Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
I must be doing something wrong

With the exception on that one UUAD two weeks ago I stick to my rotations like glue. 500-600 DD and 1,500 on UD if I'm not exercising that week. I'm bouncing at around 125 lbs and still have not gotten back to 123 lbs. I'm getting super cranky and can't figure out what I could be doing wrong, if anything. My goal is back to 123 then 118, then hopefully maintain at 115 lbs. I know all to well its slow going close to goal but I feel like I'm going nowhere fast

Do I actually need to eat a little more on UD? I really don't think that is the answer but I'm still very new to this woe. This week starts my 7th week of Juddding. I'm doing everything right ( I think) but can't get the right results. I'm totally going to stay the course, but I would really appreciate any comments as to why I'm not losing, besides that I'm close to goal.

I just feel really frustrated and lost. The only thing motivating me at the moment is my fear of gaining if I don't stay with this woe.
Vanessa
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2012, 12:43 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: casmira
Have you considered taking your DDs a bit further down? Maybe if you try cutting 50 calories from each DD this week and see if it has an effect, and if not, trying another 50 next week? That should be a relatively easy experiment...
casmira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:56 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<278/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
What does the calculator say for your UDs?
(Are you undereating?)

--Are you measuring inches or body fat %?

Reasons (other than calories) you may not be losing on the scale:

--your body is healing
--you're losing fat in muscles/around organs while building new muscle
--you have a food sensitivity or allergy that is keeping inflammation high

I hope mykidsteacher sees this thread. Your story is reminding me of her first couple months on JUDDD.

Last edited by piratejenny; 05-14-2012 at 04:16 AM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:00 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Hey Vanessa!

I went through a lot of your old posts. It looks like you were stalled on Atkins when you moved over to the dark side. You exercise on UD at a rate that is definitely going to burn a lot of calories. When you started JUDDDing, you did lose at a rate of .5 to 1.5 pounds a week for a few weeks. I think I see the larger amount being lost early and a gradual slowdown.

So, our question is, are you stalled or are you eating at a rate that is effectively 'maintenance' level?

Here are a few questions/suggestions.

Have you compared the way you were eating when you were losing with the way you are eating now? Has anything changed? Were DDs or UDs higher or lower back then?

For the sake of simple experimentation, I would try keeping DDs at 500 cals and consistently add 150 - 200 cals on UDs. See if that makes a difference.

On UDs when you exercise, are you adding in calories? How many? If you are adding in 100% of cals burned, try reducing those by - oh, let's guesstimate 50% and see if that shakes things up.

Review how much and what time you eat each day.
- There is some magical caloric point at which your body decides the famine is over and stops sirtuin enzyme production. If you are eating all or most of your DD calories at one meal, that 500 - 600 cals may be enough volume to turn off the magic (given your itty-bitty size). If this is happening, then spreading the cals out over the day or dropping DD calories might break a stall.
- On the other hand, although you are small, you might actually need more cals on DD. Sophie averaged around 650 - 700.
- There is also a magical time at which, on UD, you want your body to decide the famine is over. If you are eating all or most of your UD cals at one meal, lay out the times and cals you eat for a few rotations. If you are living at DD calorie levels for more than 36 hours, then you might be extending your DD too long. Eating a larger meal (about or a little above DD calories) earlier on UD might break the stall (it did for me).

If none of that gives you something to experiment with, then I suggest you go up to maintenance level calories. If you are stalled because your body is doing the Weight Rebound shuffle, then you will not put on weight by going into maintenance - your body will grab and use the extra calories. In a few weeks, you might even start losing again. But, if your weight remains stable, I would start gradually dropping DDs and see if increased sirtuin enzyme production leads you downward again.

If, on the other hand, rising to maintenance levels causes you to gain weight, then start gradually dropping DDs from maintenance level for two weeks. If that does not get things moving, when DDs get to the 400 - 500 cal range, begin dropping UD cals.

Take two aspirin and call me the morning.

Another approach would be to really shake things up by jumping over to new eating pattern. You might try MUDDDing for a few weeks to see if that better meets your body's needs.

This is an complex and interesting problem: you are small, close to goal weight, and a heavy exerciser. All of which play in to figuring out what is going on.

I look forward to this discussion! We are going to get you losing again!
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:01 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

PS

LOVE the avi! You look ethereal and lovely seen against the sharply defined logs!
Old 05-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
My idea is to bump up your UD cals.

I had a gain a couple weeks ago that was obviously more than a normal UD bounce. Gained 2 pounds (which doesn't sound like much, but can make a big difference when you are at 125 like we are). It came with a 1/2" gain in both my waist and abdomen, and a very noticeable increase in my muffin top/midriff roll. So I started investigating what was going on.

In looking at my past history, I was able to detect a pattern that showed whenever my UD's dropped below 1500 calories for more than 1 UD, I gained, and it didn't come down after DD's. This pattern held when I was eating wlm DD's of 500 cals, and maintenance dd's of 800+ calories.

So I bumped my UD cals to 1600-1700 and watched. Within 3 UD's, the 2 pounds and extra inches were gone, and I'm back to feeling normal again around the middle.

Apparently, 1500 is the point at which my body does not shut off the stress response and goes into starvation/conservation mode.

I exercise, for all intents and purposes, not at all.

As a heavy exerciser, I think you could do 1700-1800 on UD's. And make sure you break the fast after a DD in the morning with a GOOD, high protein breakfast soon after waking.

It is so counter intuitive, and SO hard to eat MORE when you see the scale creeping up. But it really can be the answer.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Omg I am so not exercising at the moment. I know it sounds backwards but I can only motivate myself to workout it I'm losing. If not losing, not exercising no way. Nancy thanks for the compliment, my son photoshops every picture he can get his hands on. The only part of your advice that didn't leave meWas the part about the aspirin lol. So mykidsteacher you think I should go up on my UD? I'm sorry I'm a bit confused.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

I forgot. On both UD and DD I spread out my calories very evenly throughout the day.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I can't remember how old you said you were, but I believe your current UD calorie number is close to 1550. So that's what I'd eat on UDs, regardless of whether I exercised or not! And I would never eat more than 1550 just because I had exercised.

Now, at 500 to 600 calories on DDs, you are eating as much and even more than many here who weigh 50% and 100% more than you do. That could be one factor that is slowing you down. And while 500 calories is suggested for our first two weeks of JUDDD, we certainly don't have to stay that high.

Your DD numbers, based on close to 1550 UDs would be about 310 cals at 20%... about 390 calories at the 25% reduction, about 465 calories at 30%, and about 540 calories at the 35% Down Day level... and that's climbing up to pretty slow weight loss.

Then you get into the *weight loss/maintenance* level of 40% of UD calories, and that comes in at about 620 calories..... and it goes up from there even higher.

But what this is showing is that for a very petite lady, your Down Days are edging pretty close to maintenance calories. So I would expect very, very slow weight loss at this higher level that you are consuming.

And that suits some just fine, being of the mindset that slow is fine as long as it eventually happens, and in the meantime, the food is great!

Do you feel that you have been JUDDDing long enough that you could begin to work those DD calories down to a somewhat lower fasting level now? That might be all that it takes.

For our sisters who are petite and already pretty slim, there just isn't as much wiggle room as there usually is for the larger/taller gals. Poo!

But, being slim at any height is wonderful, so I'm rooting for you and completely convinced that you will get there.

The worst of it is that when we are down to the nitty gritty of focusing on every single little pound, there is so much that can affect us a single pound up or down, so sometimes we hold a weight for awhile and then suddenly release weight and end up wondering what we did that was remotely different.. to cause that loss? And half the time we never do really know for sure!

Sometimes just hanging in there is all it takes, eventually, but I think you would help your cause if you could nudge your DD calories down to a good weight loss level rather than your current near maintenance level.

Last edited by SoHappy; 05-14-2012 at 03:15 PM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Well, I finished off the day at 400 calories. I would have done 300 but I didn't know my game plan was changing until later in the day, so I didn't plan as well as I could have. My next DD will be 300 calories which puts me at 20% of my UD calories. I'm crossing my fingers that I start losing again.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:04 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sorry that was .

I'm glad Pat came in with simple words of common sense.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 05-15-2012 at 03:06 AM..
Old 05-15-2012, 06:52 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Yep, sorry I was confusing. I was going off what someone else said about you being a heavy exerciser.

For now, go with the lowered DD's and see what happens. Stick with it for 2 weeks, and then re-evaluate again. Hopefully that will do the trick.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:22 AM   #13
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I'm going to suggest this:

Keep your DD calories between 500 and 600 and up the UD calories to 1600. I am eating 700/1700 to maintain and am doing this staying between 135 and 138 pounds. You are 143, so I'm seeing you needing a bit more UD calories, personally.

My weight loss calories were 700/1650 and that is with NO exercise at all. And as you see I upped those UD calories to stop losing weight once I got 11 pounds beyond my goal.

If you can eat below that 500, go for it, but don't cause yourself to be really hungry by doing this. And again, up the UD calories.

JMHO

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
I'm going to suggest this:

Keep your DD calories between 500 and 600 and up the UD calories to 1600. I am eating 700/1700 to maintain and am doing this staying between 135 and 138 pounds. You are 143, so I'm seeing you needing a bit more UD calories, personally.

My weight loss calories were 700/1650 and that is with NO exercise at all. And as you see I upped those UD calories to stop losing weight once I got 11 pounds beyond my goal.

If you can eat below that 500, go for it, but don't cause yourself to be really hungry by doing this. And again, up the UD calories.

JMHO
I think she is only 123 now, and stands only 5 feet tall, so already pretty slim and petite....
Old 05-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #15
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I think she is only 123 now, and stands only 5 feet tall, so already pretty slim and petite....
Yup, read the stats wrong!! Disregard what I said Muff and follow the good advice you got here already!

Thanks Pat for correcting my oversight!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

To clear things up lol I'm not excercising at the moment and I'm a very hormonal 53 years of age. I am however very happy this afternoon because my stall or should I say unintentional maintainence broke. I lost one and a half pounds back to 124 lbs whew! I thought I might be pushing it by hopping on the scale so soon but so many of you weigh daily and I usually only do it weekly. I couldn't take a whole week of not knowing. I am giving you all the biggest. And Pat if there is a degree in Juddd, you surly have earned one. It is amazing, and I'm hoping others will learn from this thread, how delicate the Juddd balance is. A couple hundred calories too much or too little can be a game changer. I keep reading a lot of newbi posts texting about how they are sticking to their rotations and ONLY going over on their UD by a few hundred calories. Well, I was religious with my rotations too, and it didn't matter as far as weight loss because my numbers were off. It's just that I misunderstood and thought I would lose staying on 500, I misinterpreted the book. It's very important to get that keeping the rotations is only half the equation. Understanding your numbers and staying within them is the other half.
Thank you all for helping me to understand more completely both halves of the Juddd equation.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #17

LOL I'm cracking up that you see a weight loss on your scale this morning! That is probably not all due to the lowering of your DD cals for a day, but every little bit helps, and in the long run, when you do your numbers, magic happens. I'm sure happy for you!

I think one of the important benefits is that by holding to our low DD calories, and contrasting them against our high UD calories, we can usually eek a little better metabolism out of the deal. And sometimes it's quite a bit better metabolism. So I sure do like that BIG spread between the low and the high.

You're having to face a bit more *resistance* to weight loss now, as the 50's are almost always a time when our metabolism is really slowing down. I'm glad you have JUDDD to spur that into the best burn rate you can master!

Weight loss can certainly be slower as we grow older, but we can still accomplish it, and we can actually even improve our ability to maintain too. That's encouraging.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

I am sooo painfully aware of how ones metabolism slows as we age. But if Juddding can give me a little something something in my arsenal, yea! If one UUAD can put 5lbs of water on, then it makes sense to me that one day of drastically lowering my DD can take 1 1/2 lbs off. Either way I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. I'm just thrilled to feel empowered againI love clothes and when my jeans don't fit then the million tops I have that only go with those jeans are useless to me. And when I was at my all time high of 143 even my fat sweats were getting a bit snug. That was a big wake up call for me.. And omg when some of your favorite elastic waist jammie pants don't fit anymore forget it, then ice cream becomes the enemy. Unless you are lucky enough to find Juddd. Then no food is the enemy. Just don't break the rules and in my case, really understand the numbers. I can still have my favorite desserts I just can't have unlimited quantities of them. No biggie, they will be waiting for me on my next UD.