Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bmoyer1
Stats: 196/149.2/125
WOE: lc
Start Date: January 2005
anyone use the actual calories on dr j site?

I have been reading a lot of posts about people changing up the diet by doing mud, or adding calories here and dropping them there. Has anyone just trusted the calculator on the dr j site and used that many calories?
I know it is scary, so i was just curious if anyone ever tried it?
Betty
bmoyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I use the calories on Dr. J's site and have lost very well. I've lost over 20% of my body weight in a little over 6 months, so I'm taking a maintenance break and will go right back to the numbers on the calculator when my body has rested enough to go back into WLM.

I did try to lower the numbers and my loss slowed. My rate of loss increased again when I started eating back at what the calculator said. I'm a believer.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #3

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I'm in maintenance now, but I used the calculator numbers when I was losing weight on JUDDD. Despite your reading about those who don't follow JUDDD as it is laid out, the majority actually do. At least for the most part, accepting the occasional boo-boo occurrence.

Occasionally we have lost enough weight that it is time to re-figure our caloric needs and adjust, IF necessary. Often it happens that as we are losing weight, we are also improving our metabolism, so while you'd expect to have to lower calories as you go along, you often are burning more, so don't have to eat less at all. Yay!

I think one of the most important things that JUDDD can do for a follower is to repair their "inner workings"... increase their ability to respond to insulin, decrease that ol' metabolic resistance, and perk up the metabolism. But that doesn't get accomplished overnight, or within two weeks either. Depending on how damaged we are when we come to JUDDD, it can take many weeks, into months, to be healed. And sometimes, that's pretty darned well healed too! And it's very, very worth waiting for, because it's possible to live the rest of your life in much better shape, with a much better response to food, than you experienced when you first started following this strange plan of fasting & feasting.

But that means it's probably not a very good idea to be jumping all over the place in an effort to force weight loss that is slow in occurring, without spending some quality and extensive JUDDD time initially. So, yes... I'm one who believes in the strength of the JUDDD plan, as laid out, following the calorie numbers as given by the JUDDD Calorie Calculator. Many of us use those numbers, hold to them, and end up successful and with much better metabolic function.

Good luck to you and your weight management on this plan. It's so easy and so simple, and so healing.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/151/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
I use the numbers on the Dr J site and they have been working really well for me. So far I am down 13 pounds and I am close to my goal weight with steady weight loss.
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: casmira
I do.

Well, that and Weight Watchers points.

On DDs I eat my calories calculated from the website, ensuring that I never use more than 20% of my daily points from pointed foods (in other words, it stops me from only eating pointed foods up to my calorie limit - once I've used 20% of my WW points anything else I eat is fruit and veg up to the limit from the website).

I do the same on UDs, only I eat all my daily points on those days and get up to the calorie limit by adding loads of fruit and veg right up to the UD mark.

And then I save my extra points for a splurge one UD of the week if I need them.

It's working out well for me.
casmira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #6

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
I use the numbers on Dr. J's site.

And I second everything that Pat (SoHappy) said. I should just put that in my siggie. It would save me time.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
I've used the recommended calorie allowances determined by the calculator on Dr. Johnson's site and have not deviated by more than 10 calories over on an UD (one time).

I've lost 29 pounds in a little less than 8 weeks following it to the letter. I experienced a period of about 11 days last month where I was dancing around the same few pounds, up/down/up/down, etc., but kept to the numbers as given and eventually started a downward trend again.
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

interesting, I know i read some actually went by what they want to weigh and used those calories instead of using the calorie for what they weighed at the time, because the numbers seemed so high they didn't trust them. I have been trying to be stricter and eat less on my down days and it just feels like all the magic has stopped, hmmm.
maybe I will stop worrying about cutting back and keep eating like I was.
thanks
Betty
Old 05-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Curvesgal
Stats: 197/126.6/125
WOE: JUDDDING
I stick with my recommended calories. Have been doing this WOE for 9 weeks and have lost 19 pounds.
Curvesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: circusgirl
Stats: 219/185/140
WOE: primal/paleo-currently HCG
Start Date: August 1999 primal, HCG in 2010
I've stuck to the numbers for 25% on the calculator and haven't lost in my first two weeks. I do have the other benefits though. I'm thinking of going to 30% or 35% to see what, if anything changes. I tend to do better with higher fat content, so that's what I see potentially changing. Like using dark meat chicken instead of white. If I'm right that will kick start losses. If not, I'll be patient and just stick where I feel best.
circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
that's what I use. the no exercise option for my height/weight from the website.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoyer1 View Post
interesting, I know i read some actually went by what they want to weigh and used those calories instead of using the calorie for what they weighed at the time, because the numbers seemed so high they didn't trust them. I have been trying to be stricter and eat less on my down days and it just feels like all the magic has stopped, hmmm.
thanks
Betty
There was some of that, or at least discussion of that as an alternate possibility, and certainly some earlier feeling that the JUDDD calculator did give an inflated calorie figure in the first place.

But... I have come to believe in and support that UD calorie number that so often comes in higher than other calorie calculators from other sites give us, because when our high JUDDD number is paired with the very low calories we hold to on our DDs, that seems to be a part of *the magic*.

In other words, that UD calorie number we are given may be somewhat inflated... but that is actually a part of what makes this all work, and a lot of what goads our metabolic function to perk up as we go along. I'm of the opinion that it's one of the smarter things about eating this way!

It becomes pretty obvious, when you think about it, that at maintenance we are directed to continue with our UD number, but to still eat only 50 or 60 percent of it on our DDs. IF that UD number was merely our true maintenance calorie requirement, than continuing to eat at only 50 to 60 percent of it every other day would be eating below maintenance on DDs, and result in continued weight loss.

So it's pretty apparent that our UD calorie number is truly set at a bit above maintenance level in the first place. And do I ever appreciate that!!!!!

By eating at DD calorie levels and then lowering UD calorie numbers as well, a person has only managed to persuade their body to slow metabolic function to match that lowered calorie intake. That's why I think it's fine to fast at and below DD numbers on the one day, but really important to make sure to get in all of those UD calories to counterbalance it on the following UD.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Quote:
thanks
Betty
Eating less is really not a good idea. I've posted in several threads about my recent experiment, but I'll do it again for you in case you haven't seen it.

I'm in maintenance, and will often stay the same weight for 6-8 days, not bouncing on UDs at all. Occasionally, I'll go up a pound and then back down the next DD.

About a week and a half ago, I went up 2 pounds over a couple of days, and I knew right away it was different. I just felt heavier, thicker around the middle, and my tape measure confirmed 1/2" gain on both my waist and abdomen. And it wasn't coming down on the DD's.

So, I looked back over my history, and I noticed a similar occurrence anytime my UD calories dropped below 1500 for a couple of UD's in a row.

So, I decided to commit to 1600-1700 calorie UD's for a week and see what happened. Within 2 UD (3 DD's) I had lost those extra pounds and inches. And I'm now doing a very normal up 1 pound on UD's, down 1 on DD's, and feel lighter and slimmer through the middle.

So yes, I follow the numbers, sort of, except I actually eat 100-200 calories MORE than the site gives me. DD's right now are 700-800, but I noticed the same trend even at 500 cal dd's.

You MUST eat enough to pull your body out of starvation mode, or your body will not be free to release the extra it doesn't need, and will store every morsel it can get its hands on.

Annd, I just re-read and realized you said eating less on your DD's, but the theory is still sound. It may be that your body is going so deeply into the stress response, that it isn't pulling out like it should on the UD's. So try raising those DD cals back to where they were when you were losing, and see if the magic returns.

Last edited by mykidsteacher; 05-14-2012 at 11:25 AM..
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #14

Quote:
thanks
Betty
I was going to comment that by using your *goal* weight to figure your UD and resulting DD calories, it becomes the concept of *Just eat enough to feed the slim person who lives within the fat body*. That has always been one way to figure out a calorie number that might be the ideal for weight loss, down to that goal weight. But truthfully, I think that idea works a whole lot better when a dieter is doing a general low-calories-every-day type of diet, and it almost always slows metabolism down to that daily number in the long run.

I think it would be pretty darned hard to come up with a better way of doing JUDDD than.. just JUDDD. As written.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Well, I am thrilled that i asked this question because I was getting just a little concerned not seeing a real loss for a couple of weeks. Maybe 1 lb down and then just bouncing back up. the thing was I really wasn't even counting calories. I was doing somewhat of a chris powell concept, high carb, low carb and keeping my food intake lower on my low carb days and then 1 cheat day a week. Then I found this forum and thought this was a more organized way, But was under the thought that everyone was doing the lower calories. Well, I think this will make life easier lol. and hopefully more successful.
Betty
Old 05-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
Quote:
Has anyone just trusted the calculator on the dr j site and used that many calories?
I know it is scary, so i was just curious if anyone ever tried it?
Betty
Dr. J's calculator is where I got my numbers, I'm eating it all and doing well!
NoWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Erika1962
Stats: 260+/182.2/170-175/5'5/51
WOE: Not low carb, but low crap
Same here, Dr J's calculator, a little apprehensive at first, but it seems to be working fine
Erika1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Location: Smack Dab in the center of Arkansas (Go Razorbacks!)
Gallery: arkie1
Stats: 286 highest 257/250.8/??
WOE: Low Carb-IF/cngd d to JUDDD/lc on 2/9/12 (230)
Start Date: Feb 8, 2010 IF ON 8-14-11
Love DR J's calculator. Trying to stay as close to the numbers as possible, and have lost 22#'s in 12 weeks.

Carole
arkie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
I follow them too. I haven't been losing as well as I normally do recently - but that's because life has gotten in the way - and I've had more MD and UD then I ought to. Still losing though - so can't complain, as I'm only dieting 1/3rd of the time!!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:48 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I had been using 500 cals on DD / calculated UD calories. But I have lost enough weight that I have had to adjust my UD calories and start using calculated DD calories to keep weight loss at a speed I like.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:48 AM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I use them but I am suddenly gaining so I probably need to go refigure based on my 20 pound loss since January. Darn.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:56 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
Or accept this is a little 'set' point - and that you will lose again if you just keep on JUDDDing!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:31 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bevonjuddd
Stats: 18(UK)-198/12/14-158/12-140 - 5'7" - Age 51
Start Date: 02.01.12
I use the calculator too, but I do my numbers with light exercise. Actually I've hardly ever counted the calories, but I had a stall recently and so probably had been going way over. I'm paying more attention now. I make sure to keep just under that number and it's worked so far. 31lbs down since Jan 2nd.
bevonjuddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:18 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Bevon, that is wonderful!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:28 AM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Terilynn
Stats: back to LC 1/6/14, going to stick to & make it
WOE: LC
No, buy I need to - - I intend to sometime
First month ... not at all (lost 10.... well 9.8)
Second month ... going to try to better
Third month ... when I get there (starting June 17), I am going to do it "hopefully"
Terilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:24 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I started out with the rounded off 500 cal. down days for 6 weeks, but with a 1-month stall, I recalculated and am actually sticking to the DD number now and am losing again. I have never gone over on my UP days but one time in 8 weeks.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #27

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I really believe in the Dr's numbers. When I started I did 2 or so weeks at 500 and then used my DD numbers correctly until I went into Maintenance, after around 2 months.

Since then I have tried to up my Up Day calories as much as possible to kick my sluggish maintenance into action. And it seems to work.

JUDDD numbers work for the majority of folks. If they do need to tweak it usually within the Dr's 25% 30% numbers.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote