Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: 30 day whole food challenge
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
JUDDD maintenance?

Just thinking ahead... how do you all do your maintenance? 50% of recommended calories?
Avicenna is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2012, 05:05 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I know some people raise their DD calories, but I really, really like to eat. So, I've continued to eat 600 calories on all DDs (and I never allow myself to mess that up!), so I can eat as much as 3000 calories some days on my UDs. I dropped below my goal weight and have been maintaining easily for several months. I DO go up and down the scales a few pounds, but it doesn't bother me at all. The DDs always get me back down.
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: 30 day whole food challenge
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
Finally, someone else who also really, really likes to eat
Avicenna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
Well, for me, I think the JUDDD "Magic" is in keeping those DD and UD calorie numbers really far apart. My body doesn't know what to think. It doesn't seem to want to store fat anymore. My metabolism is working better than ever!
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredhead View Post
I know some people raise their DD calories, but I really, really like to eat. So, I've continued to eat 600 calories on all DDs (and I never allow myself to mess that up!), so I can eat as much as 3000 calories some days on my UDs. I dropped below my goal weight and have been maintaining easily for several months. I DO go up and down the scales a few pounds, but it doesn't bother me at all. The DDs always get me back down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredhead View Post
Well, for me, I think the JUDDD "Magic" is in keeping those DD and UD calorie numbers really far apart. My body doesn't know what to think. It doesn't seem to want to store fat anymore. My metabolism is working better than ever!
I completely agree with you, Laurie!!! We're free to up our DD cals while holding our UD calories steady once we enter maintenance, and I do that some of the time, but I also prefer to hold my DD cals low and be able to eat far more freely on my UDs, so I tend to go that route most of the time. But some do prefer to hold UDs steady and up DDs, so however it works most joyously for you.

But I do strongly, strongly believe in the POWER of the large spread between UD and DD calories. That's why I would never attempt a MUDDD pattern of eating from both UD calories and DD calories within the same day. Although that is a way of altering your *day* by saying a day is any given 24-hour period, and you can do your Up and Down Days within your newly decreed 24-hour *day*, to your body, that truly isn't a day. Our bodies have a very definite response to our days as they are set out by daylight and nighttime periods, and I know that my body wouldn't be fooled into accepting the calories in that manner and be fooled into thinking the spread was the same. MUDDD would be a plan that would slow me down, rather than rev up my metabolism! So I stick to true JUDDD, for the most part, and it has paid off wonderfully.

It is only because of following JUDDD that my metabolism kicked in so much better, and it's because my metabolism is so much better that I can now eat more than I could on low carb, and more than many my age and size are able to manage.

The one thing I do every morning is weigh. I expect mega-bounces, based on what and how I eat, but if my weight is heading up without bouncing back down, I know it's time to tighten up a bit. It tells me that my UD calories have been coming in too high. I track UD cals very loosely much of the time, track them completely when I need to, and do a lot of alternating between my UDs that are tracked and held to a correct calorie number, balanced against every other UD that is allowed to simply be a FD.

Maintenance is pretty easy, but since I play a bit loose with my UD numbers sometimes, maintenance is also a process of corrections when needed. But it certainly is fun!
Old 05-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
Thanks Avicenna for asking the question that was on my mind! Great information Pat and Laurie on how you handle maintenance, that sounds like what might work well for me as well.
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #7

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Yes, I keep my UD cals high... sometimes very high. My DD cals are more of a moveable feast.

I allow myself up to 700 but often it is well below 500.

I believe in the g a p.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:49 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
And I often have trouble getting in my required UD cals, and feel hungry on lower cal dd's, so maintenance works best for me in setting my dd's around 800, and my UD's around 1600-1700.

I still get cold on DD's at that level, so I presume I'm still burning fat.

A recent experiment just illuminated the fact that if I let my UD's slip below 1500 cals, I will gain. So to maintain, I need to eat more. (oh darn. LOL).

It is a wonderful maintenance though, in that it does allow for FD's (free days). And it has an easy, built in correction mechanism if you start to see scale creep. You just tighten up the UD/DD numbers for a few days until the problem is taken care of.

Read through the Maintenance Lane thread to follow our conversation as we work through how to 'do' maintenance.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #9

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
We are all different, but JUDDD works for all of us.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/120/110-114
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
This is my first month here, all was going good until last Tuesday! Tuesday I worked and it was not the most pleasant day! Came home with a bad headache that last until Friday! Not only the headache but i was constipated big time too ( sorry to be so blunt ). I did Google for some natural help and found this wonder bit of info - take lemon juice or acv, oo, and honey 1 hour before you usually get up, go back to bed and sometime in the morning you get results! For almost 4 days i was full of %&$#! I did not track any calories for 6 days. Now feeling better but have also gained 4 #! I am now back on track and hope to get rid of those 4 # soon!

Last edited by leonak; 05-14-2012 at 05:26 PM..
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote