Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skuma
Stats: 220/213/120
WOE: Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: January 27, 2012
im struggling

so having just found out that i need to eat glutten/dairy/soy free..plus my efforts to eat low carb..i am really struggling. im overwhelmed
my thought is this: staying with juddd does not mean i have to be low carb to work right? so why dont i focus on the glutten free first, then dairy free and then soy..then once that is all complete take on low carb again you think that sounds like a crappy plan, should i just do it all in my weight loss efforts cause seriously, gaining more weight at this point is just sooooo depressing!!!
skuma is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
You can do JUDDD with any food choices, so that part of it shouldn't be any stress. If you want to incorporate carbs, I say go for it, as long as there's no medical reason why you shouldn't. I have recently started to eliminate soy from my diet and I totally get what a pain it is. It's in the most unusual things (I found it in mixed nuts and chocolate!).

Whatever you decide, I wish you luck. I hope you stick with JUDDD while you figure it all out. I also know there are several here who are gluten free. They may be able to offer some solutions. The best I can come up with is to focus mainly on whole foods, fresh meat and produce, and try to avoid the packaged items. I think that will naturally lead to lower carb as well.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuma View Post
so having just found out that i need to eat glutten/dairy/soy free..plus my efforts to eat low carb..i am really struggling. im overwhelmed
my thought is this: staying with juddd does not mean i have to be low carb to work right? so why dont i focus on the glutten free first, then dairy free and then soy..then once that is all complete take on low carb again you think that sounds like a crappy plan, should i just do it all in my weight loss efforts cause seriously, gaining more weight at this point is just sooooo depressing!!!
So sorry you are struggling. I think you are spot on with your plan. If you need to eliminate those things for health reasons, then work on that. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about carbs at all. Just "carb up" as Dawn puts it. Let your body add 2 or 3 pounds of water weight if it wants to. Then that will be your starting weight on your first gluten free UD.

Take it slowly. I know there is a huge learning curve with eliminating those things. My DGS has to eat gluten free and wow, what a lot of work to find tasty food he will eat that has no gluten! He's a pancake lover. Tough stuff.

Keep posting for support and update us often on how you are doing, OK? JUDD BUDDs really care!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CatherineA
WOE: formerly LC; trying JUDDD 2322.464
Start Date: 5/4/12
"The only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time".....maybe not the best analogy but it bears consideration. Your plan is a good one, skuma. Take it one day at a time. Ease into these restrictions and give yourself a lot of TLC. You might enjoy reading glutenfreegirl and seeing all the gluten free recipes and options. Sending you big hugs
CatherineA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Just my opinion but I don't get why you would even worry about carbs. You can totally lose weight on Juddd while eating carbs. You don't have to inhale them lol, but they don't have to be forbidden. No pun but it sounds like you already have enough on your plate already, you don't you just worry about what you must? I personally have to avoid certain foods due to medical reasons and I'm no longer going to add more to that list if I can lose weight without doing that. Give yourself a break, be kind to yourself. There is no reason that you shouldn't be a great success at this woe, even with carbs. Good luck!
Vanessa
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
It IS overwhelming to suddenly find out you have to eliminate whole classes of foods from your life. It's a lot to wrap your head around.

When I was diagnosed with my allergies in Feb, I took a week or so off JUDDD as I tried to wrap my head around substitutions and planning what I COULD have. And I'd even done dairy and egg free for a time when I was nursing my dd and she was intolerant to those. But doing it for a relatively short time, and doing it forever are different somehow. And I just needed time to process it. I am also grain-free and refined sugar free.

Perhaps looking into suggestions from primal sites can help you with ideas? Just by the nature of the foods eaten, it tends to be lower carb. Treats/baked items can be made with nut or coconut flours, but are still intended to be once in a while things, not every day items. You really have to get down to the nitty gritty basics. I cook almost everything from scratch. The few packaged goods I buy are bought from Amazon or a health food store so I can buy organic, gf (for dd), dairy free, soy free, etc. I got a can opener for my birthday 2 weeks ago, and I've used it once. Veggies are fresh or frozen. I make a salad dressing from scratch. Condiments are sparing if at all (I'm also allergic to garlic, and it's in all of those). I am not completely soy free. The Follow Your Heart Grapeseed Veganaise I use has it in it. But I've come to the conclusion that sometimes, all you can do is all you can do.

Getting a handle on one thing at a time is smart. Take care of the most serious first--any allergies that might be life or immediately health threatening. Then work through the list on the rest.

The first time I ordered a coffee at Starbucks after my diagnosis was hysterical. I remembered to check the ingredients on the syrup, and order sugar free, and hold the whipped cream, and get soy milk. And totally forgot it needed to be decaf--and I've been decaf only for over 10 years! 3 months into this and I still get caught out (like with the chicken noodle soup I fixed for lunch, totally not even thinking that the noodles were EGG noodles. Thankfully my dd caught it and I picked them all out).

It takes time, and it isn't perfect. It is totally natural to be overwhelmed and struggling. But you WILL get this. And soon, it will be mostly second nature to you.

Here's a recipe to tide you over for when you need a sweet, chocolatey treat:

Grain Free Vegan Brownies (from the Spunky Coconut blog):
Whip with electric mixer:
1/2 cup applesauce + 2 tbsp water
While mixing sprinkle in 1/4 tsp xanthum gum

Add:
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup almond butter
3 tbsp coconut flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 droppers vanilla liquid stevia
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup +1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 cup dairy free chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life brand)

Mix all with electric mixer till well blended. Scoop into square greased cake pan. Spread it out with wet hands, or the back of a plastic spoon or spatula.

Bake at 325* for 35 minutes. (I usually need to add a couple minutes to this).

My 14 yo dd has declared these to be "totally and completely awesome".
Old 05-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I think it's a great plan for now; don't try to change too many things at once *and* JUDDD *and* low-carb.

Also, if you are sensitive or allergic to gluten, dairy, and soy, you may find that you
--lose some weight/inches/puffiness as inflammation & bloating are reduced by eliminating these foods
--lose weight because you will sleep better and have more energy (perhaps to exercise)
--lose weight because your digestive system will heal, enabling you to absorb more of the nutrients in your food--which can result in fewer cravings and less hunger

***and then maybe you won't need to worry too much about carbs at all!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 05-11-2012 at 07:50 PM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: circusgirl
Stats: 219/185/140
WOE: primal/paleo-currently HCG
Start Date: August 1999 primal, HCG in 2010
I'd get some staples under your belt. Most of my "treat" are low carb, gluten, dairy and soy free. Even getting 3-4 recipes that make you happy to eat will go a long way.

I just made an almond joy cake yesterday (UD-it's now taunting me on DD-lol) along with a batch of peanut butter filled chocolate cupcakes. I also made banana bread. All three are grain free, gluten free, dairy free and soy free. They'll get me through a week.

Tomorrow I'll be able to just grab one of them if I'm hungry. That coupled with salads topped with meat, or apples/banana with peanut butter will get me through.

That said if you want to add carbs back GO FOR IT! If that feels more familiar and tolerable it's perfectly fine!
circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote