perhaps It would be really interesting for you. I wrote and teach an online college course which I had a lot of fun doing. I've been asked to write and teach a class on herbs but have been procrastinating. My second bathroom looks like an apothecary, filled with dozens and dozens of essential oils, carrier oils and big bags of dried herbs with odd names. Are the silexan pills or gel caps? You say they repeat, are we talking lavender burps lol?

circusgirl 05-23-2012 04:59 AM

we are talking lavender burps! lol! It's a gelcap.

I can relate to the apothecary. What isn't at my office is at home and it's enough to stock a health food store. :laugh: I have shelves upon shelves along with cabinets, baskets and a dining room hutch filled with herbs, remedies, oils, flowers etc. Makes me feel safe someone. No matter what happens, we can handle it!

I always figured one day I'd learn about aromatherapy. Right now I'm a registered homeopath and that's my primary modality. Within that I have a few other certifications that are utilized regularly in my practice.

The problem is that essential oils stop the action of remedies, so they're not terribly compatible. I've taken what amounts to weekend courses, but that's about it. Mainly because then I'd have to do an either/or selection between remedies and essential oils!

I love EO's and use them in my house, on my kids etc. They were incredibly helpful during the births of my kids...I wanted EO's, not remedies! They do work with flower essences, beautifully actually.

Perhaps I can take YOUR course! And I wrote and teach a course about the English Essences too...if you ever wanted to learn!

And I don't want to shoot myself in the foot, but I got on the scale this morning. I am only weighing once a week now so as to not discourage myself. Anyway, my lowest on JUDDD was 188.3. This morning I was 186.8! :jumpjoy:

I started at 185.0 but that was very low carb. I'm now eating carbs so my weight soared (water weight.) However over 3 weeks in I'm finally watching the scale go DOWN!!!! Is it a coincidence that yesterday's DD was a wee bit high? More like 700 cals than 500? Hmmmmmmmm.